It's not climate change. Lake Mead is being drained.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

It's not climate change. Lake Mead is being drained.

Post by Fred »

Also. much of the upper Colorado River is being diverted to populated areas. Flaming Gorge and Starvation fill up every year. Even this year. Flaming Gorge has had 2 major releases to feed Lake Powell which feeds Lake Mead.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Re: It's not climate change. Lake Mead is being drained.

Post by FrankOne »

Since I lived most of my life in Vegas, this subject has been of interest to me. I recall Bill Clinton dropping lake mead by dozens of feet...I can't recall exactly how many but he supposedly did it to give water to protected fish. It was hilarious. Since then I've watched the subject now and again but we are far from "inactive pool" or "dead pool".

It went up 4 feet last month due to heavy rainfall in the basins. from the little that I've studied it, if we continue in a severe drought for 3 more straight years then it would result in an inactive pool, meaning the turbines won't spin.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if 'they' drain it sooner.

here is a good link to watch the levels. It takes the drama out of all the wild claims.

https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/ho ... d-elv.html

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Cant verify. I was at lunch with a good friend. A good friend of his was complaining to him that he was out west of the Great Salt Lake and found a canal funneling water westward from the lake. He was convinced that there is an effort to drain this lake also. Utah is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into saving the GSL. Money going all over the place. Probably lots going into politicians back pockets.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

seems to follow rainfall patterns more than any man-made cause - here's a graphical view:

http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/

you can also see the levels of flaming gorge and lake powell and a bunch of others from the menu. Also contains links to snowpack levels.