Acting White: Colouring British History

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Agenda?

Of course there is.

But why?

I think I know.

He who controls the past.

Controls the Future.

And since most people get their history lessons from movies and television shows.

This will do nicely.

Sir H

September 16, 2022/25 Comments/in Featured Articles/by Mark Gullick

I first noticed it 10 years ago while watching a BBC adaptation of Graham Greene’s famous 1938 gangster novel Brighton Rock. Considered a very violent book for its time, it was famously filmed in 1948 as a classic piece of British noir starring a young Richard Attenborough as Pinkie, the hoodlum with the sharp suits and penchant for throwing acid in his rivals’ faces.

But in the BBC adaptation there was something wrong. Pinkie’s gang, Dallow, Spicer and Cubitt, were depicted in the novel as runtish and impulsively violent criminals, but there was one thing about them that was clear from the prose; they were all White. In this version, however, Dallow was Black. The notion that an English south coast gangster just before World War II would be anything other than White is absurd, and I assumed this was just the usual BBC tokenism. However, over the next decade it would become increasingly common for producers to cast Black actors in what were obviously White parts. Today it seems almost mandatory.

Going forward a decade we find another BBC drama which tells the story of Anne Boleyn, the second wife of King Henry VIII’s famed six spouses, and executed for her troubles in 1536. The actress playing Anne was Black. While the fictional Dallow in Brighton Rock being Black can be dismissed as a by-product of BBC moral rectitude, casting a woman who history and portraiture tell us was a White Englishwoman is operating in different territory. Anne Boleyn was born in Norfolk in England circa 1501. Her father...

https://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2 ... h-history/

abijah
pleb in zion

Re: Acting White: Colouring British History

Post by abijah »

we wuz angloz n sheeit

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

abijah wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:57 pm we wuz angloz n sheeit
I had just taken a sip of water when I read this... had to go get a napkin to clean the water off my keyboard. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Dusty Wanderer on September 20th, 2022, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

HVDC wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:44 pm Agenda?

Of course there is.

But why?

I think I know.

He who controls the past.

Controls the Future.

And since most people get their history lessons from movies and television shows.

This will do nicely.

Sir H

September 16, 2022/25 Comments/in Featured Articles/by Mark Gullick

I first noticed it 10 years ago while watching a BBC adaptation of Graham Greene’s famous 1938 gangster novel Brighton Rock. Considered a very violent book for its time, it was famously filmed in 1948 as a classic piece of British noir starring a young Richard Attenborough as Pinkie, the hoodlum with the sharp suits and penchant for throwing acid in his rivals’ faces.

But in the BBC adaptation there was something wrong. Pinkie’s gang, Dallow, Spicer and Cubitt, were depicted in the novel as runtish and impulsively violent criminals, but there was one thing about them that was clear from the prose; they were all White. In this version, however, Dallow was Black. The notion that an English south coast gangster just before World War II would be anything other than White is absurd, and I assumed this was just the usual BBC tokenism. However, over the next decade it would become increasingly common for producers to cast Black actors in what were obviously White parts. Today it seems almost mandatory.

Going forward a decade we find another BBC drama which tells the story of Anne Boleyn, the second wife of King Henry VIII’s famed six spouses, and executed for her troubles in 1536. The actress playing Anne was Black. While the fictional Dallow in Brighton Rock being Black can be dismissed as a by-product of BBC moral rectitude, casting a woman who history and portraiture tell us was a White Englishwoman is operating in different territory. Anne Boleyn was born in Norfolk in England circa 1501. Her father...

https://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2 ... h-history/
And we all know that if the roles were reversed someone would be screaming cultural appropriation.

That would be like casting Ryan Gosling in the role of Ice Cube in Straight Outta Compton.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It's known as revisionist history. They rewrite history to suit their agenda.

Nothing new at all. Been going on for many years. First started in the 1930s, I believe.
dc

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Top picture is the poster for the play James IV in Edinburgh right now. For ref, James IV died in the 1500s.

This is all the more ridiculous since Scotland is still very white outside major cities and blacks were not a major non-white minority until within the last twenty years. (Our main non-white groups for decades were Hong Kong Chinese and people who were Pakistani or Indian. For some reason these two Asian types barely appear in the new wave of advertising.)

The two women you see are supposed to be based on two real Moors. Moors are Moroccans, so North Africans. I enclose a photo of actual "Moors" for comparison. While Moors are darker than native Scots they don't look like these two women either. Moors may be African but they don't look like Africans from thousands of miles south.
Attachments
9704.jpg
9704.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 123 times
morocco protest AFP.jpg
morocco protest AFP.jpg (208.14 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Niemand wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:48 am Top picture is the poster for the play James IV in Edinburgh right now. For ref, James IV died in the 1500s.

This is all the more ridiculous since Scotland is still very white outside major cities and blacks were not a major non-white minority until within the last twenty years. (Our main non-white groups for decades were Hong Kong Chinese and people who were Pakistani or Indian. For some reason these two Asian types barely appear in the new wave of advertising.)

The two women you see are supposed to be based on two real Moors. Moors are Moroccans, so North Africans. I enclose a photo of actual "Moors" for comparison. While Moors are darker than native Scots they don't look like these two women either. Moors may be African but they don't look like Africans from thousands of miles south.
People go way out of their way to give blacks far more than they deserve. Larry Elder, a black conservative, recently released a movie titled "Uncle Tom 2." He states that every black person on the planet would rather be in the United States, except for the ones that were born here. The ones born here think the USA is a racist hell hole. I suspect the blacks in other parts of the world have adopted the "we deserve more even though stereotypes are generally true for good reason." It's not like it was an accident that they got the reputation they have.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:02 am
Niemand wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:48 am Top picture is the poster for the play James IV in Edinburgh right now. For ref, James IV died in the 1500s.

People go way out of their way to give blacks far more than they deserve. Larry Elder, a black conservative, recently released a movie titled "Uncle Tom 2." He states that every black person on the planet would rather be in the United States, except for the ones that were born here. The ones born here think the USA is a racist hell hole. I suspect the blacks in other parts of the world have adopted the "we deserve more even though stereotypes are generally true for good reason." It's not like it was an accident that they got the reputation they have.
I wouldn't want to be black at all for a variety of reasons... I think if I were a low income black parent, I would be very unhappy at most of the role models black children are given like self-obsessed sports stars and gangsta rappers. Oh and Hollywood stars who tend to be a dubious quantity whichever race they come from. There are honorable exceptions to all these, but generally they're no good. (I think ordinary white parents have the same challenge nowadays, but there are ways and means to get round it.)

The other thing I think which would sicken me is how black people are treated like pets by the ruling class just now. All this stuff in advertising and politics tends to be very patronising... and I'm sure some black people feel that way too. You see this with some Woke whites, who try and collect black friends as if they're some kind of human Pokēmon... if you're a white person and going to be friends with some black people, be friends with them because you get on with them and like them as individuals, same as you would with white people. Anything else is insincere.