Recent Observations about media consumption

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Recent Observations about media consumption

Post by Lemarque »

My wife and I were talking the other day about how far away we seem to be from some of our siblings, especially ones we used to be really close to. As we thought about it, we realized something about the siblings we have the hardest time connecting with.

Starting with my side of the family:

TL:DR, I am able to have reasonable conversations with all of my siblings, even if I disagree with them, except for my sister who is way more into social media than anyone else in my family.

I am a data/information nerd. Even prior to Covid I would find and share random things with my family that I found interesting. At one point in 2019 I put together a document that I was going to share with my parents and siblings about secret combinations in the modern day, with a focus on 9/11. So when Covid started and I saw with the data that something was off with how it was being reported and what was actually going on, I thought to myself, "What a perfect opportunity to show in real time how they use lies to gain control!"

Unfortunately I overestimated how much my family would accept that anyone in the government would willingly lie. Overall, my parents and siblings thought that what I was sharing was interesting, and some of them even thanked me for what I shared, but I think at most it made them just feel less scared of covid overall.

Except with one sister. This sister in July 2021, when vaccine failure was obvious in Israel, said something to the effect of, "Fauci said the vaccines work, and that's good enough for me." Outside of the family group message she even sent me a couple messages along the lines of, "So you're just okay with letting people die?"

The thing that is significantly different between my sister and the rest of my family is Facebook. Of my 5 siblings, 3 have a Facebook account. Two of those hardly use it, and one only got it after their mission, mainly to keep in touch with people from their mission. This one sister, on the other hand, has over 800 friends and has been on Facebook basically since it first came out.

My wife's side of the family:

TL:DR, The siblings who watch the most 'current' TV shows are hard to talk to about anything, the siblings that don't are way more friendly.

My wife is 1 of 10 kids, (8 daughters and 2 sons). It is the same with her family. She has two siblings that are very much into all media, not just social media. One of them even has a "top commenter" tag or something like that on Facebook. Those two siblings, it is impossible to have a discussion with them about anything that doesn't support the current narrative. And if I ranked them all by the amount of media they consume, it lines up perfectly with how easy it is to discuss anything (not just politics or current events) with them. The ones who have watched all of Stranger Things and get in arguments about how good the recent Star Wars shows, are the ones who wore masks while walking around outside.

Have any of you noticed something similar, in people you know well? It's like they live in a different reality.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Recent Observations about media consumption

Post by Chip »

I have thought for years now that anyone who didn't already stop watching TV fifteen years ago will not be able to see through the delusion.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Recent Observations about media consumption

Post by EmmaLee »

Yes, this is just further evidence that social media, and all mainstream media (TV, streaming, cable, news, etc.) are doing their intended job, and are a great success for the PTB.