I'm on coffee. Need advice??

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Alex
Hi, I'm new.

I'm on coffee. Need advice??

Post by Alex »

Hi everyone I heard this is a good place to get some good anonymous advice. So here goes my question. I'm on coffee and I'm thinking about telling the bishop. Im not really wanting to quit and I was wondering if I told the bishop what would happen to me?? A trial? Loss of priesthood? Excommunication?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Re: I'm on coffee. Need advice??

Post by John Tavner »

Alex wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 9:33 pm Hi everyone I heard this is a good place to get some good anonymous advice. So here goes my question. I'm on coffee and I'm thinking about telling the bishop. Im not really wanting to quit and I was wondering if I told the bishop what would happen to me?? A trial? Loss of priesthood? Excommunication?
Unless your Bishop is a psychopath or you start preaching Coffee is the only way to the CK than I don't think excommunication is in the cards or a trial. They may say you can't exercise your priesthood or perform ordinances, they may just say keep it quiet, it can be Bishop roulette. There won't be a trial unless like I said you make a big deal about it. They may remove your temple recommend from you.

Two big things most likely to happen, if anything they would remove temple recommend and or say you can't do any ordinances like baptism etc...

Now whether or not them saying you can't do any ordiances and you actually ahving authority regardless of that is a different question...

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

If you feel justified before God, then do it. Let the consequences of listening to the Spirit follow suit. Live your life until they ask you about it.

If you’ve got the right intent, then you lose nothing but the approval of men.
Last edited by Gadianton Slayer on August 2nd, 2022, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Straight, or with cream and sugar? Only two people you owe knowledge of how you live your temporal life, the Lord, and your spouse.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

The fact that Alex has to ask this question says more about the Church than Alex.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

I will also add that some Bishops ( again Bishop roulette) will just encourage you to stop, but won't do anything and life will go on as normal.

Alex
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Alex »

PressingForward wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:26 pm Straight, or with cream and sugar? Only two people you owe knowledge of how you live your temporal life, the Lord, and your spouse.
Two creams please

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

JuneBug12000 wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:27 pm The fact that Alex has to ask this question says more about the Church than Alex.
The fact that the WoW is preached so hard that excommunication is a potential thought for those not knowing definitely says a lot about the church and their priorities... something is rotten in Denmark.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

John Tavner wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:34 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:27 pm The fact that Alex has to ask this question says more about the Church than Alex.
The fact that the WoW is preached so hard that excommunication is a potential thought for those not knowing definitely says a lot about the church and their priorities... something is rotten in Denmark.
I agree. I have a hard believing God is cool with gay sex, but coffee is a one way ticket to hell?

Especially in light of all the other terrible things people drink, like soda and energy drinks.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Alex wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 9:33 pm Hi everyone I heard this is a good place to get some good anonymous advice. So here goes my question. I'm on coffee and I'm thinking about telling the bishop. Im not really wanting to quit and I was wondering if I told the bishop what would happen to me?? A trial? Loss of priesthood? Excommunication?
From the handbook:
Failure to Comply with Some Church Standards

A membership council is not held for the actions listed below.

-Inactivity in the Church

-Not fulfilling Church duties

-Not paying tithing

-Not complying with the Word of Wisdom

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Why drink coffee?

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

Robin Hood wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 12:07 am Why drink coffee?
1. The taste
2. The smell
3. The caffeine
4. The laxative properties

There may be other reasons, but I am not an expert.

NeveR
captain of 1,000

Post by NeveR »

Dude, have you ever had coffee? I had to give it up even before I married a Mormon because it gave me migraines from hell - but boy I miss it!

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Alex wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 9:33 pm I'm thinking about telling the bishop. Im not really wanting to quit
What are you hoping to accomplish by telling the bishop? If you are not planning to quit, you aren't seeking help in the repentance process, so what is the plan?

As Artaxerxes posted, there shouldn't be any disciplinary actions from breaking WoW. But keeping the WoW is one of the temple recommend questions, so you won't get one. The bishop might also restrain from giving you "important" callings (which some might see as a good thing :D). If your ward is large, you might not get any calling. In smaller units, the need for competent people is too large, and coffee won't keep you from serving in the ward/branch.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Probably a good idea to keep this as a private practise.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I've had plenty of coffee in my life. Unless you're one of the lucky people who has the gene that means it doesn't affect them much, it's a waste of time. It creates energy by taking it from elsewhere.

It smells good. But then again, so do pipe tobacco and the better type of cigars.

I'm glad to be away from it

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

mcusick wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 12:17 am
1. The taste
2. The smell
3. The caffeine

Laxative? I think you mean the opposite.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Hot? You are not very smart.

Not Hot? Then it's not against the WOW, but might be a bad idea for other reasons.

You may or may not receive a Temple Recommend.

Depends entirely on how you answer the question.

Sir H

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Hi Alex. I hope you understand that hot drinks are against the WoW and so be sure to have your coffee at about 80C or less. I have my green tea at that temperature and it is very good for you. We now know that scaldingly hot drinks might lead to certain cancers.

Also be careful of the addictive nature of caffeine. Caffiene is a medicine and should be used with prudence. If you find that you just 'can't function' without your morning coffee, it might wise to cut back.

But more importantly, I assume you are an American, so be careful of sugar in almost everything you eat. Make sure you take sugar with great moderation and then you are certainly living the WoW. And like the Prophet said, get your vitamin pills and get plenty of sleep!

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

Niemand wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 3:11 am
1. The taste
2. The smell
3. The caffeine

Its laxative effects are common knowledge...

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

Dave62 wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 3:38 am Hi Alex. I hope you understand that hot drinks are against the WoW and so be sure to have your coffee at about 80C or less. I have my green tea at that temperature and it is very good for you. We now know that scaldingly hot drinks might lead to certain cancers.

Also be careful of the addictive nature of caffeine. Caffiene is a medicine and should be used with prudence. If you find that you just 'can't function' without your morning coffee, it might wise to cut back.

But more importantly, I assume you are an American, so be careful of sugar in almost everything you eat. Make sure you take sugar with great moderation and then you are certainly living the WoW. And like the Prophet said, get your vitamin pills and get plenty of sleep!
I think this is the best reply. There is no judgement against coffee in particular, just wisdom and prudence, teaching and helping.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

mcusick wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 3:45 am
Niemand wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 3:11 am
1. The taste
2. The smell
3. The caffeine

Its laxative effects are common knowledge...
https://www.livestrong.com/article/4114 ... stipation/

http://www.happybowel.com/coffee-and-co ... explained/

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I think bro is trolling

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Coffee is for losers. Us real Mormon winners drink nothing but straight energy drinks, 24/7.

Switch and be saved, my brother!
yummy.jpeg
yummy.jpeg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 759 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

iWriteStuff wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:29 am Coffee is for losers. Us real Mormon winners drink nothing but straight energy drinks, 24/7.

Switch and be saved, my brother!

yummy.jpeg
Joking aside, I include those things in my personal WoW. Haven't touched taurine in years.