Get the blessings

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Get the blessings

Post by Mamabear »

“You need to do xyz, so you can get the blessings.”
“Elder Smith, as a new missionary you and your family will receive many blessings from your service.”
Does anyone know where this saying/ concept cam from?
In some instances it can be guilt tripping.
It isn’t doctrine. If it was, the 12 apostles and other prophets wouldn’t have had trials and been tortured.

Ado
captain of 100

Re: Get the blessings

Post by Ado »

There is a lot of it in my patriarchal blessing.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

The Lord says do so & so & I will bless so & so their is certain key words & signs belonging to the priesthood which much be observed in order to obtaine the Blessings

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... woodruff/3

There is a law irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world upon which all blessings are predicated; and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... -clayton/5

Obviously the saying is talking about blessings such as salvation. It doesn’t mean that your life will be easy. Whatever interpretation you’re thinking of or what the LDS Church says I think isn’t relevant to the actual principle.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

I recall something about my family and I receiving many blessings as a part of a prayer to prepare or set me apart for missionary service. It wasn't in writing anywhere.

I hear people say the first one frequently, but I don't like it. "Get the blessings?" What blessings? Paying tithing didn't stop me from skirting the edge of "homeless" for a year despite almost no spending on luxuries for myself. Obeying the Word of Wisdom doesn't stop me from having to continually work harder and cut out more of the junk I've already more than halved to keep from gaining too much body fat, and my own obedience and effort don't convince my wife to care for her own body and mind. Preparing and taking my children almost every week to attend Church leads to them still arguing with one another, placing themselves above their brothers and sisters.

I don't do those things "for the blessings." I do it because I want to be like God. Doing it "for the blessings" renders an attempt at transforming one's self and being converted into a selfish act of seeking rewards.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I'm guessing it comes, in part, from this scripture from Mosiah

24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?

The thing is, we don't know how we will be blessed though. There are lots of tangible and intangible blessings. Having His spirit with us is a blessing. Not getting sick. Etc. I don't like when, sometimes, certain blessings are pronounced by leaders when they are really hopeful guesses.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Luke wrote: September 26th, 2022, 1:53 pm The Lord says do so & so & I will bless so & so their is certain key words & signs belonging to the priesthood which much be observed in order to obtaine the Blessings

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... woodruff/3

There is a law irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world upon which all blessings are predicated; and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... -clayton/5

Obviously the saying is talking about blessings such as salvation. It doesn’t mean that your life will be easy. Whatever interpretation you’re thinking of or what the LDS Church says I think isn’t relevant to the actual principle.
Also, what if getting $1M was actually a curse? Would you be willing to sin enough to deserve it?

Personally I’m not a fan of the universal vending machine doctrine. God gives, God takes, and only God knows why.