General Conference October 2022 - Rumors & Predictions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Silver Pie »

Serragon wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:13 pmI guess I really don't understand this sudden burst of temple building, especially in areas where there are multiple temples already within easy reach.
Near as I can tell, Nelson wants to leave a legacy so he is long remembered, and building a lot of temples is one of the ways he has chosen to make his mark.

FrankOne wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:56 pm when they found out that their tithes could go directly to buying Pfiezer stock or supporting a charity that pays for abortions!
From what I understand, tithing doesn't go directly to anything (I forget the official source). It is put somewhere to collect interest for 3 years, then used. And when the Church says, "Tithing didn't pay for this. It was investment income," that actually means that it was paid for using the interest on the tithes.

Interesting story in the New Testament. The parable of the talents. I'm pretty sure everyone knows it. When the guy who buried the money gave it back to his master, the master was ticked off that he hadn't at least put it in the bank to gather interest, so that he (the master, the Lord) could have had an increase. This tells me that God owns all of it, including the interest. It isn't a way to slide between the rules. It isn't a way to buy stock in companies nor to build malls (let alone high-end malls).

Also, my understanding is that tithing is for the poor, not to make a multi-billion dollar corporation richer (I used to believe the lies that we were a poor Church and that we had unpaid clergy all the way up to and including the President of it).

Chris
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Chris »

Silver Pie wrote: September 28th, 2022, 10:17 am
Serragon wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:13 pmI guess I really don't understand this sudden burst of temple building, especially in areas where there are multiple temples already within easy reach.
Near as I can tell, Nelson wants to leave a legacy so he is long remembered, and building a lot of temples is one of the ways he has chosen to make his mark.

FrankOne wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:56 pm when they found out that their tithes could go directly to buying Pfiezer stock or supporting a charity that pays for abortions!
From what I understand, tithing doesn't go directly to anything (I forget the official source). It is put somewhere to collect interest for 3 years, then used. And when the Church says, "Tithing didn't pay for this. It was investment income," that actually means that it was paid for using the interest on the tithes.

Interesting story in the New Testament. The parable of the talents. I'm pretty sure everyone knows it. When the guy who buried the money gave it back to his master, the master was ticked off that he hadn't at least put it in the bank to gather interest, so that he (the master, the Lord) could have had an increase. This tells me that God owns all of it, including the interest. It isn't a way to slide between the rules. It isn't a way to buy stock in companies nor to build malls (let alone high-end malls).

Also, my understanding is that tithing is for the poor, not to make a multi-billion dollar corporation richer (I used to believe the lies that we were a poor Church and that we had unpaid clergy all the way up to and including the President of it).
You quoted the parable of the talents. I think the way the church handles its investments is as they should. They are wise, they diversify and they protect the funds of the church and they are growing. How would you guys like it ran like the government?

They are doing as they should, the only thing they should do more of is probably buy some gold and silver mines, however they will have the relief mine when the time comes.

There is a lot about to happen, some great and some terrible.

There will be 20 million of the 10 tribes that come back to this continent. Some from the north pole and most from as the scriptures say "The Far end of Heaven."

When they come they will use the temples. My companion on my mission patriarchal blessing says he would officiate in giving the 10 tribes their blessing in new jerusalem.

Also while yes many are and will apostatize, especially many on this site as they turn their back on their covenants and the one true way there will be one last great harvest after some major moses style miracles. Read below-----

Vaughn J. Featherstone 50 year time capsule letter for the Atlanta GA Temple in 1983 to be opened in 2033
To my beloved fellow saints in the twenty-first century,

God bless you. We love you. We are grateful to you for your great faith in Christ. Many of you have probably lived through the darkest period in the history of the world. Those of you who read this letter have witnessed the second coming of Christ, the day for which we have long awaited. What a glorious experience to live in the day when our Lord, our Redeemer, the very Son of God is reigning personally upon the earth.

We can imagine what General Conference must be like, to have the Savior address the people. My thoughts entertain such questions as, will there still be wards and stakes? Will the Lord hold area conferences and solemn assemblies? Have those of you reading this letter been visited by Him? My heart and soul seem nigh to be consumed at the very thought. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 17 the people looked “steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” Oh what a blessed generation you are and must be.

My calling in the Church is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. When the First Quorum of the Seventy in this dispensation was organized, I was privileged to be called into it. Previous to that time I had served as a second counselor in the Presiding Bishopric. The Church is organized in a way that members of the First Quorum of the Seventy supervise the areas of the earth under the direction of the Twelve Apostles. I am the Executive Administrator (the supervisor) for the South Central Area of the United States. This area includes Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and parts of Kentucky, Missouri, and Virginia. The temple is in the area I supervise. We have in this area, as presently organized, 44 stakes, 12 regions, and 9 missions.

There is a great satanic thrust, both by enemies of the Church from other religions and apostates who are filled with lies, deceit, and insidious evils. But they nor all the hosts of Satan can stop this work. We are seeing modern-day bands of Gadianton Robbers. I believe we are on the very threshold of great trials. The darkest clouds in the history of the world are on the horizon. They are being driven with fierce satanic winds in our direction. Earthquakes, famine, pestilences, disease, plagues will soon be upon us but we trust in our God and He will spare us and take us under his wings.

The Atlanta Temple is the first temple in the South. I can see temples in Charlotte, Columbia, Birmingham, Jackson, Nashville, and in Louisiana and Arkansas.

We now have more than 110,000 members of the Church in this area. I can see in my minds eye great hosts of converts to exceed a million members in the South. We will baptize people in the tens of thousands. These members, traditional Protestant and Catholic – Christians are being prepared right now. We will baptize “pivotal” leaders and their influence will reach out. Non-members will want to know about the Church. These people will call the missionaries and will desire to be taught. The missionaries will be teaching large groups from early morning until late at night. Entire congregations will accept this message. Ten times tens of thousands will be baptized into the Lord’s true Church. I know that the spirit of the Lord is brooding over the South. You who are reading this letter are witnesses to my words.

And should this letter come to the attention of our Lord who is reigning personally upon the earth, I have these words. Dear Jesus, I love you. You are most precious and dear to me. My life has been committed to Thy work. I have loved you and defended you with all my heart. I would give my life for you. You mean everything to me and my family. Thanks for answering so many of my prayers. Thanks for the magnificent atonement. Thanks for your love and compassion. You know my heart and you know that I love you. I have tried to prove worthy as an especial witness of you. Thank you for the holy call to serve as one of Thy General Authorities. Possibly we will have had an interview as I later will have passed from this life. If so, then I can tell you personally that I adore you and will worship you for time and all eternity and I will see you again there.

Farewell beloved saints and citizens, until we all meet in eternity.

Faithfully and eternally yours,

Vaughn J. Featherstone,

First Quorum of the Seventy

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I am predicting that a rumor will go round about the Tabernacle Choir member saying he or she heard something mind blowing. :D

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Chris wrote: September 28th, 2022, 10:50 am I think the way the church handles its investments is as they should.
And you are certainly entitled to your opinions. I would never want to take that away from you. This is NOT snark. I sincerely mean this.

There will be 20 million of the 10 tribes that come back to this continent. Some from the north pole and most from as the scriptures say "The Far end of Heaven."
I agree with the idea, but where on earth did you get the idea there would be 20 million people? I would be surprised if there were more than a few thousand (and that counts whatever size the city of Enoch will be when those people return).

When they come they will use the temples. My companion on my mission patriarchal blessing says he would officiate in giving the 10 tribes their blessing in new jerusalem.
I disagree. I think the temples to be used have not been built yet, and-unlike all the temples built since Nauvoo was "considered complete"-these temples (one in old Jerusalem and one in New Jerusalem/Zion) will be ones that God has asked or commanded to be built.

Yes, but that does not mean it has to be in a temple (the patriarch could have had a preconceived idea that the blessings were the temple endowments and initiatory as then constituted; that would make sense as to using the word "officiate". I think we don't really know what temples are supposed to be for, nor what is actually supposed to go on in them - Nor do we actually know what the blessings are that Ephraim is supposed to give to the lost tribes) - and if it does happen in a temple, I seriously doubt it will be one the LDS Corp has built.

Also while yes many are and will apostatize, especially many on this site as they turn their back on their covenants and the one true way there will be one last great harvest after some major moses style miracles.
The LDS leadership has turned their backs on God's covenants since BY took the reins.

I honestly believe that what is happening now is that God is doing his own work - and not through the LDS leadership. He has left them to their own vanity and their own devices. I believe they not only can't hear his voice, they don't want to know what he has to say, because he may say something like - all their tables are full of vomit - or that the shepherds feed themselves, but not the sheep (lots of OT scriptures can fit - Ezekiel, Isaiah). And then you have the Book of Mormon with warnings to the lay people and leaders alike ("Why have you polluted the Holy Church of God?" - not talking about the Catholics, folks. The man speaking is talking to those of us who read and believe the book).

I really like Featherstone. I do believe he didn't understand about how each temple has to be built only at God's express command. I think he also didn't realize the extent of apostasy, pride, and greed the LDS leaders at the top would have before 2033 rolled around.

I want to share a story about him. I've heard so many stories of people coming across General Authorities who are arrogant, short-tempered, and full of themselves.

He had been released as a 70, and was going around with a couple of other people to talk about freedom. He read nearly everything, instead of just talking - but one thing he said was that the Church leaders had approached him because of complaints about what he was doing. His reply to them was that since he was no longer a General Authority, he didn't have to make them look good.

After he was done talking, he sat down on the stairs of the small auditorium behind where my kids and I were sitting. He began talking to someone next to him, and he got to the point where he talked so loud, I couldn't hear the speaker. I told him he was talking too loud. He apologized and began to whisper to the person he was talking to.

I share those to show why I like him. He was not full of himself, nor did he kowtow to the demands of the High Honchos after he was no longer representing them.
Vaughn J. Featherstone 50 year time capsule letter for the Atlanta GA Temple in 1983 to be opened in 2033

God bless you. We love you. We are grateful to you for your great faith in Christ. Many of you have probably lived through the darkest period in the history of the world. Those of you who read this letter have witnessed the second coming of Christ, the day for which we have long awaited. What a glorious experience to live in the day when our Lord, our Redeemer, the very Son of God is reigning personally upon the earth.

We can imagine what General Conference must be like, to have the Savior address the people. My thoughts entertain such questions as, will there still be wards and stakes? Will the Lord hold area conferences and solemn assemblies? Have those of you reading this letter been visited by Him? My heart and soul seem nigh to be consumed at the very thought. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 17 the people looked “steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” Oh what a blessed generation you are and must be.

My calling in the Church is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. When the First Quorum of the Seventy in this dispensation was organized, I was privileged to be called into it. Previous to that time I had served as a second counselor in the Presiding Bishopric. The Church is organized in a way that members of the First Quorum of the Seventy supervise the areas of the earth under the direction of the Twelve Apostles. I am the Executive Administrator (the supervisor) for the South Central Area of the United States. This area includes Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and parts of Kentucky, Missouri, and Virginia. The temple is in the area I supervise. We have in this area, as presently organized, 44 stakes, 12 regions, and 9 missions.

There is a great satanic thrust, both by enemies of the Church from other religions and apostates who are filled with lies, deceit, and insidious evils. But they nor all the hosts of Satan can stop this work. We are seeing modern-day bands of Gadianton Robbers. I believe we are on the very threshold of great trials. The darkest clouds in the history of the world are on the horizon. They are being driven with fierce satanic winds in our direction. Earthquakes, famine, pestilences, disease, plagues will soon be upon us but we trust in our God and He will spare us and take us under his wings.

The Atlanta Temple is the first temple in the South. I can see temples in Charlotte, Columbia, Birmingham, Jackson, Nashville, and in Louisiana and Arkansas.

We now have more than 110,000 members of the Church in this area. I can see in my minds eye great hosts of converts to exceed a million members in the South. We will baptize people in the tens of thousands. These members, traditional Protestant and Catholic – Christians are being prepared right now. We will baptize “pivotal” leaders and their influence will reach out. Non-members will want to know about the Church. These people will call the missionaries and will desire to be taught. The missionaries will be teaching large groups from early morning until late at night. Entire congregations will accept this message. Ten times tens of thousands will be baptized into the Lord’s true Church. I know that the spirit of the Lord is brooding over the South. You who are reading this letter are witnesses to my words.

And should this letter come to the attention of our Lord who is reigning personally upon the earth, I have these words. Dear Jesus, I love you. You are most precious and dear to me. My life has been committed to Thy work. I have loved you and defended you with all my heart. I would give my life for you. You mean everything to me and my family. Thanks for answering so many of my prayers. Thanks for the magnificent atonement. Thanks for your love and compassion. You know my heart and you know that I love you. I have tried to prove worthy as an especial witness of you. Thank you for the holy call to serve as one of Thy General Authorities. Possibly we will have had an interview as I later will have passed from this life. If so, then I can tell you personally that I adore you and will worship you for time and all eternity and I will see you again there.

Vaughn J. Featherstone,

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Silver Pie wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:20 am
Chris wrote: September 28th, 2022, 10:50 am I think the way the church handles its investments is as they should.
And you are certainly entitled to your opinions. I would never want to take that away from you. This is NOT snark. I sincerely mean this.

I agree with the idea, but where on earth did you get the idea there would be 20 million people? I would be surprised if there were more than a few thousand (and that counts whatever size the city of Enoch will be when those people return).

I disagree. I think the temples to be used have not been built yet, and-unlike all the temples built since Nauvoo was "considered complete"-these temples (one in old Jerusalem and one in New Jerusalem/Zion) will be ones that God has asked or commanded to be built.

Yes, but that does not mean it has to be in a temple (the patriarch could have had a preconceived idea that the blessings were the temple endowments and initiatory as then constituted; that would make sense as to using the word "officiate". I think we don't really know what temples are supposed to be for, nor what is actually supposed to go on in them - Nor do we actually know what the blessings are that Ephraim is supposed to give to the lost tribes) - and if it does happen in a temple, I seriously doubt it will be one the LDS Corp has built.

Also while yes many are and will apostatize, especially many on this site as they turn their back on their covenants and the one true way there will be one last great harvest after some major moses style miracles.
The LDS leadership has turned their backs on God's covenants since BY took the reins.

I honestly believe that what is happening now is that God is doing his own work - and not through the LDS leadership. He has left them to their own vanity and their own devices. I believe they not only can't hear his voice, they don't want to know what he has to say, because he may say something like - all their tables are full of vomit - or that the shepherds feed themselves, but not the sheep (lots of OT scriptures can fit - Ezekiel, Isaiah). And then you have the Book of Mormon with warnings to the lay people and leaders alike ("Why have you polluted the Holy Church of God?" - not talking about the Catholics, folks. The man speaking is talking to those of us who read and believe the book).

I really like Featherstone. I do believe he didn't understand about how each temple has to be built only at God's express command. I think he also didn't realize the extent of apostasy, pride, and greed the LDS leaders at the top would have before 2033 rolled around.

I want to share a story about him. I've heard so many stories of people coming across General Authorities who are arrogant, short-tempered, and full of themselves.

He had been released as a 70, and was going around with a couple of other people to talk about freedom. He read nearly everything, instead of just talking - but one thing he said was that the Church leaders had approached him because of complaints about what he was doing. His reply to them was that since he was no longer a General Authority, he didn't have to make them look good.

After he was done talking, he sat down on the stairs of the small auditorium behind where my kids and I were sitting. He began talking to someone next to him, and he got to the point where he talked so loud, I couldn't hear the speaker. I told him he was talking too loud. He apologized and began to whisper to the person he was talking to.

I share those to show why I like him. He was not full of himself, nor did he kowtow to the demands of the High Honchos after he was no longer representing them.

Vaughn J. Featherstone,

I know some people, who know some things...... There will be 20 million, also according to this person there will only be about 15 to 20 million people left in the US when they come back..... This will sound crazy but the bulk of the 10 tribes are very advanced ( most consider them as UFO's ) but they are the 10 tribes, They are the roaring Lion spoken of in the book of Ezra and also Nephi that will dash to pieces. They will remove the chinese, russians and remaining mob.

I know with certainty the church leadership is in good standing and has been ever since joseph smith. Most think they have it all figured out but they dont. We were told these days would be a TEST for all. Read the Heber c kimball prophecy. The whole vax controversy is that TEST. ( not to get it, but to stand by them come what may , I did not get it just FYI )

You are entitled to your opinion as well. But stick with the church even though having some questions is the way to go and honoring your covenants, versus turning against it. You know how that ends. The Lord is very clear... why risk it?

I hope all the people on this site figure that out before it is to late.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Chris wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:40 am I know some people, who know some things...... There will be 20 million, also according to this person there will only be about 15 to 20 million people left in the US when they come back.....
That sounds like an awful lot. To be honest, though, it isn't much in comparison to the billions of people presently living on this planet.

This will sound crazy but the bulk of the 10 tribes are very advanced ( most consider them as UFO's ) but they are the 10 tribes, They are the roaring Lion spoken of in the book of Ezra and also Nephi that will dash to pieces. They will remove the chinese, russians and remaining mob.
I would not be surprised if they are very advanced.

Interesting theory. No doubt it could be so.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Silver Pie wrote: September 28th, 2022, 10:17 am

I should have paid more attention to something that i recently read, but the gist of this 'new news' was that the destination for tithes and offerings is up to their discretion...so.. I don't have a reference. :(
From what you've said, tithes could go sit in a fund for three years and then I guess it's "washed" so it can be used for whatever they wish. Perhaps the process has to do with a legal requirement for 501c3 corps? lol.

there's no sorting out this whirled.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

FrankOne wrote: September 28th, 2022, 1:12 pmthe destination for tithes and offerings is up to their discretion...so.. I don't have a reference. :(
It's written on the tithing slips.

Great8
captain of 100

Post by Great8 »

Chris wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:40 am

Vaughn J. Featherstone,

I know some people, who know some things...... There will be 20 million, also according to this person there will only be about 15 to 20 million people left in the US when they come back..... This will sound crazy but the bulk of the 10 tribes are very advanced ( most consider them as UFO's ) but they are the 10 tribes, They are the roaring Lion spoken of in the book of Ezra and also Nephi that will dash to pieces. They will remove the chinese, russians and remaining mob.

I know with certainty the church leadership is in good standing and has been ever since joseph smith. Most think they have it all figured out but they dont. We were told these days would be a TEST for all. Read the Heber c kimball prophecy. The whole vax controversy is that TEST. ( not to get it, but to stand by them come what may , I did not get it just FYI )

You are entitled to your opinion as well. But stick with the church even though having some questions is the way to go and honoring your covenants, versus turning against it. You know how that ends. The Lord is very clear... why risk it?

Powerful comment. Thank you. But how can you be so certain??? I have learned in life that nothing is as what it appears to be. RMN encouraging us to follow the global leaders and then get the shot??? This is a test??? This doesn't make sense. Sounds a little Warren Jeffesque to me.

By saying this, you can take any gospel concept and twist it to fit your narrative. What is wrong is wrong and what is right is right. What does it mean to 'stick with the church'? Should I give my tithes to Corp and EPA rather than helping children (Bountiful Children's Found)? The covenants in the temple are simplistic and easy to do - stay loyal to your spouse, give everything for the building up of the kingdom of God etc etc.

I love the VJF story. It highlights how we despised secret combinations and Babylon. Today, we embrace it. I will bet $1000 that secret combinations and conspiring men are not mentioned in GC. I will gladly donate $1000 to the charity of your choice. We are too worried about 501c and birthdays to worry about HF's children. Did you know that 8M children are trafficked each year? Where is the church on this? Honestly, I believe that the church is being blackmailed. Perhaps they made a deal with the devil years ago, and interest has accrued!

I believe that the plan of salvation is more scientific than religious. Yes, I believe that the first vision contained a spaceship and superior beings presented themselves to JS. I believe that there are other scientific explanations to gospel principles. Religion tends to romanticize our HF's plan--but it's all scientific.. But this is a different subject...

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 6:18 am.. Oh, and they've shut all the canteens which were a nice place to meet members from other wards
Translation: cafeteria ;)

I had to google it to understand what a canteen is. Although I kind of assumed it from the context of what you were saying. Unless, y'all are genies or djinns, where you come from, and you actually meet inside of a canteen!
canteen.jpg
canteen.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 882 times

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Great8 wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:29 pm
Chris wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:40 am

Vaughn J. Featherstone,

Powerful comment. Thank you. But how can you be so certain??? I have learned in life that nothing is as what it appears to be. RMN encouraging us to follow the global leaders and then get the shot??? This is a test??? This doesn't make sense. Sounds a little Warren Jeffesque to me.

By saying this, you can take any gospel concept and twist it to fit your narrative. What is wrong is wrong and what is right is right. What does it mean to 'stick with the church'? Should I give my tithes to Corp and EPA rather than helping children (Bountiful Children's Found)? The covenants in the temple are simplistic and easy to do - stay loyal to your spouse, give everything for the building up of the kingdom of God etc etc.

I love the VJF story. It highlights how we despised secret combinations and Babylon. Today, we embrace it. I will bet $1000 that secret combinations and conspiring men are not mentioned in GC. I will gladly donate $1000 to the charity of your choice. We are too worried about 501c and birthdays to worry about HF's children. Did you know that 8M children are trafficked each year? Where is the church on this? Honestly, I believe that the church is being blackmailed. Perhaps they made a deal with the devil years ago, and interest has accrued!

I believe that the plan of salvation is more scientific than religious. Yes, I believe that the first vision contained a spaceship and superior beings presented themselves to JS. I believe that there are other scientific explanations to gospel principles. Religion tends to romanticize our HF's plan--but it's all scientific.. But this is a different subject...
Yes you should always pay your tithing to the church..... Couple reasons, they are commandments and there are consequences. If you dont pay your titihing their is a scripture that says you will have "Neither root, nor branch." You know what means dont you. You lose your family and break the sealing. Also everyone knows the quote about not being burned...... Those are good enough for me.

I am not saying he is perfect. ( President RMN ). I am not saying i agree with what he did with the letters and the VAX. I dont agree with what he did. But i do know i dont know everything. I dont know the reasoning. It may have been a mistake like the 116 pages and Joseph. It may have been an open vision like joseph received saying if he didn't destroy the Nauvoo Expositor it would lead to a massacre in Nauvoo. IT could be if they did not do what they did it would have hurt the church and the mission the lord had...... IT could be the Lord wanted it to happen to TEST the saints, it could have been all of the above. What i am saying is i dont know. You dont know and everyone on this site does not know why they did what they did. There is a hole lot of speculation and accusations but no one knows.

So i put this up on the shelf and leave it there for the Lord. I was told not to get the shot and i am glad i did not.

However what i do know is he is a prophet, that has not changed. I have recounted on this site many miracles i have seen with the brethren, no need to recount it. I have had many experiences and i know for my self, no faith but knowledge. The Lord can count on me to stand by him and his church.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

creator wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:33 pm
Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 6:18 am.. Oh, and they've shut all the canteens which were a nice place to meet members from other wards

I had to google it to understand what a canteen is. Although I kind of assumed it from the context of what you were saying. Unless, y'all are genies or djinns, where you come from, and you actually meet inside of a canteen!

canteen.jpg
A canteen tends to be a work or school café – usually (semi-)private. Calling it a cafeteria makes it sound a lot fancier than it is. 😉 (I had no idea that this word didn't exist in Americanese. Not to be confused with cantina... that's a whole other ball game.)

Shutting the canteens down was a horrible idea. When we travel down we have to use motorway (=freeway) stops which are usually junk food (Starbucks, KFC, Burger King) and cost two or three times the price of their competitors in towns/cities.

We very rarely get a chance to meet our friends in other stakes or units now. It was a good place to bump into them and chill out between sessions. Now you have to book in, mask up and sit around.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm A canteen tends to be a work or school café – usually (semi-)private. Calling it a cafeteria makes it sound a lot fancier than it is.
Cafeteria is precisely what we call the school or temple "café". A cafeteria is probably never considered fancy here in Utah. And "café" here is usually a coffeehouse, Starbucks, or a small hipster restaurant.

:ugeek:
Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm Not to be confused with cantina... that's a whole other ball game.)
Cantina is something most only know as a Star Wars reference.
Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pmShutting the canteens down was a horrible idea..
I have a lot of family members that were disappointed with the cafeterias being shut down. They liked to eat there after a family temple outing.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm(I had no idea that this word didn't exist in Americanese.
I always thought of a canteen as a place to eat (besides the water bottle), because I'm really sure that's what they call the dining area in the military.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

creator wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:41 pm A cafeteria is probably never considered fancy here in Utah. And "café" here is usually a coffeehouse, Starbucks, or a small hipster restaurant.
Right. In the United States, a cafe is an informal eating place - a small one.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

creator wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:41 pm And "café" here is usually a coffeehouse, Starbucks, or a small hipster restaurant.
I see what they mean by divided by a common language... "Café" has no particular upmarket connotations here, although some are. Starbucks would be a café but so would the kind of place we'd call a "greasy spoon". I suppose the phrase "greasy spoon" is fairly self-explanatory, it gives you an image of the place... not always well maintained, but cheap and cheerful with the food all fried... you'd be lucky to get a metal spoon in some of those places

When I worked as a labourer on building sites many years ago, I used to go to a place which was anything but hipster. We used to go in with our dirty work clothes on. But it had a sign saying "café" on the outside.

I'd feel odd calling the temple canteen a café or cafeteria because the word's derived form coffee, or at least the French version of it, and that's not very Mormon.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I have a prediction:

A giant nothing burger will be served in customary pomp.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

LDS Physician wrote: September 21st, 2022, 6:06 am
Subcomandante wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:09 am
h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:26 am Yesterday, their wise and thoughtful leader declared the pandemic over (fortuitous, completely coincidental timing for the midterms), so maybe they'll announce full capacity this time?
Lizzy is right here. It'll be half-capacity for the foreseeable future due to parking constraints in and around Temple Square as construction continues.
They can't fill 20,000 seats when 2 million LDS live within 50 miles? There are trains and buses ... you don't have to park to go to conference. I've gone several times.
But. do Americans know how to use public transport? (I say cheekily)

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

canteen.jpg
😆🤣

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

October 2022 Recap

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Subcomandante wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:29 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:32 pm Whitehorse will be my Saturday destination.
Yukon? Must be quite beautiful up there!
Just Image

Another miracle of timing as per march8miracle.org :lol:

CBNC 🐳 One less Hassle, that is most apropos. :mrgreen: gbng

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: October 2022 Recap

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Subcomandante wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:29 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:32 pm Whitehorse will be my Saturday destination.
Yukon? Must be quite beautiful up there!
Just Image

Another miracle of timing as per march8miracle.org :lol:

CBNC 🐳 One less Hassle, that is most apropos. :mrgreen: gbng

We Serve People.

We Give Glory to God.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Leadership Meeting: 6 new Area Seventies called:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders/2 ... conference

Willy Benene, Kananga DR Congo, Seminaries and Institutes Coordinator
Bernhard Cziesla, Jakobwüllesheim Germany, Director of Toyota Financial Services EUR/AFR
Yves Weidmann, Burgdorf, Switzerland, Head of Governmental Affairs, member of executive board of Interpharma (ooh, this'll be fun!)
Sione Tuione, Auckland New Zealand, Area Leader/Member Support Coordinator
Ricardo J Battista, Industrial fuel measurement Technician, Buenos Aires Argentina
Nathan Emery, Belleair Florida USA, Ophthalmologist, self-employed

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Niemand wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm

canteen.jpg
A canteen tends to be a work or school café – usually (semi-)private. Calling it a cafeteria makes it sound a lot fancier than it is. 😉 (I had no idea that this word didn't exist in Americanese. Not to be confused with cantina... that's a whole other ball game.)
As an American, my image of a cafeteria is something very plain and un-fancy. School lunch rooms are called cafeterias here. I think the temple lunch rooms would qualify as the same. Now if I went to a nice all-you-can eat restaurant, I'd call it a buffet. But I don't have a word for a fancy version of that. If I was forced to find one, I think I'd just call it an "upscale buffet."

I think we need a new thread for linguistic discussions :lol:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Baurak Ale wrote: September 29th, 2022, 2:18 pm

canteen.jpg
As an American, my image of a cafeteria is something very plain and un-fancy. School lunch rooms are called cafeterias here. I think the temple lunch rooms would qualify as the same. Now if I went to a nice all-you-can eat restaurant, I'd call it a buffet. But I don't have a word for a fancy version of that. If I was forced to find one, I think I'd just call it an "upscale buffet."

I think we need a new thread for linguistic discussions :lol:
They can be fun.

"Fanny pack" has strange connotations over here, while the phrase "I'm going out for a fag" (cigarette) has a different connotation in America...

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

canteen.jpg

Shutting the canteens down was a horrible idea. When we travel down we have to use motorway (=freeway) stops which are usually junk food (Starbucks, KFC, Burger King) and cost two or three times the price of their competitors in towns/cities.

We very rarely get a chance to meet our friends in other stakes or units now. It was a good place to bump into them and chill out between sessions. Now you have to book in, mask up and sit around.
Canteen used to be the name for a US Military sponsored 'cafe'-like gathering place or shop for military personnel located in civilian areas outside military installations. A place where you could mingle with other military folk and buy refreshments and minor goods and perhaps entertainment. I well remember one I visited in Tokyo.

Not sure they still exist.