Dating at 16 - the new revelation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Re: Dating at 16 - the new revelation

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:49 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:47 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:39 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:38 pm

I wasn’t gaslighting. That is literally what my kids were taught at church.
You said, "The old pamphlet says group dating till 18."

Is that true or false?
No you &#%!@?!%, I did not.

I NEVER stated the old pamphlet says group dating till 18.

I stated "Yes it was group dating until 18." You read in between the lines and IMPLIED in your mind that I stated "FSY pamphlet states".

I don't actually mind that you read between the lines. I can see how your mind would twist what I said into something else; that's fine, that's human.

What I care about is that you are a hypocrite. For YOU it is perfectly acceptable to "read between the lines" . . .but when someone ELSE does it. No, no, no. They are idiots.

Maybe you should actually learn to live by your own rules dude.
The discussion you stepped in to was about the FSY pamphlet. You're not claiming that you changed the subject of the thread, starting with the word "Yes." That's just ridiculous. Your point was very clear, as is the entire discussion on the thread.
No. YOU made it about the pamphlet. You are the one who made is explicitly about what is or is not printed in the pamphlet.

What we are discussing is the standards of dating. Prior to today, the general standard was at age 16 group date (that is explicit in FSY), in general culturally age 18 is when people can single-date. There was never the option to immediately at age 16 start single-dating. That was not the culture.

You are the one that is making it all legalistic and attempting to win at any cost. Stop it.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:52 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:19 pm

Feel free to cite to the old pamphlet saying that says what you're claiming. Because this what the reality was:

Screenshot_20221001-131902.png

Who's doing the gaslighting here?

Is that true or false?
True. I can admit I quoted the pamphlet wrong….but it’s only because of what they were taught at church by the ward and stake.
I certainly don't have any information about what your local leaders taught. But I don't know why they would say or do anything different under the new pamphlet. If they added additional rules to the old pamphlet, I wouldn't assume they wouldn't do the same here.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:19 pm

Feel free to cite to the old pamphlet saying that says what you're claiming. Because this what the reality was:

Screenshot_20221001-131902.png

Who's doing the gaslighting here?

Is that true or false?
True. I can admit I quoted the pamphlet wrong….but it’s only because of what they were taught at church by the ward and stake.
And who knows it might have actually been in a previous FSY booklet. They revise it every 10 years or so.

You aren't wrong. Growing up and as a youth and in the culture we all KNEW group dating until 18 after 18 you may or may not do group dating.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:53 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:49 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:47 pm

Is that true or false?
No you &#%!@?!%, I did not.

I NEVER stated the old pamphlet says group dating till 18.

I stated "Yes it was group dating until 18." You read in between the lines and IMPLIED in your mind that I stated "FSY pamphlet states".

I don't actually mind that you read between the lines. I can see how your mind would twist what I said into something else; that's fine, that's human.

What I care about is that you are a hypocrite. For YOU it is perfectly acceptable to "read between the lines" . . .but when someone ELSE does it. No, no, no. They are idiots.

Maybe you should actually learn to live by your own rules dude.
The discussion you stepped in to was about the FSY pamphlet. You're not claiming that you changed the subject of the thread, starting with the word "Yes." That's just ridiculous. Your point was very clear, as is the entire discussion on the thread.
No. YOU made it about the pamphlet. You are the one who made is explicitly about what is or is not printed in the pamphlet.

What we are discussing is the standards of dating. Prior to today, the general standard was at age 16 group date (that is explicit in FSY), in general culturally age 18 is when people can single-date. There was never the option to immediately at age 16 start single-dating. That was not the culture.

You are the one that is making it all legalistic and attempting to win at any cost. Stop it.
I'll let you go back and actually read the thread. Or, if you like, just do a Ctrl+F and see who first brought up the pamphlet.

I'll wait.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:55 pm

Is that true or false?
And who knows it might have actually been in a previous FSY booklet. They revise it every 10 years or so.

You aren't wrong. Growing up and as a youth and in the culture we all KNEW group dating until 18 after 18 you may or may not do group dating.
Having grown up in the church, I never once heard this. Ever.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:54 pm

Is that true or false?
I certainly don't have any information about what your local leaders taught. But I don't know why they would say or do anything different under the new pamphlet. If they added additional rules to the old pamphlet, I wouldn't assume they wouldn't do the same here.
Culturally 18 was the date of single dating. Maybe you should go back and check the other versions of the FSY booklets.

This isn't hard; there were no "additional" rules. This was something that was CULTURAL across the entire Church.
Last edited by spiritMan on October 2nd, 2022, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:57 pm

Is that true or false?
Dude you are a @#!!$#!%.

Culturally 18 was the date of single dating. Maybe you should go back and check the other versions of the FSY booklets.

This isn't hard; there were no "additional" rules. This was something that was CULTURAL across the entire Church.
Now you're just lying. I never once heard that in any ward or stake my entire life. Not as a youth, not as a youth leader. Nothing. Ever.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:57 pm

Is that true or false?

Doesn't surprise me. You are probably like 12.

Seriously dude. They don't teach half the stuff used to.

I can go back multiple generations and yes that was what was taught; single pairing off in dates prior to 18 was not good. It wasn't a sin and it wouldn't get you called into the Bishop's office, but it was known as something you shouldn't do.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:58 pm

Dude you are a @#!!$#!%.

Now you're just lying. I never once heard that in any ward or stake my entire life. Not as a youth, not as a youth leader. Nothing. Ever.
Like I said, you are probably 12.

Who knows, in another 10 years there will be some other @#!!$#!% called ArtaxerxesJr who states "the Church NEVER taught that a person shouldn't openly proclaim they are LGBTQ".

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I was born in the 70's and in our stake we were told no single dating till 18.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Did anyone else on this forum think the dating rules were group dates til 18? Besides spiritman and artaxes? :?

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:59 pm

I can go back multiple generations and yes that was what was taught; single pairing off in dates prior to 18 was not good. It wasn't a sin and it wouldn't get you called into the Bishop's office, but it was known as something you shouldn't do.
Feel free to cite any evidence.

But let me guess, you have mountains of evidence, you're just choosing not to provide it.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Dude you are a @#!!$#!%.

You going to call CuriousThinker a liar too?

Or are you going to continue shilling as a Churchite?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:01 pm Did anyone else on this forum think the dating rules were group dates til 18? Besides spiritman and artaxes? :?
woah, woah, woah.

Don't lump me in with Artaxerxes.

I simply get tired of people who set the organization above anything else. The Church is always right, no matter what.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:02 pm

But let me guess, you have mountains of evidence, you're just choosing not to provide it.
So you don’t believe that he was taught this because he doesn’t have evidence? My kids were taught the same thing. Why would we lie about something like that?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:04 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:01 pm Did anyone else on this forum think the dating rules were group dates til 18? Besides spiritman and artaxes? :?
woah, woah, woah.

Don't lump me in with Artaxerxes.

I simply get tired of people who set the organization above anything else. The Church is always right, no matter what.
I wasn’t. 😂

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:03 pm

Dude you are a @#!!$#!%.

I said to Mamabear that obviously any ward or stake leader may say anything and I wouldn't know.

Your claim is that the group dating until 18 was the standard "across the entire Church." It is easy to know that that is false.

Try to keep up...

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:05 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:02 pm

So you don’t believe that he was taught this because he doesn’t have evidence? My kids were taught the same thing. Why would we lie about something like that?
No, evidence of his claim that this was the rule for the entire church, as he claimed, not that he was taught this.

As I said before, I don't deny that you were taught that. People are taught all kinds of things. Claiming that the entire church was taught this is a claim for which there needs to be evidence.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:06 pm
Dude you are a @#!!$#!%.

I said to Mamabear that obviously any ward or stake leader may say anything and I wouldn't know.

Your claim is that the group dating until 18 was the standard "across the entire Church." It is easy to know that that is false.

Try to keep up...
Right now, you are the only one who claims group dating until 18 was not the standard.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:09 pm

Try to keep up...
Right now, you are the only one who claims group dating until 18 was not the standard.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension....

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:12 pm

Try to keep up...
Probably so.

Still, no one else is backing you up.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:13 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:12 pm

Try to keep up...
Probably so.

Still, no one else is backing you up.
No one needs to. You claimed the absolute. You said it was the standard for the entire church. Only one counterexample is necessary to disprove an absolute.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

When I was a teenager just about a decade ago (late 2000’s and early 2010’s), the standard taught was something like:
A. No dating at all before 16 (it was often ignored by some of the kids… but not all of them).
B. Group dates are encouraged for minors.
C. Avoid frequent dates with the same person (ignored by some).

Etc.

Let that stand on its own.

Also, no cursing or fowl language please. Calling people names is childish and not appropriate here, so settle down.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Durzan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:26 pm When I was a teenager just about a decade ago (late 2000’s and early 2010’s), the standard taught was something like:
A. No dating at all before 16 (it was often ignored by some of the kids… but not all of them).
B. Group dates are encouraged for minors.
C. Avoid frequent dates with the same person (ignored by some).

Etc.

Let that stand on its own.

Also, no cursing or fowl language please. Calling people names is childish and not appropriate here, so settle down.
That was my experience as well.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I guess I'm not sure what church people are here talking about? Fundamentalist LDS or something? I am old, always we were able to date, without prejudice at 16, not alone, as going out alone really isn't a date, so minimum group of 2 (me and her). that was in LDS in NY. Then in Utah is was the same, then NM, then CA, then Ohio....... Then in Wa, my kids, the youth I taught, etc... from late 1960's to now, I have a 16 y/o grand-daughter.. Never have I heard in any of this tripe of 18..................... nor seen it written (any more than those who claim Coke is against WoW). Perhaps certain bishops and SPs teach what they want, but it was never in any area I lived (in USAF, mission, adult, youth) or my siblings (6) or my grand-children.

This thread is a red-herring trying to make up things to gripe about.

BTW dated my bishops daughter on her 16th birthday alone (two of us) on June 13th, 1974. He was a very pedantic bishop and it was his eldest daughter!