Evil Speaking of the "Lord's Anointed"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Evil Speaking of the "Lord's Anointed"

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm Yeah, Jesus Christ said it about Joseph Smith.

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
First, this doesn't trump Christ's teaching in 2 Nephi 28:31 to verify all things through the spirit. Hence why it explicitly says, "as he receiveth them"...

Second, you're missing what Christ also said about Joseph in D&C 6:

18 Therefore be diligent; stand by my servant Joseph, faithfully, in whatsoever difficult circumstances he may be for the word’s sake.
19 Admonish him in his faults, and also receive admonition of him. Be patient; be sober; be temperate; have patience, faith, hope and charity.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Alexander wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:03 pm I think the precedent was set well before Oaks.
Yeah, Jesus Christ said it about Joseph Smith.

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.
"Prest. J. Smith rose, read the 14th Chap. of Ezekiel— said the Lord had declar’d by the prophet that the people should each one stand for himself and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church— that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls— app[l]ied it to the present state of the church of Latter-Day Saints— said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall— that they were depending on the prophet hence were darkened in their minds from neglect of themselves"
That quote is taken out of context. What he's saying is that the people all need to do their part and not rely on him do everything for them.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:15 pm
Alexander wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:03 pm I think the precedent was set well before Oaks.

6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.
"Prest. J. Smith rose, read the 14th Chap. of Ezekiel— said the Lord had declar’d by the prophet that the people should each one stand for himself and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church— that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls— app[l]ied it to the present state of the church of Latter-Day Saints— said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall— that they were depending on the prophet hence were darkened in their minds from neglect of themselves"
That quote is taken out of context. What he's saying is that the people all need to do their part and not rely on him do everything for them.
Please show me exactly what additional context supports your interpretation.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Fred wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:12 pm

It should be noted that Joseph Smith was an actual prophet. It does make a difference.
The point is that the precedent was set by Christ himself with the first president and apostle in the church. Whether or not this applied to later church presidents and apostles is a seperate discussion.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:07 pm As part of the LDS temple experience, you "covenant" to not "speak evil" of the "Lord's anointed"... where did this come from? Can the Bible/BoM back it?

This seems to be tied to the LDS policy on apostasy... which is that you are in apostasy if you: 1) Repeatedly and publicly oppose the church, its policies, its doctrines, or its leaders. (source)

The entire LDS system is built on man-worship and unrighteous dominion.
So I guess the true question is "who does the Lord consider HIS anointed"?

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I have no issue at all with that being in the temple ceremony. I don't think we should destroy the reputation of those who the Lord has anointed.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

D&C 121 says “cursed be all those who lift the heel against mine anointed”. It has its roots in JS’ revelations. I also strongly agree with Serragon’s above statement. We should do everything to exalt the reputation of those who God has actually anointed.

The only problem is that a lot of people run around claiming that their favourite religious leaders are the Lord’s anointed, when chances are that they are probably not.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:14 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm Yeah, Jesus Christ said it about Joseph Smith.

First, this doesn't trump Christ's teaching in 2 Nephi 28:31 to verify all things through the spirit. Hence why it explicitly says, "as he receiveth them"...

Second, you're missing what Christ also said about Joseph in D&C 6:

18 Therefore be diligent; stand by my servant Joseph, faithfully, in whatsoever difficult circumstances he may be for the word’s sake.
19 Admonish him in his faults, and also receive admonition of him. Be patient; be sober; be temperate; have patience, faith, hope and charity.
Your right, this statement doesn't trump 2 Nephi 28:31. Neither does 2 Nephi 28:31 trump D&C 6. The Lord said both.

Since your interpretation of 2 Nephi 28:31 isn't compatible with D&C 6, then this means that your interpretation is wrong.

And btw, the instruction to admonish Joseph in his faults was given specifically to Oliver Cowdery, before either of them were ordained apostles by Peter, James, and John and a year before the church was organized. It wasn't given to the entire church and it didn't in any way mean that the Saints should criticize Joseph and reject whatever he said that they didn't personally like.

So this isn't some blanket instruction you can use to justify ignoring whatever Joseph says that you don't like.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:58 pm Your right, this statement doesn't trump 2 Nephi 28:31. Neither does 2 Nephi 28:31 trump D&C 6. The Lord said both.

Since your interpretation of 2 Nephi 28:31 isn't compatible with D&C 6, then this means that your interpretation is wrong.
What are you talking about? All 3 are saying the same thing. My interpretation is based on that fact, how isn’t it compatible?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Luke wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:48 pm D&C 121 says “cursed be all those who lift the heel against mine anointed”. It has its roots in JS’ revelations. I also strongly agree with Serragon’s above statement. We should do everything to exalt the reputation of those who God has actually anointed.
Which means we shouldn't spread the lie that he was a hypocrite.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:03 pm
Luke wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:48 pm D&C 121 says “cursed be all those who lift the heel against mine anointed”. It has its roots in JS’ revelations. I also strongly agree with Serragon’s above statement. We should do everything to exalt the reputation of those who God has actually anointed.
Exactly! If Joseph (who truly was the Lord's anointed) fervently testified that He NEVER taught nor practiced polygamy, and had but ONE wife....To call him a LIAR is the WORST form of evil speaking.

And yet today's leaders and most of the members today do JUST THAT. They openly call the Lord's anointed prophet of the restoration and the head of the dispensation of the fullness of time a LIAR and a HYPOCRITE. And then they shrug it off.

But don't you dare say mean things about RMN.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

blitzinstripes wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:21 pm
Exactly! If Joseph (who truly was the Lord's anointed) fervently testified that He NEVER taught nor practiced polygamy, and had but ONE wife....To call him a LIAR is the WORST form of evil speaking.

And yet today's leaders and most of the members today do JUST THAT. They openly call the Lord's anointed prophet of the restoration and the head of the dispensation of the fullness of time a LIAR and a HYPOCRITE. And then they shrug it off.

But don't you dare say mean things about RMN.
The majority of them are like I was not long ago. I was conditioned to believe that "something" happened, but the BoM was true and the Lord was guiding this church. I fully admit that I was ignorant and believed a lie.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

On Joseph, there is too much conflicting info for anyone to really know. It is quite reasonable for intelligent people to come to
Either conclusion as can easily be seen on the many threads here debating it.

As to now there is still too much confusion. In the end we have to Be responsible for ourselves. Find the Lord! Do what he says for you to do. What ever that may be. Then it doesn’t really matter what rmn or oaks or renlund or whoever else says. You have your directions from the source.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

bbrown wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:52 pm On Joseph, there is too much conflicting info for anyone to really know. It is quite reasonable for intelligent people to come to

As to now there is still too much confusion. In the end we have to Be responsible for ourselves. Find the Lord! Do what he says for you to do. What ever that may be. Then it doesn’t really matter what rmn or oaks or renlund or whoever else says. You have your directions from the source.
It sure would be awesome to have some prophets ask Jesus about it and have Him clear it all up for us... if only...

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:57 pm
bbrown wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:52 pm On Joseph, there is too much conflicting info for anyone to really know. It is quite reasonable for intelligent people to come to

It sure would be awesome to have some prophets ask Jesus about it and have Him clear it all up for us... if only...
Yes. In fact, I bet that among the wise LDSFF there could be assembled a questionaire. Much like when the Q15 answer questions from teenagers. Only these questions would be tougher. We would invite them to put it on TV. Maybe devote a session of Conference to it. Even Facebook live. True transparency. They could even have the questions a week in advance so there would be no surprises. Gordon was on TV. But I don't think he had the questions in advance. We would be nice. Some of Gordon's answers do not jive with RMN's story. But that's OK. RMN would have his chance to straighten everything out.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

I Samuel 24:6 And he said unto his men, The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.
7 So David stayed his servants with these words, and suffered them not to rise against Saul. But Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way.

I Samuel 26:8 Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once, and I will not smite him the second time.
9 And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord’s anointed, and be guiltless?
10 David said furthermore, As the Lord liveth, the Lord shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish.
11 The Lord forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the Lord’s anointed: but, I pray thee, take thou now the spear that is at his bolster, and the

D&C 121:16 Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.

Acts 23:2 And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.
3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God’s high priest?
5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men

Jude 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

D&C 42:27 Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm.

D&C 136:23 Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one of another

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Seems reasonable to me.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: July 19th, 2022, 7:31 pm I Samuel 24:6 And he said unto his men, The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.
7 So David stayed his servants with these words, and suffered them not to rise against Saul. But Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way.

I Samuel 26:8 Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once, and I will not smite him the second time.
9 And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord’s anointed, and be guiltless?
10 David said furthermore, As the Lord liveth, the Lord shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish.
11 The Lord forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the Lord’s anointed: but, I pray thee, take thou now the spear that is at his bolster, and the

D&C 121:16 Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.

Acts 23:2 And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.
3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God’s high priest?
5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men

Jude 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

D&C 42:27 Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm.

D&C 136:23 Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one of another

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Seems reasonable to me.
I did a keyword search this morning and read through all of these. None of them support speaking evil as a temple covenant.

Let’s say the idea could be legit for a covenant though… why aren’t we going with what is said in a few of these verses?? Namely that we should speak evil of NO MAN…? Why is it that the LDS have taken it to mean “the Lord’s anointed”, who they set themselves up as?

There’s no way around it, this ideology exists because they wish to place themselves above you and I.

I’d be curious to get your thoughts on the handbook section I mention in the OP. Do you believe that anyone who repeatedly and publicly opposes any church doctrine, policy, or leader is in apostasy?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

I think that when a man says that he speaks for God and then proceeds to tell lie after lie and urges people to play Russian Roulette with the clot shot and calls the deadly game a godsend that he is in apostacy.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:01 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:58 pm Your right, this statement doesn't trump 2 Nephi 28:31. Neither does 2 Nephi 28:31 trump D&C 6. The Lord said both.

What are you talking about? All 3 are saying the same thing. My interpretation is based on that fact, how isn’t it compatible?
Again, the Lord's instruction to admonish Joseph in his faults was given specifically to Oliver Cowdery, not to the general church membership and certainly not specifically to you. Oliver was given this instruction before Joseph was a the first apostle and president of the church, which wouldn't be organized for another year. And nowhere did the Lord equate admonishing Joseph in his faults with rejecting his revelations and teachings.

It's not some loophole to reject any words of Joseph Smith that don't fit your desired narrative.

And listening to the words of God as delivered by his servants is not trusting in the arm of flesh. Trusting in the arm of flesh is listening to the voices who go against what God's servants say and leaning on your own understanding.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Again, the Lord's instruction to admonish Joseph in his faults was given specifically to Oliver Cowdery, not to the general church membership and certainly not specifically to you. Oliver was given this instruction before Joseph was a the first apostle and president of the church, which wouldn't be organized for another year. And nowhere did the Lord equate admonishing Joseph in his faults with rejecting his revelations and teachings.

It's not some loophole to reject any words of Joseph Smith that don't fit your desired narrative.

And listening to the words of God as delivered by his servants is not trusting in the arm of flesh. Trusting in the arm of flesh is listening to the voices who go against what God's servants say and leaning on your own understanding.
Rejecting Joseph’s revelations has nothing to do with what we are discussing in this thread.

Listening to any man without a confirmation of the spirit is trusting in the arm of flesh.

Convincing your membership that they must covenant to never speak against you and then supporting it in your handbook of instruction on the section covering apostasy and excommunication, is unrighteous dominion.

Furthermore, the men you hold up as prophets of God are not. Of that I am certain. You would do well to follow the instruction in scripture. Here’s a good contrasting example for ya:
But, hours of meaningless discussion has proven that you and I will never see eye to eye. I’ve said what I want to here, and won’t be replying further. Thanks for the chat.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 10:57 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Rejecting Joseph’s revelations has nothing to do with what we are discussing in this thread.

Listening to any man without a confirmation of the spirit is trusting in the arm of flesh.

Convincing your membership that they must covenant to never speak against you and then supporting it in your handbook of instruction on the section covering apostasy and excommunication, is unrighteous dominion.

Furthermore, the men you hold up as prophets of God are not. Of that I am certain. You would do well to follow the instruction in scripture. Here’s a good contrasting example for ya:
But, hours of meaningless discussion has proven that you and I will never see eye to eye. I’ve said what I want to here, and won’t be replying further. Thanks for the chat.
There's no contradiction in the two quotes from your graphic.

Whether or not the brethren today are legitimate prophets is a seperate discussion. The principle of obeying the words of God as delivered by his servants and not leaning on your own understanding and the words of dissenting voices is a true principle.

You made covenants with God in his holy house which you are knowingly and willfully breaking. I urge you to repent.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 11:12 pm I urge you to repent.
😘

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 11:16 pm
Atticus wrote: July 19th, 2022, 11:12 pm I urge you to repent.
😘
I thought you weren't going to respond anymore. Couldn't help yourself I guess.

In any event, I meant what I said. I urge you to repent. If you continue to kick against the pricks things will end up very badly for you.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I don’t think he was a hypocrite.

But knowing what I know from the Lord about CPM, if Joseph was not a polygamist then my respect for him would diminish.

My belief on this point is from the Lord, not what Joseph said or did.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Luke wrote: July 20th, 2022, 1:34 am
I don’t think he was a hypocrite.

But knowing what I know from the Lord about CPM, if Joseph was not a polygamist then my respect for him would diminish.

My belief on this point is from the Lord, not what Joseph said or did.
Of course you don’t THINK he was. But what you claim he did is the epitome of hypocrisy. And your opinion is null and void on this aspect of Joseph’s life. According to the evidence claimed by many, including you, he was one of the most extreme hypocrites. It’s the textbook definition of hypocrisy if you actually believe the erroneous narrative, regardless of your feelings on the matter.

Definition of hypocrite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

You couldn’t get a better definition for what the Brighamite church claims happened. Literally a false appearance of virtue or religion to claim that polygamy was an abomination and a crime in one breathe, and then to live the exact opposite in the next.