General Conference October 2022 - Rumors & Predictions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Niemand »

larsenb wrote: September 29th, 2022, 4:10 pm
Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm
creator wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:33 pm
Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 6:18 am.. Oh, and they've shut all the canteens which were a nice place to meet members from other wards
Translation: cafeteria ;)

I had to google it to understand what a canteen is. Although I kind of assumed it from the context of what you were saying. Unless, y'all are genies or djinns, where you come from, and you actually meet inside of a canteen!

canteen.jpg
A canteen tends to be a work or school café – usually (semi-)private. Calling it a cafeteria makes it sound a lot fancier than it is. 😉 (I had no idea that this word didn't exist in Americanese. Not to be confused with cantina... that's a whole other ball game.)

Shutting the canteens down was a horrible idea. When we travel down we have to use motorway (=freeway) stops which are usually junk food (Starbucks, KFC, Burger King) and cost two or three times the price of their competitors in towns/cities.

We very rarely get a chance to meet our friends in other stakes or units now. It was a good place to bump into them and chill out between sessions. Now you have to book in, mask up and sit around.
Canteen used to be the name for a US Military sponsored 'cafe'-like gathering place or shop for military personnel located in civilian areas outside military installations. A place where you could mingle with other military folk and buy refreshments and minor goods and perhaps entertainment. I well remember one I visited in Tokyo.

Not sure they still exist.
That's pretty similar usage. A canteen over here is a place you'd find in a factory, college or an office etc. You' usually have to pay but it's not the kind of place you'd walk into off the street normallu.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Mamabear »

“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time PAST unto the fathers by the PROPHETS,
Hath in these LAST DAYS SPOKEN UNTO US BY HIS SON, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;” Hebrews 1:1-2

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:32 am “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time PAST unto the fathers by the PROPHETS,
Hath in these LAST DAYS SPOKEN UNTO US BY HIS SON, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;” Hebrews 1:1-2
And yet prophets continued to be called, and prophesied, during the time of the New Testament.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

tribrac wrote: September 27th, 2022, 10:03 pm ^^^^^^

Yep. We are dwindling fast. Either a major reawakening and revival happens, or a new group of people come on the stage.

I also wonder if they are preparing for a long, devastating depression. If that is on the horizon and they have money and materials now, it makes sense to build now for the projected needs of 20 or 30 years from now.

Neither scenario bodes well for anyone who longs for a return of the 2002 status quo.
During the Weimar hyperinflation, the money that ended up resolving everything was the Rentenmark. That was real-estate based.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:44 am
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:32 am “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time PAST unto the fathers by the PROPHETS,
And yet prophets continued to be called, and prophesied, during the time of the New Testament.
Christ desires to speak to all people in these last days directly and that all would prophesy.

One can/could consider himself a prophet because he had prophecies.

“If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 14:37

“Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.”
1 Corinthians 14:1

“I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied.” 1 Corinthians 14:5

This follows the words of Moses, “And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!”
Numbers 11:29

Can you imagine this language today given by the 12? “I would that all would prophesy.”
No, they would never utter such a thing.
There are many prophets who are not called by a church, who commune with Christ. This is the Lord’s way.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:21 am
Christ desires to speak to all people in these last days directly and that all would prophesy.

“If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 14:37

“Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.”

“I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied.” 1 Corinthians 14:5

This follows the words of Moses, “And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!”

Can you imagine this language today given by the 12? “I would that all would prophesy.”
There are many prophets who are not called by a church, who commune with Christ. This is the Lord’s way.
Having the ability to declare Jesus as your Savior is exhibiting the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10). Does it make someone a leader of an entire body of believers? Hardly. These are small-p prophets, people that have stewardship over their own families. The big-P prophets, those are the ones God calls upon to warn all the people.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 8:30 am
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:21 am

Having the ability to declare Jesus as your Savior is exhibiting the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10). Does it make someone a leader of an entire body of believers? Hardly. These are small-p prophets, people that have stewardship over their own families. The big-P prophets, those are the ones God calls upon to warn all the people.
I disagree. Paul didn’t make that distinction. That’s Mormon doctrine.
It’s unfortunate that prophets with a big-P don’t prophesy to their followers.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Mamabear: that is not correct. Paul surely did put the leaders between the flock and Jesus. Not for salvation but for correcting, reproving, leading, teaching and declaring membership and excommunication. He fought seemingly endlessly with Peter and James the Just for many many years over doctrine, leadership, Jewish influence in Christianity, etc... Never did he leave leadership of any church (ward) to the local bishops.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 8:30 am Having the ability to declare Jesus as your Savior is exhibiting the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10). Does it make someone a leader of an entire body of believers? Hardly. These are small-p prophets, people that have stewardship over their own families. The big-P prophets, those are the ones God calls upon to warn all the people.
And your supposed big Ps are not warning the people. Rather the opposite, they are spiritually and physically killing the flock.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

TheDuke wrote: October 1st, 2022, 9:08 am Mamabear: that is not correct. Paul surely did put the leaders between the flock and Jesus. Not for salvation but for correcting, reproving, leading, teaching and declaring membership and excommunication. He fought seemingly endlessly with Peter and James the Just for many many years over doctrine, leadership, Jewish influence in Christianity, etc... Never did he leave leadership of any church (ward) to the local bishops.
I don't think he fought for years against Peter and James. They had a couple disagreements, and then apparently Peter and James agreed with him. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. The argument was over whether Jew and Gentile were to be separate. They weren't, but it was tradition. They were to be one in Christ. It's interesting how tradition affects us so greatly and makes us miss the point of the Gospel and the power of Christ for and in and through us. Instead we rely on past rather than what He has said He has done for us applying it to the future. He did fight against other Jews though who didn't understand Christ and wanted to be lifted up in the eyes of their jewish brethren, but it wasn't Peter and James.

They also did leave it to bishoprics and stake presidents. In fact there is a mention in 3rd John of leadership rejecting the Apostles.
Last edited by John Tavner on October 1st, 2022, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 1st, 2022, 9:50 am
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 8:30 am Having the ability to declare Jesus as your Savior is exhibiting the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10). Does it make someone a leader of an entire body of believers? Hardly. These are small-p prophets, people that have stewardship over their own families. The big-P prophets, those are the ones God calls upon to warn all the people.
And your supposed big Ps are not warning the people. Rather the opposite, they are spiritually and physically killing the flock.
Will the big Ps prophesy today at conference? No, but they will probably change some policies and fool many into thinking that it’s prophesying.

Godislove
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors & Predictions

Post by Godislove »

I believe President Nelson prophesied in his closing talk.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

That Morning session today was beautiful!!!!!

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

best conference I have heard in years. very clear goals . . . very clear personal responsiblities and blessings

The prophet and most speakers, spoke for Christ

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Once again, President Nelson spoke of wonderful times ahead. And once again, I was reminded of the prophecies of wars, pestilences, earthquakes, plagues, etc., that will vex this nation, and probably others as well. I have heard and read of such prophecies for most of the 62 years I have been a member of the LDS Church, and I have tried to prepare myself and my family to be able to cope with such events. I too "have read the book" and believe that in the end we win. But from my study of prophecy, it appears we are going to have to pass thru the hammers of hell before enjoying wonderful times that President Nelson said lie ahead.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Godislove wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:59 am I believe President Nelson prophesied in his closing talk.
More vitamins?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

lundbaek wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:40 pm Once again, President Nelson spoke of wonderful times ahead. And once again, I was reminded of the prophecies of wars, pestilences, earthquakes, plagues, etc., that will vex this nation, and probably others as well. I have heard and read of such prophecies for most of the 62 years I have been a member of the LDS Church, and I have tried to prepare myself and my family to be able to cope with such events. I too "have read the book" and believe that in the end we win. But from my study of prophecy, it appears we are going to have to pass thru the hammers of hell before enjoying wonderful times that President Nelson said lie ahead.
15 Thus will I accomplish my wrath upon the wall, and upon them that have daubed it with untempered morter, and will say unto you, The wall is no more, neither they that daubed it;
16 To wit, the prophets of Israel which prophesy concerning Jerusalem, and which see visions of peace for her, and there is no peace, saith the Lord GOD.
17 Likewise, thou son of man, set thy face against the daughters of thy people, which prophesy out of their own heart; and prophesy thou against them,
Ezekiel 13
I'm sure there's another scripture along the lines of prophets who prophesy peace/good times and that the Lord has not sent them, but I couldn't find the one I was thinking of.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Silver Pie wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:50 pm
lundbaek wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:40 pm Once again, President Nelson spoke of wonderful times ahead. And once again, I was reminded of the prophecies of wars, pestilences, earthquakes, plagues, etc., that will vex this nation, and probably others as well. I have heard and read of such prophecies for most of the 62 years I have been a member of the LDS Church, and I have tried to prepare myself and my family to be able to cope with such events. I too "have read the book" and believe that in the end we win. But from my study of prophecy, it appears we are going to have to pass thru the hammers of hell before enjoying wonderful times that President Nelson said lie ahead.
15 Thus will I accomplish my wrath upon the wall, and upon them that have daubed it with untempered morter, and will say unto you, The wall is no more, neither they that daubed it;
16 To wit, the prophets of Israel which prophesy concerning Jerusalem, and which see visions of peace for her, and there is no peace, saith the Lord GOD.
17 Likewise, thou son of man, set thy face against the daughters of thy people, which prophesy out of their own heart; and prophesy thou against them,
Ezekiel 13
I'm sure there's another scripture along the lines of prophets who prophesy peace/good times and that the Lord has not sent them, but I couldn't find the one I was thinking of.
Maybe it’s one of these ———-

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/ ... e-Not-Sent

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Jesus fully reveals the Father to the world. He teaches the essentials during his ministry. Then he sends the Holy Ghost to his followers to bring them into all truth. The truth is really quite simple. Christian morality is clearly taught in the Bible. The necessary elements for salvation are clearly taught in the Bible. Many who claim to follow Christ add things which are mainly meant to enhance their own power over believers or actually turn them into merchandise. We can all receive revelation to guide our own lives if we sincerely ask to receive it and are willing to conform our lives to what scripture reveals. Church is nice, but we can turn it into an idol if we aren’t careful.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:57 pm

Yes! Thank you.

The first one is the main one I was thinking of, but I was also thinking of the rest of these quoted below. Again, thank you so much for the link, Lizzy.

Jeremiah 23:21
“I did not send these prophets,
But they ran.
I did not speak to them,
But they prophesied.

Jeremiah 27:15
for I have not sent them,” declares the Lord, “but they prophesy falsely in My name, in order that I may drive you out and that you may perish, you and the prophets who prophesy to you.”

Jeremiah 29:9
For they prophesy falsely to you in My name; I have not sent them,’ declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 14:14
Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futility and the deception of their own minds.

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/ ... e-Not-Sent

Iceberg
captain of 100

Post by Iceberg »

Full disclosure: I did not watch conference this time or last but I used to be fully committed to it.

I know there are a range of views on this thread regarding the general authorities. Truth can come from many places and people...and as we know can be mixed with deceptions.

I also believe the “by their fruits ye shall know them” test is more important than talks or speeches or sermons or lessons because “the Devil is a better theologian than any of us, yet is a Devil still.” (A. W. Tozer)

I do not know any the general authorities at all. I do not know their hearts or intentions. I have learned gospel truths and beauty from people who knew the scriptures so well. Then later I found out we’re not what they seemed.

I’m glad many of you were uplifted by the words spoken at conference this weekend. Just be careful. If you are not already ( I know many of you are) really study Isaiah and the Book of Mormon and Jeremiah and Ezekiel and Mathew Jst., ect

God bless and I know we all want to be on Christ’s team in the end and he will bless and magnify our efforts. If/when we have been wrong or deceived he will open his arms to us when we repent.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:47 pm Russell M Nelson just announced 18 new temples.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

That's a lot of temples!

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

Silver Pie wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:09 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:57 pm

Yes! Thank you.

The first one is the main one I was thinking of, but I was also thinking of the rest of these quoted below. Again, thank you so much for the link, Lizzy.

Jeremiah 23:21
“I did not send these prophets,
But they ran.
I did not speak to them,
But they prophesied.

Jeremiah 27:15
for I have not sent them,” declares the Lord, “but they prophesy falsely in My name, in order that I may drive you out and that you may perish, you and the prophets who prophesy to you.”

Jeremiah 29:9
For they prophesy falsely to you in My name; I have not sent them,’ declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 14:14
Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futility and the deception of their own minds.

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/ ... e-Not-Sent
Jeremiah
13 And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.
14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Godislove wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:59 am I believe President Nelson prophesied in his closing talk.
Can you give us some specific prophesies that you feel like he made?