Evil Speaking of the "Lord's Anointed"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Evil Speaking of the "Lord's Anointed"

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

As part of the LDS temple experience, you "covenant" to not "speak evil" of the "Lord's anointed"... where did this come from? Can the Bible/BoM back it?

This seems to be tied to the LDS policy on apostasy... which is that you are in apostasy if you: 1) Repeatedly and publicly oppose the church, its policies, its doctrines, or its leaders. (source)

The entire LDS system is built on man-worship and unrighteous dominion.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Evil Speaking of the "Lord's Anointed"

It doesn't really matter if what the supposed "anointed" do is right or wrong either, because "the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them." - Dallin Oaks

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm As part of the LDS temple experience, you "covenant" to not "speak evil" of the "Lord's anointed"... where did this come from? Can the Bible/BoM back it?

This seems to be tied to the LDS policy on apostasy... which is that you are in apostasy if you: 1) Repeatedly and publicly oppose the church, its policies, its doctrines, or its leaders. (source)

I wasn't aware that there were any "Lord's anointed." It is my understanding that the Q15 get their status by living the longest.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:12 pm It doesn't really matter if what the supposed "anointed" do is right or wrong either, because "the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them." - Dallin Oaks
So, Dallin himself uses the word 'supposed', how revealing. Of course, he knows firsthand no one anointed him.

Oh wait....I know the apologetic response. They are anointed on the other side of the veil. It's just a symbolic anointing.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Fred wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:55 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm As part of the LDS temple experience, you "covenant" to not "speak evil" of the "Lord's anointed"... where did this come from? Can the Bible/BoM back it?

I wasn't aware that there were any "Lord's anointed." It is my understanding that the Q15 get their status by living the longest.
That’s also a relevant conversation.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Amos 6
6 That drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the chief ointments: but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:03 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:12 pm It doesn't really matter if what the supposed "anointed" do is right or wrong either, because "the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them." - Dallin Oaks
So, Dallin himself uses the word 'supposed', how revealing. Of course, he knows firsthand no one anointed him.

Oh wait....I know the apologetic response. They are anointed on the other side of the veil. It's just a symbolic anointing.
Only the last statement in quotes is from Dallin, the rest is my sarcasm.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

If the Lord's anointing is on anyone, it is his pattern to give that person a revelation which they then give to his people. The people then read what God has to say about that prophet's calling.

Joseph was called by revelation. Oliver, Sydney, and Frederick G, all called by revelation. Any and all members of the First Presidency, Hyrum and even William Law, all called by a handwritten revelation viewable by any who wanted to see it.

That's how you know the anointing is on that person, the Lord himself called them.

Sorry Q12, the 3 witnesses called you as apostles only and that in 1835, a year after Christ removed his name from the church.

762X545
captain of 100

Post by 762X545 »

Aren't we all announced once we go through the temple?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:10 pm Only the last statement in quotes is from Dallin, the rest is my sarcasm.
Yes I see the starting quote now. I guess I'll put my glasses on, lol.

Nonetheless, he knows he has never been anointed.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:19 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:10 pm Only the last statement in quotes is from Dallin, the rest is my sarcasm.

Maybe by his wife during the second “anointing”. Too bad that doesn’t count.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

"They" can never be wrong.

But, NO we definitely DON'T believe in infallibility.

If the Spirit, or even Christ himself, tells you something contrary to the "brethren", YOU are still wrong, and THEY are right.

But hey, we TOTALLY want you to pray about what they say and gain your own testimony and witness of the truth of it.

Unless you are told something different, in which case you are an evil apostate.

But DON'T pray about if you should go on a mission. Dumb question. And God really hates it when we ask dumb questions. We already TOLD you to go on a mission, and you absolutely committed to doing that when you were in CTR 8's. No backpedaling now.

In which case, praying for a witness of what the "brethren" teach over the pulpit is probably a bad idea now, too. You're just supposed to obey them. Don't actually pray for answers of what they already "told us" is true. Stop thinking that God can speak directly to you. The "brethren" will tell you everything you need to know.

And stop reading your scriptures, too. They will tell you what's in them and what it means. Hand them in to the ward clerks on Sunday.

OMG, we've become Catholics. 😮

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Oak's didn't say that it doesn't matter if what the "anointed" do is right or wrong.

As usual you are twisting words to try and set up a strawman to knock down in order to grind your ax against the church.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:19 pm

He's been anointed.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Oak's didn't say that it doesn't matter if what the "anointed" do is right or wrong.

As usual you are twisting words to try and set up a strawman to knock down in order to grind your ax against the church.
Like I told Shawn, Oaks's statement is in quotations.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:41 pm

Yes, I know.

Your interpretation of his words to mean that he was saying that it doesn't matter if they do right or wrong is the usual twisting and strawman set up.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Nov. 8, 1857 - Heber C. Kimball, SLC, Journal of Discourses 6:32

“…WAKE UP! WAKE UP, YE ELDERS OF ISRAEL, AND LIVE TO GOD and none else; and learn to do as you are told, both old and young: learn to do as you are told for the future. And when you are taking a position, if you do not know that you are right, do not take it—I mean independently. But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I think the precedent was set well before Oaks.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:03 pm I think the precedent was set well before Oaks.
Yeah, Jesus Christ said it about Joseph Smith.

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Yes, I know.

Your interpretation of his words to mean that he was saying that it doesn't matter if they do right or wrong is the usual twisting and strawman set up.
Well of course. That's because they can do no wrong. Hence no apologies.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Alexander wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Yes, I know.

Well of course. That's because they can do no wrong. Hence no apologies.
Again, that's not what he said.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Alexander wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm Well of course. That's because they can do no wrong. Hence no apologies.
They speak for the Lord, and the Lord can do no wrong. ;)

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:03 pm I think the precedent was set well before Oaks.

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.
"Prest. J. Smith rose, read the 14th Chap. of Ezekiel— said the Lord had declar’d by the prophet that the people should each one stand for himself and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church— that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls— app[l]ied it to the present state of the church of Latter-Day Saints— said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall— that they were depending on the prophet hence were darkened in their minds from neglect of themselves"

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Alexander wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm Well of course. That's because they can do no wrong. Hence no apologies.
They speak for the Lord, and the Lord can do no wrong. ;)
And they ALWAYS speak for the Lord. :)

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm

It should be noted that Joseph Smith was an actual prophet. It does make a difference.