Prophecies with deadlines. Amazing revelation from the Prophet Joseph and those around him.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Prophecies with deadlines. Amazing revelation from the Prophet Joseph and those around him.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

This thread will be long, and will take some time, yet it will contain only a small portion of the following types of latter day prophesy as so many were made, and some made will have been lost or tucked away in an old journal, or never recorded. It won't be boring. Many of these were of life or death importance to know and understand. The following is a well written paragraph by fairlatterdaysaints.org..

Prophecies with deadlines that need fulfillment are in many ways a dangerous undertaking, especially when those deadlines are numerical. However, Joseph did not waiver in making them when the time was necessary.

I will begin to list them this week. Put some up if you've got 'em. I will share many. ;)

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Re: Prophecies with deadlines. Amazing revelation from the Prophet Joseph and those around him.

Post by cab »

D&C 124:32-45

Here’s a prophesy with a deadline and the benefit of hindsight.

Was the deadline met or not?

hedgehog
captain of 100

Re: Prophecies with deadlines. Amazing revelation from the Prophet Joseph and those around him.

Post by hedgehog »

In one of Truman Madsen series he mentions a prophecy that in the last days only Latter Day Saint women would be having children.

That single offhand remark has pricked at my mind many times over the years. I ask myself if pieces in movement could create such a scenario. Any student of China or even fan of sci-fi is familiar with the idea that any children over 1 are punished by varying degrees from taxes or jail to forced abortions by governments. *note* China was forced abortions.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

hedgehog wrote: August 16th, 2022, 11:22 pm In one of Truman Madsen series he mentions a prophecy that in the last days only Latter Day Saint women would be having children.

That single offhand remark has pricked at my mind many times over the years. I ask myself if pieces in movement could create such a scenario. Any student of China or even fan of sci-fi is familiar with the idea that any children over 1 are punished by varying degrees from taxes or jail to forced abortions by governments. *note* China was forced abortions.
That is the quote attributed to Lily Freeze. I think that would take place in the last few years of tribulation just before the Lord returns.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

cab wrote: August 16th, 2022, 11:04 pm D&C 124:32-45

Yes it was. Here is one of thousands of experiences relating to Temples and latter day work for the dead.
“I remember one day in the Temple at Manti, a brother from Mount Pleasant rode down to the temple to take part in the work, and as he passed the cemetery in Ephraim, he looked ahead (it was early in the morning), and there was a large multitude all dressed in white, and he wondered how that could be. Why should there be so many up here; it was too early for a funeral, he thought; but he drove up and several of them stepped out in front of him and they talked to him. They said, `Are you going to the temple?’ `Yes.’ `Well, these that you see here are your relatives and they want you to do work for them.’ `Yes,’ he said, `but I am going down today to finish my work. I have no more names and I do not know the names of those who you say are related to me.’ `But when you go down to the temple today you will find there are records that give our names.’ He was surprised. He looked until they all disappeared, and drove on. As he came into the temple, Recorder Farnsworth came up to him and said, `I have just received records from England and they all belong to you.’ And there were hundreds of names that had just arrived, and what was told him by these persons that he saw was fulfilled. You can imagine what joy came to his heart, and what a testimony it was to him that the Lord wants this work done.” Temple President Anthon H. Lund, Lundwall, Temples of the Most High, 120.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

In April conference of 1916, Elder James E Talmage, a member of the Quorum of the twelve, spoke of the lost tribes and their records: "There is a tendency among men to explain away what they don't wish to understand in literal simplicity, and we, as Latter Day Saints are not entirely free from the taint of that tendency . . . Some people say that prediction is to be explained in this way: A gathering is in progress, and has been in progress from the early days of this Church; and thus the "Lost Tribes" are now being gathered; but that we are not to look for the return of any body of people now unknown as to their whereabouts. True, the gathering is in progress, this is a gathering dispensation; but the prophecy stands that the tribes shall be brought forth from their hiding place . . . (and their)scriptures shall become one with the scriptures of the Jews, the Holy Bible, and with the scriptures of the Nephites, the Book of Mormon and with the scriptures of the Latterday Saints as embodied in volumes of modern revelation." (In Conference Report Apr. 1916 p.30)

Then, in October conference Elder Talmage spoke of the lost tribes and made this remarkable prediction: "The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost into the Lord; they shall be brought forth as has been predicted, and I say unto you there are those now living---aye, some here present who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews or the Holy Bible and the record of the Nephites or Book of Mormon. (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p 76; emphasis added)

"The ten tribes will remain in the land of Zion among the tribe of Ephraim for some time", Elder Orson F. Pratt explained. "How long will they who come from the north countries tarry in the heights of Zion? Some time. they have got to raise wheat, cultivate the grape, wine and oil, raise flocks and herds, and their souls will have to become as a watered garden. They will dwell in Zion a good while, and during that time, there will be twelve thousand chosen out of each of these ten tribes, besides twelve thousand that will be chosen from Judah, Joseph and the remaining tribes, one hundred and forty four thousand in all." (see revelation7:4-8; D&C 77:11)

"Chosen for what? To be sealed in their foreheads. For what purpose? So that the power of death and pestilence and plague that will go forth in those days sweeping over the nations of the earth will have no power over them. These parties who are sealed in their foreheads will go forth among all people, nations and tongues, and gather up and hunt out the house of Israel, wherever they are scattered, and bring as many as they possibly can into the church of the first born, preparatory to the great day of the coming of the Lord. One hundred and forty four missionaries. Quite a host. All this has got to take place ." (Journal of Discourses, 18:25)

The ten tribes, however, are to eventually receive their land inheritance with Judah and not with Ephraim (see Ether 13:11) and there will come a time after they have received their priesthood blessings when they will go to Jerusalem. In that day will be fulfilled the statement to Jeremiah. "In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers." (Jerimiah 3:18)

Elder Orson Pratt stated further: "By and by, when all things are prepared--when the Jews have received their scourging, and Jesus has descended upon the Mount of Olives, the ten tribes will leave Zion, and will go to Palestine, to inherit the land that was given to their ancient fathers and it will be divided amongst the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. They will go there to dwell in peace in their own land from that time, until the earth shall pass away. But, Zion, after their departure, will still remain upon the western hemisphere, and she will be crowned with glory as well as old Jerusalem, and as the psalmist David says, she will become the joy of the whole earth. Beautiful for situation is Mount Zion on the sides if the north, the city of the great King." (In Journal of Discourse, 18:68)

poster's note ; I have wondered how long it takes for a land to blossom after a war.

about 87-86 BC

Alma 2:19 Now it came to pass that the Nephites did pursue the Amlicites all that day, and did slay them with much slaughter; insomuch that there were slain of the Amlicites twelve thousand five hundred thirty and two souls; and there were slain of the Nephites six thousand five hundred sixty and two souls.

Alma sent spies and discovered

Alma 2:24 . . . we saw a numerous host of the Lamanites; and behold the Amlicites have joined them
Alma 2:27 And behold, they were crossing the river Sidon, the Lamanites and the Amlicites, being as numerous almost, as it were the sands of the sea, came upon them to destroy them.

Alma 2:26 And in one year were thousands and tens of thousands of souls sent to the eternal world . . .

about 86-83 BC

Alma 4: 1-2 . . there were no wars or contentions in the land of Zarahemla. But the people were greatly afflicted for the loss of their brethren, and also for the loss of their flocks and herds also for the loss of their fields of grain, which were trodden under foot and destroyed by the Lamanites.

thus ended the seventh year of the reign of the judges

Alma 4:6 And it came to pass that in the eight year of the reign of the judges that the people of the church began to wax proud, because of their fine silks and fine twined linen, and because of their many flocks and herds and their gold and their silver and all manner of precious things, which they had obtained by their industry . . . .

they will dwell in Zion a good while. . . . . maybe 1 year, maybe 2 . . . didn't take the Nephites too long after war to become prosperous again . . maybe 1 year, maybe 2

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"Then, in October conference Elder Talmage spoke of the lost tribes and made this remarkable prediction: "The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost into the Lord; they shall be brought forth as has been predicted, and I say unto you there are those now living---aye, some here present who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews or the Holy Bible and the record of the Nephites or Book of Mormon. (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p 76; emphasis added)"

This doesn't do much for my faith in prophecy. Or am I missing something?

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

lundbaek wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 11:41 pm "Then, in October conference Elder Talmage spoke of the lost tribes and made this remarkable prediction: "The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost into the Lord; they shall be brought forth as has been predicted, and I say unto you there are those now living---aye, some here present who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews or the Holy Bible and the record of the Nephites or Book of Mormon. (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p 76; emphasis added)"

It will in a couple of years. There are at least a few saints still alive from 1916. They're pretty old right now, but they are here. Perhaps the time is just about here.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Like that "Rising generation" Math that has to be expanded beyond all accepted understanding to fit some technicality.

Re: Prophecy, I think we all personally have stories where we received an impression that didn't turn out how we thought. Having pondered this deeply, some reasons for this can be:

1. Original Impression was accurate but my emotions and assumptions of the who, what, why, and when caused my interpretation to be wrong. (This one has burned me A-lot!)
2. We mistook evil whispers for holy guidance.
3. Free Agency, someone involved failed a test and promises have been lost. One big example, just look at all the older siblings in early Israel like Joseph (coat of many colours) and how each of them lost or traded their Tribal birthright. Yet, I expect heaven is obligated to support birthright privileges until it has been formally lost. This could cause once proclaimed matters to not happen.
4. We are low IQ beings made of rotting hamburger that can't find our keys, Godhead being omnipotent eternal beings don't differentiate things in the ways we do. For instance, before or after death is a huge difference to us, yet to them it is more congruous and they may not parse it out according to our very narrow anxieties and priorities. What they said is true and death is just another birth.

Going through this learning process myself, I assume, is a big reason why they needed to have a school of the Prophets. Now if only we could set our ego aside and start having much more sincere discussions at Church, that could suffice for most of us. We could rise above learning everything the hard way or becoming disillusioned by our own ignorant assumptions. I guess I expect to be at least as forgiving of Church leaders as I hope my family is with me and my own limitations of interpreting revelation. Much like any Translation , spiritual guidance is often normally not an exact science, and humans are particularly prone making a mess of things.

If it was an exact science and we had Angels giving us exact directions instead of flawed prophets we would be in a state of open rebellion against God the first time we ignored one. So thank goodness for flawed leaders.

We see a lot of this apostatizing or mental gymnastics to force a statement by a church leader into the hole we need it to fit in. This is the fallout of Prophet worship. Is not compatible with the Gospel. We used to differentiate when early prophet quotes with, well did they begin it by saying "Thus sayeth the Lord?" I think that was a good system.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Well, this will be a thread of hundreds of prophesies should we all be given enough time, so let's get started. This may turn out to be large, but it can in no way be anywhere near complete.

Section 87
Revelation and prophecy on war, given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at or near Kirtland, Ohio, December 25, 1832. At this time disputes in the United States over slavery and South Carolina’s nullification of federal tariffs were prevalent. Joseph Smith’s history states that “appearances of troubles among the nations” were becoming “more visible” to the Prophet “than they had previously been since the Church began her journey out of the wilderness.”
1–4, War is foretold between the Northern States and the Southern States; 5–8, Great calamities will fall upon all the inhabitants of the earth.

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord concerning the wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls;

2 And the time will come that war will be poured out upon all nations, beginning at this place.

3 For behold, the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States, and the Southern States will call on other nations, even the nation of Great Britain, as it is called, and they shall also call upon other nations, in order to defend themselves against other nations; and then war shall be poured out upon all nations.

4 And it shall come to pass, after many days, slaves shall rise up against their masters, who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war.

5 And it shall come to pass also that the remnants who are left of the land will marshal themselves, and shall become exceedingly angry, and shall vex the Gentiles with a sore vexation.

6 And thus, with the sword and by bloodshed the inhabitants of the earth shall mourn; and with famine, and plague, and earthquake, and the thunder of heaven, and the fierce and vivid lightning also, shall the inhabitants of the earth be made to feel the wrath, and indignation, and chastening hand of an Almighty God, until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations;

7 That the cry of the saints, and of the blood of the saints, shall cease to come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, from the earth, to be avenged of their enemies.

8 Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord. Amen.

This amazing revelation was given in 1832. It was printed up and used in missionary tracts passed out in England in the 1840's. It was fulfilled to the letter. Here is an interesting quote from the Philadelphia Sunday Mercury, after the outbreak of the American Civil War.
A month following the artillery rounds fired at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, signaling the start to the Civil War, the Philadelphia Sunday Mercury remarked, "We have in our possession a pamphlet, published at Liverpool, in 1851, containing a selection from the ‘revelations, translations and narrations’ of Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism.” Citing what is now Doctrine and Covenants 87, the paper continued, “The following prophecy is here said to have been made by Smith, on the 25th of December, 1832. In view of our present troubles, this prediction seems to be in progress of fulfilment, whether Joe Smith was a humbug or not.” Though early in the war’s advancement, the paper nevertheless speculated about the prophecy, concluding, “The war began in South Carolina. Insurrections of slaves are already dreaded. Famine will certainly afflict some Southern communities. The interference of Great Britain, on account of the want of cotton, is not improbable, if the war is protracted. In the meantime, a general war in Europe appears to be imminent. Have we not had a prophet among us?'
Thought his might be of interest to L.D.S.F.F. members. Oh YES, WE HAVE HAD A PROPHET AMONG US!!!

Orson Hyde.
In May 1862, at the beginning of the Civil War, in correlation with Joseph Smith's prophecy on Civil War, Orson Hyde, the apostle who dedicated the land of Palestine for the return of the Jews, made a startling prediction which has been literally fulfilled in the next century. He stated: "You have scarcely yet read the preface of your national troubles. Many nations will be drawn into the American maelstrom that now whirls through the land; and after many days, when the demon of war shall have exhausted his strength and madness upon American soil, by the destruction of all that can court or provoke opposition, excite cupidity, inspire revenge, or feed ambition, he will remove his headquarters to the banks of the Rhine.” (Orson Hyde, Millennial Star XXIV, p 274. May 1862.)
Real revelation from the Lord,is truly breathtaking in it's scope, and can be stunning in it's clarity. Anyone can look at the Millennial Star online, and see it for themselves.As most people already know, Germany is often referred to as the "Rhineland", because of the Rhine River.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

hedgehog wrote: August 16th, 2022, 11:22 pm In one of Truman Madsen series he mentions a prophecy that in the last days only Latter Day Saint women would be having children.

I believe PR China has removed its one child policy in recent times.

Japan had no such policy but is having massive demographic issues just now and is gradually being filled with immigrants.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Niemand wrote: August 25th, 2022, 4:09 am
I’ve heard that, too. They don’t have enough young to work.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

kirtland r.m. wrote: August 17th, 2022, 5:30 pm
cab wrote: August 16th, 2022, 11:04 pm D&C 124:32-45

Yes it was. Here is one of thousands of experiences relating to Temples and latter day work for the dead.
“I remember one day in the Temple at Manti, a brother from Mount Pleasant rode down to the temple to take part in the work, and as he passed the cemetery in Ephraim, he looked ahead (it was early in the morning), and there was a large multitude all dressed in white, and he wondered how that could be. Why should there be so many up here; it was too early for a funeral, he thought; but he drove up and several of them stepped out in front of him and they talked to him. They said, `Are you going to the temple?’ `Yes.’ `Well, these that you see here are your relatives and they want you to do work for them.’ `Yes,’ he said, `but I am going down today to finish my work. I have no more names and I do not know the names of those who you say are related to me.’ `But when you go down to the temple today you will find there are records that give our names.’ He was surprised. He looked until they all disappeared, and drove on. As he came into the temple, Recorder Farnsworth came up to him and said, `I have just received records from England and they all belong to you.’ And there were hundreds of names that had just arrived, and what was told him by these persons that he saw was fulfilled. You can imagine what joy came to his heart, and what a testimony it was to him that the Lord wants this work done.” Temple President Anthon H. Lund, Lundwall, Temples of the Most High, 120.
This sounds like a "faith promoting story" to me because the church at that time was in a state of apostasy, so all ordinance work would be null and void because the priesthood had been withdrawn by that time. (D&C 124: 28; Isa 24:5; TPJS p.15)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BigT wrote: August 25th, 2022, 7:04 am
It's causing them serious problems.

Contrary to what some people say on here, some of the north east Asian countries have faced high immigration and a low birthrate. At one point the CCP were talking about bringing in a lot of cheap African labour to make up for this problem in China.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

If it was an exact science and we had Angels giving us exact directions instead of flawed prophets we would be in a state of open rebellion against God the first time we ignored one. So thank goodness for flawed leaders.
Never thought of it that way. Interesting.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

BigT wrote: August 25th, 2022, 7:04 am
Not do they have enough females of those generations - making male children the priority - to procreate.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Joseph Smith's Prophecies of The LDS Church's Rise in the Rocky Mountains
Joseph predicts that the church would move to the Intermountain West and flourish, but he would not be with them. He also mapped out the path they would end up taking.
Wilford Woodruff gave the following account: "On Sunday night (April 26, 1834) the Prophet called on all who held the Priesthood to gather into the little log school house they had there. It was a small house, perhaps 14 feet square. But it held the whole of the Priesthood of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who were then in the town of Kirtland, and who had gathered together to go off in Zion's camp. That was the first time I ever saw Oliver Cowdery, or heard him speak; the first time I ever saw Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, and the two Pratts, and Orson Hyde and many others. There were no Apostles in the Church then except Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. When we got together the Prophet called upon the Elders of Israel with him to bear testimony of this work. Those that I have named spoke, and a good many that I have not named, bore their testimonies.

"When they got through the Prophet said, 'Brethren I have been very much edified and instructed in your testimonies here tonight, but I want to say to you before the Lord, that you know no more concerning the destinies of this Church and kingdom than a babe upon its mother's lap. You don't comprehend it.'

"I was rather surprised. He said 'it is only a little handful of Priesthood you see here tonight, but this Church will fill North and South America. it will fill the world.' Among other things he said, 'it will fill the Rocky Mountains. There will be tens of thousands of Latter-day Saints who will be gathered in the Rocky Mountains, and there they will open the door for the establishing of the Gospel among the Lamanites, who will receive the Gospel and their endowments and the blessings of God. This people will go into the Rocky Mountains; they will there build temples to the Most High. They will raise up a posterity there, and the Latter-day Saints who dwell in these mountains will stand in the flesh until the coming of the Son of Man. The Son of Man will come to them while in the Rocky Mountains."

On August 6, 1842, Joseph Smith wrote: "I had a conversation with a number of brethren in the shade of the building on the subject of our persecutions in Missouri and the constant annoyance which has followed us since we were driven from that state. I prophesied that the Saints would continue to suffer much affliction and would be driven to the Rocky Mountains, many would apostatize, others would be put to death by our persecutors or lose their lives in consequence of exposure to disease, and some of you will live to go and assist in making settlements and build cities and see the Saints become a mighty people in the midst of the Rocky Mountains."

There are also recollections by other church members of Joseph mapping the path the pioneers would take to the Salt Lake Valley. For example, George H. Goddard, a Mormon Pioneer, testified that he was present in the Nauvoo Masonic Hall when Joseph Smith drew a map on the floor with a piece of chalk the Great Basin of western America, indicating the course they would follow across the plains and into the West.

Another church member, Hopkins C. Pendar, reported that "Joseph Smith just before he was killed, made a sketch of the future home of the Saints in the Rocky Mountains and their route or road to that country as he had seen [it] in vision; a map or drawing of it."

Mosiah Hancock wrote in his journal about Joseph Smith visiting his father, Levi's, home, just prior to his demise in Carthage. Mosiah writes, ". . . the Prophet came to our home and stopped in our carpenter shop and stood by the turning lathe I went and got my map for him. 'Now,' said he, 'I will show you the travels of this people.' He then showed our travels thru Iowa, and said, 'Here you will make a place for the winter; and here you will travel west until you come to the valley of the Great Salt Lake! You will build cities to the North and to the South, and to the East and to the West; and you will become a great and wealthy people in that land.'" Joseph Smith Looking Westward
Source:
Wilford Woodruff, Conference Report, April 1898, p.57
Teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith (Aug. 6, 1842.) (Millennial Star, Vol. xix., page 630)
"The Life Story of Mosiah Lyman Hancock"
E. Cecil McGavin, "Nauvoo the Beautiful" (Salt Lake City, 1946)
Hyrum L. Andrus, BYU Studies, Vol. 2, No. 2, p.141
thanks to Moroni 10 for gathering these quotes http://www.moroni10.com/mormon_history/ ... tains.html

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Some of these are fairly well known like most of the ones I am starting out with, many however will not be so widely known. Enjoy them, as I said, there will be many.

The Prophecy of Stephan Douglas

Stephan Douglas is a fascinating politician, and his story is a remarkable one. Perhaps he is most famous for the “Lincoln-Douglas debates” where he and Abraham Lincoln vied to become a Senator for the state of Illinois. In 1860 Douglas again challenged Lincoln, but this time for the presidency. Although he had an incredible sway over Congress and an impressive political record, Stephan Douglas lost miserably in that election. William Clayton, who served as the Church’s official scribe for a time, recorded the following event in his journal (which took place before Stephan Douglas had even competed with Lincoln for admittance to the Senate).

Dined with Judge Stephan A. Douglas, who is presiding at court. After dinner Judge Douglas requested President Joseph to give him a history of the Missouri persecution, which he did in a very minute manner, for about three hours. He also gave a relation of his journey to Washington city, and his application in half of the Saints to Mr. Van Buren, the President of the United States, for redress and Mr. Van Buren’s pusillanimous reply, “Gentlemen, your cause is just, but I can do nothing for you;” and the cold, unfeeling manner in which he was treated by most of the senators and representatives in relation to the subject, Clay saying “You had better go to Oregon,” and Calhaun shaking his head solemnly, saying, “It’s a nice question–a critical question, but it will not do to agitate it.”

The judge listened with the greatest attention and spoke warmly in depreciation of the conduct of Governor Boggs and the authorities of Missouri, who had taken part in the extermination, and said that any people that would do as the mobs of Missouri had done ought to be brought to judgment: they out to be punished.

President Smith, in concluding his remarks, said that if the government, which received into its coffers the money of citizens for its public lands, while its officials are rolling in luxury at the expense of its public treasury, cannot protect such citizens in their lives and property, it is an old granny anyhow; and I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left, for their wickedness in permitting the murder of men, women and children, and go unpunished, thereby perpetrating a foul and corroding blot upon the fair fame of this great republic, the very thought of which would have caused the high-minded and patriotic framers of the Constitution of the United States to hide their faces with shame. Judge, you will aspire to the presidency of the United States; and if ever you turn your hand against me or the Latter-day Saints, you will feel the weight of the hand of the Almighty upon you; and you will live to see and know that I have testified the truth to you; for the conversation of this day will stick to you through life.

He [Judge Douglas] appeared very friendly, and acknowledged the truth and propriety of President Smith’s remarks.30

The United States did, in fact, redress the wrongs committed to the Saints. Though persecution and troubles continued to follow the Saints on account of their dealings with the government, eventually they were able to find a home in Utah, and were allowed to thrive as a community. Yet, the actions of Stephan Douglas took a different turn. The fulfillment and credibility of the prophecy pronounced on Stephan Douglas is recorded by Brigham H. Roberts:

The prediction concerning Stephan A. Douglas in this chapter, is one of the most remarkable prophecies either in ancient or modern times. It was impossible for any merely human sagacity to foresee the events predicted. Stephan A. Douglas was a bright, but comparatively an unknown man, nationally, at the time of the interview, May, 1843, and but thirty years of age. It is a matter of history that Stephan A. Douglas did, however, aspire to the presidency of the United States, and was nominated for that office by the Democratic convention held in Charleston, South Carolina, on the 23rd of June, 1860.

When in the convention he was declared the regular nominee of the Democratic party, “the whole body rose to its feet, hats were waved in the air, and many tossed aloft: shouts, screams and yells, and every boisterous mode of expressing approbation and unanimity, were resorted to.”

When Mr. Douglas aspired to the presidency, no man in the history of American politics had more reason to hope for success. The political party of which he was the recognized leader, in the preceding presidential election had polled one hundred and seventy-four electoral votes as against one hundred and twenty-two east for the other two parties which opposed it: and a popular vote of 1,838,169 as against 1,215,789 votes for the two parties opposing. It is a matter of history, however, that the Democratic party in the election of 1860 was badly divided; and factions of it put candidates into the field with the following results: Mr. Abraham Lincoln, candidate for the Republican party, was triumphantly elected. He received 72 electoral votes; Mr. Bell 39; and Mr. Douglass 12. “By a plurality count of the popular vote, Mr. Lincoln carried 18 states; Mr. Brechinridge 11; Mr. Bell 3: and Mr. Douglas but one!” Twenty days less than one year after his nomination by the Charleston, while yet in the prime of manhood–forty-eight years of age–Mr. Douglas died at his home in Chicago, a disappointed, not to say heart-broken man.

Let us now search out the cause of his failure. Fourteen years after the interview containing the prophecy recorded in this chapter, and about one year after the prophecy had been published in the Deseret News, Mr. Douglas was called upon to deliver a speech in Springfield, the capital of Illinois. His speech was delivered on the 12th of June, 1857, and published in the Missouri Republican of June 18, 1857. It was a time of excitement throughout the country concerning the Mormon Church in Utah. Falsehoods upon the posting winds seemed to have filled the air with the most outrageous calumny. Crimes, the most repulsive-murders, robberies, rebellion and high treason-were falsely charged against its leaders. It was well known that Mr. Douglas had been on terms of intimate friendship with the Prophet Joseph Smith; and was well acquainted with the other Church leaders. He was therefore looked upon as one competent to speak upon the “Mormon question,” and was invited to do so in the speech to which reference is here made. Mr. Douglas responded to the request. He grouped the charges against the Mormons, then passing current, in the following manner:

“First, that nine-tenths of the inhabitants are aliens by birth who have refused to become naturalized, or to take the oath of allegiance, or do any other act recognizing the government of the United States as the paramount authority in the territory [Utah];

“Second, that the inhabitants, whether native or alien born, known as Mormons (and they constitute the whole people of the territory) are bound by horrible oaths and terrible penalties, to recognize and maintain the authority of Brigham Young, and the government of which he is head, as paramount to that of the United States, in civil as well as religious affairs; and they will in due time, and under the direction of their leaders, use all the means in their power to subvert the government of the United States, and resist its authority.

“Third, that the Mormon government, with Brigham Young at its head, is now forming alliance with Indian tribes in Utah and adjoining territories-stimulating the Indians to acts of hostility-and organizing bands of his own followers under the name of Danites or destroying angels, to prosecute a system of robbery and murders upon American citizens who support the authority of the United States, and denounce the infamous and disgusting practices and institutions of the Mormon government.”

Mr. Douglas based his remarks upon these rumors against the Saints, in the course of which he said:

“Let us have these facts in an official shape before the president and Congress, and the country will learn that in the performance of the high and solemn duty devolving upon the executive and Congress, there will be no vacillating or hesitating policy. It will be as prompt as the peal that follows that flash — as stern and unyielding as death. Should such a state of things actually exist as we are led to infer from the reports — and such information comes in an official shape — the knife must be applied to this pestiferous, disgusting cancer which is gnawing into the very vitals of the body politic. It must be cut out by the roots, and seared over by the red hot iron of stern, unflinching law. * * * Should all efforts fail to bring them (the Mormons) to a sense of their duty, there is but one remedy left. Repeal the organic law of the territory, on the ground that they are alien enemies and outlaws, unfit to be citizens of a territory, much less ever to become citizens of one of the free and independent states of this confederacy. To protect them further in their treasonable, disgusting and bestial practices would be a disgrace to the spirit of the age. Blot it out of the organized territories of the United States. What then? It will be regulated by the law of 1790, which has exclusive and sole jurisdiction over all the territory not incorporated under any organic or special law. By provisions of this law, all crimes and misdemeanors, committed on its soil can be tried before the legal authorities of any state of territories, prior to their organization as territories, and hanged for their crimes. The law of 1790 has sole and exclusive jurisdiction where no other law of a local character exists, and by repealing the organic law of Utah, you give to the general government of the United Sates the whole and sole jurisdiction over the territory.”

The speech of Mr. Douglas was of great interest and importance to the people of Utah at that juncture. Mr. Douglas had it in his power to do them great good. Because of his personal acquaintance with Joseph Smith and the great body of the Mormon people then in Utah, as well as their leaders (for he had known both leaders and people in Illinois, and those whom he had known in Illinois constituted the great bulk of the people of Utah, when he delivered the Springfield speech), he knew that the reports carried to the East by vicious and corrupt men were not true. He knew that these reports in the main were but a rehash of the old exploded charges made against Joseph Smith and his followers in Missouri; and he knew them to be false by many evidences furnished him by Joseph Smith in the interview of the 18th of May, 1843, and by the Mormon people at sundry times during his association with them at Nauvoo. He had an opportunity to befriend the innocent, to refute the calumny cast upon a virtuous community; to speak a word in behalf of the oppressed; but the demagogue triumphed over the statesman, the politician, over the humanitarian; and to avoid the popular censure which he feared befriending the Mormon people would bring to him, he turned his hand against them with the result that he did not destroy them but sealed his own doom — in fulfillment of the words of the prophet, he felt the weight of the hand of the Almighty upon him.

There is, and can be no question about the prophecy preceding the event. The prophecy was first published in the Deseret News of September 24, 1856. It was afterwards published in England in the Millennial Star, February, 1859. The publication in the Deseret News preceding Douglas’ Springfield speech, mentioned above, (June, 1857) by about one year, and about four years before Douglass was nominated for the presidency by the Charleston Democratic convention.

Moreover, lengthy review of Mr. Douglas’ speech was published in the editorial columns of the Deseret News in the issue of that paper for September 2nd, 1857, of which the following is the closing paragraph addressed directly to Mr. Douglas:

“In your last paragraph [of the Springfield speech] you say, ‘I have thus presented to you plainly and fairly my views of the Utah question;’ with at least equal plainness and with far more fairness have your views now been commented upon. And inasmuch as you were well acquainted with Joseph Smith, and this people, also with the character of our maligners, and did know their allegations were false, but must bark with the dogs who were snapping to your heels, to let them know that you were a dog with them; and also that you may have a testimony of the truth of the assertion that you did know Joseph and his people and the character of their enemies (and neither class have changed, only as the Saints have grown better and their enemies words); and also that you may thoroughly understand that you have voluntarily, knowingly and of choice sealed your damnation, and by your own chosen counsel of Joseph which you formerly sought, and prospered by following, and that you in common with us, may testify to all the world that Joseph was a true prophet, the following extract from the History of Joseph Smith is again printed for your benefit, and is kindly recommended to your careful perusal and most candid consideration”

Then follows the interview between Joseph Smith and Mr. Douglas as recorded in the journal of William Clayton, as published in the News a year before Mr. Douglas’ Springfield speech, and as now given in this chapter of the History of the Church.

This News editorial boldly accepted the challenge of Mr. Douglas. He raised his hand against the followers of Joseph Smith, despite the warning of the prophet; and they in the chief organ of the Church, reproduced the prophecy and told Mr. Douglas that he had “sealed his damnation and closed his chance for the presidential chair” through disobeying the counsel of the prophet. The presidential election of 1860, and the death of Mr. Douglas in the prime of life, the year following tells the rest. Smith, History of the Church, 5:394-398.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

lundbaek wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 11:41 pm "Then, in October conference Elder Talmage spoke of the lost tribes and made this remarkable prediction: "The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost into the Lord; they shall be brought forth as has been predicted, and I say unto you there are those now living---aye, some here present who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews or the Holy Bible and the record of the Nephites or Book of Mormon. (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p 76; emphasis added)"

oh yea, I'm on LDSff where threads get hijacked. this is a deadline . . . the thread is about deadlines, isn't it?

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

hedgehog wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 2:00 am Like that "Rising generation" Math that has to be expanded beyond all accepted understanding to fit some technicality.

Re: Prophecy, I think we all personally have stories where we received an impression that didn't turn out how we thought. Having pondered this deeply, some reasons for this can be:

1. Original Impression was accurate but my emotions and assumptions of the who, what, why, and when caused my interpretation to be wrong. (This one has burned me A-lot!)
2. We mistook evil whispers for holy guidance.
3. Free Agency, someone involved failed a test and promises have been lost. One big example, just look at all the older siblings in early Israel like Joseph (coat of many colours) and how each of them lost or traded their Tribal birthright. Yet, I expect heaven is obligated to support birthright privileges until it has been formally lost. This could cause once proclaimed matters to not happen.
4. We are low IQ beings made of rotting hamburger that can't find our keys, Godhead being omnipotent eternal beings don't differentiate things in the ways we do. For instance, before or after death is a huge difference to us, yet to them it is more congruous and they may not parse it out according to our very narrow anxieties and priorities. What they said is true and death is just another birth.

Going through this learning process myself, I assume, is a big reason why they needed to have a school of the Prophets. Now if only we could set our ego aside and start having much more sincere discussions at Church, that could suffice for most of us. We could rise above learning everything the hard way or becoming disillusioned by our own ignorant assumptions. I guess I expect to be at least as forgiving of Church leaders as I hope my family is with me and my own limitations of interpreting revelation. Much like any Translation , spiritual guidance is often normally not an exact science, and humans are particularly prone making a mess of things.

We see a lot of this apostatizing or mental gymnastics to force a statement by a church leader into the hole we need it to fit in. This is the fallout of Prophet worship. Is not compatible with the Gospel. We used to differentiate when early prophet quotes with, well did they begin it by saying "Thus sayeth the Lord?" I think that was a good system.
I suppose you are speaking for yourself

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

I was listening to an interview on a social media site that has thousands of serious viewers. The viewers are intelligent and represent some of the upper class, college educated people in USA.

The one being interviewed decided that he was going to put the bible to the test. this man appears to be around 40 years old and I have heard lots of his remarks for the last 10 years. He used to live as an american in another country but moved back recently to here. He was aetheist till a few months ago and the evil in our society got him looking for any thing to hold onto.

He said that he read all of the other books that each church has . . the koran, confusious writings, muhammed writings, etc. . . all of them except the satan books

He found numerous things to support that christianity is true and Jesus is true and etc with support from history also. But the thing that I remember most about all of his proofs was the fact that everything that was predicted by a prophet or Jesus, except the very end of the world, has come to pass. He said that there are no prophecies in any other fake bibles but only lists of good ways to behave.

If I put that same idea to D&C and BofM then I get the same convincing truth. Prophecies that came to pass . .good thread . . . good timing for me . . lots to think about

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

I wonder if the man who told us to store flour and wheat was being prophetic. Notice the date on this article. and pasta

Insect pasta made using 'protein of the future' is latest …

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/insect...
Mar 01, 2016 · The recipe she uses adds a mixture of seven percent insect flour to 93 percent organic spelt wheat flour. Dinner's up: The pasta is around £4.70 …

this is for real and it is all over the united states. Some farms that were bought by elites are producing this pasta and some flour.

For 30 some years I have stored and rotated my storage or used it up and replaced it. even if I had enough money to buy this fake food I wouldn't. Thank you Noah for setting an example of building an ark 40 years. I don't fell so stupid now.

I also have wondered about that patriot supply stuff that showed up and can be bought everywhere now. It could be made from bugs. remember the sam andy? dried spam in expensive cans. sorry to hijack but I am grateful for the prophecy to store food that I like.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

The following is a great quote from fairlatterdaysaints.org..

...the plagues of Egypt bear a strong witness, even today, of Moses’ calling as a prophet. And in the same way, miracles of the early period of the Church serve as a testimony to the divine calling of Joseph Smith, and his mission to bring about a restoration of many of the sacred truths and doctrines lost from the early Christian church.

As in the case of Elijah and the priests of Baal, miracles cannot provide a solid foundation on which to base a testimony of the Kingdom of God. However, they do serve the purpose of helping us understand God’s love for us. And without miracles, the Church surely would not have grown to what it is today.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I consider myself truly blessed to have such an amazing history to reflect upon. It makes me smile sometimes when an occasional anti-Mormon says, “How could you possibly believe that?” And silently, to myself, I always respond, “How could you not?”

Let's keep going. Elder Heber C. Kimball’s wife bears record of another account. Members of the Quorum of the Twelve were called to serve a mission in England. However, Elder Kimball was in a dire condition:

A short time previous to my husband’s starting…he was prostrated on his bed from a stitch in his back, which suddenly seized him while chopping and drawing wood for his family, so that he could not stir a limb without exclaiming, from the severeness of the pain. Joseph Smith hearing of it came to see him, bringing Oliver Cowdrey and Bishop Partridge with him. They prayed for and blessed him, Joseph being mouth, beseeching God to raise him up, &c. He then took him by the right hand and said, “Brother Heber, I take you by your right hand, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, and by virtue of the holy priesthood vested in me, I command you, in the name of Jesus Christ, to rise, and be thou made whole.” He arose from his bed, put on his clothes, and started with them, and went up to the temple, and felt no more the pain afterwards. Smith, History of the Church, 4:3-5.

In 1844 Joseph Smith prophesied that:

Within 5 years we should be out of the power of our old enemies, whether they were apostates or of the world; and told the brethren to record it, that when it comes to pass they need not say they had forgotten the saying. Smith, History of the Church, 6:225.

Joseph was correct in the one shown above, and once again in an 1831 revelation found in the Doctrine and Covenants.

I [Jesus Christ] will not that my servant Frederick G. Williams should sell his farm, for I, the Lord, will retain a strong hold in the land of Kirtland, for the space of five years, in the which I will not overthrow the wicked, that thereby I may save some.16

The important thing to gather from this verse is that the Lord would allow the wicked to remain for five years in Kirtland, after which the Lord would overthrow them. The Church was already moving its headquarters to Far West, Missouri, by 1836, and many members left the Church in the 1837 Kirtland Apostasy, when it can be said that the wicked were overthrown..17

Joseph Smith once again prophesied that the wicked in Kirtland would have their downfall in 1836:

Brethren, for some time Satan has not had power to tempt you. Some have thought there would be no more temptation. But the opposite will come; and unless you draw near to the Lord you will be overcome and apostatize.18

On another occasion, Joseph Smith once again warned the wicked through prophecy. While Zion’s Camp–a large company of the Saints from Kirtland sent to relieve the persecuted members in Missouri–was traveling towards their destination, the body was faced with many difficulties, not the least of which was grumbling from some the members.

Sylvester Smith (no relation to the Prophet), a sharp-tongued group captain, frequently led the dissentions. He complained that the food was poor, preparations for the journey were inadequate, and Joseph’s watchdog kept him awake at night. On the evening of 17 May, Joseph was called upon to settle a dispute among some of the brethren. He said that he found a “rebellious spirit in Sylvester Smith, and to some extent the others. I told them they would meet with misfortunes, difficulties and hindrances, and said, ‘and you will know it before you leave this place,’ exhorting them to humble themselves before the lord and become united, that they might not be scourged.” The following day the prophecy was fulfilled: nearly every horse was sick or lame. The Prophet promised if they would humble themselves and overcome their discord, their animals would immediately be restored to health. By noon the horses were nimble once again, with the exception of Sylvester Smith’s mount, which soon died.20

Some prophecies can in many ways almost be predictions, as in the case of the revelation about the wicked in Kirtland being overthrown. Though the manner and timing was miraculous, it is not too hard a thing to imagine that the wicked would be punished and humbled. Some prophecies are much more miraculous and incredible, especially when read in proper context. Such is the case with the next prophecy, given at Far West, Missouri, on November 2, 1838. The prophecy is not made until the third paragraph of the quote, but the context helps us to understand the boldness with which it was made.

The city of Far West, where the Saints had set up headquarters, was under attack by militia and mobs. The battle had not yet started when General Lucas (of the anti-Mormon militia) and Colonel Hinkle (the highest-ranked officer standing as an advocate for the Saints) met together under a flag of truce to deliver up several of the Church leaders to the militia. Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Lyman Wight, Parley P. Pratt, and George W. Robinson were betrayed into the hands of General Lucas by Colonel Hinkle. Later, Hyrum Smith and Amasa Lyman were captured and placed along with the other prisoners. The next morning, Missouri militia:

…vandalized the town, plundered valuable possessions, raped some of the women, and compelled the leading elders at bayonet point to sign promises to pay the expenses of the militia. Many prominent men were arrested and taken as prisoners to Richmond. The rest of the Saints were told to leave the state.

Plans were made to take the Church leaders to Independence for public display and trial. Thinking they might yet be executed, Joseph Smith and his fellow prisoners begged to see their families one last time, and they retuned to Far West on 2 November. Joseph found his wife and children in tears because they thought he had been shot. “When I entered my house, they clung to my garments, their eyes streaming with tears, while mingled emotions of joy and sorrow were manifested in their countenances,” he wrote. He was denied the privilege of a few private moments with them, but Emma wept and his children clung to him until “they were thrust from me by the swords of the guards.” The other prisoners suffered similarly as they bade farewell to their loved ones.

…The next morning as the prisoners began their march, Joseph spoke to his companions in a low, but hopeful tone. “Be of good cheer, brethren; the word of the Lord came to me last night that our lives should be given us, and that whatever we may suffer during this captivity, not one of our lives should be taken.”

Meanwhile, General John B. Clark, the governor’s designated commanding officer for the Mormon War, arrived in Far West…. He said, “…As for your leaders, do not once think-do not imagine for a moment-do not let it enter your mind that they will be delivered, or that you will see their faces again, for their fate is fixed-their die is cast-their doom is sealed.”21

However, General Clark was wrong in this instance, and though all opposition seemed to say otherwise, Joseph was correct in stating the word of the Lord. Though adversity and opposition by mobs peaked at this point, Joseph, Hyrum, Sydney, and the others did not die.

All of these prophecies and circumstances can in some ways be categorized by another prophecy that Joseph made in the year 1842:

I had a conversation with a number of brethren in the shade of the building on the subject of our persecutions in Missouri and the constant annoyance which has followed us since we were driven from that state. I prophesied that the Saints would continue to suffer much affliction and would be driven to the Rocky Mountains, many would apostatize, others would be put to death by our persecutors or lose their lives in consequence of exposure or disease, and some of you will live to go and assist in making settlements and build cities and see the Saints become a mighty people in the midst of the Rocky Mountains.22

Joseph’s prophecy once again has been fulfilled gloriously as a matter undeniable by a simple look at history.

One of the most sobering events in the History of the Church is the time period leading up to Joseph Smith’s martyrdom. During his last five days, Joseph communicated the word of the Lord on several occasions concerning events that were about to take place.

[Saturday, June 22, 1844] About 9 p. m. Hyrum came out of the Mansion and gave his hand to Reynolds Cahoon, at the same time saying, “A company of men are seeking to kill my brother Joseph, and the Lord has warned him to flee to the Rocky Mountains to save his life.”23

However, due to the request of several of his associates and friends, as well as a letter from his wife, Joseph paused to consider the events.

Joseph said to Rockwell, “What shall I do?” Rockwell replied, “You are the oldest and ought to know best; and as you make your bed, I will lie with you.” Joseph then turned to Hyrum who was talking to Cahoon, and said, “Brother Hyrum, you are the oldest, what shall we do?” Hyrum said, “Let us go back and give ourselves up, and see the thing out.” After studying a few moments, Joseph said, “If you go back I will go with you, but we shall be butchered.”24

While on their way back to Nauvoo, Joseph and his companions stopped at a hill:

Joseph paused when they got to the Temple, and looked with admiration first on that, and then on the city, and remarked, “This is the loveliest place and the best people under the heavens; little do they know the trials that await them.”25

When Joseph and his companions arrived in Nauvoo, they were met by General Dunn of the militia who asked that Joseph give consent for the relief of all guns from the Nauvoo Legion. Henry G. Sherwood went to the prophet to receive instruction.

Joseph inquired if he was under arrest, or expected to be arrested. Sherwood answered, “No,” when Joseph directed him to return ahead of the company, gather the arms and do as well as he could in all things [return them to the state of Illinois]. Joseph then said to the company who were with him, “I am going like a lamb to the slaughter, but I am calm as a summers’ morning. I have a conscience void of offense toward God and toward all men. If they take my life I shall die an innocent man, and my blood shall cry from the ground for vengeance, and it shall be said of me ‘He was murdered in cold blood!'”26

Joseph’s actions were exactly in accordance with a prophecy given two days earlier.

[Thursday, June 20, 1844] I gave directions to Theodore Turley to commence the manufacture of artillery. He asked me if he should not rent a building, and set some men to repairing the small arms which were out of order. I told him in confidence that there would not be a gun fired on our part during this fuss.27

The record indicates what happened next:

When the fact of the order for the state arms was known in Nauvoo, many of the brethren looked upon it as another preparation for a Missouri massacre; nevertheless, as Joseph requested that it should be complied with, they very unwillingly gave up the arms.

About 6 p.m., when all the states’ arms were collected, and the company were ready to start, Captain Dunn and Quartermaster-General Buckmaster made a short speech, expressing their gratitude at the peaceable conduct of the citizens of Nauvoo, and that while they thus conducted themselves they would protect them.28

Joseph was correct–with or without his permission, none of the Saints fired on the militia, though it seemed, as it were, that another massacre was about to have taken place.

Not too long later, Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Willard Richards, and John Taylor were incarcerated. Shortly after they had been put under custody, a mob attempted to breach the room and fired bullets through the door. Joseph and Hyrum were both mortally wounded. John Taylor, also shot, survived the incident. However, Willard Richards’ escaped the incident virtually unharmed.

Dr. Richards’ escape was miraculous; he being a very large man, and in the midst of a shower of balls, yet he stood unscathed, with the exception of a ball which grazed the tip end of the lower part of his left ear. His escape fulfilled literally a prophecy which Joseph made over a year previously, that the time would come that the balls would fly around him like hail, and he should see his friends fall on the right and on the left, but that there should not be a hole in his garment.29[url]https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.or ... istory#en6[/url]

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Blessed of the Lord is Brother Whitney, even the Bishop of the Church of Latter-day Saints, for the Bishopric shall never be taken away from him while he liveth. And the time cometh that he shall, overcome all the narrow-mindedness of his heart, and all his covetous desires that so easily beset him. . . . Therefore he shall be preserved unto the utmost and his life shall be precious in the sight of the Lord (HC 2:288).

Newel Whitney died a faithful member of the Church in Salt Lake City in 1850.

On one occasion when Joseph had been arrested by officers from Missouri and was awaiting trial in Illinois, he made a statement that he “would not go to Missouri dead or alive” (HC 5:216). Shortly afterwards he was released.

As instructed by Joseph Smith, the dedicatory prayer of Orson Hyde was given on October 24, 1841, on the Mount of Olives (HC 4:456). On December II, 1917, General Allenby of the British Army marched his military forces into Jerusalem and wrested control of the land from the Turks. And then England announced it would foster the return of the Jews to Palestine (Berrett, The Restored Church, p. 210). A movement of Jews to Palestine has gone on continually. In 1948 the United Nations officially created the State of Israel, which today is one of the most powerful countries in the Near East.

The following entry on Saturday, June 22, 1844, is the last item from the direct narrative of the Prophet. The remainder of the History of the Church is taken from other journals.

“I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God” (HC 6:546).

This prophecy was given the last night before the Prophet’s death: Soon after Dr. Richards retired to the bed .. . and when all were apparently fast asleep, Joseph whispered to Dan Jones, “are you afraid to die?” Dan said, “Has that time come, think you? Engaged in such a cause I do not think that death would have many terrors.” Joseph replied, “You will yet see Wales, and fulfill the mission appointed you before you die” (HC 6:601).

Before his death, Dan Jones fulfilled two missions to Wales, being the instrument in converting nearly a thousand people to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This may be the last recorded prophesy of the Prophet before his martyrdom

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Ensign Peak
The pioneer history of the peak began three years before the arrival of the Mormons in the Salt Lake Valley in July 1847. George A. Smith, a counselor to President Brigham Young, described how President Young first saw Ensign Peak while seeking divine guidance following the 1844 death of the Prophet Joseph Smith. "After the death of Joseph Smith, when it seemed as if every trouble and calamity had come upon the Saints, Brigham Young, who was President of the Twelve, then the presiding Quorum of the Church, sought the Lord to know what they should do, and where they should lead the people for safety, and while they were fasting and praying daily on this subject, President Young had a vision of Joseph Smith, who showed him the mountain that we now call Ensign Peak, immediately north of Salt Lake City, and there was an ensign fell upon that peak, and Joseph said, 'Build under the point where the colors fall and you will prosper and have peace.’” [2] Young understood that he was to lead the Church members west and that the peak he saw in vision would be a sign that they had reached their appointed destination.
For the full inspiring story click on this link.https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/salt-lake- ... al-preview