Who are your bible or gospel scholars?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
wengs42
captain of 10

Who are your bible or gospel scholars?

Post by wengs42 »

I have a few bible or gospel scholars I love to listen to or read their books, commentaries etc. for example hugh nibley or clean skousen.

Who are your prophets or scholars you like to listen to? and why?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Who are your bible or gospel scholars?

Post by marc »

Hugh Nibley and Avraham Gileadi because I like the deep dives they offer, especially Avraham Gidleadi's translation of Isaiah from the Masoretic text and his insights as a convert from Judaism to our church.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

idk exactly about lord of spirits podcast (Frs Andrew Damick & Stephen DeYoung), i think the latter is a scholar, and has a podcast ive been enjoying recently called "whole counsel of God" where he goes thru verse by verse commentary, A+ New Testament study aide👌

michael heiser is a good intro to some important things

nt wright seems alright

heard good things about john salhammer. still have yet to get to him

i wish i had some lds to recommend (besides the obvious ones) but seems we don't exactly produce theologians really, at least not anymore

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

wengs42 wrote: September 18th, 2022, 2:28 pm I have a few bible or gospel scholars I love to listen to or read their books, commentaries etc. for example hugh nibley or clean skousen.

I like Chris Hubbard a.k.a. Watcher who wrote the book: Solving the Prophet Puzzle and is on You-Tube and spoke of The Secret History of Mormonism.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRWs38Ux7A&t=722s

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

GeeR wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:55 pm
wengs42 wrote: September 18th, 2022, 2:28 pm I have a few bible or gospel scholars I love to listen to or read their books, commentaries etc. for example hugh nibley or clean skousen.

I like Chris Hubbard a.k.a. Watcher who wrote the book: Solving the Prophet Puzzle and is on You-Tube and spoke of The Secret History of Mormonism.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRWs38Ux7A&t=722s
Oh! His book and You-tube presentation changed my paradigm of the church. The restoration is a future event not a past event.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

In college a roommate left behind a book when he moved out and then told me I could have it. The book was titled, "God, Man, and the Universe" by Hyrum Andrus. I got bored one day and read it. It was excellent and I went out and bought two more of his books. I am now a big fan of Hyrum L. Andrus. Not too long ago he passed away but there is a site that has many of his talks also. It is on youtube and it is "Light and Truth".

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Rob Smith, Denver Snuffer, Adrien Larsen. I don't agree with all they say or teach. They teach things at odds with each other (mainly Rob against Denver and Adrien being essentially alligned0. I'm not saying I'm "all in" on any of them but I can tell I have a degree of faith in what they all say. They may not technically be "scholars" but the farther away I am from institutionalized academia, the happier I am. I acknowledge I may be being deceived, but at least I acknowledge I could be wrong with conclusions I make and things I have faith in.

I'm always impressed with Rob's ability to pull stories from the Old Testament and expound on them seemingly effortlessly as if he were a Christian preacher. But when he does it, he expounds on it into his flavor of Mormonism. I feel like Denver's mind is superhumanly sharp on Mormon history, regardless of whether someone agrees with his interpretation of all of it. And I just think Adrien uses the scriptures to explain what's going on in a powerful way. With one of the best cases of this being the long series he has been writing throughout the year suggesting that a misinterpreted Book of Mormon reference provides a time frame for us to see that in that record covering civilizations on a promised land, the civilizations typically get a 250 year run, then refreshments/resets at the Hand of God occur. He starts with that idea to build up to a point of commentary on where we are today. I think it's compelling.

I'm grateful I came across these writers.

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

Hugh Nibley, Bob Smith, Denver Snuffer. I think Bob Smith is a different person than 'Rob Smith' people site on this forum. Bob was a very good friend of one of my best friends. He passed a couple of years ago. I kept pestering Bob with questions about Isaiah via email and he finally sent me a CD of his bible translation. His Isaiah translation has very much more information and footnotes than Avraham's does. Bob gave the same treatment to all the books of the Bible. He studied Hebrew and went to Rabbinical school, like Avraham. I sat down and went through it all from morning until night until I had consumed it all. I feel like the 'manner of prophesying among the Jews' is installed in my mind, now. Bob's work was brilliant, with no trace of intellectual laziness. He, daily, drew parallels between scripture and Latter-day events. In that, it seems, he stretched it too far but his translation, from every text available, and scholarship was brilliant.
From what I have gathered, from this site, Dallin H Oaks was at odds with Hugh Nibley, and it's interesting that Nibley remained untouchable.
Denver's books are interesting. He is another who displays absolutely no intellectual laziness; he doesn't rely upon opinion or prejudice.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

I enjoy Cleon W. Skousen's interpretation of many things, and much of what Hugh Nibley has written. I've entertained the Eliason group's writing, but I was turned away by one of their books that came off as a little too sympathetic to hurts or wrongs committed by Christians through history, without so much mention of the hurts and wrongs committed against Christians historically and today. I enjoy Gill's Exposition on the Bible for occasional commentary, as well as much of the commentary in older Institute of Religion manuals. I've meant to read Avraham, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

HeberC wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:31 pm Hugh Nibley, Bob Smith, Denver Snuffer. I think Bob Smith is a different person than 'Rob Smith' people site on this forum. Bob was a very good friend of one of my best friends. He passed a couple of years ago.
Is there a website with at least some of Bob's material collected?
HeberC wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:31 pm Denver's books are interesting. He is another who displays absolutely no intellectual laziness; he doesn't rely upon opinion or prejudice.
Yes, this was a big reason he stands out to me and commands my attention. I'm not 100% a believer in his otherworldly claims but I think he could be what he says he is. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. But he's insanely brilliant, has written compelling material and is not afraid to against the grain of established or popular opinion. I feel like a dead-end or a road to nowhere is what institutionalized/accepted Mormon history led me to. I find Denver's differing takes on history fascinating. I hope it's true. If it's not true, then I'm left to continue to look for messengers from my father. I don't believe they're found in the system I came from and lost hope and faith in.

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

I noticed that some people aren't convinced that Denver has received the Second Comforter. If I have reservations about that, I ask myself if it is because of my lack of faith in Christ. Also, I keep noticing that truth is stranger than fiction, and Joseph said no man is condemned for believing too much (paraphrased, a little).