The Father and the Son appear to members of The School of the Prophets

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Kirtland, Ohio 1833

Zebedee Coltrin, a member of the School of the Prophets records:
Zebedee Coltrin 1804-1877

At one of these meetings after the organization of the school, (the school being organized on the 23rd of January, 1833) when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence, no one whispered above his breath, a personage walked through the room from east to west, and Joseph asked if we saw him. I saw him and suppose the others did and Joseph answered “that is Jesus, the Son of God, our elder brother.” Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former position in prayer, which we did. Another person came through; he was surrounded as with a flame of fire. experienced a sensation that it might destroy the tabernacle as it was of consuming fire of great brightness. The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw Him.
The Newel K. Whitney store - Kirtland, Ohio

[When asked about the kind of clothing the Father had on, Brother Coltrin said:] I did not discover his clothing for he was surrounded as with a flame of fire, which was so brilliant that I could not discover anything else but his person. I saw his hands, his legs, his feet, his eyes, nose, mouth, head and body in the shape and form of a perfect man. He sat in a chair as a man would sit in a chair, but this appearance was so grand and overwhelming that it seemed I should melt down in his presence, and the sensation was so powerful that it thrilled through my whole system and I felt it in the marrow of my bones. The Prophet Joseph said: “Brethren, now you are prepared to be the apostles of Jesus Christ, for you have seen both the Father and the Son and know that they exist and that they are two separate personages.”…

The school room was in the upper room of [Newel K.] Whitney’s store.

Notes

“Statement of Zebedee Coltrin,” Minutes, 3 October 1883, Salt Lake School of Prophets, LDS Church Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah, 56-58; see also Lyndon W. Cook, The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1981), 187-88.https://www.ldsscriptureteachings.org/2 ... -prophets/

BigT
captain of 100

Re: The Father and the Son appear to members of The School of the Prophets

Post by BigT »

I read this recently and thought it odd they just walked through the room, and one sat in a chair. Why not appear together and say something? And I thought the Father appeared only to bear record or introduce the Son. Odd record (to me).

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

More on this event. This appearance occurred about two or three weeks after the opening of the school. After the Father had passed through, Joseph told us to again take our positions in prayer. We did so, and in a very short time he drew our attention and said to us that Brother Reynolds Cahoon was about to leave us, and told us to look at him. He (Brother Cahoon) was on his knees and his arms were extended, his hands and wrists, head, face and neck down to his shoulders were as a piece of amber, clear and transparent, his blood having apparently left his veins. Upon the attention of the brethren being thus called to Brother Cahoon, the change seemed to pass away and Joseph said that in a few minutes more, Brother Cahoon would have left us, but he came to himself again.

The school room was in the upper room of [Newel K.] Whitney's store. . . .

Sidney being mouth, he ordained me [Zebedee Coltrin] to all that could be placed upon man upon earth, and last of all that it should ever be my desire to preach the gospel to all the eternities of God.

This being sealed by all the brethren by a hearty Amen, is it anything to be wondered at that I always want to preach.

In Kirtland Temple, I [Zebedee Coltrin] have seen the power of God as it was in the day of Pentecost! and cloven tongues as of fire have rested on the brethren and they have spoken with other tongues as the spirit gave them utterance. I saw the Lord high and lifted up and frequently throng the solemn assemblies, the angels of God rested on the temple, and we heard their voices singing heavenly music. At another time when consecrating some oil, we saw visibly the finger of God enter the mouth of the bottle.

About four years ago, I was ordained a patriarch under the hands of President Brigham Young, John Taylor and others. That spirit and calling has been upon me ever since. It is the spirit that rested on the patriarchs of old. By its power I can bless you. I can tell you what God requires of you, and what will befall you throughout your generation.

Joseph told me that I should live till I was three score and ten and that I should live to see Kirtland built up, no more to be thrown down forever. I expect to do so.

And now brethren, I testify to the truth of these things, so that when I, your fellow laborer, shall have passed away, you may know that you heard my voice bear witness of them. And yet notwithstanding all these visions, and all these testimonies, the more sure testimony of the voice of God is, the meek and mild testimony of the spirit of God swelling within us.

Thomas Matley, Clerk. Source: Minutes of High Priest Meeting, Spanish Fork, Utah, February 5, 1870.

At Kirtland, we were called to the school of the prophets, and at one time when Joseph was in the translating room, myself and others were talking about the gift of tongues, when the spirit of tongues fell upon me and I [Zebedee Coltrin] spoke under its influence. Joseph came into the room and said, "God bless you, Brother Zebedee, that is the spirit of God." He told me to continue and the gift of tongues and of prophesying rested on the greater part of the brethren present and we continued speaking in tongues and prophesying through that day and the greater part of the following night.

At another time after fasting and prayer, Joseph told us that we should see the glory of God, and I saw a personage passing through the room as plainly as I see you now. Joseph asked us if we knew who it was, and answered himself. "That is Jesus, our elder brother, the Son of God." Again, I saw passing through the same room a personage whose glory and brightness was so great that I can liken it to nothing but the burning bush that Moses saw, and its power was so great that had it continued much longer, I believe it would have consumed us.

In addition, once after returning from a mission, he [Zebedee Coltrin] met Brother Joseph in Kirtland, who asked him if he did not wish to go with him to a conference at New Portage. The party consisted of Presidents Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery and myself [Zebedee Coltrin]. Next morning at New Portage, he noticed that Joseph seemed to have a far off look in his eyes, or was looking at a distance and presently he, Joseph, stepped between Brothers Cowdery and Coltrin and taking them by the arm, said, "Let's take a walk." They went to a place where there was some beautiful grass and grapevines and swampbeech interlaced. President Joseph Smith then said, "Let us pray." They all three prayed in turn--Joseph, Oliver, and Zebedee. Brother Joseph then said, "Now brethren, we will see some visions." Joseph lay down on the ground on his back and stretched out his arms and the two brethren lay on them. The heavens gradually opened, and they saw a golden throne, on a circular foundation, something like a light house, and on the throne were two aged personages, having white hair, and clothed in white garments. They were the two most beautiful and perfect specimens of mankind he ever saw. Joseph said, "They are our first parents, Adam and Eve." Adam was a large, broad-shouldered man, and Eve as a woman, was a large in proportion. (Brother Coltrin was born September 7th, 1804, and was baptized into the church on the 9th of January, 1831.)

Source: Minutes, Salt Lake City School of the Prophets, October 11, 1883.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Still more.[ The Many Visits of the Father and the Son in This Dispensation,https://latterdaysaintmag.com/the-many- ... pensation/

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Another of the witnesses of the visit of the Father and the Son in the school of the Prophets was John Murdock who had been a missionary companion of Zebedee Coltrin who we have read about above. John was converted by four missionaries sent to the Lamanites. Joseph and Emma Smith adopted John’s twins, who survived their mother’s death in childbirth. John gave a detailed account of one of the Savior’s appearances in the School of the Prophets. He said, “I . . . beheld the face of the Lord.”John Murdock, “John Murdock Journal, 1792–1871,” typescript, BYU Special Collections, 164.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Here is more from John Murdock's Journal "In one of these meetings the prophet told us if we could humble ourselves before God, and exercise strong faith, we should see the face of the Lord. And about midday the visions of my mind were opened, and the eyes of my understanding were enlightened, and I saw the form of a man, most lovely, the visage of his face was sound and fair as the sun. His hair a bright silver grey, curled in most majestic form, His eyes a keen penetrating blue, and the skin of his neck a most beautiful white and he was covered from the neck to the feet with a loose garment, pure white, whiter than any garment I have ever before seen. His countenance was most penetrating, and yet most lovely. And while I was endeavoring to comprehend the whole personage from head to feet it slipped from me, and the vision was closed up. But it left on my mind the impression of love, for months, that I never felt before to that degree".

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Zebedee Coltrin would go on to do many important things in the Lord's service and with his blessing, before Zebedee"s life would be finished and his body would be buried in the the quiet little community of Spanish Fork, Utah. Here is one of those things.

George Albert Smith, eighth President of the Church, was born on April 4, 1870. In 1903, at age thirty-three, he was called to the Twelve, and then became President of the Church in 1945. After six years in office, he passed away on his birthday, April 4, 1951.

George Albert Smith is often remembered for his kind and loving nature. A part of his life is not so well-known, however—and this part of his life illustrates an important principle about the holy apostleship.

At a young age George Albert received a blessing from the venerable patriarch, Zebedee Coltrin (an original member of the School of the Prophets), prophesying that George Albert would become “a mighty Apostle” and “a mighty prophet.” Both promises were fulfilled, of course, the first in 1903 and the second in 1945. But Brother Coltrin also prophesied that: “the angels of the Lord shall administer to you;” “thou shalt be wrapped in the visions of the heavens;” and “thou shalt become a mighty man of faith before the Lord, even like unto that of the brother of Jared.” See Robert and Susan McIntosh, eds., The Teachings of George Albert Smith, in Teachings of the Latter-day Prophets (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1996), xix.Some of this post is quoted from this article.https://latterdaysaintmag.com/what-a-pa ... e-prophet/