Joseph Smith's photo discovered

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Re: Joseph Smith's photo discovered

Post by blitzinstripes »

Personally, I think the newly surfaced photo in the OP more closely resembles Hyrum, who had a much more square jaw line than Joseph as determined by close analysis of the death masks. Joseph had a narrower chin and slightly higher cheek bones. Also, the shape of the nose in the photo does not appear consistent with Joseph's death mask. Joseph's nose appeared to be more prominent.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
download (1).jpeg
download (1).jpeg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:06 am Personally, I think the newly surfaced photo in the OP more closely resembles Hyrum, who had a much more square jaw line than Joseph as determined by close analysis of the death masks. Joseph had a narrower chin and slightly higher cheek bones. Also, the shape of the nose in the photo does not appear consistent with Joseph's death mask. Joseph's nose appeared to be more prominent.
To me the nose in the photograph is actually something which WOULD point to the photograph actually being of Joseph.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I found this online this morning. Someone ran the newly discovered photo through an app to clean it up.
9nb4e41chzc91.jpg
9nb4e41chzc91.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

To me, the nose and jaw line/ cheek bones don't match the death mask. Just my opinion.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:15 am To me, the nose and jaw line/ cheek bones don't match the death mask. Just my opinion.
Joseph Smith III said that the death mask wasn’t entirely accurate.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Side by side
20220722_092258.jpg
20220722_092258.jpg (397.49 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

DJB wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 5:20 am
That IS Joseph Smith! I know for sure 100%
I'm curious why you think so? (honest question)

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

Artaxerxes wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:23 am Side by side 20220722_092258.jpg
Different nose, different lips, different cheeks, different eyes.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

The death mask does not necessarily represent a precise depiction. We just don't know what sort of trauma might have caused bumps or bruises by the time he fell out of that two story window. He might have suffered a slightly swollen lip, etc? That mask is only what he looked like at the time the cast was taken, not necessarily what he looked like the day before during supper, for example.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Attachments
Screenshot_20220722-133231.png
Screenshot_20220722-133231.png (818.86 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Screenshot_20220722-133307.png
Screenshot_20220722-133307.png (619.76 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

kittycat51 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 11:18 pm Joseph was only 38 when he died…I don’t know but that photo looks older than 38? 🤷🏻‍♀️ The one that blitzenstripes posted is more believable.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

E3B7422B-FCE5-4E8E-A070-0AEFC976A273.jpeg
E3B7422B-FCE5-4E8E-A070-0AEFC976A273.jpeg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Here's another great website with a ton of research for anyone who is interested.

http://silverepicent.com/photofound/pho ... lcome.html

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I will say that the latest photo candidate looks more like you would expect of a man who did physical work on a farm, in the elements, etc. in a time long before sunblock and facial creams. Too many portraits seem to show a baby faced, effeminate man. Not really what you expect of a man in that time period.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

SmallFarm wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 12:43 pm
kittycat51 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 11:18 pm Joseph was only 38 when he died…I don’t know but that photo looks older than 38? 🤷🏻‍♀️ The one that blitzenstripes posted is more believable.
Excellent! 😂 Ok you got me.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

A nice colorized version of this photo:
Source (Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CgU_2E2uXbl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Source (Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CgU_2E2uXbl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
294844788_719275292473797_1225636476393592256_n.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgU_2E2uXbl ... _copy_link

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 12:36 pm.
This is Alexander Hugh Holmes Stewart.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:13 am I found this online this morning. Someone ran the newly discovered photo through an app to clean it up. 9nb4e41chzc91.jpg
There's a sadness in this picture. It's kinda like the same sadness you would expect to see on someone who was just forced by an angel to introduce a false doctrine, but hey, maybe I'm seeing things.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"Mormon history is filled with conspiracy and lies"

could be one of mob leaders in carthage ..

"That mask is only what he looked like at the time the cast was taken .."

kinda remembers read the mask technician lds member did his best to reconstruct/restore despite much bruises, fractures ...
:arrow:

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Ksl ran the story, so it must be true....

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Too bad there isn't a person or organization out there with the ability to say something was true.

With the ability to see the past as it was, the present as it is, and the future as it might be ..

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"Russ Tanner
4 時間前(編集済み)-- - >> 4 hours ago
I think this picture is more likely to be Joseph than the daguerreotype that was recently found.

Debi's Dive into History
3 時間前
I agree! Thanks for the support, academic paper in the works, with some awesome, selfless people who have Phds and are smart :D
"
:arrow:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

marc wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:14 am The death mask does not necessarily represent a precise depiction. We just don't know what sort of trauma might have caused bumps or bruises by the time he fell out of that two story window. He might have suffered a slightly swollen lip, etc? That mask is only what he looked like at the time the cast was taken, not necessarily what he looked like the day before during supper, for example.
Death masks are different - gravity does part of ot - the lack of bloodflow etc. If you've ever seen a dead person you once knew well, they don't look like they did while alive.

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

marc wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:14 am The death mask does not necessarily represent a precise depiction. We just don't know what sort of trauma might have caused bumps or bruises by the time he fell out of that two story window. He might have suffered a slightly swollen lip, etc? That mask is only what he looked like at the time the cast was taken, not necessarily what he looked like the day before during supper, for example.
Joseph Smith's skull and death mask present the classic signs of the Le Forte fractures. The elongated face of the mask is evident, as we have stated, when compared to the JS photograph (see Fig. 33a & 33b). His fractured mandibular condyles, as illustrated in the skull drawings, give evidence of the force of the blow, or blows, Joseph received during his traumatic death. Even the widened area of the upper lip on the mask, as compared to the photo, can be explained by displacement of the Le Forte I fracture line. (see fig. 33c) The mask's profile image reveals the backward displacement of the chin, caused by the fractured mandible.
http://silverepicent.com/photofound/pho ... ences.html

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »