Salt Lake Temple Rebuild

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Salt Lake Temple Rebuild

Post by Lizzy60 »

What do y’all think the Salt Lake Temple will look like when the renovation is complete?

Personally, I’m sticking with my prediction from the day the retrofitting for earthquakes was announced. I don’t believe we will see it finished. It will be destroyed by an earthquake as divine justice for “steadying the ark”.

There are current photos in the post:

http://barerecord.blogspot.com/

If someone can move the photos to this thread, my most sincere gratitude for your superior computer skills!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Salt Lake Temple Rebuild

Post by Silver Pie »

I'm in the camp of "it won't be finished" and "it will probably be demolished by an earthquake before it's finished".

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

First paragraph from the link in the op -
The Salt Lake Temple Renovation and Restoration Project began almost 3 years ago starting in 2019. President Nelson originally announced that the project would be complete in early 2024. I think the construction crews have faced a lot of problems and setbacks. The project is now set to be completed in the year 2025. Every time I go down to see the latest developments, the current state of the Salt Lake Temple is always shocking to me. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if more damage is being done to the Temple than what an actual earthquake would have done. The spires have now been removed. All of the exterior ornamental granite details have also been removed. All the pioneer era murals on the interior have been destroyed. The Temple has been gutted not only in the inside but the outside as well. It looks like a hollow shell.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

QUICK TIMELINE:

April 19, 2019
Salt Lake Temple Renovation Plans Unveiled. President Russell M. Nelson announced at a news conference on April 19, 2019, that the Salt Lake Temple will close on December 29, 2019, for approximately four years for a major renovation and restoration project including improvements to the surrounding grounds and facilities. The temple is expected to reopen in 2024

March 18, 2020
Salt Lake Temple's Moroni Loses Grasp on Trumpet During Earthquake

April 2, 2020
Exterior Stone and Granite Details removed

July 29,2020
Contents of the Salt Lake Temple Time Capsule were opened exposing the capsule's severely water-damaged content
March 12, 2021
The First Presidency has announced significant alterations to the original plans for the interior of the Salt Lake Temple. The live-acting, progressive presentation of the endowment from room to room will be replaced by video presentation in single room. The historic murals of the temple have been carefully photographed and removed but will not return.

June 10, 2021
The North Visitors’ Center on Temple Square will be demolished.

July 16, 2021
Iconic Christus Statue Removed from the North Visitors' Center

December 13, 2021
First Presidency Statement on the Salt Lake Temple Renovation It is anticipated that the temple and its surroundings will be completed in 2025.

May 13, 2022
Salt Lake Temple Reflecting Pool Removed

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Thanks for sharing those temple pics!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I don't think God is a micro manager.

I also don't know that God is a punishing God.

I do think there is a final accounting, some day.

I also know that Utah is not earthquake country.

I have heard that lightening strikes every second of every day, somewhere on earth. So you are dealing with chances. Like running into deer. Just trying to occupy the same space as your car.

I also know that a lot of people in Utah feel left out, that California and other places get all the earthquakes, and Utah never gets their 'share'.

But I don't think it works that way.

How it does work, I don't know. And I may never know.
dc

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

David13 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm I also know that Utah is not earthquake country.
Unless I'm mistaken, Utah is earthquake country. The Wasatch fault ran 30 feet from where I used to live in Utah and I've heard that it's capable of at least an 8 and it's decades overdue. I don't think an eight would be a good thing with Utah's geology. It seems like there are too many homes built on sand and gravel and too many steep, rocky mountains ready to slide onto things. Maybe you've heard different?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The USA has a horrible record on preserving historic buildings. It's bad enough in other countries - worse maybe in somewhere like China - but considering the western states have very few old non-native buildings, you'd think more would be done to look after them and protect them.

Salt Lake Temple is clearly the heart of the city. I've never visited in person, and have often seen official photos of the place. It has never been my favourite LDS temple, but it is important and a pilgrimage site for many members. However, when I have seen photographs from the side and rear, one of the things that shocks me as an Old Worlder is the way that high rise construction has been allowed so near the temple. It should dominate the area it is in, not be dwarfed by ugly and undistinguished high rise buildings right on top of it.

The LDS itself set a bad precedent with that hideous Church Office Building which looks like something out of the Khrushchev era Soviet Union. Whoever allowed that to be built was a complete philistine as are many of the people "restoring" the building just now.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Silver Pie wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:26 pm
Every time I go down to see the latest developments, the current state of the Salt Lake Temple is always shocking to me. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if more damage is being done to the Temple than what an actual earthquake would have done. The spires have now been removed. All of the exterior ornamental granite details have also been removed. All the pioneer era murals on the interior have been destroyed. The Temple has been gutted not only in the inside but the outside as well. It looks like a hollow shell.
Just terribly sad. Nelson et al. are destroying everything good left in the LDS Church.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Luke wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:13 am
Every time I go down to see the latest developments, the current state of the Salt Lake Temple is always shocking to me. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if more damage is being done to the Temple than what an actual earthquake would have done. The spires have now been removed. All of the exterior ornamental granite details have also been removed. All the pioneer era murals on the interior have been destroyed. The Temple has been gutted not only in the inside but the outside as well. It looks like a hollow shell.
Just terribly sad. Nelson et al. are destroying everything good left in the LDS Church.
I used to have a non-LDS friend who would give me lifts around the place and he'd complain about how bland our chapels are and how most of them looked the same. That's a non-member, so others notice this kind of thing. I think it started with correlation decades ago - standardising everything. Nelson is old enough to have been there when that started and he's extended it to the temples... destroying the murals in the old American temples was one of the most terrible things he could have done. And for what? Blank walls and a TV screen. If I ever made it to Utah (unlikely these days), I would have likely visited these temples just to see that. But why would I do that now? It's the Mormon equivalent of repainting the Cistine Chapel roof with Disney cartoons.

I remember when being LDS used to be a kind of tribal identity. I have no pioneers in my ancestry, and I'm a convert but I could look back to that in some ways, and there was even a kind of Mormon cultural identity within the UK. You'll know what I'm talking about. You only have to go back five years to find one. Now it feels like we have nothing, except a temple you have to book into, and a few old scriptures.

I wonder if RMN has some kind of autism or OCD. I've nothing against those groups in general (no offence to anyone here with either of them). It would explain his continual tinkering and alteration of things which don't need to be touched. The SLC temple probably did need some renovation (Restoration- no pun intended?), but not to be gutted like this. We get Danish Christus everywhere but our own heritage destroyed.

I can't express how much disgust I have for all this. Not only as a Mormon, but someone with some appreciation for cultural and artistic endeavours.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

That's quite a great and spacious building.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Silver Pie wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:26 pm First paragraph from the link in the op -
The Salt Lake Temple Renovation and Restoration Project began almost 3 years ago starting in 2019. President Nelson originally announced that the project would be complete in early 2024. I think the construction crews have faced a lot of problems and setbacks. The project is now set to be completed in the year 2025. Every time I go down to see the latest developments, the current state of the Salt Lake Temple is always shocking to me. This is just my opinion but I am wondering if more damage is being done to the Temple than what an actual earthquake would have done. The spires have now been removed. All of the exterior ornamental granite details have also been removed. All the pioneer era murals on the interior have been destroyed. The Temple has been gutted not only in the inside but the outside as well. It looks like a hollow shell.
If all this isn’t symbolic, I don’t know what is. Maybe much like the trumpet falling? It’s like the early days of building Zion (restoration project). At first, progress, then delay, then fundamentally worn away…then destroyed. Yes, this temple will go down in an earthquake eventually. It’s not for “steadying the ark”, though. They’re the legit ark-holders. It’s just that God is taking it away from them.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Lizzy60 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:04 pm What do y’all think the Salt Lake Temple will look like when the renovation is complete?

Personally, I’m sticking with my prediction from the day the retrofitting for earthquakes was announced. I don’t believe we will see it finished. It will be destroyed by an earthquake as divine justice for “steadying the ark”.

There are current photos in the post:

http://barerecord.blogspot.com/

If someone can move the photos to this thread, my most sincere gratitude for your superior computer skills!
what a nice post that I don't have time to read it all but

I appreciate the tact that these writers use as they warn us of our foolish leaders. . . .most of the temples on the wasatch were purchased by rich men and women. . . few tithing funds

these buildings keep the families of general authorities going in their contractor businesses . . .sorry not a lot of tact

The other thing that kina is rude of me but I like is that many words missing and typoos in these article that are worded so distinctly a
to cause the spirit to be stirred in me

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Niemand wrote: August 27th, 2022, 12:33 am The USA has a horrible record on preserving historic buildings. It's bad enough in other countries - worse maybe in somewhere like China - but considering the western states have very few old non-native buildings, you'd think more would be done to look after them and protect them.

Salt Lake Temple is clearly the heart of the city. I've never visited in person, and have often seen official photos of the place. It has never been my favourite LDS temple, but it is important and a pilgrimage site for many members. However, when I have seen photographs from the side and rear, one of the things that shocks me as an Old Worlder is the way that high rise construction has been allowed so near the temple. It should dominate the area it is in, not be dwarfed by ugly and undistinguished high rise buildings right on top of it.

The LDS itself set a bad precedent with that hideous Church Office Building which looks like something out of the Khrushchev era Soviet Union. Whoever allowed that to be built was a complete philistine as are many of the people "restoring" the building just now.

well some of our buildings were tore down by wicked men

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Atrasado wrote: August 27th, 2022, 12:08 am
David13 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm I also know that Utah is not earthquake country.
Unless I'm mistaken, Utah is earthquake country. The Wasatch fault ran 30 feet from where I used to live in Utah and I've heard that it's capable of at least an 8 and it's decades overdue. I don't think an eight would be a good thing with Utah's geology. It seems like there are too many homes built on sand and gravel and too many steep, rocky mountains ready to slide onto things. Maybe you've heard different?
I just snickered when he said that. Utah is screwed when Mother Earth wakes up. That place is fault central.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

We were there in August 2019, just before this destruction started. I'm glad we got to see the temple in its original form one last time before Nelson essentially destroyed it. I also don't think it will ever be 'finished'; it wouldn't surprise me if it never reopens. Some of my ancestors helped build the original. The whole thing is just sad, IMO.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

EmmaLee wrote: August 27th, 2022, 8:44 am We were there in August 2019, just before this destruction started. I'm glad we got to see the temple in its original form one last time before Nelson essentially destroyed it. I also don't think it will ever be 'finished'; it wouldn't surprise me if it never reopens. Some of my ancestors helped build the original. The whole thing is just sad, IMO.

I too was fortunately able to get in just (2 weeks) before they started the "cultural revolution" or whatever they want to call this destruction of heritage and see the Temple (more or less) in it's historic form.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Niemand wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:38 am
Luke wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:13 am
I used to have a non-LDS friend who would give me lifts around the place and he'd complain about how bland our chapels are and how most of them looked the same. That's a non-member, so others notice this kind of thing. I think it started with correlation decades ago - standardising everything. Nelson is old enough to have been there when that started and he's extended it to the temples... destroying the murals in the old American temples was one of the most terrible things he could have done. And for what? Blank walls and a TV screen. If I ever made it to Utah (unlikely these days), I would have likely visited these temples just to see that. But why would I do that now? It's the Mormon equivalent of repainting the Cistine Chapel roof with Disney cartoons.

I remember when being LDS used to be a kind of tribal identity. I have no pioneers in my ancestry, and I'm a convert but I could look back to that in some ways, and there was even a kind of Mormon cultural identity within the UK. You'll know what I'm talking about. You only have to go back five years to find one. Now it feels like we have nothing, except a temple you have to book into, and a few old scriptures.

I wonder if RMN has some kind of autism or OCD. I've nothing against those groups in general (no offence to anyone here with either of them). It would explain his continual tinkering and alteration of things which don't need to be touched. The SLC temple probably did need some renovation (Restoration- no pun intended?), but not to be gutted like this. We get Danish Christus everywhere but our own heritage destroyed.

I can't express how much disgust I have for all this. Not only as a Mormon, but someone with some appreciation for cultural and artistic endeavours.

I certainly agree with you on this.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Niemand wrote: August 27th, 2022, 12:33 am The USA has a horrible record on preserving historic buildings. It's bad enough in other countries - worse maybe in somewhere like China - but considering the western states have very few old non-native buildings, you'd think more would be done to look after them and protect them.

The problem here is that unlike China or countries where the King or Queen runs and dictates everything, there is this weird concept in the US of A called freedom. And that includes buying land and building those monstrous sky scrapers, that yes, many of which have the Soviet era austerity look to them.

And if you can afford it, most closely to the Temple to try to make your business or building look Saintly, I guess.

So those high rises pop up like popcorn.

If you look at many a beautiful landscape over a period of years, you will see the tract houses, all alike and extremely close together, cookie cutter style pop up like pop corn. There goes your beautiful natural view.

But remember, this is nothing but a clear and predictable result of .... having as many children as possible. 5 or 10 children for each family (Mormon style?) means one simple thing. Greatly increasing population. And what do they need? Business and services (big buildings), and ... tract houses. Wall to wall and cookie cutter style. No, not all of them can afford unique McMansions high on the top of an isolated hill, which soon has thousands of other McMansions on every other hilltop.

No we don't have the "Urban Planning" that some countries have, nor the "5 Year Plan".

What do you think the Chinese government would have done with Salt Lake City if it was theirs? What would they have done with the church?
dc

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

David13 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm I don't think God is a micro manager.

I also don't know that God is a punishing God.

I do think there is a final accounting, some day.

I have heard that lightening strikes every second of every day, somewhere on earth. So you are dealing with chances. Like running into deer. Just trying to occupy the same space as your car.

I also know that a lot of people in Utah feel left out, that California and other places get all the earthquakes, and Utah never gets their 'share'.

But I don't think it works that way.

How it does work, I don't know. And I may never know.
dc
In 1962, there was an earthquake in Richmond, Utah, Cache County, centered in the cemetery. Both LDS Churches were completely destroyed. We had church services in the movie theater for a couple years. Many of my friend's homes were destroyed.
1962before.gif
1962before.gif (150.85 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
1962after.gif
1962after.gif (146.18 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

David13 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm
. . .
They may not get a ton, but they get them. The first time I experienced one in Salt Lake was when I was ~17 years of age. I'd lived in Salt Lake since I was 7. My mom and I lived in a trailer. It started swaying. I ran out to the tiny porch to see what was happening, thinking there might be wind. No wind, but not only was the trailer swaying, so was the tree next to our driveway. My brother and his wife said their kitchen stove danced out from its place. My sister and her husband said all they experienced was their chandelier swaying a little bit. All of us in Salt Lake, but in different parts.

I think the epicenter was around Bear Lake.

A few years later, in Salt Lake, I was working as a live-in with an ms client. We lived on the 8th floor. In the middle of the night, I was awakened by the building swaying (it was around 12-14 floors, I think). I jumped up and ran into the woman's room. She was also frightened (she had no ability to get out of bed).

I felt them in Washington, Utah (next door to St. George) during the last 8 years. One time, I thought one of my kids was slamming a door, and finally realized it was an earthquake. They used to never be in that area.

So, while Utah doesn't get the magnitude of earthquakes (yet) that California does, it does get them, and they seem to be stronger and more often. And Moroni's trumpet being knocked out of his hand is evidence of that.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Atrasado wrote: August 27th, 2022, 12:08 am
Absolutely! I've known of the Wasatch fault since grade school, most likely. A big earthquake just waiting to destroy.