Tithing - we expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar.. Joseph F. Smith, 1907

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jamescm
captain of 100

Re: Tithing - we expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar.. Joseph F. Smith, 1907

Post by Jamescm »

A tithing based on land interest seems reasonable to someone whose primary income or subsistence is based on his land. A tithing based on a salary seems reasonable to someone whose primary income or subsistence is based in an earned salary. As for deducting living expenses? It's a little murky for me, because each individual gets to determine, for him or herself, what that is. It is tempting to live more extravagantly-to buy more or different food or clothing, for example, and pay less in tithing thereby.

One suggestion, one idea I've applied-and this is the Gospel according to James nonotoneinthebible-is not to deduct expenses, but to deduct government mandated payments. If I earn $100,000 (and I don't) and the government takes 20% of that, I call tithing at $8,000 because I really have no option to receive or keep the missing 20%. It is as if I never earned it at all, for if I elect to hold it, it will be demanded of me and I have yet to find a fish full of unreported income I can pay it off with. If I live in an especially oppressive government, then, I'm not stuck with a tithing expectation I can never pay. Income taxes, medicare taxes, social security taxes, property taxes, vehicle registrations, legally mandated insurance I would otherwise forgo... I would add sales tax, but I'm not about to itemize my every purchase just to shave off some more tithing money.

But the house I chose? The food I choose, including brand and frequency of dining out? My clothing and their style and quality? The internet speed (or whether to have home internet at all)? I'll accept responsibility for that sort of stuff.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Re: Tithing - we expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar.. Joseph F. Smith, 1907

Post by darknesstolight »

Artaxerxes wrote: September 21st, 2022, 12:33 pm
darknesstolight wrote: September 21st, 2022, 12:07 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: September 21st, 2022, 10:19 am
darknesstolight wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:05 am

So you admit you are attacking me personally. That is against forum rules and can get you banned AND it's a sign of weakness.

That isn't what I said. I see your reading skills haven't improved in the last month.
Yeah my reading skills are horrible but that doesn't change the fact that your argument is a twisting of the OP's words and that you have employed dishonorable tactics supposedly because you desire to win an argument. I'm gonna report every time you attack me personally. As a good member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and who "follows the prophet", you ought to respect the rules of the house you are a guest in.

Lol! I always do enjoy when people can dish it out but can't take it.
Sounds like a man who is following the prophet.