Melchizedek Priesthood at the Morley Farm

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
guardian
captain of 10

Melchizedek Priesthood at the Morley Farm

Post by guardian »

Joseph Smith wrote, “On the 3rd of June, the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood was manifested and conferred for the first time upon several of the Elders. It was clearly evident that the Lord gave us power in proportion to the work to be done.” (History of the Church, Vol.1, p.175).

Joseph ordained certain elders to the High Priesthood on this occasion. When was he ordained to this Priesthood previously? Is this the basis for his authority to do this, or did God simply command it at this time?

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Re: Melchizedek Priesthood at the Morley Farm

Post by Shawn Henry »

"Here for the first time, I saw the Melchizedek Preisthood introduced into the church of Jesus Christ as a anciently." Lyman Wight

"The Melchizedek Preisthood was then for the first time introduced and conferred on several of the elders." John Corrill

"This was the first occasion in which this piresthood had been revealed and conferred upon the Elders in this dispensation, although the office of an Elder is the same in a certain degree, but not in the fulness." Parley Pratt

The English doesn't get plainer than that, though it doesn't fit our narrative, does it?

Lyman Wight was the first in this dispensation to receive the MP, he then conferred upon JS and many others the MP.

According to the D&C, Apostles are Elders and the office of Elder is an appendage to the MP, just as the Aaronic priesthood is an appendage to the MP. Therefore, an Apostle is an appendage to the MP and below it. A High Preist is above them all and is the first office in the MP.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

According to Watcher, the men were ordained High Priests by the “voice of God,” ordained physically mostly by Lyman Wight. Joseph ordained Lyman who then ordained Joseph. Here is something found in one of his posts:
Here is the testimony of Joseph Smith-

“…the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood was manifested and conferred for the first time upon several of the Elders. It was clearly evident that the Lord gave us power in proportion to the work to be done, and strength according to the race set before us, and grace and help as our needs required.” History of The Church, 1:175-177

Here is the Testimony of Lyman Wight

On the 4th of June 1831, a conference was held at Kirtland, <Ohio> represented by all the above [named] branches; Joseph Smith our modern Prophet presided; and here I again saw the visible manifestations of the power of God as plain as could have been on the day of [Pentecost] and here for the first time I saw the Melchizedec priesthood introduced into the church of Jesus Christ as anciently;

whereunto I was ordained under the hands of Joseph Smith, and I then [ordained] Joseph and Sidney and sixteen others such as he chose unto the same priesthood. The spirit of God was made manifest to the heeling of the sick, cast<ing> out devils, speaking in unknown tongues, discerning of spirits, and prophesying [6] with mighty power, After the two days the conference broke up receiving the revelation which appointed 28 elders their Mission to Missouri

Here is the Testimony of John Corrill

… there was a revelation received, requiring the prophet to call the elders together, that they might receive an endowment. This was done, and the meeting took place some time in June.

About fifty elders met, which was about all the elders that then belonged to the church. The meeting was conducted by Smith. Some curious things took place. The same visionary and marvellous spirits spoken of before, got hold of some of the elders; it threw one from his seat to the floor; it bound another, so that for some time he could not use his limbs nor speak; and some other curious effects were experienced, but, by a mighty exertion, in the name of the Lord, it was exposed and shown to be from an evil source.

The Melchizedek priesthood was then for the first time introduced, and conferred on several of the elders. In this chiefly consisted the endowment—it being a new order—and bestowed authority. However, some doubting took place among the elders, and considerable conversation was held on the subject. The elders not fairly understanding the nature of the endowments, it took some time to reconcile all their feelings.

Here is the testimony of Parley P. Pratt

“On the sixth of June, 1831, a general conference was convened at Kirtland, consisting of all the Elders, far and near, who could be got together. In this conference much instruction was given by President Smith, who spake in great power, as he was moved by the Holy Ghost; and the spirit of power and of testimony rested down upon the Elders in a marvelous manner. Here also were some strange manifestations of false spirits, which were immediately rebuked

Several were then selected by revelation, through President Smith, and ordained to the High Priesthood after the order of the Son of God; which is after the order of Melchizedek.

This was the first occasion in which this priesthood had been revealed and conferred upon the Elders in this dispensation..”
The real question to me is, why wasn’t I taught about this event in any church meeting I ever attended?

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

https://onewhoiswatching.wordpress.com/ ... storation/
This is the first post of 6 or 7 regarding the conference at the Morley farm in 1831.