The World has Fallen

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The World has Fallen

Post by Cruiserdude »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 am
Cruiserdude wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:42 am
AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:37 am The thing that I find myself craving most in Wasilla is GOOD MEXICAN FOOD. We are along, long way from the border. Well...the Mexican border, anyway. The Canadian border is somewhat close.
The horror!! You guys don't have taco bell or taco time or del taco up there?!?! How do you guys survive?! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜(I know what youre saying, just having fun)
We have a Taco Bell. NO Del Taco or Taco Time. Also no Chik-fil-a. We do have a Raising Canes and McDonalds, so we are not complete savages.

(As Jews in Alaska, by the way, we refer to ourselves as the Frozen Chosen.)
Hahaha the Frozen Chosen, that's a good one! πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:37 am The thing that I find myself craving most in Wasilla is GOOD MEXICAN FOOD. We are along, long way from the border. Well...the Mexican border, anyway. The Canadian border is somewhat close.
The horror!! You guys don't have taco bell or taco time or del taco up there?!?! How do you guys survive?! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜(I know what youre saying, just having fun)
Dude! That isn't real Mexican food. When I lived in SE Arizona, I learned what real Mexican food tastes like. Other than burning your head off unless they gringo-ize it, it's a helluva lot better than fast food places.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 am (As Jews in Alaska, by the way, we refer to ourselves as the Frozen Chosen.)
Love it!

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Silver Pie wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 am
Dude! That isn't real Mexican food. When I lived in SE Arizona, I learned what real Mexican food tastes like. Other than burning your head off unless they gringo-ize it, it's a helluva lot better than fast food places.
I am sure I have not the slightest clue to what you refer.

EVERYONE knows Taco Bell is the most authentic of all Mexican food establishments in all the world.

Just like Panda Express is the epitome of authentic Chinese.

;)

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Silver Pie wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:49 am
AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 am (As Jews in Alaska, by the way, we refer to ourselves as the Frozen Chosen.)
Love it!
Herein lies the difficulty...

When do we light the Shabbat candles?

Traditionally, we light them 18 minutes prior to sundown on Friday.

For 9 months of year, approximately, THE SUN DOES NOT RISE.

For the remaining 3 months, THE SUN DOES NOT SET.

I think the Almighty never intended for Jews to live this far north. :lol:

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Fortunately, I AM cultured swine and am familiar with good authentic Mexican food. I've been to Mejico and had the chimichangas straight out of the food carts in the cities and they were sooooo good.... I just like playing as a hillbilly and having fun with it😁
And I agree the real stuff is actually really good food(and even the fake fast food stuff is not that bad every now and then)

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

I hear people complain about not finding good Mexican restaurants in Utah. I’ve been to San Diego or other places close to the border a few times so I understand that sediment. I married a hot Latina that can cook so I don’t have to worry about it. Doesn’t stop us from going to Betos once a month but we avoid those corporate soy meat or unidentified what’s in this? Taco type places. Ugh!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:50 am I am sure I have not the slightest clue to what you refer.

EVERYONE knows Taco Bell is the most authentic of all Mexican food establishments in all the world.

;)
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:52 am Herein lies the difficulty...

When do we light the Shabbat candles?

Traditionally, we light them 18 minutes prior to sundown on Friday.

For 9 months of year, approximately, THE SUN DOES NOT RISE.

For the remaining 3 months, THE SUN DOES NOT SET.

I think the Almighty never intended for Jews to live this far north. :lol:
That's definitely a conundrum. 😁

truefreedom
captain of 100

Post by truefreedom »

I went to Wendy's last night, went through the drive thru, ordered , got to the window to pay and realized I forgot my wallet.
So I drove all the way home a few miles away, got my wallet, returned to Wendy's, went throught the drive thru again.

It would have been so much easier if I had chip implanted in my hand that I could use to pay for things. :|

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

dreamtheater76 wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:54 am
I hear people complain about not finding good Mexican restaurants in Utah. I’ve been to San Diego or other places close to the border a few times so I understand that sediment. I married a hot Latina that can cook so I don’t have to worry about it. Doesn’t stop us from going to Betos once a month but we avoid those corporate soy meat or unidentified what’s in this? Taco type places. Ugh!
Betos is a NATIONAL TREASURE!!.... Wait a minute, does your hot latina wife have a hot single sister??? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:50 am
I am sure I have not the slightest clue to what you refer.

;)
Hahaha this has been a great laugh this morningπŸ‘πŸ˜

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

Cruiserdude wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 am
Betos is a NATIONAL TREASURE!!.... Wait a minute, does your hot latina wife have a hot single sister??? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
No my wife was the last single one. Everyone wanted to marry her. Yeah it’s that Hispanic/Italian mix. My wife and her sisters had guys lined up to marry them.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Taco Bell is amazing. Not all kosher, but still...

Which reminds me of a joke (I can see my wife rolling her eyes..."Why must EVERYTHING remind you of a joke?" Uhhhh...because I am a rabbi. It is in our training and our blood...)

A rabbi from New York had never tasted pork. All his life he had heard people rave about how amazing and life-changing bacon is. How tantalizing is sausage in the morning with toast and coffee. Still, he had never had so much as a nibble of a pig.

Slowly, he started to think...Is it really that good?

A plan started to formulate in his brain...he wanted to try it. But, how??

He had not gone on a vacation in many years, and he decided that would be his way of tasting pork. He would fly to Argentina....far, far away from the snooping eyes of his congregation...and he would taste what all the fuss was about.

During the long flight, he tried to decide what he would try. What was the best representation of this non-kosher animal?

Finally, he landed in Buenos Aires and he took a bus three hours on a country lane to a small village renowned for its delicious meats.

He glanced at the menu and decided to go big. If he was going to taste pork for the first time, he was going to go all out. He ordered the whole pig, roasted on a spit.

No longer had the waiter walked away then in walked an elderly couple from his congregation. Oi Vey!!! What were the odds? He did his best to not be noticed and to get the attention of the waiter to cancel his order.

No luck. They spotted their rabbi right away and hurried quickly to his table. "Rabbi!! How nice to see you! Small world. What brings you here?"

He tried to will them away. He tried being rude. He feigned illness. He prayed. He pleaded with the Holy One.

Some time later, the waiter brought out the most succulent roast pig, glimmering in its own juices, red apple in its mouth, steaming from hours of roasting on the spit. The waiter set it down proudly in front of the rabbi with a big smile. "Enjoy."

The couple looked at the pig. They looked at the rabbi. They were speechless.

Ever quick witted, the rabbi looked down at the pig with a frown and proclaimed...

"So that's how they serve apples down here!"
Last edited by AkalAish on October 2nd, 2022, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

dreamtheater76 wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 11:01 am
Cruiserdude wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 am

No my wife was the last single one. Everyone wanted to marry her. Yeah it’s that Hispanic/Italian mix. My wife and her sisters had guys lined up to marry them.
Sounds like my ex's family. Argentina and Italian blood. Yes those genes can make some pretty ladies....Thanks for humoring me tho! lol

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 11:05 am
Taco Bell is amazing. Not all kosher, but still...

Which reminds me of a joke (I can see my wife rolling her eyes..."Why must EVERYTHING remind you of a joke?" Uhhhh...because I am a rabbi. It is in our training and our blood...)

A rabbi from New York had never tasted pork. All his life he had heard people rave about how amazing and life-changing bacon is. How tantalizing is sausage in the morning with toast and coffee. Still, he had never had so much as a nibble of a pig.

Slowly, he started to think...Is it really that good?

A plan started to formulate in his brain...he wanted to try it. But, how??

He had not gone on a vacation in many years, and he decided that would be his way of tasting pork. He would fly to Argentina....far, far away from the snooping eyes of his congregation...and he would taste what all the fuss was about.

During the long flight, he tried to decide what he would try. What was the best representation of this non-kosher animal?

Finally, he landed in Buenos Aires and he took a bus three hours on a country lane to a small village renowned for its delicious meats.

He glanced at the menu and decided to go big. If he was going to taste pork for the first time, he was going to go all out. He ordered the whole pig, roasted on a spit.

No longer had the waiter walked away then in walked an elderly couple from his congregation. Oi Vey!!! What were the odds? He did his best to not be noticed and to get the attention of the waiter to cancel his order.

No luck. They spotted their rabbi right away and hurried quickly to his table. "Rabbi!! How nice to see you! Small world. What brings you here?"

He tried to will them away. He tried being rude. He feigned illness. He prayed. He pleaded with the Holy One.

Some time later, the waiter brought out the most succulent roast pig, glimmering in its own juices, red apple in its mouth, steaming from hours of roasting on the spit. The waiter set it down proudly in front of the rabbi with a big smile. "Enjoy."

The couple looked at the pig. They looked at the rabbi. They were speechless.

Every quick witted, the rabbi looked down at the pig with a frown and proclaimed...

"So that's how they serve apples down here!"
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Edit: just saw you are Jewish. Skip the lard and bacon grease in the beans I guess. Lol. Maybe you can't eat the meat with dairy either? Sorry, I hope someone enjoys the recipes.

It is easy to make your own and tastes better. Most ingredients can be found in regular grocery store's Mexican or ethnic section. A couple of our family favorites:(keep in mind I have 8 kids so invite the neighbors or cut down the size of the recipe ;) )

Pozole:
Cook in a very large pot:
1 extra large can of hominey (#10 size)
1 can or 2 chicken breast (shred after cooked)

In small pot:
Some of the chicken broth from the big pot
3-5 dried chili guajillo (take the stems off the dried chilis, but keep as many seeds as possible for flavor)
3-5 dried chili ancho
Chunk of onion
chunk if garlic

Cook the small pot until the chili's are soft. Blend all of the small pots ingredients until smooth. Pour into large pot and simmer.

Allow each person to top their bowl with lettuce, salt, lemon juice, oregano, diced onions, sliced radishes to taste.

Serve with tostadas spread with sour cream as a side.

Tinga:
Slice 1/2 an onion into strips and sauteed in oil in a large pot. Add 8 cans of chicken or cook and shred 8 or more chicken breasts.

In a blender put 1/4 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 3-4 Roma tomatoes, between 3 chilis and the whole can of chili chipotle in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you want this) some of the chicken broth from the canned or cooked chicken. Blend until smooth. You don't want any visible pieces of the chilis or you will feel the heat.

Pour the sauce from the blender into the onion and chicken pot. Simmer. Serve -on- tostadas spread with sour cream. It is messy, but worth it.

We love to have limeade to drink with both of these meals.

Traditional Mexican food is so easy and generally healthy to make from scratch.

It is an easy to make Pico de Gallo, any internet recipe will do.

A bit if masa (corn flour) and water mixed together, smashed flat and cooked on a dry skillet can be made into sopes when topped with beans, lettuce, crema, hot sauce (and meat if you have it.)

Refried beans are easy, just cooked the pinto beans and then re-fry with onion and lard or leftover bacon grease.

You don't need a restaurant. Too expensive for such easy food.

Enjoy!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

AkalAish wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 am

(As Jews in Alaska, by the way, we refer to ourselves as the Frozen Chosen.)
:lol: I love this!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

FoundMyEden wrote: ↑September 28th, 2022, 2:14 pm Short staffed. One was taken and the other remained.

Darn I’m still here. :(

Then again I ate a Farmers Wrap from Tim Horton’s and felt for a moment that I died and went to heaven. :lol:

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Having spent most of my life in California with good Mexican food, moving to Utah was a big downer. When I lived here in the early 80s, well, in Provo, I was on the opening staff of Joe Vera’s Mexican Feistaraunt, which led to a chips and salsa habit. We moved back and tried eating there but felt the food had gone downhill (their salsa is still the best, though). Then we heard about Red Iguana in SCL and tried their mole coleradito (sp.?). We hate driving into Sodom but when we do we always stop at Red Iguana. Short of that we eat at taco shops or I make tacos at home with tri tip or carnitas.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Considering there is nothing in Allisaw……..try El Pastors next time you’re in Eagle river.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

BeNotDeceived wrote: ↑September 28th, 2022, 5:31 pm
Luke wrote: ↑September 28th, 2022, 5:08 pmLobby hours?
Times when they open for dine in.
yeah.

but I wouldn't call what you do at DQ / McD's "dining".

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

PressingForward wrote: ↑October 5th, 2022, 7:18 am
Considering there is nothing in Allisaw……..try El Pastors next time you’re in Eagle river.
Tacos Cancun is...passable. I will definitely check out El Pastors. Thank you for the tip!