Hello from the desert. Riverbed ranch.

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Re: Hello from the desert. Riverbed ranch.

Post by FreedomWorks »

M249Gunner wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 11:34 am Does anyone in that community commute to work?
Not that I know of, but there are a good number who work online via Starlink.
Oh, wait, there is one guy that works 30 miles away at Dugway. He used to live a lot further away than that.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

M249Gunner wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 11:27 am Riverbed Ranch is out by Death Canyon. I have camped in that canyon and explored in and around the old mines there. That was years ago. The roads going in and out of that area were not great. Are they better now? <snip>
It's asphalt pavement until a few miles past the turnoff for the sand dunes, then 30 miles of fairly-well maintained rock roads.

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

FreedomWorks wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:31 pm
M249Gunner wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 11:27 am That place would be more appealing if it had an airport.
My lot at Riverbed Ranch is the 2nd to the last in the Southeast corner.
Pilot named David owns the lot next to mine.
He plans on building a hanger and using BLM land just outside our fence for an airstrip.
And we also have a designated campground with shower/bathrooms under construction.
What does your neighbor fly?

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

M249Gunner wrote: December 18th, 2022, 5:01 pm
FreedomWorks wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:31 pm
M249Gunner wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 11:27 am That place would be more appealing if it had an airport.
My lot at Riverbed Ranch is the 2nd to the last in the Southeast corner.
Pilot named David owns the lot next to mine.
He plans on building a hanger and using BLM land just outside our fence for an airstrip.
And we also have a designated campground with shower/bathrooms under construction.
What does your neighbor fly?
He flies those very small planes. Though my understanding is that he doesn't own one yet.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

Thought you all might appreciate seeing our latest update video:
Off-Grid Community in Utah

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

FreedomWorks wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:15 am Thought you all might appreciate seeing our latest update video:
Off-Grid Community in Utah
Thanks for the update.

Since water is the main key to any legitimate success in the desert (although good soil helps too), as I asked in another thread (viewtopic.php?t=69115) devoted to that purpose, what, if anything, is being done around Riverbeds to develop a sustainable and self-reliant means to extracting large amounts (say, 500+ gpm) of groundwater? Anything worth talking about on that front?

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

tmac wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:26 am Thanks for the update.

Since water is the main key to any legitimate success in the desert (although good soil helps too), as I asked in another thread (viewtopic.php?t=69115) devoted to that purpose, what, if anything, is being done around Riverbeds to develop a sustainable and self-reliant means to extracting large amounts (say, 500+ gpm) of groundwater? Anything worth talking about on that front?
Well, we have five large wells at Riverbed Ranch. The largest will pump something like 1,600 gallons a minute. All were run in the past on diesel. We're planning at some point to see if we can convert at least one to solar power. That count?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Yes, that’s definitely what I’m inquiring about — the ability to pump larger amounts with solar or wind. Just wondering if anything has been done that way.

Diesel doesn’t count. Long term it may be as unreliable as the grid.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

What is the religious dynamic of the community?

Will1
captain of 10

Post by Will1 »

We have a Branch out here, predominantly Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of later day saints. We have many who are not Members of our faith who we love and respect the same. The lord is bringing those out here regardless of what is believed. It's a very interesting thing to see.