Blacklisted

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Blacklisted

Post by Lexew1899 »

I was trying to make a post to the forum from my works’ Wifi today, and it said my domain was blacklisted (if I remember correctly), and it wouldn’t let me post. What causes this? Was someone banned from that IP?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Blacklisted

Post by Silver Pie »

That's strange. It does sound like someone using that IP address was banned/blocked.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

I don't know if Brian uses Spamhaus or not. One would not necessarily know. It has to be turned off on purpose to eliminate checking Spamhaus for spammers. The problem is well documented with PHPBB and causes regular people that happen to be issued an IP that was flagged as spam at Spamhaus. The error message will specifically state spamhaus if this is the case.

So many people use a different IP every time they log into the Internet that the chances are very high that someone else has used that very IP for nefarious purposes.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

I get that message.sometimes, but not always. Sometimes I can post.

Weird, heh?

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I teach network defense certifications. The internet has become so plagued with garbage and so many nefarious actors that it is getting difficult for the legitimate operators to keep things in check. Even with firewalls and fairly decent filtering software the refuse on the net is slowing everything down. I think this will be to our benefit in time. As the surveillance state goes full bore, a lot of the data they are seeking to collect will get piled up with the spam and garbage that floods the net. Might actually give us some limited protection. You can hide amongst the flotsam and jetsom if you know how.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

This happened to me yesterday when I tried to respond to a post. I'm trying on my phone, using data instead of wifi to see if I can post now.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Well, that worked.

The instructions spamhaus has to try to fix it makes no sense to a regular person. Not everyone is a computer geek.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Whoa! I'm on my computer, and the site let me post (in a different thread)! I guess, like JuneBug said, it comes and goes.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Silver Pie wrote: December 18th, 2022, 10:44 am Whoa! I'm on my computer, and the site let me post (in a different thread)! I guess, like JuneBug said, it comes and goes.
There is only one cause. There has only ever been one cause. Spamhaus has blocked hundreds of millions of IPs. It is well documented at PHPBB.com. All the admin of any phpbb forum needs to do to fix it is login as admin, General->Security Settings-> Turn off check against Blackhole DNS. There is nothing a user can do. The admin can fix it in less than 5 seconds.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Fred wrote: December 18th, 2022, 10:57 am There is only one cause. There has only ever been one cause. Spamhaus has blocked hundreds of millions of IPs. It is well documented at PHPBB.com. All the admin of any phpbb forum needs to do to fix it is login as admin, General->Security Settings-> Turn off check against Blackhole DNS. There is nothing a user can do. The admin can fix it in less than 5 seconds.
I wonder if the Creator fixed it, then? 🤔

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Silver Pie wrote: December 18th, 2022, 10:44 am Whoa! I'm on my computer, and the site let me post (in a different thread)! I guess, like JuneBug said, it comes and goes.
Somebody likes you besides me.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

I’ll see if it still happens at work. That’s the only time I get it.