Joseph Smith's photo discovered

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Re: Joseph Smith's photo discovered

Post by Artaxerxes »

I'm skeptical.
AAZPJot.jpeg
AAZPJot.jpeg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Looks nothing like what contemporary paintings and the daguerreotype of him looks like.

But maybe it really is him.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I don’t buy it. This is part of efforts that will certainly come to attempt to undercut monogamist Joseph views. They had about 150 years where the overwhelming view of Joseph affirmed the official story to produce DNA linking offspring to him from polygamous marriages and they were unable to

If they produce DNA offspring “evidence” now that people are questioning the official narrative, you can be certain it’s lies to protect the establishment story

Edit: maybe it’s true but I still think lies to hurt his character will come in the future and I think Mormon history is filled with conspiracy and lies
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on July 21st, 2022, 9:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Contemporary paintings of Jesus Christ probably look less like Jesus Christ than the paintings of Joseph Smith look like Joseph Smith. Painters tend to romanticize their works.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 3:36 pm I don’t buy it. This is part of efforts that will certainly come to attempt to undercut monogamist Joseph views. They had about 150 years where the overwhelming view of Joseph affirmed the official story to produce DNA linking offspring to him from polygamous marriages abd they were unable to

If they produce DNA offspring “evidence” now that people are questioning the official narrative, you can be certain it’s lies to protect the establishment story

Edit: maybe it’s true but I still think lies to hurt his character will come in the future and I think Mormon history is filled with conspiracy and lies
I wonder if fewer and fewer people care about the establishment story. I'm willing to bet that pro polygamists want it to be just as true as anti polygamists want it to not be true. Personally speaking, I don't care one way or the other half as much as I care about my relationship with my Savior. The truth is, people don't really know one way or the other.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

It looks like the locket was believed to be in Emma’s possession until she passed. Emma continues to be the MVP of Mormonism. The power of love. Truth will come out on top.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Whoever the guy in the picture is, this is actually exactly what I was thinking as I read the article:
The few people who have seen the image so far have been struck by Smith’s eyes. “If you look at the picture, and those eyes, it’s mesmerizing,” Larsen said.

Mackay agreed. “I think for generations, people have wondered what Joseph looked like. Where was the charisma that people talk about? What was it about this man that caused people to follow him through incredible difficulty through the years? I think I can see through the eyes what might have induced those people to follow him. Parley P. Pratt and others talk about Joseph Smith’s eyes, his gaze, the way he could almost look right through you. And I think I see that.”
That guy has an extremely charismatic face. It's someone who seems like he'd be a natural-born leader.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 3:36 pm This is part of efforts that will certainly come to attempt to undercut monogamist Joseph views.
I'm not following you, what does a picture have to do with the polygamy debate?

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Pardon me.. but that looks like the Professor on Gilligan’s Island….

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

The side by side of the photo and drawing are very similar.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 21st, 2022, 5:34 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 3:36 pm This is part of efforts that will certainly come to attempt to undercut monogamist Joseph views.
I'm not following you, what does a picture have to do with the polygamy debate?
I’m weary of profound discoveries made after so long, being authentic and real rather than attempts to deceive and or protect stories for an exceptionally wealthy institution, particularly with the history of lies and contradicting stories in Mormon history

On the note of contradiction for example, this image is believed to come from a locket Emma kept until passing. Brigham says Emma tried to poison and murder Joseph. I believe love can get crazy but how can both of these things be true? How do you reconcile Brigham’s declaration that Emma tried to kill Joseph and Joseph rebuked her in front of a bunch of men and the belief this locket with a pic of Joseph is something that Emma kept with her till she passed?

There are so many contradicting stories, statements and agendas fighting for claims of authority in the mess of Mormon history and the modern day prophets, seers and revelators have proven they don’t have the sort of connection and relationship with God to communicate with him over authenticity concerns (see the fake Joseph Smith III blessing and fake salamander letter).

So I’m cautious of believing ground breaking material due to a past of lies, contradictions, conspiracy (in my opinion) and leaders proven to be less than they claim to be

I think this might be real though.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 6:11 pm How do you reconcile Brigham’s declaration that Emma tried to kill Joseph
I always err on the side of not believing those who contributed to the massacre at Mountain Meadows.

I think everyone believes she totally loved him, I guess I'm just not seeing how one side or the other would win any ground with a picture.

I, too, think it might be real and I can see the professor from Gilligan's Island as well, lol.
Last edited by Shawn Henry on July 22nd, 2022, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 21st, 2022, 6:52 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 6:11 pm How do you reconcile Brigham’s declaration that Emma tried to kill Joseph
I always err on the side of not believing those who contributed to the massacre at Mountain Meadows.

I think everyone believes she totally loved him, I guess I'm just seeing how one side or the other would win any ground with a picture.
It's what a fake picture that becomes accepted as truth suggests could be done with other fake information in the future. I think it is odd that after all this time this has been discovered, particularly in the matter it was discovered (nobody ever dared look into the locket until now? It says Emma gave it to a number of people to hold onto. No one thought 'hey, this is Joseph, we should let people see what he looked like'). I question its authenticity. If it's not real, then it's some sort of lie put out there. That is deceptive. If this isn't sincerely Joseph, you have institutions throwing it out there and telling you it's Joseph and their studies overwhelmingly suggest its authentic. Would future lies be released? Could those future lies seek to frustrate getting to the truth of Mormonism by building up the lies of Mormonism? That's all I'm getting at. If this picture is real, great. If it's a deceptive lie that people accept, what future lies sent out for deception may we come across?

Maybe I'm just paranoid

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

3 pics.jpg
3 pics.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
There are several purported photos of Joseph Smith. I've seen and pondered them all. I truly believe this one to be the only legitimate one and it has been extensively compared against his death mask and proven to be highly likely to be authentic.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

jose.jpg
jose.jpg (120.73 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

download.jpg
download.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

h_p wrote: July 21st, 2022, 5:27 pm Whoever the guy in the picture is, this is actually exactly what I was thinking as I read the article:
The few people who have seen the image so far have been struck by Smith’s eyes. “If you look at the picture, and those eyes, it’s mesmerizing,” Larsen said.

Mackay agreed. “I think for generations, people have wondered what Joseph looked like. Where was the charisma that people talk about? What was it about this man that caused people to follow him through incredible difficulty through the years? I think I can see through the eyes what might have induced those people to follow him. Parley P. Pratt and others talk about Joseph Smith’s eyes, his gaze, the way he could almost look right through you. And I think I see that.”
That guy has an extremely charismatic face. It's someone who seems like he'd be a natural-born leader.

I was visited by the Prophet in a dream in 1996 while serving as a missionary. I will.never forget his eyes. Deep blue and piercing. He literally gazed into the depths of my soul. The above photo that I shared, I believe to be legitimate.

BKColt
captain of 100

Post by BKColt »

The locket appears to have provenance, being in the hands of a direct descendant of Joseph Smith who grew up in the RLDS church and has since joined the COJCOLDS

During Covid pause, decided to pry open the broken locket anticipating to see a watch face.

Will withhold judgement until I read the Whitmer Journal analysis.

Guy looks more like an authority figure or charismatic gentleman than the dare-I-say effeminate looking or portly looking paintings we've seen in the past.

Interesting story, not faith shaking nor affirming, just interesting at this point.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:20 pm jose.jpg
I like this picture. What is its provenance?

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

endlessismyname wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:46 pm
blitzinstripes wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:20 pm jose.jpg
I like this picture. What is its provenance?
Apparently, it was found in a book in Brazil.
https://ldsanarchy.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... -for-help/

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Joseph was only 38 when he died…I don’t know but that photo looks older than 38? 🤷🏻‍♀️ The one that blitzenstripes posted is more believable.

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

That IS Joseph Smith! I know for sure 100%

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

Looks less a boy and more a man than we're accustomed to imagining. Honestly the guy in the picture looks older than 38. I think I'm skeptical. Other daguerreotypes and paintings don't match this picture. Though either way, he was clearly a handsome man with presence.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Here is a a helpful link of some in depth analysis of the death masks and the actual skulls of Joseph and Hyrum.

https://ensignpeakfoundation.org/wp-con ... -Smith.pdf