General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Subcomandante »

"Those who wait upon the Lord will be renewed in His strength" - Revision to the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet has been updated and refreshed.

FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH - A GUIDE OF MAKING CHOICES

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Lizzy60 »

Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:30 am
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:26 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:25 am
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:22 am

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it would appear.
How so? I don’t understand…
(Church is quiet on figures): Hey, I see your beautiful temples, but what do you do to help the poor?!?

(Church reveals figures): Hey, stop revealing what you do! You aren't supposed to show that to the world!
No one is begging the church for numbers. They didn't reveal anything just now we didn't already know. They gave less than 1% of what they have to the poor and the needy while spending much much more building temples and building luxury shopping malls.
And not even that 1% went to the needy, because the organizations to which they donated used some/most of the donation for their “expenses”.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Christianlee wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:30 am
Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:26 am
Christianlee wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:24 am
Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:22 am

No but the first Big P to speak is bragging about how much money ("almost one Billion!") we donated to the poor last year.
The members do deserve to know how their money is being spent. Clot shots for the poor?
If you care about knowing where your money is going, donate it directly to the poor yourself. Giving it to the church and turning a blind eye is not the best way to help those in need.
That’s what I do.
Ah sorry now I see what you were saying.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

The "rainbow" that is mentioned by some is not the same as the lgbt rainbow, but scattered throughout the work in squares and lines.

The Aymara banner is a rainbow but no one would accuse the Aymara of supporting the LGBT community. Same goes for the flag of Cuzco (which the LGBT folks appropriated from in the 70s).

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:26 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:25 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:20 am My Master:

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing”

My next prophet:

“Hey everyone, look at us, we gave almost a billion dollars to help the needy!”

What am I missing?
How so? I don’t understand…
(Church is quiet on figures): Hey, I see your beautiful temples, but what do you do to help the poor?!?

(Church reveals figures): Hey, stop revealing what you do! You aren't supposed to show that to the world!
The church already publishes their donations. People know. There is no need to rehash it over the pulpit that’s broadcast to the world.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:33 am "Those who wait upon the Lord will be renewed in His strength" - Revision to the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet has been updated and refreshed.

FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH - A GUIDE OF MAKING CHOICES
I do love that they are focused on teaching people correct principles and letting them govern themselves.

And lots of talk about Jesus in this talk, which is fantastic.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Those that said that the prophets would not tell the people to repent of their sins, need to pay up to those that challenged them.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:35 am The "rainbow" that is mentioned by some is not the same as the lgbt rainbow, but scattered throughout the work in squares and lines.

The Aymara banner is a rainbow but no one would accuse the Aymara of supporting the LGBT community. Same goes for the flag of Cuzco (which the LGBT folks appropriated from in the 70s).
You’re right. I’m kind of needling you. I apologize.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:20 am My Master:

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing”

My next prophet:

“Hey everyone, look at us, we gave almost a billion dollars to help the needy!”

What am I missing?
The false precepts of how they acquired those funds is truly a damned doctrine.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Sexual feelings are an important part of God’s plan to create happy marriages and eternal families. These feelings are not sinful—they are sacred. Because sexual feelings are so sacred and so powerful, God has given you His law of chastity to prepare you to use these feelings as He intends. The law of chastity states that God approves of sexual activity only between a man and a woman who are married. Many in the world ignore or even mock God’s law, but the Lord invites us to be His disciples and live a standard higher than the world’s.

- from the new For the Strength of Youth manual

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

So is the BYU honor code going away too?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

I am attracted to people of my same sex. How do these standards apply to me? Feeling same-sex attraction is not a sin. If you have these feelings and do not pursue or act on them, you are living Heavenly Father’s sacred law of chastity. You are a beloved child of God and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Remember that the Savior understands everything you experience. Through your covenant connection with Him, you will find strength to obey God’s commandments and receive the blessings He promises. Trust Him and His gospel.

I was abused, and I feel ashamed. Am I guilty of sin? Being a victim of any abuse or assault does not make you guilty of sin. Please do not feel guilt or shame. The Savior loves you. He wants to help you, heal you, and give you peace. Professional counselors, your family members, and your leaders can also help.

- Also from the new manual

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

The primary counselor is speaking...Christ will lead you in your personal life if you make time for Him each day.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

his answer to things left undone is so false. When christ visited the people on the american continient after his death then they all claimed that they should have warned more . . .and in one place they were heard to cry, saying: O that we had repented before this great and terrible day and then would our brethren have been spared and they would not have been burned . ..

and our mothers and our fair daughters and our dear children have been spared . . .

Christ's answer . . .O all yea that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted that I may heal you?

the first way to come unto Christ is to repent . . . btw Christ also said that many destructions have I caused to come upon this land, and upon this people, because of their wickedness and their abominations.

Christ is going to tell us the same thing . . . the scriptures are a type . . .no great love stuff here

Christ also says there is still time for repentance . . behold my arm of mercy is extended towards you

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Emphasis on Jesus Christ's focus to fulfill the law, not to destroy the law.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:42 am The primary counselor is speaking...Christ will lead you in your personal life if you make time for Him each day.
I like this sister. Very good talk, IMO.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Christianlee wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:06 am Michigan will beat Iowa.
Hey, you're back!

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Still waiting for 10% of our 136 billion to be used for the poor.
Last edited by NowWhat on October 1st, 2022, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Chip wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:46 am
Christianlee wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:06 am Michigan will beat Iowa.
Hey, you're back!
Never actually left. And Michigan is beating Iowa. My report.
Last edited by Christianlee on October 1st, 2022, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

NowWhat wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:47 am 1 billion for charity divided by 136 billion = 0.007. We have a ways to go to donate 10% from the Church to charity.
Nope. You might want to try that math again.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Elder Renlund speaking

Great8
captain of 100

Post by Great8 »

Oaks’ talk is a prelude to RMN at the end…something is up…

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Now that's something I haven't seen in a while, somebody not named Elder Uchtdorf referring to aviation and airplanes in a conference talk!

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Framework: Scriptures...feasting on the word of Christ is necessary.

We do not ask God to fulfill personal agendas or fulfill a carnal pleasure, we are to ask believing that we will receive the truth no matter what comes out...

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Second framework: Personal revelation will come through our lanes, and not on others' lanes.

Only the Prophet receives revelation for the entire Church, Hiram Page referenced.