What would you say…?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

What would you say…?

Post by Jonesy »

What would you say if you were told that all we need to do is be in line with the “[unspecified] standards of the church”?
Last edited by Jonesy on August 21st, 2022, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What would you say…?

Post by LDS Watchman »

Jonesy wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:06 pm What would you say if you were told that all we need to do is be in line with the “standards of the church”?
The minimum standards?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

What standards are we talking about?

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Atticus wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:39 pm
Jonesy wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:06 pm What would you say if you were told that all we need to do is be in line with the “standards of the church”?
The minimum standards?
Unspecified…but, sure, let’s say that for sake of discussion. What is the maximum standard of the church?

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Jonesy wrote: August 21st, 2022, 12:03 am
Atticus wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:39 pm
The minimum standards?
Unspecified…but, sure, let’s say that for sake of discussion. What is the maximum standard of the church?
I don’t know that there is one.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Jonesy wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:06 pm What would you say if you were told that all we need to do is be in line with the “[unspecified] standards of the church”?
All we need to do is come unto Christ, be perfected in Him, deny (myself) all ungodliness . -for starters---that's what I would say

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Jonesy wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:06 pm What would you say if you were told that all we need to do is be in line with the “[unspecified] standards of the church”?
I would say somebody is gaslighting.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Told by who?

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

nightlight wrote: August 21st, 2022, 11:31 am
Told by who?
By the gospel doctrine teacher. It was part of his closing comments. Like some here, I was left wondering what that even means. It’s been a while since I’ve attended church, but to be honest, I enjoy going now more than ever. I feel encouraged more to change/repent myself—more so because when I go, I’m concerned by the lack of discussion of anything of substance and it forces me to self reflect and change myself.

In this same lesson, the same guy made a comment that he grew up in a rural area where he never knew of anyone who got divorced. Then when a family finally did move in under those circumstances, he had to be taught that it’s ok if some males don’t wear white shirts because he later found out that they were too poor to buy them. I was the only male not wearing a white shirt in the class. I stuck out pretty well in a dark blue polo. Now it’s just going to be fun attending. I actually feel more emboldened to comment now. I’ve made comments in the past where I really felt the Spirit, and I’m inclined to make more concentrated efforts to continue to do so. I just have to make sure I’m not overbearing and align my actions to what I know to be true. Should be good.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I’d say, “Only according to someone who’s false god is the church.”

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

It all depends. It seems often (most times) when someone in leadership says some things, I already agree and cannot argue as I already know it is true (morality, honor, frugality, independence, etc....). Other times I don't see it their way. Then I pray about it. If I am inclined and the spirit says anything at all, I will accept it. If it is something I disagree with then I will nee an abundance of the spirit to change my mind (likely my weakness like many on this forum).

So, it seems true comprehension takes energy and time and effort, while either dismissing something because you've lost faith in the leader(s) or just accepting it because of their title is much easier. Interesting that we have all three positions on this forum. Most are in the middle, often the silent majority I think anyway.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I went to church again today. I was content with staying quiet and just listening but I couldn’t help myself. I felt my words I spoke validated by the Spirit. I guess I won’t be quiet anymore. I’m terrible at speaking out, but I feel I’m more able to get my words across with clarity. Whatever is in my heart to say, I’m going to say it! See how it goes…