LDS Missions should not cost a dime.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
pollibird
captain of 100

Re: LDS Missions should not cost a dime.

Post by pollibird »

Joined the church in my early 20's, so never served a mission. Many things I don't know about being a missionary
Am wondering, does the family pay for rent for the missionaries? I imagine it would be very expensive in large U.S. cities. How does a divorced mom do it on a small income? Any help on the ward level? And the missionaries food, who pays for that? When i lived in Arizona, every sunday a list was passed around to feed the missionaries, but not here in utah!! They look very well fed here,so I don't know on that.
But I am very interested in the rental part.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Tithing, and sacrifice are only good for the goose, not the ganders. The wealthy, elite GA's get to live on the church dime for every expense you can think of, as well as keep every red cent of their own private wealth. In short, they don't have to sacrifice a da$mned thing.

That's for us peons.

The modern LDS church makes the moneychangers of Jesus's day look like saints. Can't wait to see him get the whip out.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:06 pm
It was about $350 a month when I served (plus all the upfront costs like clothes/garmets) but I can tell you I only saw a small fraction of that actually directly support me and had to dip even more into my parent's funds just to survive.

Like I said the church is beyond cheap, they're exploitative when they do that.
I too had to use a credit card from my parents.
Unless you want to eat ramen noodles everyday.....what a sick joke.

Ebenezer
captain of 100

Post by Ebenezer »

pollibird wrote: July 31st, 2022, 1:04 am Joined the church in my early 20's, so never served a mission. Many things I don't know about being a missionary
Am wondering, does the family pay for rent for the missionaries? I imagine it would be very expensive in large U.S. cities. How does a divorced mom do it on a small income? Any help on the ward level? And the missionaries food, who pays for that? When i lived in Arizona, every sunday a list was passed around to feed the missionaries, but not here in utah!! They look very well fed here,so I don't know on that.
The church/mission pay the monthly rent on apartments/properties (at least some of that money comes from the missionary). They also pay any auto costs. Each missionary is responsible for his own day to day expenses like groceries, transportation (bus pass, bike, gas), etc.

A while back (1990s?) the church standardized the cost of a mission for every family (~ $10,000) to help equalize the geographical differences in cost.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Have we lost sight of the extraordinary blessings attached to the Lord’s commandment to labor in his vineyard without purse or scrip? Have we considered the fruits of those who acted entirely on faith and put this principle to the test? “It is expedient that I give unto you this commandment, that ye become even as my friends in days when I was with them, traveling to preach the gospel in my power; For I suffered them not to have purse or scrip, neither two coats” (Doctrine & Covenants 84:77–78). Will the time come when we shall again go out without purse or scrip?

Becoming “friends” of Christ inherently possesses these divine conditions and promises: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. Whoso receiveth you receiveth me; and the same will feed you, and clothe you, and give you money. And he who feeds you, or clothes you, or gives you money, shall in nowise lose his reward. And he that doeth not these things is not my disciple; by this you may know my disciples” (Doctrine & Covenants 84:88–91).

The early apostles practiced this principle and were empowered of God to convert thousands of souls and perform miracles in the name of Jesus. So did many brethren at the time of the gospel’s restoration. Book of Mormon priests were commanded that they “were not to depend upon the people for their support; but for their labor they were to receive the grace of God, that they might wax strong in the Spirit, having the knowledge of God, that they might teach with power and authority from God” (Mosiah 18:26). Indeed, it constituted a principle of divine empowerment.

Says Paul: “When I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself” (2 Corinthians 11:9). Says Alma, “Notwithstanding the many labors which I have performed in the church, I have never received so much as even one senine for my labor; neither has any of my brethren” (Alma 30:33). How else could these rise to spiritual heights if their faith hadn’t been so tested?

“Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the chiefest apostles, though I be nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds” (2 Corinthians 12:9–12).

The sons of Mosiah were endowed with like power from God: “I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?” (Alma 26:11–13).

Even though Alma, the sons of Mosiah, and other servants of God “suffered hunger, thirst, and all kinds of afflictions” (Alma 8:19–26; 20:29), they passed God’s test of their faith and paid the price of their amazing success. “Labor ye in my vineyard. Call upon the inhabitants of the earth, and bear record, and prepare the way for the commandments and revelations which are to come. Now, behold this is wisdom; whoso readeth, let him understand and receive also; For unto him that receiveth it shall be given more abundantly, even power” (Doctrine & Covenants 71:4–6).

Posted in Weekly Newsletter
Isaiah Institute

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

Ebenezer wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:04 am I think it’s interesting that any surplus a member has on a missionary account, which is usually the cost of one month or less, can’t be refunded. It must be redirected as a donation. I know of one case where a family is sitting on a couple hundred bucks in their now-returned missionary’s account just waiting for their younger son to go so they can roll it into his account rather than watch it disappear into the general fund.
I know, it's ridiculous. Especially for those missionaries or families that barely scraped enough to pay for a mission. Thankfully my bishop gave me the heads up ahead of time to stop paying so there wouldn't be any surplus. Lesson learned for anyone paying for a mission- DONT PAY AHEAD! If for whatever reason your missionary comes home early, including things like health problems, war, pandemics, etc., you won't get that money back!

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:48 am in addition to 10% of their income
There's no reason a member can't decide, as agent unto himself, to include that $500 a month as their tithing. I see nothing wrong and everything good with using tithing money for missionary work. It is the member who decides at a recommend interview whether he or she is a full tithe payer.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 31st, 2022, 3:35 am Tithing, and sacrifice are only good for the goose, not the ganders. The wealthy, elite GA's get to live on the church dime for every expense you can think of, as well as keep every red cent of their own private wealth. In short, they don't have to sacrifice a da$mned thing.

That's for us peons.

The modern LDS church makes the moneychangers of Jesus's day look like saints. Can't wait to see him get the whip out.
Isn't funny how the 12 shirked their responsibility to be the missionaries and pawned off that responsibility to the young men but didn't pass on the purse or script portion by telling them they have to pay their own way while at the same time paying themselves a salary for not going out to do missionary work. Unbelievable!

SonofKorah
captain of 10

Post by SonofKorah »

I was interested to read this as a convert in my forties and in light of what I believe was a nationwide uniform lesson today on the duty of young men to go on a mission. What surprised me was the quite frank discussion in my ward of the highs and lows of a mission, stories of sons who did/would not go and people who wanted to but could not for various reasons, and one poor soul whose brother tried to kill himself on his mission. This is a fraught topic among BIC Mormons. One of my older relatives was a Dominican Order Mission Priest in what became Bahawalpur province in Pakistan. He would stay at my Grannies when he came back in town every few years. He was like Indiana Jones, seriously. He had been abducted a few times, arrested and beaten a few, spoke a few languages and could even fly the airplane he had to use to get around. In light of that and earlier church history I wish the Church would stop what it is doing and try something else for mature folk who are willing to devote a good chunk of their lives to the work and take care of them right…even families can do it if supported right. One of my schoolmates was born in Africa where his family was in a mission for some Protestant church.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:48 am Specifically, the idea that a family in good standing with the Church should be expected to pay $500 a month in addition to 10% of their income plus fast offerings is ridiculous for an organization that has 150 billion dollars at it's disposal. This is a travesty, especially when you consider how poor missionaries are and that they barely.scrape by.

Honestly as I get older and see things more clearly I think the way the Church treats it's young missionaries is awful. The fact that their families are expected to pay out of pocket for that experience is equally awful for such a wealthy church.
"I'm entitled to someone else's money!" is a persistent modern refrain. It's never persuasive. Even less so when we're talking about God's money.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

the Lord is about to take everything away from you. No food. Some will lose houses. a war which will kill many people. Then, we, the righteous and faithful will be expected to finish the gathering of Israel without purse or script or houses or food. the destruction of the world will be so vast with 10%-30% of the people left. Our families and friends gone. Absolute poverty literally overnight.

I have no idea yet how we will be able to transport people from other countries or how we will be transported to their country to gather them.

But this I know. . . we are going through the preparation now . . . to have everything taken from us and still do the Lord's work. How do you measure up? are you doing the Lord's work now regardless of the sacrafice or are you saying it is too hard? Are you telling the Lord that you will not be able to be a part of his work in gathering cuz the church has all of this money?

The money which quite frankly will be gone. Gone with all of mine and your money, too. Don't even think for a minute that those who are taking the SS and the 401ks are not looking over the funds of many churches. One world order will scarf that money up as soon as they can for the one world church. The politicians are currently plundering our federal taxes in a huge way. and laundering those funds back into their personal accounts.

the new normal . . . forced on us because of our wickedness and the desire of our God to get us to repent

layer8prob@gmail.com
captain of 100

Post by layer8prob@gmail.com »

Artaxerxes wrote: July 31st, 2022, 7:24 pm
layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:48 am Specifically, the idea that a family in good standing with the Church should be expected to pay $500 a month in addition to 10% of their income plus fast offerings is ridiculous for an organization that has 150 billion dollars at it's disposal. This is a travesty, especially when you consider how poor missionaries are and that they barely.scrape by.

Honestly as I get older and see things more clearly I think the way the Church treats it's young missionaries is awful. The fact that their families are expected to pay out of pocket for that experience is equally awful for such a wealthy church.
"I'm entitled to someone else's money!" is a persistent modern refrain. It's never persuasive. Even less so when we're talking about God's money.
Like how Church leadership think they're entitled to everyone else's tithe money and then hide it from the membership? Because they don't pay tithing but get a the perks. Also I'm pretty sure "the Lord's money" is actually coming from regular tithe payers. God doesn't need money.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

you have no proof of whatyou say. But like many others have fallen to the brainwashing.
you probably have stopped questioning your own words or if you are telling truth. Haven't you notice how many times fred and others, maybe people not even on this forum, repeats the same thing over and over?

It is a form of brainwashing and it is hard to call people out that do this and get them to stop it. no matter the thread, Ferd gives the same brainwash narrative.

wait, what am I thinking, perhaps you are trying to brainwash, too.

I use to believe that posters were giving original thought but now I see a lot of same old narrative in the form of brainwashing on this forum. I don't want to get dumbed down.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:19 am

Like how Church leadership think they're entitled to everyone else's tithe money and then hide it from the membership? Because they don't pay tithing but get a the perks. Also I'm pretty sure "the Lord's money" is actually coming from regular tithe payers. God doesn't need money.
They do pay tithing, sorry to burst your made up bubble.

God considers it His money: "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."
Last edited by Artaxerxes on August 1st, 2022, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Fred wrote: July 30th, 2022, 12:41 pm I would not recommend that anyone go on a mission, unless they have authorization signed by the First Presidency as well as his/her area authority, local Stake President, and Bishop, to tell the truth.
Yes, Ideally. But the truth is not what matters in these cases. What matters to all involved, is pleasing men.

How many people would go out on their own to preach truth that is not supported, maybe even contradicts religious dogmas? They would be laughed at as prophets of old & crazy bums on the street.

Herd mentality is the order of the day. We can sway that & hopefully will before the herd mentality turns more insanely dangerous.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

It’s not about the organization. It’s about the individual—The individual needs to learn what consecration is and how to live it.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

pollibird wrote: July 31st, 2022, 1:04 am Joined the church in my early 20's, so never served a mission. Many things I don't know about being a missionary
Rent comes out of a missionary's monthly funds. Within the mission, some apartments are cheap and some are not. The same amount of rent is deducted from each missionary's account. What is saved from less expensive apartments goes to the more expensive apartments. Hope that makes sense.

If a family can't afford a mission, then the home ward will pay for it. If the ward can't pay, then funds are transferred from Church headquarters.

Missionaries pay for their own food, though, as you know, members are encouraged to feed the missionaries.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

I'm not following your logic as to why this is a travesty. Please explain.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

The Red Pill wrote: July 30th, 2022, 12:04 pm
kittycat51 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:40 am
The Red Pill wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:24 am Don't forget that missionaries have to buy their own bicycle once they get to the mission...so parents just bought clothing (for 2 years), luggage, supplies...then surprise, surprise, surprise...a $500 to $700 bicycle expense.

I was so upset when I learned about Ensign Peak Advisors.
What's Ensign Peak Advisors?
That's who holds the churches $150 billion stock portfolio slush fund.
You mean the $150 billion slush fund we know about. There's no way to know if there are other slush funds, but I would almost bet on it. It would be amateurish to only have one such fund for a variety of reasons. If I know one thing about Church leadership it's that they aren't amateurs.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 8:57 am
layer8prob@gmail.com wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:19 am

They do pay tithing, sorry to burst your made up bubble.

God considers it His money: "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."
Maybe they do pay tithing. I'm sure they can pay tithing and Pres. Eyring paystub indicates he did. However, one paystub doesn't show if the general authority manual tells ga's that they don't need to pay tithing or not. I find it strange that the Church won't comment on whether such a policy exists and I find it disturbing that they even have a confidential manual for general authorities.

AliciaB
captain of 10

Post by AliciaB »

Good point but what if in good faith you decide to pay for your son's mission and shortly into it you realize you cannot. What happens then? I honestly have no idea.

largerthanlife2
captain of 100

Post by largerthanlife2 »

No missionary will be turned away from serving a mission. If the family cannot pay for missionary, the stake or ward will pay for the missionary.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

largerthanlife2 wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 1:02 am No missionary will be turned away from serving a mission. If the family cannot pay for missionary, the stake or ward will pay for the missionary.
Kind of. We have local missionary funds, but people have to raise money.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

AliciaB wrote: August 1st, 2022, 6:53 pm Good point but what if in good faith you decide to pay for your son's mission and shortly into it you realize you cannot. What happens then? I honestly have no idea.
Usually, people will offer to help. If they don't, then the bishop will ask certain members if they could contribute (say, $5-$20 per month) to make up the difference (or the whole amount).

largerthanlife2: "No missionary will be turned away from serving a mission. If the family cannot pay for missionary, the stake or ward will pay for the missionary."

This doesn't magically happen, and ward/stake budget money can't be moved into the missionary funds. These have to be donated by someone. (which is what Niemand said).

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:39 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:35 am I remember a time during 2007-2010 timeframe when the church was trying to *SAVE* money by moving the missionaries in with members in their homes. lol.
Yes, they tried that in the Fort Worth area during that time. If I had known about Ensign Peak at the time, I would have openly disagreed. I don’t know of anyone who took the missionaries into their homes.

A faithful couple up the street with all their kids gone, had several sets of consecutive missionaries stay with them.

…until they infested the bedroom with bed bugs…