Latter-day Saint leaders join interfaith coalition letter supporting LGBTQ rights in Florida

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Latter-day Saint leaders join interfaith coalition letter supporting LGBTQ rights in Florida

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

This headline sounds an awful lot like what the Episcopal church did. They say something like, "we believe in the doctrine of inclusion as Jesus taught." When is the LDS church going to call sin a sin? Capitulating to Babylon will not end well. A day of reconning is coming for the church. If the pandemic didn't wake you up... well, I'm honestly not sure what will. Maybe your next primary teacher will be a MAP (minor attracted person). SMH

The Parental Rights in Education bill is specifically called out. This bill essentially removed discussion about LGBTQ from the classroom.... Why in the hell is the church fighting against this? Here's a hit piece that did about that: https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2022/ ... ation-bill

Here's the link to the full article on the interfaith coalition w/ the church: https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/9/13 ... in-florida

From the article:
——————
Multiple rabbis, reverends and Latter-day Saint leaders are part of a group of over 45 religious, LGBTQ and educational leaders who signed a joint letter calling for legislation in Florida to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people from discrimination.

The letter, published Sunday in the Miami Herald and on Sept. 1 by the Tampa Bay Times under the headline “A call for peace,” specifically asks Floridians to support non-discrimination legislation to protect “all people from discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations, while also protecting important religious rights.”

“No one should be denied these protections based on their sexual orientation or gender identity, and likewise religious persons and institutions should be protected in practicing their faith,” the letter writers said.

The letter comes five months after Florida instituted its “Parental Rights in Education” law, which restricts classroom instruction about gender identity and sexual orientation in Florida schools.

The letter released Thursday called for peaceful discussion of non-discrimination proposals.

“LGBTQ rights and religious rights do not have to be in conflict,” the letter’s signees wrote. “...Now is the time to set aside political motives, malice and misrepresentations and commit to respectful dialogue and good-faith engagement.”

“As citizens and leaders in the state of Florida, we are extremely concerned that the ongoing conflicts between religious rights and LGBTQ rights are poisoning our civil discourse, eroding the free exercise of religion and preventing diverse people of good will from living together in peace and mutual respect,” they said.
——————

To be honest, if Adam and Steve want to do their thing... go ahead. I think this brings up an even bigger problem of allowing Babylon to educate our children.

Anyone have a great homeschooling program they like? That's an honest request.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on September 15th, 2022, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Re: Latter-day Saint leaders join interfaith coalition letter supporting LGBTQ rights in Florida

Post by Sunain »

Sigh... Second thing today I'm 100% against the church doing... Stop supporting sin and sinful organizations.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Re: Latter-day Saint leaders join interfaith coalition letter supporting LGBTQ rights in Florida

Post by tribrac »

That they hope and talk of peace is wonderful, but they talk like this agreement is the end.

Have they not realized the LGBTQ accepts the gift offered by the coalition of religious leaders and immediately ask for more?

The Utah Compact or whatever it was should have taught them that.

Why does the Church assume LGBTQ wants to peacefully coexist?

One LGBTQ activist said they would not stop, and would not be satisfied until heterosexual, cis gender, religious people are pushed off the street, into the shadows afraid to show their true selves.

I suppose in a way that could be considered peaceful.

Korsgaard46
captain of 50

Post by Korsgaard46 »

Finally, the camel asks, “May I not stand wholly within?” With pity, the master beckons him into the warm tent. But when the camel comes forward it becomes clear that the tent is too small for them both. “I think,” the camel said, “that there is not room for both of us here. It will be best for you to stand outside, as you are the smaller; there will then be room enough for me.” And with that, the man is forced outside of his tent.
On course.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:10 am This headline sounds an awful lot like what the Episcopal church did. They say something like, "we believe in the doctrine of inclusion as Jesus taught." When is the LDS church going to call sin a sin? Capitulating to Babylon will not end well. A day of reconning is coming for the church. If the pandemic didn't wake you up... well, I'm honestly not sure what will. Maybe your next primary teacher will be a MAP (minor attracted person). SMH

The Parental Rights in Education bill is specifically called out. This bill essentially removed discussion about LGBTQ from the classroom.... Why in the hell is the church fighting against this? Here's a hit piece that did about that: https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2022/ ... ation-bill

Here's the link to the full article on the interfaith coalition w/ the church: https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/9/13 ... in-florida

From the article:
——————
Multiple rabbis, reverends and Latter-day Saint leaders are part of a group of over 45 religious, LGBTQ and educational leaders who signed a joint letter calling for legislation in Florida to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people from discrimination.

The letter, published Sunday in the Miami Herald and on Sept. 1 by the Tampa Bay Times under the headline “A call for peace,” specifically asks Floridians to support non-discrimination legislation to protect “all people from discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations, while also protecting important religious rights.”

“No one should be denied these protections based on their sexual orientation or gender identity, and likewise religious persons and institutions should be protected in practicing their faith,” the letter writers said.

The letter comes five months after Florida instituted its “Parental Rights in Education” law, which restricts classroom instruction about gender identity and sexual orientation in Florida schools.

The letter released Thursday called for peaceful discussion of non-discrimination proposals.

“LGBTQ rights and religious rights do not have to be in conflict,” the letter’s signees wrote. “...Now is the time to set aside political motives, malice and misrepresentations and commit to respectful dialogue and good-faith engagement.”

“As citizens and leaders in the state of Florida, we are extremely concerned that the ongoing conflicts between religious rights and LGBTQ rights are poisoning our civil discourse, eroding the free exercise of religion and preventing diverse people of good will from living together in peace and mutual respect,” they said.
——————

To be honest, if Adam and Steve want to do their thing... go ahead. I think this brings up an even bigger problem of allowing Babylon to educate our children.

I know several LDS parents who are using this: https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:10 am
Attachments
eec23131af27464796287fc36689f136ace970fb.jpg
eec23131af27464796287fc36689f136ace970fb.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

The emphasis seems to be on guarding the Church’s religious right to choose employees and perform marriages which exclude LGBTQ people who perform acts which violate the religious beliefs of the Church. In return the Church is willing to protect the civil rights of LGBTQ individuals in secular institutions. I am not sure that will work in the long run.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Christianlee wrote: September 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm The emphasis seems to be on guarding the Church’s religious right to choose employees and perform marriages which exclude LGBTQ people who perform acts which violate the religious beliefs of the Church. In return the Church is willing to protect the civil rights of LGBTQ individuals in secular institutions. I am not sure that will work in the long run.
It throws under the bus your membership in order to preserve the "institution".

These guys are nuts. Yeah, so your membership can not discriminate against LGBTQ 6 days a week . . .but you can??? That's stupid-soon enough your membership is going to start demanding that you not discriminate either.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:10 am From the article:
——————
Multiple rabbis, reverends and Latter-day Saint leaders are part of a group of over 45 religious, LGBTQ and educational leaders who signed a joint letter calling for legislation in Florida to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people from discriminating.
Now that's something I can get behind. Wait, I may have quoted that wrong.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Here’s where we have to find a balance. We “discriminate” all the time. The real discovery is learning how to judge righteously from unrighteously.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

h_p wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:41 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:10 am From the article:
——————
Multiple rabbis, reverends and Latter-day Saint leaders are part of a group of over 45 religious, LGBTQ and educational leaders who signed a joint letter calling for legislation in Florida to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people from discriminating.
Now that's something I can get behind. Wait, I may have quoted that wrong.
LOL

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:10 am.

What is your budget?

There is the Ron Paul Curriculum
https://enroll.ronpaulcurriculum.site/? ... retarget=1

And Freedom Project Academy:
https://fpeusa.org/?presets=preset3

ABeka was popular when I was homeschooling years ago. Very “Born Again” oriented.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

The Deseret News article about the 70’s who signed this letter was linked on Mormons Building Bridges FB page. They warned their triggered readers NOT to read the comments following the article as they are full of angry Mormons who disagree with joining this interfaith coalition.

So that’s some good news. We aren’t the only ones trying to hang on to traditional marriage and family values.