Dating at 16 - the new revelation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: Dating at 16 - the new revelation

Post by Durzan »

So, where’s the revelation or declaration saying that ANY of this has changed? Wasn’t that the point of the thread?

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:13 pm
Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:11 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:09 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm Now you can date one on one at 16! We’re finally back to the 50s! Yay!
Older kids….”No fair I had to wait!”
Well, that’s revelation sweetie.
😂
In all seriousness I always thought that rule was so dumb. Really? Kids can’t go on single dates until 18? You’re just setting them back. Then they fall in love with the first person that they date.
People on ldsff love to make up rules and then claim that the chur h changed these rules.

There was never a rule that people couldn't single date until they were 18.
Yeah it's been 16 as far back as I can remember
Really?!
I'm guessing we can find where the tradition started. I'll do some digging. But yeah it was always 16 in all the wards and stakes I've been in.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

TheDuke wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:30 pm I guess I'm not sure what church people are here talking about? Fundamentalist LDS or something? I am old, always we were able to date, without prejudice at 16, not alone, as going out alone really isn't a date, so minimum group of 2 (me and her). that was in LDS in NY. Then in Utah is was the same, then NM, then CA, then Ohio....... Then in Wa, my kids, the youth I taught, etc... from late 1960's to now, I have a 16 y/o grand-daughter.. Never have I heard in any of this tripe of 18..................... nor seen it written (any more than those who claim Coke is against WoW). Perhaps certain bishops and SPs teach what they want, but it was never in any area I lived (in USAF, mission, adult, youth) or my siblings (6) or my grand-children.

This thread is a red-herring trying to make up things to gripe about.

BTW dated my bishops daughter on her 16th birthday alone (two of us) on June 13th, 1974. He was a very pedantic bishop and it was his eldest daughter!
Hahaha I mean I guess "group" dating being a group of 2 people is one interpretation of a group.

The other was 2 or more couples.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:12 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm Now you can date one on one at 16! We’re finally back to the 50s! Yay!
😂
In all seriousness I always thought that rule was so dumb. Really? Kids can’t go on single dates until 18? You’re just setting them back. Then they fall in love with the first person that they date.
People on ldsff love to make up rules and then claim that the chur h changed these rules.

The old pamphlet says group dating till 18. That’s what the youth leaders in my stake said when they held standard nights.

“Your son is 16, and going to prom with a girl and they’re not going as a group? Oh my!”
Okay this does ring a bell the whole group dating thing at 16. Now I'm really curious where all that started. But I don't remember it being a hard set thing as far as the group dating goes. I thought it was more of a recommendation. I do however remember 16 being the age in our stake where you were basically breaking a commandment of God if you dated before that. I don't remember 18 really an age I had to be to date otherwise I was breaking some sort of commandment.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:33 pm

Really?!
I'm guessing we can find where the tradition started. I'll do some digging. But yeah it was always 16 in all the wards and stakes I've been in.
I don't have a problem with this response or even the idea and or practice that it was taught 18 in one area and 16 for single dates in another area

The big problem I have is the absolute haughtiness of A saying that if you were taught something different well that wasn't the Church it was effectively some rogue offshoot and then blaming those who were taught that way.

There is no need to be a huge jerk about what others have been taught.

We don't experience Church at the global level, we experience it at the local level. The local level IS the Church.

Yes I have called names and swore. I shouldn't.

A little more compassion for the individual experience in their local level in Church would go a long way.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:04 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:12 pm
😂

The old pamphlet says group dating till 18. That’s what the youth leaders in my stake said when they held standard nights.

“Your son is 16, and going to prom with a girl and they’re not going as a group? Oh my!”
Okay this does ring a bell the whole group dating thing at 16. Now I'm really curious where all that started. But I don't remember it being a hard set thing as far as the group dating goes. I thought it was more of a recommendation. I do however remember 16 being the age in our stake where you were basically breaking a commandment of God if you dated before that. I don't remember 18 really an age I had to be to date otherwise I was breaking some sort of commandment.
It started from the FSY booklet. It stated immediately after saying your could start dating at 16 to go in group dates.

I think it just culturally grew in many places that group date until after high school and even until after you got back from a mission.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:09 pm

Really?!
I don't have a problem with this response or even the idea and or practice that it was taught 18 in one area and 16 for single dates in another area

The big problem I have is the absolute haughtiness of A saying that if you were taught something different well that wasn't the Church it was effectively some rogue offshoot and then blaming those who were taught that way.

We don't experience Church at the global level, we experience it at the local level. The local level IS the Church.

A little more compassion for the individual experience in their local level in Church would go a long way.
Completely mischaracterizing what I said. YOU claimed "the entire church" taught about group dating until 18. Now you're trying to claim this was about differences between different wards. That is completely dishonest.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:12 pm

Really?!

Completely mischaracterizing what I said. YOU claimed "the entire church" taught about group dating until 18. Now you're trying to claim this was about differences between different wards. That is completely dishonest.
Blow it out your rear.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Really?!

You are the one you is a churchite and do not have any compassion for anyone else.

You have claimed I have lied multiple times, which is false I have had 0 intent to deceive at all.

Go worship a statue of the Church.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:13 pm

Blow it out your rear.
Way to show your great compassionate. You're obviously so much superior than us heathen churchites.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

From a 1996 church article:

“Dating - Begin to prepare now for a temple marriage. Do not date until you turn 16 years old. Dating should be done in groups.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/1996/2/3/ ... -standards

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:16 pm

Blow it out your rear.
Way to show your great compassionate. You're obviously so much superior than us heathen churchites.
Clearly at least I make an attempt to apologize... but churchites nah they are never wrong.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:23 pm From a 1996 church article:

“Dating - Begin to prepare now for a temple marriage. Do not date until you turn 16 years old. Dating should be done in groups.”

I wonder why anyone would come up with the age of 18 for single dating... Hmmm

Clearly 16 ain't it, 17 probably wasn't it so 18 or graduation seems like a good age.

Hmm I wonder why people would have said this... Nah clearly the churchites are so much better that they rewrite history.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:24 pm

Blow it out your rear.
Clearly at least I make an attempt to apologize... but churchites nah they are never wrong.
Lol! Now this is about apologizing? You've made false attack after false attack, and are now claiming that this about apologizing?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:28 pm
Blow it out your rear.
Lol! Now this is about apologizing? You've made false attack after false attack, and are now claiming that this about apologizing?
As you put it reading comprehension...

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:28 pm
Blow it out your rear.
You already believe I'm a liar so no apology would matter to you. You operate in bad faith.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:26 pm

Clearly 16 ain't it, 17 probably wasn't it so 18 or graduation seems like a good age.

Hmm I wonder why people would have said this... Nah clearly the churchites are so much better that they rewrite history.
Spiritman: Only group dating until 18 was taught across the entire church.

Church press release: Dating should be done in groups.

Spiritman: SEE!!!!!!!!

Lolololololol!!!!

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Durzan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:33 pm So, where’s the revelation or declaration saying that ANY of this has changed? Wasn’t that the point of the thread?
Here is the old:
You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples.

Here is the new:
For your emotional and spiritual development and safety, one-on-one activities should be postponed until you are mature—age 16 is a good guideline.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:32 pm

Lolololololol!!!!
Now who is changing the goal posts.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:35 pm
Durzan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:33 pm So, where’s the revelation or declaration saying that ANY of this has changed? Wasn’t that the point of the thread?
Here is the old:
You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples.

Here is the new:
For your emotional and spiritual development and safety, one-on-one activities should be postponed until you are mature—age 16 is a good guideline.
Bingo I pointed this out earlier.

Churchites are great at saying nothing has ever changed and then when you point it out to them they continue to blame you as being the problem.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:39 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:32 pm

Lolololololol!!!!
Now who is changing the goal posts.
Still very much you, my man. Still only you.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Here is the old:

Here is the new:
Well, you can drive a Mack truck through the new guideline.
Is the whole FSOTY guide going to be that vague?

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Yep, this was what I was taught from in my ward and stake. That came out when I turned 14.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:41 pm
Here is the old:

Here is the new:
Yes it absolutely is.

I read through it earlier today.

It's just a bunch of platitudes and feel good messages.

Not a single word on modesty... But we'll most certainly shame all the young men for ever looking at porn (and I agree it is bad).

It's not even a standard just a bunch of drivel... Okay it does have some good overall message but it's effectively a free for all.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:41 pm
Here is the old:

Here is the new:
Did you see the part where it says same sex attraction isn’t a sin?
Sure go on a mission with those thoughts……we know you won’t act on them.