General Conference October 2022 - Rumors & Predictions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Whitehorse will be my Saturday destination.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by BuriedTartaria »

20 new temples will be announced. You will be encouraged to be a good global citizen. And many will say all is well in Zion, even that Zion prospers.

But we know the truth. The Book of Mormon is a warning and a testimony that some sort of concept of a dispensation being unable to fall into apostasy just isn't doctrinal. It's unbelief. It causes people to dwindle in unbelief. It's bad doctrine. Christ's mortal ministry fell into apostasy. Christ's Millennial Reign will end in apostasy, or at least drift towards it slightly, causing God to be absolutely done with this creation and bring an end to it. Using the Book of Mormon as a foundational text and believing you're part of some magic church that can't fall into apostasy seems like completely undermining or rejecting the message of the Book of Mormon (in my opinion) and you might describe that as treating it lightly, which brings about condemnation.
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on September 20th, 2022, 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:32 pm Whitehorse will be my Saturday destination.
Yukon? Must be quite beautiful up there!

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

BuriedTartaria wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:26 pm 20 new temples will be announced. You will be encouraged to be a good global citizen. And many will say all is well in Zion, even that Zion prospers.

But we know the truth. The Book of Mormon is a warning and a testimony that some sort of concept of a dispensation being unable to fall into apostasy just isn't doctrinal. It's unbelief. It causes people to dwindle in unbelief. It's bad doctrine. Christ's mortal ministry fell into apostasy. Christ's Millennial Reign will end in apostasy, or at least drift towards it slightly, causing God to be absolutely done with this creation and bring an end to it. It's simply bad and false doctrine to use the Book of Mormon as a foundational text and believe you're part of some magic church that can't fall into apostasy.
20 seems like a little high. My gut tells me 18 to get to an even 300.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Fred wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:13 am
Subcomandante wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:09 am
h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:26 am Yesterday, their wise and thoughtful leader declared the pandemic over (fortuitous, completely coincidental timing for the midterms), so maybe they'll announce full capacity this time?
Lizzy is right here. It'll be half-capacity for the foreseeable future due to parking constraints in and around Temple Square as construction continues.
That is incredibly stupid. Riding the Trax train is free within the city so parking has nothing to do with anything. If they are willing to pay a small bus fare to attend conference they can park as far away as Utah County and ride a cheap bus to the conference center. The reason they don't want full attendance as they don't want to have to explain why only 6 people showed up.
Exactly -
I wouldn't go if they paid me
Like Harry NV senator who bused in loads of illegals to vote Democrat in elections -- hey, I'd be surprised if they don't resort to such tactics-
Photo-ops

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:26 am Yesterday, their wise and thoughtful leader declared the pandemic over (fortuitous, completely coincidental timing for the midterms), so maybe they'll announce full capacity this time?
Lizzy is right here. It'll be half-capacity for the foreseeable future due to parking constraints in and around Temple Square as construction continues.
They can't fill 20,000 seats when 2 million LDS live within 50 miles? There are trains and buses ... you don't have to park to go to conference. I've gone several times.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

LDS Physician wrote: September 21st, 2022, 6:06 am
They can't fill 20,000 seats when 2 million LDS live within 50 miles? There are trains and buses ... you don't have to park to go to conference. I've gone several times.
I think it has to do more with status than anything else. People love their cars. Especially if they are luxury cars. They wouldn't want to be identified as poor.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:12 am Staying on The Covenant Path (TM).

2020-LDS-Church-new-logo.jpg
I dislike that non-scriptural phrase. Too "check-box-y" for me... implies if you check all the boxes, you get to Heaven gooder. Feels like it neutralizes Jesus's Saving Grace.

probably just me. But it is definitely another "momon-esque phrase" that "outsiders just don't understand".

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:08 am Maybe a talk on "how a baffling case of myocarditis in our brave five-year-old grandson helped us to #HearHim and further commit ourselves to the
Covenant Path".
lol. A.K.A. how to "say it" without actually "saying it".

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Post by zionssuburb »

spiritMan wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:26 am Probably more STAY IN THE BOAT and MISSIONARY WORK!!!!!!

When you look at the raw stats, it ain't looking so hot right now.
http://www.fullerconsideration.com/units.php

24252 wards at the beginning of the year
24277 wards after 9 months
increase of 25 (.1% increase)

31223 wards & branches at the beginning of the year
31224 wards & branches after 9 months.
increase of 1 (.003% increase)

3498 stakes at the beginning of the year
3513 stakes after 9 months
increase of 15 stakes (.4% increase)

4009 stakes & districts at the beginning of the year
4020 stakes & districts at after 9 months.
increase of 11 stakes. (.2% increase)

What this tells me is that growth right now is stagnant. It does not look like it is declining but it is absolutely stagnant. With 3.5 months left in the year we are looking at maybe a .4-.5% growth rate over the year. It is probably going to be around what it was the last 2 years .6-.85% growth.

As a percentage of world population, we are shrinking.
Analyzing numbers this way doesn't show the Bigger Picture, here's why:

I currently live in a stake where they only SPLIT wards, I've now lived in two wards that grew to be over 900 people prior to their split. This is VERY common in large populated Mormon areas, which keeps the numbers of Wards Suppressed (in the US you can create a ward with 300 people) and NO, it isn't because of activity rate, this is with 700/800 active members, our meetings looked like stake conferences. This is exacerbated by SLC telling SP's that they won't build new buildings until all the buildings have at least 3 wards in them, so SP's hold off on creating new wards because they'd have to send them to another city to go to church.

Stakes suffer from the same problem, our current stake had 14 units, and it split, this is also very common in large Mormon populated areas. I don't know why, it's a 'wait until we're command in all things mentality'.

I've lived in areas where wards and branches were created with much smaller numbers, rather than waiting to split a ward, a ward is created from 3 other wards, rather than splitting a stake, a stake is created from 2 other stakes.

The issue is that in our largest populated areas, we aren't growing wards and stakes for logistical/culture/traditional reasons and they differ greatly from other areas, where the last 2 decades it has been know that you need more stakes to get a Temple, so more wards created, more stakes created, in these larger areas they already have stakes, so they hold back on creating new ones.

I do believe, however, that tracking the growth of stakes is the best indicator of growth of the church and that it's pretty stagnant except in localized areas like Africa, but, it should be informed by the actual process and the minimalists in charge of making those decisions.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Silver Pie wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:23 pm I missed that. Probably because I was searching "tithing" instead of "tithes".
Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:03 pm So, in section 32.11.4 it states that those who've had their membership withdrawn CANNOT pay tithing.
Those whose Church membership has been withdrawn may not enjoy any privileges of membership.
• They may not enter a temple or wear the temple
garment. If the person has a temple recommend,
the leader cancels it in LCR.
• They may not exercise the priesthood.
• They may not partake of the sacrament or participate in the sustaining of Church officers.
• They may not give a talk, lesson, or prayer in
Church settings or lead an activity in church.
Nor may they serve in a Church calling.
They may not pay tithes and offerings.
Glad you clarified that. As I said I didn't check him, I was just amazed, and I have to admit, I laughed.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

solonan wrote: September 21st, 2022, 1:06 pmAs I said I didn't check him, I was just amazed, and I have to admit, I laughed.
Perhaps he misread. I know I've done that.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Silver Pie wrote: September 21st, 2022, 1:12 pm
solonan wrote: September 21st, 2022, 1:06 pmAs I said I didn't check him, I was just amazed, and I have to admit, I laughed.

Perhaps he misread. I know I've done that.
I think it is very probable. Next time he gives me something like that I'll make him show me. No I'm not Missourian, (the show me state) but in this case it may have been advisable😂.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

So this is interesting most of these things the institutional church has at least some degree of control over, but a few leave me wondering just how they would ever impose such restrictions. For example:

• They may not enter a temple or wear the temple garment.
Now entering the temple is simple enough to control, but just how is any church leader expected to enforce not wearing the garment by a person excommunicated?

Again, if the person who has their "membership withdrawn" aka excommunicated, decided to exercise the priesthood, say a family or health blessing in a private setting just what is the church leader going to do about it? I mean they can't really threaten church discipline on the person now can they?

• They may not partake of the sacrament or participate in the sustaining of Church officers.
So let imagine that our former or member walks into a meeting where he is unknown to the local members. He take the sacrament and raises his hand during the sustaining. We're an open communion, faith, no one gets up before the sacrament and tells non-members not to take it. It's not as if excommunicated members have something on their forehead to identify them.
Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:03 pm So, in section 32.11.4 it states that those who've had their membership withdrawn CANNOT pay tithing.
Those whose Church membership has been withdrawn may not enjoy any privileges of membership.
• They may not enter a temple or wear the temple
garment. If the person has a temple recommend,
the leader cancels it in LCR.
• They may not give a talk, lesson, or prayer in
Church settings or lead an activity in church.
Nor may they serve in a Church calling.
They may not pay tithes and offerings.
[/quote]

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

spiritMan wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:26 am Probably more STAY IN THE BOAT and MISSIONARY WORK!!!!!!

What this tells me is that growth right now is stagnant. It does not look like it is declining but it is absolutely stagnant. With 3.5 months left in the year we are looking at maybe a .4-.5% growth rate over the year. It is probably going to be around what it was the last 2 years .6-.85% growth.

Number of stakes, districts, wards, and branches can be misleading as a growth indicator. What's the average number of members per ward/stake?

I would guess the number of members is declining overall, or that the number of active members is declining.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

There will no doubt be much of the mealy mouth sort of green, trust leadership, trust govt, disregard evil conspiracy theories. Stay in the boat even if you know it's sinking because in your drowning, you'll be blessed. Insincere smiles all around. Monotones without passion for the gospel of Christ.

and not a single warning against the current trend of Babylonian politics or the imminent war which will involve the U.S. .

Prophet? The church has a Prophet?

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:32 pm Whitehorse will be my Saturday destination.
for some reason I love the destruction bay area. I used to stop there and buy decals and sweatshirts . Nowhereland.
I used to have the crazy idea of heading just north of there and finding a niche to stay and live. Little cabin, a sluice, and a few mules.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

creator wrote: September 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm

Number of stakes, districts, wards, and branches can be misleading as a growth indicator. What's the average number of members per ward/stake?

I would guess the number of members is declining overall, or that the number of active members is declining.
Several years ago (pre-pandemic) our stake announced Wards would be smaller, a total of 350 members (inactive or not) on the rolls.

So our boundaries changed and two new wards were created for no other purpose than spreading around the priesthood.

Come to think of it… this was after the YM program was eviserated and HP & EQ combined. So there were a lot less callings per ward.

I guess it was a re-packaging effort to do the same stuff we’ve always done, just with different labels and appearances.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I'm preparing for an almost certain economic collapse, expected to be world-wide and very severe. And preparation is on the minds of many in our ward.

If the Lord wants "Prepare" ye to be discussed at General Conference, then I'm sure it will be.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

You still think the Lord speaks to these men?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

I absolutely agree it can be misleading....it is however the best metric besides the yearly numbers the Church gives.

I would agree that number of active members is stagnant at best.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

JK4Woods wrote: September 21st, 2022, 7:18 pm

Several years ago (pre-pandemic) our stake announced Wards would be smaller, a total of 350 members (inactive or not) on the rolls.

So our boundaries changed and two new wards were created for no other purpose than spreading around the priesthood.

Come to think of it… this was after the YM program was eviserated and HP & EQ combined. So there were a lot less callings per ward.

I guess it was a re-packaging effort to do the same stuff we’ve always done, just with different labels and appearances.
The youth program is trash.

YW: Let's plan a youth activity where we run stations of an race for the YM and then at each station let's have the boys to silly/stupid things so we can make fun of them.

My daughter from this activity (who is younger) comes up with the idea of having the boys prance around in toddler tutus and sing songs b/c it would be "hilarious". She was later very teary-eyed b/c she realized making fun of the boys was not a good activity.

The YW continue to plan this "let's make fun of the boys" activity

My wife stands up and says, do we have to make fun of others to have a good time. The response from the leaders: "This is their activity and they are going to do what they want, not what you think they should be doing" and when informed that our kids won't be participating the response was a sarcastic "thanks for making a decision for your child".

WTF . . . these people are nuts.

What ever happened to leaders you know actually leading . . .now it's let the youth do whatever they want to even if the activity is not a Christian activity.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

BroJones wrote: September 21st, 2022, 7:54 pm I'm preparing for an almost certain economic collapse, expected to be world-wide and very severe. And preparation is on the minds of many in our ward.

If the Lord wants "Prepare" ye to be discussed at General Conference, then I'm sure it will be.
lol.

you actually believe that the Lord still leads the corrupt LDS church !
and that they still receive - some kind of inspiration or revelation. lol.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

as I said - back in April

"Conference is - well basically -a waste of time.
Sure, there's always some nice talks - PRE - PLANNED - 6 mo. in the making, and prepared by -
who knows who, and that ANYONE could give.
But nothing from the spirit - no messages from revelation received - showing the Lord is still leading the church.
It's obvious - to those "awake" - THAT HE'S NOT.

Why would anyone want to stay in a church where the leaders are Hypocrites ! -
deceived and deceiving others.

They put on one face - giving nice talks in conference about Christ and to follow Him,
and turn around and put on another face (literally) *** asking us to join satan and follow him!

CAN'T YOU SEE THIS !

Jesus said -
"he that is not with me is against me"

It's the truth my friends, and if you can't see it - YOU'RE BLIND !
just look at their rotten fruit.
If the church has aligned with the enemy - (which it has) - I don't want anything to do with it -
or my name found in the records - which the enemy will then have.

hyp·o·crite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion.
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

and as I've posted - many times.
"the spirit of prophecy"

"As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy."
not just listen to nice talks

If Jesus himself has said -

3 Nephi 23:1- 4
1 "And now, behold, I say unto you,
that ye ought to search these things.
Yea, a commandment I give unto
you that ye search these things diligently;
for great are the words of Isaiah."

Why does our prophet and church leaders never talk about Isaiah or quote him ?
Could it be that they don't understand him ? and if they don't understand him, do they really have the spirit of prophecy ?

"Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel,
and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you,
nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy
"
(2 Nephi 25:4) in part

"The scriptures warn us that in the last days there will be prophets who do not prophesy and seers who do not see (Isaiah 30:10). Jesus also warned that there would be false prophets and an abundance of men teaching their own precepts to get gain, so that even the very elect will be deceived (2 Nephi 26:29; JS Matthew 1:22).

As Latter-day Saints we must learn what a true prophet is
and we must learn to discern between true and false prophets lest we also be deceived.

The scriptures provide a standard by which we can all judge.
Simply put, a prophet must have the spirit of prophecy in order to be a true prophet. This is the sign.

As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy.
We should measure carefully what is being said. We should pray that those who we sustain as prophets will prophesy and speak prophetically because when prophets and seers, prophesy and see, they become a great benefit to their fellow man (Mosiah 8:18). This is the means whereby we can receive salvation.
If men who are called prophets do not have the spirit of prophecy we can know they are false prophets.
Nephi gives us an important bar by which we can measure:

"Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel,
and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you,
nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy
"
(2 Nephi 25:4)

All prophets will understand the words of Isaiah.
They will also share the testimony of the Savior and of Nephi and others that the words of Isaiah are great!

When’s the last time you heard an LDS prophet give a talk on the words of Isaiah in General Conference?
When Jesus came to the Nephites, He gave them the “commandment to search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.”
Do the servants of the Lord today emphasize this same commandment?

Today’s prophets write books such as: Counseling With Our Councils,
The Christmas Train, A Future As Bright As Your Faith, To The Rescue, Forget Me Not, and 21 Principles.

The above may be excellent topics,
but why do today’s LDS prophets not speak or write of Isaiah?
Why do they not rejoice in his words?
Why do they not explain what his words mean?
If these words are so great and so relevant to us in our day, why are the so called prophets
not using their “spirit of prophecy” in a way that would render Isaiah’s vital words easier to understand?

Is it possible that these prophets do not understand the words of Isaiah?
If so, can they be true prophets?
Jesus said “ALL who have the spirit of prophecy” will easily understand Isaiah’s words.
They will comprehend them in plainness.

If these prophets rely upon trained scholars to understand Isaiah,
would this be evidence that such men are not true prophets?
I leave that for you to judge."

end quote