Nelson, the awesomest temple announcer

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Nelson, the awesomest temple announcer

Post by Lizzy60 »

President Nelson has announced the intention of building 100 temples since he was installed as president of the LDS church in 2018.

“ President Nelson has announced 100 new temples since he became leader of the Church in 2018. With this latest announcement, the Church now has 282 total temples worldwide in operation, under construction or renovation, or announced.”

So in four years, he has announced 100 temples. Have you wondered how the temple building is coming along? Yes, I know, covid and supply chains, et al. But how many temples today do not have a location (piece of land on which to build the announced temple)? One doesn’t need supply chains to buy a piece of land. Covid did not shut down real estate acquisitions.

So that number? The number of temples that currently do not have a building site announced?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/tem ... t?lang=eng

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Re: Nelson, the awesomest temple announcer

Post by Mindfields »

It's all about his legacy and his feud with Hinckley.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Symbolism over substance...

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Consider it a capital investment. 😉

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 7:16 am President Nelson has announced the intention of building 100 temples since he was installed as president of the LDS church in 2018.

“ President Nelson has announced 100 new temples since he became leader of the Church in 2018. With this latest announcement, the Church now has 282 total temples worldwide in operation, under construction or renovation, or announced.”

So in four years, he has announced 100 temples. Have you wondered how the temple building is coming along? Yes, I know, covid and supply chains, et al. But how many temples today do not have a location (piece of land on which to build the announced temple)? One doesn’t need supply chains to buy a piece of land. Covid did not shut down real estate acquisitions.

So that number? The number of temples that currently do not have a building site announced?

Hahahaha!

Words.

Are more important than deeds.

Setting goals.

Is more important than meeting them.

Empty suits, empty shoes.

Whited sepulchres.

White Flake

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Another interesting thing about the chart I posted above — about half of the temples without a location are also said to be “under construction.” I am guessing that could mean they have architects who are designing the buildings as well as people looking for property on which to build. Apparently “under construction” doesn’t mean there has been so much as a groundbreaking ceremony.

New definitions. So handy.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

ok I was wondering how to read that chart. ty

hahaehawhehawhahahaw

the temples will all be destroyed . . they should make sure everyone has a food supply with that money since the 12 are in charge of temporal salvation or in other words, making sure people have water and food

moses made water come from a rock . . .so are the prophets planning to create some great miracle to feed and water all of us . . and I might add . . the world?

I am not sure at this point that they really know what their identity is . . .

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

One of my friends lives in Cleveland. They’re stake is shrinking. They were told a few years ago by their stake prez that they would need 2 more stakes if they wanted a temple. It was just announced in April that they’re getting one. No growth required. Nelson is on a power trip it seems.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I honestly don't believe there are enough active members doing temple work to justify 100 temples that don't even have places identified yet, but the LDS church has the money and it keeps up the APPEARANCE that all is well and the work continues

Church growth is so stagnant and while they could always count on active families having a lot of kids and producing faithful offspring for steady, consistent growth of members with strong testimonies (steady, consistent growth of long-lasting members is rare from missionary conversion efforts), I think that is declining as well.

I come from an active family. My dad's a bishop. I served a mission. I believe in the Book of Mormon more than I ever have in my life (believing in the Book of Mormon's message of true prophetic gifts that come from real faith, the warnings of wickedness in high places, the prophesy of the end of the times of the Gentiles, all played a huge role in me reaching a conclusion that LDS church is less than it claims to be and that our society has a sword of justice hanging over it, becoming ready to fall in judgment on it), but I do not want a temple marriage (I follow the commandments aside from paying tithing, it isn't a worthiness thing) and I hope the addition of members to the LDS church through my family by way of offspring ends with myself (but if I have the blessing of marriage and children in the future I would kindly support my kids if they wanted to be LDS, I wouldn't argue or debate with them). Whether intentional or not, I think more active families are in similar situations where the children of families who have generational LDS membership tradition are not going to have families themselves that produce more offspring loyal to the truth claims of LDS leadership.

So you experience diminishing numbers of new members through active families for a variety of reasons (general trend of people taking longer to marry if they marry at all, general trend of divorce being a common occurrence, general trend on the conservative side of things with religious people keeping faith in gospel truth but losing faith in institutions, general trend on the liberal side of things of a lot of Mormons wishing the church was more progressive/woke so they leave over that)

And you experience diminishing returns on long-lasting new member conversion from the missionary program.

Growth slows down and eventually regression is the trend. But building all of these temples keeps up the appearance that things are good.
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on July 23rd, 2022, 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 7:16 am President Nelson has announced the intention of building 100 temples since he was installed as president of the LDS church in 2018.

This is false due to a poor concept of mathematics.

There have been 173 temples dedicated, 51 currently under construction, and 58 announced.

Out of the 58 announced temples that have not started construction, you have:

1 where a city has not been announced for that temple (Russia)
1 where we will probably not even know when it has even been dedicated (Shanghai PR China) as the temple will only be able to be used by local PR China members per Chinese law.
2 where the location is definitely known (Mexico City - Benemerito, Dubai UAE) yet temple engravings not yet released. In the case of Dubai, the area in question has to be unoccupied first. In the case of Benemerito, the land is already there but the question is where to build the temple so not as to heavily disrupt the MTC activities that happen there.
1 whose area of land was well known for multiple years before the temple was even announced (Bahia Blanca ARG) thanks to multiple local news articles talking about the land in question being purchased by the "Mormon Church."
3 groundbreakings announced
9 who have site announcements and temple renderings but no groundbreaking scheduled yet.

That leaves 41 temples, not quite 97. Not even half of 97.

Of all the 41 temples that are pending, the oldest ones announced were 4 years ago.

The Urdaneta temple in the Phillippines was announced in 2010 yet they are just now finishing that temple. Construction did not even start until 2018.

Earlier in history, Guayaquil Temple was announced in 1983 by Spencer W. Kimball. That temple didn't even get finished until 1996.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:16 am

There have been 173 temples dedicated, 51 currently under construction, and 58 announced.

1 where we will probably not even know when it has even been dedicated (Shanghai PR China) as the temple will only be able to be used by local PR China members per Chinese law.
2 where the location is definitely known (Mexico City - Benemerito, Dubai UAE) yet temple engravings not yet released. In the case of Dubai, the area in question has to be unoccupied first. In the case of Benemerito, the land is already there but the question is where to build the temple so not as to heavily disrupt the MTC activities that happen there.
1 whose area of land was well known for multiple years before the temple was even announced (Bahia Blanca ARG) thanks to multiple local news articles talking about the land in question being purchased by the "Mormon Church."
9 who have site announcements and temple renderings but no groundbreaking scheduled yet.

Of all the 41 temples that are pending, the oldest ones announced were 4 years ago.

The Urdaneta temple in the Phillippines was announced in 2010 yet they are just now finishing that temple. Construction did not even start until 2018.

Earlier in history, Guayaquil Temple was announced in 1983 by Spencer W. Kimball. That temple didn't even get finished until 1996.
So you're telling me that this whole thread has been fake news? Say it ain't so. Not on LDSFF.
Last edited by LDS Watchman on July 23rd, 2022, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:15 am I honestly don't believe there are enough active members doing temple work to justify 100 temples that don't even have places identified yet, but the LDS church has the money and it keeps up the APPEARANCE that all is well and the work continues
From a local point of view:

Puebla was announced in 2018, and one of the local former stake presidents of Puebla had a very close relationship with the municipal president of the city of Puebla and the governor of the state of Puebla at the time. The approval process was quite quick and the temple will probably be completed next year.

Querétaro has experienced a phenomenal level of Church growth over the past few years, as many members have moved there due to perceived better safety conditions than the rest of the country, coupled with a diversified economy, perhaps the most diversified city in all of Mexico.

Torreón is rather distant from existing temples in the country; nevertheless, there are five stakes in the metro area, plus several nearby districts and three other stakes that would be taken into the temple.

San Luis Potosi is smaller, however, it can grab stakes and districts from the surrounding regions.

Culiacán is perhaps the most dangerous city in the country with lots of ties to the narco gangs. However, the local members are quite resilient and there are five stakes in Sinaloa state and several districts, plus two stakes in Baja California Sur. The main reason for the temple is the fact that it is 12 hours one way to the nearest temple in Hermosillo.

There's still room for temples in the country; I predict that the next three will be called for Cancún (where there are 4 stakes in the immediate area), Chihuahua City (4 stakes in the immediate area plus a district), and either a third temple for Mexico City (to cover the southern stakes and to facilitate travel from Cuernavaca and Acapulco) or Cuernavaca.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

As I said in my second post, there are 97 temples listed as “no location available” but of those about half are listed as under construction, so they have architects and real estate people working to secure land and draw up plans. Still, fully one-third of LDS temples are only on paper, including most of those announced by RMN since 2018.

My local temple, Dallas, was completed 3 years after the first announcement. It is 40,000 square feet with lots of marble and granite. The newly announced Fort Worth temple, announced almost 10 months ago, has not even entered the under construction (on paper) phase.

It’s easy to say you’ll do something. Not so easy in the actual doing.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:31 am
Puebla was announced in 2018, and one of the local former stake presidents of Puebla had a very close relationship with the municipal president of the city of Puebla and the governor of the state of Puebla at the time. The approval process was quite quick and the temple will probably be completed next year.

Querétaro has experienced a phenomenal level of Church growth over the past few years, as many members have moved there due to perceived better safety conditions than the rest of the country, coupled with a diversified economy, perhaps the most diversified city in all of Mexico.

Torreón is rather distant from existing temples in the country; nevertheless, there are five stakes in the metro area, plus several nearby districts and three other stakes that would be taken into the temple.

San Luis Potosi is smaller, however, it can grab stakes and districts from the surrounding regions.

Culiacán is perhaps the most dangerous city in the country with lots of ties to the narco gangs. However, the local members are quite resilient and there are five stakes in Sinaloa state and several districts, plus two stakes in Baja California Sur. The main reason for the temple is the fact that it is 12 hours one way to the nearest temple in Hermosillo.

There's still room for temples in the country; I predict that the next three will be called for Cancún (where there are 4 stakes in the immediate area), Chihuahua City (4 stakes in the immediate area plus a district), and either a third temple for Mexico City (to cover the southern stakes and to facilitate travel from Cuernavaca and Acapulco) or Cuernavaca.
Well, I am happy for them that they will be able to receive something of religious value that will bring them closer to Christ and bless their families. I sincerely am happy for them that they will receive that

I recently spent some time with a father from a country in South America (I don't remember which one) who was able to become a US citizen and find a nice living for he and his family in Utah. He is a convert to the LDS church. I embraced him in positive conversation about God. I didn't say a single thing critical about the LDS church to him and I am grateful for how his life has been blessed by the LDS church. People have had their lives blessed by the Catholic church, by any number of Christian churches.

I don't want to take part in building up what I see to be a lie (the glory of a TEMPLE MARRIAGE!!! Sorry suckers, you won't be with your spouse after you die but I will! You and your spouse aren't married in the temple so I can make a reasonable conclusion that you live a life not as righteous as I and my spouse do. I guess you can't control yourself well enough to be worthy of this sort of a marriage!!!). I really don't want to budge on my desire to live a chaste life and not have a temple marriage, but in-person I am always kind and respectful to people who place a lot of faith and import on their dealings with LDS temples. I'll try and be more respectful about it online
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on July 23rd, 2022, 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

There were only 14 temples when I joined the church. Now, there are well on the way to 300.
I'm reluctant to take all the credit, but the connection is clearly inescapable.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:33 am
Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:31 am

Well, I am happy for them that they will be able to receive something of religious value that will bring them closer to Christ and bless their families. I sincerely am happy for them that they will receive that

I recently spent some time with a father from a country in South America (I don't remember which one) who was able to become a US citizen and find a nice living for he and his family in Utah. I embraced him in positive conversation about God. I didn't say a single thing critical about the LDS church to him and I am grateful for how his life has been blessed by the LDS church. People have had their lives blessed by the Catholic church, by any number of Christian churches.

I don't want to take part in building up what I see to be a lie (the glory of a TEMPLE MARRIAGE!!! Sorry suckers, you won't be with your spouse after you die but I will! I guess you can't control yourself well enough to be worthy of this sort of a marriage!!!) and I really don't want to budge on my desire to live a chaste life and not have a temple marriage, but in-person I am always kind and respectful to people who place a lot of faith and import on their dealings with LDS temples. I'll try and be more respectful about it online
Wait, so are you claiming that those who are married in the temple are not living chaste lives or was something lost in translation?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:32 am

As I said in my second post, there are 97 temples listed as “no location available” but of those about half are listed as under construction, so they have architects and real estate people working to secure land and draw up plans. Still, fully one-third of LDS temples are only on paper, including most of those announced by RMN since 2018.

My local temple, Dallas, was completed 3 years after the first announcement. It is 40,000 square feet with lots of marble and granite. The newly announced Fort Worth temple, announced almost 10 months ago, has not even entered the under construction (on paper) phase.

When a temple is remarked as being "under construction" like in the site, it should be surmised that land is clearly available and it is being built on. That's common sense and you should know better.

The reason why "No Location Available" is because the temple is not finished yet.

You have to be able to do a breakdown of the temples.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:15 am I honestly don't believe there are enough active members doing temple work to justify 100 temples that don't even have places identified yet, but the LDS church has the money and it keeps up the APPEARANCE that all is well and the work continues

Church growth is so stagnant and while they could always count on active families having a lot of kids and producing faithful offspring for steady, consistent growth of members with strong testimonies (steady, consistent growth of long-lasting members is rare from missionary conversion efforts), I think that is declining as well.

I come from an active family. My dad's a bishop. I served a mission. I believe in the Book of Mormon more than I ever have in my life (believing in the Book of Mormon's message of true prophetic gifts that come from real faith, the warnings of wickedness in high places, the prophesy of the end of the times of the Gentiles, all played a huge role in me reaching a conclusion that LDS church is less than it claims to be and that our society has a sword of justice hanging over it, becoming ready to fall in judgment on it), but I do not want a temple marriage (I follow the commandments aside from paying tithing, it isn't a worthiness thing) and I hope the addition of members to the LDS church through my family by way of offspring ends with myself (but if I have the blessing of marriage and children in the future I would kindly support my kids if they wanted to be LDS, I wouldn't argue or debate with them). Whether intentional or not, I think more active families are in similar situations where the children of families who have generational LDS membership tradition are not going to have families themselves that produce more offspring loyal to the truth claims of LDS leadership.

So you experience diminishing numbers of new members through active families for a variety of reasons (general trend of people taking longer to marry if they marry at all, general trend of divorce being a common occurrence, general trend on the conservative side of things with religious people keeping faith in gospel truth but losing faith in institutions, general trend on the liberal side of things of a lot of Mormons wishing the church was more progressive/woke so they leave over that)

And you experience diminishing returns on long-lasting new member conversion from the missionary program.

Growth slows down and eventually regression is the trend. But building all of these temples keeps up the appearance that things are good.
Perhaps.

If we build them.

They will come.

One virtue of time.

It will tell.

White Flake; not to be confused with Snow Flake; thems the other guys.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Subcomandante is right. This is fake news.

At first glance what Lizzy claims appears to be correct, but if we dig just a little bit deeper, we see that she's wrong.

Let's look at the first temple on the list where it says that it's under construction by no location is available.

That would be the Antofagasta Chile Temple.

If we click on the link for the temple, we see that groundbreaking was on Novemember 27, 2020. Which means that an actual site has been located.

And if you Google Antofagasta Chile Temple Construction photos, you can actually see that the temple construction is underway and progressing on an actual building site.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:48 am

When a temple is remarked as being "under construction" like in the site, it should be surmised that land is clearly available and it is being built on. That's common sense and you should know better.

The reason why "No Location Available" is because the temple is not finished yet.

I disagree about your assessment of what "no location available " always means. There are plenty of buildings in my area and the location of the building is available. It may not be open, but signs say things like "future location". So, clearly the location is available even while under construction.
Edit- However, some temples I looked up do say they have had a groundbreaking already but the location is unavailable. Strange way to classify it as they already know the location.
Last edited by CuriousThinker on July 23rd, 2022, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

Some would say 'the more temples the better'. Is it better to have lots of Temples so that no one is more than an hour's drive away, or is it better to have fewer Temples so that going to the Temple remains a unique and special experience? When I became a member in Canada, there was only the Temple in Cardston, Alberta. When I read the writing on it's wall that said "Temple of the Lord" it was something meaningfull. Now with so many Temples, it often feels like just a sign they stick on the exterior, like the sign on a meeting house saying "Visitors Welcomed". In an effort to put them everywhere, has the Church made the Temple experience less special?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I don't understand how they do it. Scotland has a bigger LDS population than some less remote countries getting temples.

They seem determined to kill off the social side of temples... meeting old friends from other wards is a positive aspect of going to the temple.

The temples in Russia and "Mainland" China are going nowhere.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

fake-news-meme-idlememe.jpg
fake-news-meme-idlememe.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

CuriousThinker wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 10:52 am
Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:48 am

I disagree about your assessment of what "no location available " means. There are plenty of buildings in my area and the location of the building is available. It may not be open, but signs say things like "future location". So, clearly the location is available even while under construction.
As people have pointed out, there has been groundbreaking already on some of the places that are listed as "no location available." OP is just not true.
Screenshot_20220723-105644.png
Screenshot_20220723-105644.png (19.63 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Screenshot_20220723-105623.png
Screenshot_20220723-105623.png (118.15 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

In the scriptures, each temple that was constructed, was done with the express commandment from the Lord. Are we now "going above and beyond" in our zeal to build temples that dot the earth? For what purpose? For the converts to remain in their own countries? Why? Did the Lord command the converts to stay where they are? I haven't read any scripture stating that.

I believe there never was supposed to be temples dotting the Earth. There are only supposed to be a few preparatory temples in the United States prior to the main temple in New Jerusalem. These are the only temples that we know were commanded to be built. All the others? Nothing.