Which apostles do you think have the best chance to become presidents of the church right now?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Qlitewski
captain of 10

Which apostles do you think have the best chance to become presidents of the church right now?

Post by Qlitewski »

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: Which apostles do you think have the best chance to become presidents of the church right now?

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

It's whoever is the most senior living apostle... Which I have a difficult time finding in the scriptures as to why this is the case.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220904-103629.png
Screenshot_20220904-103629.png (264.44 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Re: Which apostles do you think have the best chance to become presidents of the church right now?

Post by zionssuburb »

Oaks, Holland and Bednar... Statistically it's basically age (at time of call) vs age (at time of call) of the apostle ahead of you.... Although Holland is looking pretty worn out these days.

http://threestory.com/apostles/
Last edited by zionssuburb on September 4th, 2022, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:31 am It's whoever is the most senior living apostle... Which I have a difficult time finding in the scriptures as to why this is the case.
The D&C clearly says that the First Presidency is to be made up of High Priests and not Apostles.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Bednar. Appointed relatively young.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:31 am It's whoever is the most senior living apostle... Which I have a difficult time finding in the scriptures as to why this is the case.
I think it was chosen after Brigham because they basically didn't want another succession crisis.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Niemand wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:43 am
I think it was chosen after Brigham because they basically didn't want another succession crisis.
Oh, so they were worried the Lord wouldn't make it known to them?

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

zionssuburb wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:38 am Oaks, Holland and Bednar... Statistically it's basically age (at time of call) vs age (at time of call) of the apostle ahead of you.... Although Holland is looking pretty worn out these days.

http://threestory.com/apostles/
It’s nothing to do with the age of the Apostle. It’s to do with when you were ordained as an Apostle.

The only time age comes into it is if you have two Apostles ordained at the same time - then the oldest is senior.

RMN and DHO were both ordained on the same day - RMN is the oldest - RMN is the President of the Church ahead of Dallin H Oaks

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

So unless death takes them out first - the current list is:

Dallin H Oaks
M Russell Ballard
Jeffrey R Holland
Henry B Eyring
Dieter F Uchtdorf
David A Bednar
Quentin L Cook
D Todd Christofferson
Neil L Andersen
Ronald A Rasband
Gary E Stephenson
Dale G Renlund
Gerrit W Gong
Ulisses Soares

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BenMcCrea wrote: September 4th, 2022, 11:22 am So unless death takes them out first - the current list is:

Dallin H Oaks
M Russell Ballard
Jeffrey R Holland
Henry B Eyring
Dieter F Uchtdorf
David A Bednar
Quentin L Cook
D Todd Christofferson
Neil L Andersen
Ronald A Rasband
Gary E Stephenson
Dale G Renlund
Gerrit W Gong
Ulisses Soares
Citation needed (scripture)

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Luke wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:38 am
The D&C clearly says that the First Presidency is to be made up of High Priests and not Apostles.
They can be both Apostles and High Priests - D&C 84 states that.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

BenMcCrea wrote: September 4th, 2022, 11:22 am So unless death takes them out first - the current list is:

Dallin H Oaks
M Russell Ballard
Jeffrey R Holland
Henry B Eyring
Dieter F Uchtdorf
David A Bednar
Quentin L Cook
D Todd Christofferson
Neil L Andersen
Ronald A Rasband
Gary E Stephenson
Dale G Renlund
Gerrit W Gong
Ulisses Soares
Oaks, Holland, Bednar.
Unless Holland passes suddenly before Oaks.
At this point Bednar is a given.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

BenMcCrea wrote: September 4th, 2022, 11:10 am It’s nothing to do with the age of the Apostle. It’s to do with when you were ordained as an Apostle.
I think what was meant was, if you are ordained at a late age, you are almost guaranteed to not make it to the top because it takes a good 30 or 40 years.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Qlitewski wrote: September 4th, 2022, 9:00 am Which apostles do you think have the best chance to become presidents of the church right now?
Hopefully, none of them.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

JLHPROF wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:07 pm They can be both Apostles and High Priests - D&C 84 states that.
84 doesn't say anything about the First Presidency, but the Lord does name Joseph and six others as both apostles and high priests.

"And as I said unto mine apostles, even so I say unto you, for you are mine apostles, even God’s high priests; ye are they whom my Father hath given me; ye are my friends;"

The church had apostles, however, before they got the Melchizidek Priesthood at the Morley Farm in 1831. Once they received the MP, these apostles had the opportunity for a higher ordination and became High Priests.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It does, and it is.
When a man is ordained an apostle his previous high priest ordination isn't nullified.
I expect the current FP are deacons, teachers, priests, bishops, elders, high priests, apostles...

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

JLHPROF wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:07 pm
They can be both Apostles and High Priests - D&C 84 states that.
How on earth does it state that?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

That's because it has nothing to do with God or the scriptures. Look to the by-laws of the Corporation, and there you will find the design whereby the most senior living member of the Twelve becomes the next President of the Corporation, or Corporate Sole (which some people still think is a church). It is a legal, corporate matter - again, nothing to do with revelation, etc.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Robin Hood wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:50 pm
It does, and it is.
When a man is ordained an apostle his previous high priest ordination isn't nullified.
I expect the current FP are deacons, teachers, priests, bishops, elders, high priests, apostles...
Apostle is lower than High Priest though.

Apostles were in the Church since 6 April 1830, but the first High Priest was ordained on 3 June 1831.

Obviously the Church has more than likely ordained them High Priests beforehand, but this is clearly out of order.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Whoever can knock off everyone ahead of him. :)

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Luke wrote: September 4th, 2022, 2:24 pm Apostle is lower than High Priest though.

Apostles were in the Church since 6 April 1830, but the first High Priest was ordained on 3 June 1831.
I thought your Nauvoo studies had cured you of this.
The Apostleship has degrees to it.
The full Apostleship is connected to being a Patriarch, a King and Priest, and holding sealing keys.
Seventies can be Apostles, Elders can be Apostles, and High Priests can be Apostles. So again the FP can be both HP AND Apostles. Not an either/or.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

JLHPROF wrote: September 4th, 2022, 5:02 pm
Luke wrote: September 4th, 2022, 2:24 pm Apostle is lower than High Priest though.

I thought your Nauvoo studies had cured you of this.
The Apostleship has degrees to it.
The full Apostleship is connected to being a Patriarch, a King and Priest, and holding sealing keys.
Seventies can be Apostles, Elders can be Apostles, and High Priests can be Apostles. So again the FP can be both HP AND Apostles. Not an either/or.
The terms “Apostle” and “Apostleship” are just messy concepts. Those terms were either used to signify the calling of Apostle (tied to the office of Elder) and as a substitute for the word Priesthood. I.e. “Apostleship” meant “Priesthood”.

Clearly the way Apostle is being spoken of here has nothing to do with anything in Nauvoo.

“An Apostle is an Elder” as per D&C 20. Also see JS in 1843 saying that a King and Priest is above Apostles and Patriarchs.

A High Priest is automatically an Apostle as he holds all the lesser authority underneath that office, which thus includes the calling of Apostle.

CMajor
captain of 100

Post by CMajor »

I'd say none of those receiving a salary from the church, if up to the Lord to appoint, rather than who is the most senior Apostle.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

EmmaLee wrote: September 4th, 2022, 2:23 pm
That's because it has nothing to do with God or the scriptures. Look to the by-laws of the Corporation, and there you will find the design whereby the most senior living member of the Twelve becomes the next President of the Corporation, or Corporate Sole (which some people still think is a church). It is a legal, corporate matter - again, nothing to do with revelation, etc.
They will argue that it was revelation to set up a corporation to oversee the church to set up the Lord’s kingdom on the earth when the earthly government is overthrown. ;)