Was John Taylor the last true prophet?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Chris
captain of 100

Re: Was John Taylor the last true prophet?

Post by Chris »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:39 am
Chris wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:48 pm
Qlitewski wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:23 am Was John Taylor the last true prophet?
Dont fall for all the crap on this site. There are currently 15 prophets. I have personally seen prophetic events from several of these men.

President nelson after 9/23/17 ( the revelations chapter 12 sign given started making changes home based church supported etc. And many others.

The fact that many on this site claim joseph as a prophet and then ignore all his prophecies on the destinys of this church baffles the mind.

It is like cs lewis once said of christ. He was either the son of god or a mad man. You cant call him a well meaning man or a prophet. He is either the christ or a lunatic.

Same with the church it is either the lords church or it isnt. There is no midde ground. Yes the ocassional person or leader may fall away. But not all as these, as people claim.

There has to be a place for priesthood, baptism, temples etc...... or else the scriptures lie and they do not.

Church is true, there is a prophet in the land today.
Why do the Church then deny essential laws and ordinances, and change others?
Like what?

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:50 am
Jason wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:39 am
Qlitewski wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:23 am Was John Taylor the last true prophet?
Nah...that was Moses...it was all downhill after Moses. Still 10 simple commandments that 99% of the population of the world can't keep...

...and no one has brought forth any more stone tablets....or an ark...and Joshua's parlor trick in the river Jordan...well just not on par with parting the Red Sea...
The problem is that today’s imposters bring forth no fruit whatsoever.

No miracles, no revelations, nothing.

This is undeniable.
That is simply not true, i have shared on here two miracles with brethren i have seen with my own eyes. You are making assumptions based on nothing.

When i was younger i was about to turn in my 2 weeks notice at work and move back to where i grew up. I knew the Lord wanted me to stay but i didnt care. I went to lunch that day and there was a man waiting for me. I did not know him, He tried to talk to me and kept talking then he asked if he could eat with me. I said yes. He was a GA, He said the Lord sent him accross the street to talk to me and tell me to stay, After lunch we went to his office he gave me a blessing and told me the Lord needs me here and i should not run from the Lord.... I guess you could say he was the whale sent to fetch me.

2nd. I had a lady from my mission who was on the fence with joining the church and procrastinating it. She came to Utah for a visit while eating lunch in a mall food court Elder Holland walked up to her and said the Lord wants you baptised sister, she was amazed and shocked..... The next day she was eating at same food court downtown. Elder Eyring walked up to her and said you are the lady Elder Holland talked to yesterday and i am your second witness, the Lord wants you baptised...... she felt a amazing spirit and confirmation after both expereinces and went home and was baptised.

that is 2 expereinces and 2 miracles, well technically 3.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:58 am
Dont fall for all the crap on this site. There are currently 15 prophets. I have personally seen prophetic events from several of these men.

President nelson after 9/23/17 ( the revelations chapter 12 sign given started making changes home based church supported etc. And many others.

The fact that many on this site claim joseph as a prophet and then ignore all his prophecies on the destinys of this church baffles the mind.

It is like cs lewis once said of christ. He was either the son of god or a mad man. You cant call him a well meaning man or a prophet. He is either the christ or a lunatic.

Same with the church it is either the lords church or it isnt. There is no midde ground. Yes the ocassional person or leader may fall away. But not all as these, as people claim.

There has to be a place for priesthood, baptism, temples etc...... or else the scriptures lie and they do not.

Like what?
They rarely do second anointings, and plural marriage is banned.

They have changed the washing, anointing, and endowment over and over and over again.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I am working hard in my corner of the vineyard to help my brothers and sisters recognize that looking for prophets is useful, but learning to discern the spirit of prophecy is much better.

Success is mixed at best.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Like what?

They have changed the washing, anointing, and endowment over and over and over again.
I know 3 couples who have had their 2nd anoitnings and also had some other very sacred things i will not write. There is a lot going on, people just dont know about it because they dont advertise it, as they shouldnt.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Like what?

I know 3 couples who have had their 2nd anoitnings and also had some other very sacred things i will not write. There is a lot going on, people just dont know about it because they dont advertise it, as they shouldnt.
Yeah but it’s supposed to be an ordinance for everyone.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Like what?

I dont think there was ever a time when it was for everyone ( meaning it is something they push for for everyone, like temple blessings ). Joseph did it, but he knew who to do it for by revelation. The people he gave that to, i am not sure any of them ever fell away. The apostles who left his side never recieved it, or atleast by and large..... After that in the early days of the church and still today a stake president can recommend someone for the ordinace to the first presidency and then they pray about if it is right they get an invitation from the prophet for the ordinance by mail and a phone call. That is how it has always been done and is still done today ( dont ask me how i know ) .... It is a good thing it isnt something as easy as going to the temple or there would be several more people then needed going to outer darkeness. Also it is quite detailed and there are many things that happen when someone recieves this and other things attached to it. There is no question the church is true, The Lord guides and reigns over this church and his servants are anoited servants of the lord when this is received. there is much more to it than most suspect and you cant come out of there and do what many do on this site or they will be cut off and have no forgiveness in the world to come. It is a blessing most have not had it.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:06 pm
Nah...that was Moses...it was all downhill after Moses. Still 10 simple commandments that 99% of the population of the world can't keep...

...and no one has brought forth any more stone tablets....or an ark...and Joshua's parlor trick in the river Jordan...well just not on par with parting the Red Sea...

This is undeniable.
That is simply not true, i have shared on here two miracles with brethren i have seen with my own eyes. You are making assumptions based on nothing.

When i was younger i was about to turn in my 2 weeks notice at work and move back to where i grew up. I knew the Lord wanted me to stay but i didnt care. I went to lunch that day and there was a man waiting for me. I did not know him, He tried to talk to me and kept talking then he asked if he could eat with me. I said yes. He was a GA, He said the Lord sent him accross the street to talk to me and tell me to stay, After lunch we went to his office he gave me a blessing and told me the Lord needs me here and i should not run from the Lord.... I guess you could say he was the whale sent to fetch me.

2nd. I had a lady from my mission who was on the fence with joining the church and procrastinating it. She came to Utah for a visit while eating lunch in a mall food court Elder Holland walked up to her and said the Lord wants you baptised sister, she was amazed and shocked..... The next day she was eating at same food court downtown. Elder Eyring walked up to her and said you are the lady Elder Holland talked to yesterday and i am your second witness, the Lord wants you baptised...... she felt a amazing spirit and confirmation after both expereinces and went home and was baptised.

You said you saw two miracles "with your own eyes", but only related one.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm

I dont think there was ever a time when it was for everyone ( meaning it is something they push for for everyone, like temple blessings ). Joseph did it, but he knew who to do it for by revelation. The people he gave that to, i am not sure any of them ever fell away. The apostles who left his side never recieved it, or atleast by and large..... After that in the early days of the church and still today a stake president can recommend someone for the ordinace to the first presidency and then they pray about if it is right they get an invitation from the prophet for the ordinance by mail and a phone call. That is how it has always been done and is still done today ( dont ask me how i know ) .... It is a good thing it isnt something as easy as going to the temple or there would be several more people then needed going to outer darkeness. Also it is quite detailed and there are many things that happen when someone recieves this and other things attached to it. There is no question the church is true, The Lord guides and reigns over this church and his servants are anoited servants of the lord when this is received. there is much more to it than most suspect and you cant come out of there and do what many do on this site or they will be cut off and have no forgiveness in the world to come. It is a blessing most have not had it.
No… it WAS something that Joseph taught was as essential as the endowment.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I think sadly the Second Anointing, or some altered version of it, is what causes a lot of problems in the LDS. Part of what makes Nelson and co. so cocksure is that they have had it, and think they are infallible and won't admit failure.

As far as I can tell, getting the Second Anointing is nowadays mainly an indicator that you're in with the church establishment.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

This story isn't related to prophets, although I do have a neat story about President Monson I won't share, that was a miracle for our family when I was a kid. But last night we had my brother and sister in-law over for dinner, and we were talking about temples.

My SIL told us a story that a woman she worked with at the temple was married to a non-member, but this woman still had a desire to work at the temple. Her husband didn't like the idea of her making the drive alone, so every week he would drive her to her shift, and while she worked her shift, he would hang out there locally while she was serving.

One day she left her shift, and went out to meet him in the parking lot where he usually parked, but couldn't find him, after searching she found him in a different part of the parking lot, and when looking in saw that her husband was asleep in the car and in the back seat was their 8-year-old grandson her husband picked up. She said to her grandson something like, "Oh, I'm sorry you've had to sit in the car while your grandpa was sleeping. I bet it was not very fun." And the grandson replied, "It was okay. I was watching all the people in white go in and out of the temple." The grandmother looked and didn't see what he was talking about, but her grandson told her there were a bunch of people dressed in white outside the temple, and someone would come out of the temple with something in their hand that looked like a clipboard, and tell the people it was their time to enter. The grandson said they looked really happy and excited to hear it was their turn to go inside.

I told my SIL that this story reminded me of a story we heard at a fireside, that a particular prophet/apostle/general authority (can't remember who it was) described seeing a vision in the baptistry of the temple in which the spirits were waiting to be baptized, and they were lined up there in the baptistry waiting their turn. He said there wasn't anyone missing, that there was a spirit waiting when each name was called.

I bear my testimony that the work we do in the temples is needed for our ancestors. I've had many other spiritual experiences that witness that fact, as well as hearing from many others of the miracles they've experienced that confirm the covenants we make in temples are needed and wanted by those on the other side of the veil. They are inspiring their descendants to do their ordinances so that they can progress with God beyond death.
Last edited by Sarah on September 17th, 2022, 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:16 pm
Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm

No… it WAS something that Joseph taught was as essential as the endowment.
It is, but it isnt necessary in mortality. Very serious implications and to be honest most people dont have the faith or righteousness to make it happen.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Robin Hood wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

This is undeniable.

Yes, i know the lady so in my book that counts..... If you want to get technical on miracles i can say i have seen hundreds with my own eyes. This is just directly related to the brethren...... I have had the gift of healing all my life, My brother had his eye shot out with a paint ball gun i gave him a blessing and healed him. My sister, had apendicites and it ruptured and turned her uterous into scar tissue, she had no uterous left, after giving her a blessing she has 3 kids. My other brother was born dead, my dad gave him a blessing and brought him back to life. I have seen miracle after miracle, i have seen the savior twice, i have had multiple visions of what is coming, 1 of them out of body...... i have been blessed in the department of miracles for which i am thankfull and i give the glory to GOD. Mormon 9 and Ether 12 are very true.

I have seen more miracles then most, it is all because of this church, the priesthood and my faithfullness to the Lord and his anoited that i have been so blessed.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Sarah wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:27 pm This story isn't related to prophets, although I do have a neat story about President Monson I won't share, that was a miracle for our family when I was a kid. But last night we had my brother and sister in-law over for dinner, and we were talking about temples.

My SIL told us a story that a woman she worked with at the temple was married to a non-member, but this woman still had a desire to work at the temple. Her husband didn't like the idea of her making the drive alone, so every week he would drive her to her shift, and while she worked her shift, he would hang out there locally why she was serving.

One day she left her shift, and went out to meet him in the parking lot where he usually parked, but couldn't find him, after searching she found him in a different part of the parking lot, and when looking in saw that her husband was asleep in the car and in the back seat was their 8-year-old grandson her husband picked up. She said to her grandson something like, "Oh, I'm sorry you've had to sit in the car while your grandpa was sleeping. I bet it was not very fun." And the grandson replied, "It was okay. I was watching all the people in white go in and out of the temple." The grandmother looked and didn't see what he was talking about, but her grandson told her there were a bunch of people dressed in white outside the temple, and someone would come out of the temple with something in their hand that looked like a clipboard, and tell the people it was their time to enter. The grandson said they looked really happy and excited to hear it was their turn to go inside.

I told my SIL that this story reminded me of a story we heard at a fireside, that a particular prophet/apostle/general authority (can't remember who it was) described seeing a vision in the baptistry of the temple in which the spirits were waiting to be baptized, and they were lined up there in the baptistry waiting their turn. He said there wasn't anyone missing, that there was a spirit waiting when each name was called.

I bear my testimony that the work we do the temples is needed for our ancestors. I've had many other spiritual experiences that witness that fact, as well as hearing from many others of the miracles they've experienced that confirm the covenants we make in temples are needed and wanted by those on the other side of the veil. They are inspiring their descendants to do their ordinances so that they can progress with God beyond death.
Pretty sure it was Melvin J Ballard

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:07 am
Jason wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:54 am

This is undeniable.
Hard to see when you are blind...
Speak for yourself, brother.
I've seen lots of miracles, revelations, etc...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 3:10 pm
Robin Hood wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

This is undeniable.

Yes, i know the lady so in my book that counts..... If you want to get technical on miracles i can say i have seen hundreds with my own eyes. This is just directly related to the brethren...... I have had the gift of healing all my life, My brother had his eye shot out with a paint ball gun i gave him a blessing and healed him. My sister, had apendicites and it ruptured and turned her uterous into scar tissue, she had no uterous left, after giving her a blessing she has 3 kids. My other brother was born dead, my dad gave him a blessing and brought him back to life. I have seen miracle after miracle, i have seen the savior twice, i have had multiple visions of what is coming, 1 of them out of body...... i have been blessed in the department of miracles for which i am thankfull and i give the glory to GOD. Mormon 9 and Ether 12 are very true.

I have seen more miracles then most, it is all because of this church, the priesthood and my faithfullness to the Lord and his anoited that i have been so blessed.
So, in this instance, you are claiming that knowing someone counts as seeing with your own eyes.
Got it.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Jason wrote: September 17th, 2022, 3:49 pm
Luke wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:07 am
Jason wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:54 am

This is undeniable.
Hard to see when you are blind...
Speak for yourself, brother.
I've seen lots of miracles, revelations, etc...
I would think that the post above was in reference to modern day prophets performing miracles and receiving revelations , declared as revelations from God. If a man talks to God and is in the position of Prophet of a church, he declares it is of God because God is the one speaking, not the man. He gives the people a directive from God to the people. That is supposed to be his job. When a man is talking as a man, he does not make the declaration.

I am wondering if you can cite any miracles or revelations from any of the last several of the LDS Prophets?

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

This is an amazing talk, i highly recommend. https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/matthew-cowley/miracles/

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

Niemand wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:25 pm I think sadly the Second Anointing, or some altered version of it, is what causes a lot of problems in the LDS. Part of what makes Nelson and co. so cocksure is that they have had it, and think they are infallible and won't admit failure.

As far as I can tell, getting the Second Anointing is nowadays mainly an indicator that you're in with the church establishment.
That is not true, most who recieve are humble and very righteous people who have no earthly riches etc..... It is a very amazing expereince and it is something where there are more heavenly beings in attendance than the people recieving it.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 4:25 pm
Niemand wrote: September 17th, 2022, 2:25 pm I think sadly the Second Anointing, or some altered version of it, is what causes a lot of problems in the LDS. Part of what makes Nelson and co. so cocksure is that they have had it, and think they are infallible and won't admit failure.

That is not true, most who recieve are humble and very righteous people who have no earthly riches etc..... It is a very amazing expereince and it is something where there are more heavenly beings in attendance than the people recieving it.
Considering they won't discuss or admit to the ordinance I'm curious how you would know that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

We aren't told most of those who receive it, but presumably many, if not most, seventies have had it.

Whether they fit that description is arguable.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

🤔

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

LDS know more about the hearts and private lives of men they never met than they do about the Book of Mormon

It's fascinating

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Chris wrote: September 17th, 2022, 3:04 pm
It is, but it isnt necessary in mortality. Very serious implications and to be honest most people dont have the faith or righteousness to make it happen.
I have always found this sentiment curious, and a little self-fulfilling. Why would I strive to have the manifestation of Jesus in the flesh if it's just not necessary? I'd just assume spend my time on the pleasures of mortality, while I can have them in this life, and save working out my calling and election made sure for the next, when I'd have less distractions. It seems to me that the Book of Mormon posits the opposite sentiment.

Also, why are we conflating the current day ordinance of Second Anointing with having one's calling and election made sure? Doesn't the latter kind of indicate being in the presence of the Savior in the flesh? And if so, can't we also conclude that the former today doesn't necessarily lead to the latter, in light of some of the Q15's comments on not having received such a witness?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Original_Intent wrote: September 17th, 2022, 1:10 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:38 am
From Wikipedia: Ineffability is the quality of something that surpasses the capacity of language to express it …

Flying colors in some contexts are ineffable, but worthy of exploration. :mrgreen: dbnp
Correct - it MUST be experienced and can be transmitted in no other way.
Dude from the Night Shift movie, where the first bit is about how time is ineffable, in a not serious kinda way. :D