The Rings Of Power is really good (The Lord Of The Rings) @O_I

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
creator
(of the Forum)

The Rings Of Power is really good (The Lord Of The Rings) @O_I

Post by creator »

I keep seeing that some (many?) Lord of the Rings fans don't like The Rings of Power show but I'm really enjoying it. And I appreciate the symbolism found in the characters/lore.

I've never read any of the LotR books but am somewhat familiar with the mythology/history that Tolkien based his characters on.

@Original_Intent (and others), why don't you like it?

(¬‿¬)

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Re: The Rings Of Power is really good (The Lord Of The Rings) @O_I

Post by Wolfwoman »

Maybe I'll watch it then. I had only heard it was awful, so I haven't watched it at all yet.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I only heard it was awful from LotR book fans (did they even watch it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I haven't watched it. Just based on the trailers and reviews I could tell I would not like it. But you are the second person that has surprised me by saying they liked it. I am a huge fan of the books, loved the movies, thought the Hobbit movies were pretty terrible (even though made by the same director as Lord of the Rings and with clearly a much larger budget). Critical Drinker is a critic that I usually agree with, I would say his opinion was one that red-flagged the shows for me. Language warning, he does use ALL the words.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

This kind of sums up how I feel about Rings of Power and most of the other movies he is talking about. I guess I am part of "toxic fan base".
Again, language warning!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Original_Intent wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:00 pmCritical Drinker is a critic that I usually agree with, I would say his opinion was one that red-flagged the shows for me.
They aren't wrong about all of their complaints, but I still find it to be enjoyable.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

creator wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:15 pmThey aren't wrong about all of their complaints, but I still find it to be enjoyable.
what about it specifically do you enjoy?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Like I said in my first post "I appreciate the symbolism found in the characters/lore", and I find the story to be interesting.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

creator wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:15 pm
Original_Intent wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:00 pmCritical Drinker is a critic that I usually agree with, I would say his opinion was one that red-flagged the shows for me.
They aren't wrong about all of their complaints, but I still find it to be enjoyable.
That's what's important, that you enjoy it. My opinions were just by reputation, not what I had seen. But Drinker totally nailed my feelings about other "woke" shows that I did watch.

Certainly, with their budget, at the very least they should have made a show that is pleasant to look at.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

It’s actually not bad. The Dwarves and Harfoots are the best part. Galadriel is boring though. Could pretty much cut her out of the story and wouldn’t be missing anything yet.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Elves are not alien enough... they're are more like hybrids. Hobbits are too dumby.
There's no male hero archetype.
Lacks biblical undertones
LoR is meant to show these things imo.

That being said....
The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy took almost 10 years to make. And all three parts were filmed at the same time, they just spaced the releases. We're not going to get another 📽️ adaptation of LoR like Peter Jackson's.

And the Rings of Power isn't a direct adaptation anyways.

I like it and will keep watching it.

Plus it just makes fantasy book field bigger.

Song of ice and Fire, Wheel of Time are books I grew up with. They both went to film, game of thrones stayed true to the source material (song of ice and fire)....Wheel of Time did not. f that show.

The Wheel of Time is a better book than Song of Ice&Fire imo

And I'm thinking Brandon Sanderson will be the next one getting a 📽️ adaptation

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Lexew1899 wrote: September 24th, 2022, 6:49 pm The Dwarves and Harfoots are the best part. Galadriel is boring though.
I do agree about the Dwarves and Harfoots being the better part, but I also like Galadriel's story.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Maybe I’ll have to go back to it if there are things more worthy in it to draw from. I couldn’t get past the first 2 shows. The strong female lead and the weak male figures theme is getting old. When Kevin Smith did that to Masters of the Universe: Revelation, that was the last straw for me. And now Disney is going full social justice warrior on everything. However, if you haven’t read the comments section on the new Little Mermaid trailer from Disney, it’s a must see—hilarious.

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

creator wrote: September 24th, 2022, 2:52 pm I keep seeing that some (many?) Lord of the Rings fans don't like The Rings of Power show but I'm really enjoying it. And I appreciate the symbolism found in the characters/lore.

I've never read any of the LotR books but am somewhat familiar with the mythology/history that Tolkien based his characters on.

(¬‿¬)
As a big Tolkien fan, I am also enjoying The Rings of Power. Adds a little something new, but holding true to a Tolkien feel. Atleast in my opinion. Not a fan of how the have presented lord Elrond’s features though 😒 seems like they stuffed his head in a box 😆

Down_the_rabbithole
captain of 100

Post by Down_the_rabbithole »

As I've said before, the hobbits and Gandalf should have just caught rides with the giant eagles to where they needed to go. Could have saved them a lot of time & trouble. I guess it would have made for a short and not as adventurous story though. 😁

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Best person to watch on this is Overlord DVD, aka Lord Doomcock. He pulls no punches. Nerdrotic also discusses it, although he's more longwinded.

I've sat through five episodes of this, so I think I can
My take. I don't mind some of the city and landscapes you see in it... but here's the thing... the acting and the script are horrible. I actually don't find Galadriel (Morfydd Clark) anywhere near the worst.

The most hideous characters are the Harfoots, who are dirty, crusty self-righteous parodies of Hobbits, and appear to reflect the self-image of those behind this project.

And don't get me onto the dwarves. Horrible fake stage Scottish accents and a whole host of other things.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Amazon-IMDB has been caught censoring and removing negative reviews of the series.

Lord Doomcock (!) pulls no punches about the wokeness into geeky franchises. He has been highly critical of the likes of recent Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who etc.

I don't know if all of his sources are correct but I find his videos on this are more entertaining than the series itself. (Bad language warning.)

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

creator wrote: September 24th, 2022, 2:52 pm I keep seeing that some (many?) Lord of the Rings fans don't like The Rings of Power show but I'm really enjoying it. And I appreciate the symbolism found in the characters/lore.

(¬‿¬)
Therein lies the problem 😒

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

rings.jpg
rings.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 685 times

abijah
pleb in zion

EVIL CANNOT CREATE, IT CAN ONLY CORRUPT

Post by abijah »

it's legit 0/10

make no mistake, it was no coincidence that the show premiered on the anniversary of Tolkien's death.

it's a caricature of the more-general social cancer the West is facing, in regards to the controlled demolition of Culture we have been suffering at the hands of malevolent TBTP
abijah wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 9:20 pm a good way to destroy a culture is to destroy its stories, i'd guess..
they turned this character who near-perfectly captured the sublimity of divine`Femininity/noble`Queenhood...

.... into this abomination 🤮

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

“There is one memorable character, called Galadriel - who we are told is an heroic leader; but who is shown as a sour-faced, over-promoted middle-manager; an entitled "Karen" - who happens to have ridiculously incredible super-powers (such as being able to swim - apparently - across thousands of miles of ocean).

But her greatest super-power is certainly her egotistic selfishness. If she is pulled from the freezing sea, or is starving and gets handed food; she does not say thank you, nor indicate gratitude in any shape or form. Instead, whenever Galadriel is helped, she simply demands that her rescuers will instantly provide whatever resources and assistance her current whim dictates.”

https://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/2 ... t.html?m=1

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Thus far, I’ve enjoyed the show. I get some of the criticism, but overall I think the characters are interesting and the cinematography is really well executed.

Galadriel does come off abrasive but what is interesting is that nobody in her world likes her either because of it! She pretty much rubs everyone the wrong way.

But she does get knocked down a few notches and has to start relying on others and listening to them to accomplish her aims.

So she does have somewhat of an arc but also she’s lived for thousands of years so she’s gained skills and knowledge which makes her formidable but they really skim over that growth pretty fast so we don’t really get a chance to see that arc. We kind of fast forward to where she has risen to a high level of achievement.

So really the only thing that makes sense is to knock her down a few notches which is what happens. I think if they keep knocking her down far more that would make the story more interesting. People could relate to her and cheer for her but she needs to achieve that underdog status. Maybe she will.

I’m interested to see what they do with the characters.

The fact that they’ve introduced other ethnicities doesn’t bother me. It may not be “cannon” but I think it makes the characters more distinctive and easier to all tell apart.

It think it would make more sense to have the tribes be more homogeneous. Like it would have made more sense for the Harfoots all one ethnicity; make ‘em all “black.” I don’t see how it makes sense to have such a variety of ethnicities in such small tribes.

A whole nation of “black” elves, why not? We have multiple ethnicities all over earth, why not middle earth?

But still, that’s something I could really care less about.

I do think that they did this on purpose to intentionally create and fuel controversy to drive discussion. Disney does this too and it is all a pretty disgusting way to push views and such.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

I will say this, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Rings of Power. While not fully faithful to Tolkien's works (and keep in mind that they (Amazon) did not have the rights to the Silmarillion et al) they've done a decent job of capturing the visuals and magic of Middle Earth and surrounding areas.

It's not as good as the LOTR trilogy but IMO it is better than the Hobbit "trilogy." 8/10 so far.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Subcomandante wrote: September 26th, 2022, 1:12 am I will say this, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Rings of Power. While not fully faithful to Tolkien's works (and keep in mind that they (Amazon) did not have the rights to the Silmarillion et al) they've done a decent job of capturing the visuals and magic of Middle Earth and surrounding areas.

It's not as good as the LOTR trilogy but IMO it is better than the Hobbit "trilogy." 8/10 so far.
I've watched five episodes and the script & the acting are dreadful. (With a few honourable exceptions.) These are pretty basic things in drama terms. It's also dull as dishwater and moves along even more slowly than the original series of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I don't actually mind the actress playing Galadriel as I've said above — I wish this series had concentrated on the elves more, because their actors seem to work the best.

It was a huge mistake not to include some notable British actors in it like Game of Thrones. We only get Lenny Henry and Peter Mullan. Mullan's barely in it and Henry is horribly miscast.

There is one scene in which Galadriel, a lone shipwrecked elf, turns up in Numenór and the locals have a race riot... saying all the elves are coming in to take their jobs. Not very subtle, and another sign of certain supposedly progressive people's contempt for the working class.

The Harfoots (the obvious mirror for the writers od the show) like to say how they're all nice and kind, but apparently if you don't keep up with their regular migration, you're left behind to die and they may hold a memorial service when they settle down. The Harfoot's accent is all over the place. At one time it's the North Side of Dublin in Ireland, and the next more like a Yardie from Kingston, Jamaica; not to mention two of three English accents including Somerset and the West Midlands. Maybe a bit of Newfoundland chucked in there for good measure.

"Not fully faithful"

Barely faithful at all. They're more faithful to Peter Jackson in some ways than J.R.R.

You're correct to say that they didn't have the rights to the Silmarillion. So they adapted the Appendices to the LOTR. Except they didn't. They've gone and scrambled up the time periods (I'm not enough of a Tolkienist to tell you how, but some things in it are happening hundreds, or even thousands, of years before/after they're supposed to.) They also put in a monster injection of modern identity politics with the Orcs being turned into easily sunburnt whites. Tolkien's works are certainly very male dominated.

I'm not sure why I'm watching it to be honest. Some of it looks good visually. (Not all of it does as some critics have pointed out where the green screen is obvious.) The music I suppose is okay except the pseudo-Celtic stuff when the Harfoots turn up. But many of the characters are not compelling, are badly written and worse acted.

The humans holing themselves up in the tower... we're supposed to feel sympathy for them but I don't. Jackson did that better.

This show is doing so badly that Amazon has had to censor and block bad reviews and will blame it on anything but the faults of the show itself.