The 49th State

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AkalAish
captain of 100

The 49th State

Post by AkalAish »

Hello my new friends...

I have so enjoyed conversing with all of you in the short time I have been among your fine selves. The felicitous welcome I have received is wonderful, thank you. I have been asked a number of Alaska related questions (I live in Alaska with my lovely wife and children), and so I thought I would carve a frozen space for all questions Alaska. Anything you have always wanted to know from someone who lives here? Any experiences you have yourself of visiting?

I pray this day finds all of you greatly blessed and that the Holy One gifts you with tremendous joy, especially as Rosh Hashanah draws near.

Shalom

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Re: The 49th State

Post by FoundMyEden »

I love Alaska. How are the freedom minded handling the last two years? Have many over there been persuaded to take the jab due to loss of employment, medical care, etc? Or have they had more of a Missouri attitude where they just ignore the government mandates and carry on within their communities?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Welcome to the forum.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

FoundMyEden wrote: September 18th, 2022, 12:06 pm I love Alaska. How are the freedom minded handling the last two years? Have many over there been persuaded to take the jab due to loss of employment, medical care, etc? Or have they had more of a Missouri attitude where they just ignore the government mandates and carry on within their communities?
Drilling? What drilling? Why should we rely on American resources when we can pour money into terrorist states and the like?

That is an example of things outside of our control.

For the most part, Alaskans are of the leave-me-alone-and-I-will-leave-you-alone mentality. We often feel very different (read: estranged) from the Lower 48, and that is a GOOD thing. Alaska is big. We have plenty of land to tame and we are very self-sufficient. There are plenty of ways to live off the grid if one wants to do so. Our motto is..."Washington? Where is that?"

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Silver Pie wrote: September 18th, 2022, 3:21 pm Welcome to the forum.
Thank you, kindly, and shalom.

commonwealth
captain of 100

Post by commonwealth »

I recently returned from Ketchikan, and was interested to see just how much of what they need is shipped in. I loved my time there, but I'm not sure I could live there, as my career caters to larger populations. Just wondering what your experience is comparing different parts of Alaska - how different is Juneau from Anchorage from Ketchikan, etc...?

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Juneau is about the same as Ketchikan as far as the remoteness and everything having to be shipped in. It still has no roads in or out. There is no such thing as next day shipping. I lived in south East (mostly Ketchikan) for 20 years my wife was raised in Ketchikan. The bigger cities in the north have similar but not quite as extreme situations. If your experience is Ketchikan though I will say that it is where equipment is sent to die. Any multi city company, organization, government, native corporation, whatever, always send the hand me downs to Ketchikan and tell you to deal with it. It takes a lot to keep the infrastructure going there because everything is nearly worn out.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Ah you are preparing for Rosh Hashanah/Rosh Teruah. I have just finished a study of this moed. I have searched through the scriptures and listened to so many rabbis, each with their own emphasis of the meaning in Torah mixed with the sages. I think I enjoyed Rabbi Forman's the best. Mostly because he shows through Torah that as a day of blowing it is a remembrance of your relationship with God. I have spent the last two or 3 weeks going through Torah, and understanding the significance of the shofar so his explanation resonated with my studies. I think all scripture has levels of understanding from literal to revelation so for me the shofar represents to hear the voice of G-d. I know most will celebrate a new year with feasting. I decided I would go with fasting and repentance. ( I think moedim prepare us for future events and we've got one coming up fast and hard.)As I listened to his teaching my mind reflected to the Book of Mormon to two different places. The first is King Benjamin's speech to his people where they had gathered around to hear him speak of coming to G-d and the spirit brought about a mighty change of heart and the second where the people in 3 Nephi where the people gathered around the temple and hear a voice out of heaven. It calls to them 3 times. It reflects Sinai to me. The King of the Universe wants to meet his people and tells them to prepare. In Duetronomy it is terrifying, all the earth shakes, the shofar heard isn't an earthly one, the mount is black with clouds and yet they heard and understood, God speaks. Moses says he stands between. One of the prayers repeated on that day is most beautiful.

"You revealed yourself in a cloud of Glory to your Holy nation, to speak to them.
For the heavens you made your voice heard in thick clouds of purity.
The whole world trembled before you and the creatures of creation feared you when you , our king revealed yourself on Mount Sinai."

He wants a nation of priests. You will be my people and I will be your G-d. Magnificent!

In the book of Mormon in 3 Nephi, when he calls out to them he mourns. How often I would have gathered you, yet you would not. This after terrible destruction. Cities have been sunk, mountains collapsed on cities, cities burned with fire, etc. Total destruction of an evil society. Only a remnant is left (like the hut in the melon field in isaiah).
There are so many comparisons to make.
So shalom, may G-d be with you and yours during this season of remembrance.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The only concern I have about Alaska is it seems the Russian government has designs on getting it back. A war with Russia in the Pacific would, I believe, put Alaska in danger of invasion, just as a war in the Pacific with China would put Australia and New Zealand in danger.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

lundbaek wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:20 am The only concern I have about Alaska is it seems the Russian government has designs on getting it back. A war with Russia in the Pacific would, I believe, put Alaska in danger of invasion, just as a war in the Pacific with China would put Australia and New Zealand in danger.
First...I love all of your comments and will get back to them. Just popping in on my way to work. When Russia first mentioned that Alaska belonged to Russia and ought to be returned...the world turned to the governor. His comments were somewhere along the lines of "Well, I have hundreds of thousands of armed citizens who feel otherwise."

Alaska is three times the size of Texas.

There is a lot of wilderness into which we can go.

Just saying.

:)

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

The leaves are all but changed now...current temperature 49 degrees. The prepares itself for the coming snow. If I had to guess, I would say we are but two weeks out from the first snowfall. Last year, our first major snow was the 21st of September. We shall see...

And so much of the rest of the country continues to boil...

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Autumn reminds me of Ray Bradbury.

"THE OCTOBER COUNTRY …that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain…"

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

43 degrees at 8:09 in the morning on this delightful day before Rosh Hashanah begins this evening. I pray that each of you are having a beautiful time wherever you may be.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

I love it here.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »