Southern Prepper

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Southern Prepper

Post by Lizzy60 »

Someone posted one of this man’s videos on another thread a few days ago, and I’ve been watching his updates.

Today was the BEST one so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qw01EQzpXs

Why we prep.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Southern Prepper

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 6:23 pm Someone posted one of this man’s videos on another thread a few days ago, and I’ve been watching his updates.

Why we prep.
“Long-term” prepping. Good stuff. :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 6:23 pm Someone posted one of this man’s videos on another thread a few days ago, and I’ve been watching his updates.

Why we prep.
It was me. He just made another video about half hour ago.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I saw this at the little feed store by our country cottage:
As we all enjoy this summer keep one thing in mind..........
2022 hay prices
⭐️Fuel is still rising
⭐️Fertilizer costs are up 70%
⭐️And more than 25% of hay producers have sold equipment and let land go to CRP.
⭐️Your small squares that are $4-$9 currently will be $10-$18 this year.
⭐️Your $45-$60 round bales will $70-$100+

If you already live in an area where hay is $12-$20+ for small squares be ready for $25-$40 a bale prices

Ladies and gentlemen if your not financially ready for this or you don't have room to store a full Winters worth of hay you need to begin planning now if you want to have feed for your livestock next winter.

I personally know of 3 hay suppliers who have already sold all their 2022 crop and I know of 2 that are done, fertilizer costs caused bankruptcy.

Plan ahead even if that means deciding what livestock to sell this summer!
If ranchers are forced to sell off their cattle, this will be one more nail in the shortage coffin. (Just a heads up)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Momma J wrote: July 6th, 2022, 11:58 am If ranchers are forced to sell off their cattle
A cattle sell off could be a great momentary advantage for us if we can take advantage of it. A large sell off would flood the market and prices would drop very low. We then step in and buy enough to completely stock our freezers.

If the sell off is spread out though, I imagine prices wouldn't drop much.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:43 pm
Momma J wrote: July 6th, 2022, 11:58 am If ranchers are forced to sell off their cattle
A cattle sell off could be a great momentary advantage for us if we can take advantage of it. A large sell off would flood the market and prices would drop very low. We then step in and buy enough to completely stock our freezers.

A better long-term plan would be to adjust to eating less meat. It should be used sparingly, almost as a condiment. Many people don’t eat meat at all and they are often very healthy.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Here's some I like to watch along a similar vein:

Poplar Preparedness, might have to watch on YT:
Economic Ninja: Not the most technical (sometimes has guests who are) but his instincts are uncannily accurate.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm Many people don’t eat meat at all and they are often very healthy.
That's the image vegans promote, but it's just not true. The truth is, they are just as likely to die prematurely - usually from cardiovascular issues - as anyone. The fact is, it's very difficult to obtain certain required nutrients from non-animal sources, like Omega-3 fatty acids, B12, iron, Vitamin A (very little beta carotene is actually converted for active use as vitamin A), and various amino acids. Without O-3 fatty acids, inflammation is likely to be high, even olive oil isn't likely to provide enough, and is nowhere as good as fish oil.

I'll admit, I haven't yet figured out the concept behind low meat in the WoW. The Bible encourages people to eat lamb and fish, the former was part of the celebrated feasts. There's nothing better than fish for brain development. Egg yolks are incredible sources for fat-soluble and B vitamins and are the most anabolic foods we can eat.

TPTB are pushing us away from animal protein toward soy and insect proteins, which tells me everything I need to know about what is good and what isn't. If they were pushing a healthy green agenda, they would at least promote spirulina, which actually provides a full-spectrum of required amino acids and easily digestible protein. I recommend people grab that for food storage since it will last a while and the price is still reasonable (I just bought another bag). Chlorophyll is definitely good for the body.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm A better long-term plan would be to adjust to eating less meat. It should be used sparingly
My plan is the long-term sparingly plan. Once the meat shortage and food shortage hit full force along with transportation cost quadrupling or the government rationing fuel. meat will be completely unaffordable and not even available when the time comes.

This is why I will be eating it sparingly, because I can ration what I have stored.

Those who have taken your advice won't have the option of buying any anywhere and won't be eating it at all.

PS I reserve the right to employ my interpretation of Section 89, not someone else's. :D

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

gruden2.0 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 3:40 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm Many people don’t eat meat at all and they are often very healthy.
That's the image vegans promote, but it's just not true. The truth is, they are just as likely to die prematurely - usually from cardiovascular issues - as anyone. The fact is, it's very difficult to obtain certain required nutrients from non-animal sources, like Omega-3 fatty acids, B12, iron, Vitamin A (very little beta carotene is actually converted for active use as vitamin A), and various amino acids. Without O-3 fatty acids, inflammation is likely to be high, even olive oil isn't likely to provide enough, and is nowhere as good as fish oil.

I'll admit, I haven't yet figured out the concept behind low meat in the WoW. The Bible encourages people to eat lamb and fish, the former was part of the celebrated feasts. There's nothing better than fish for brain development. Egg yolks are incredible sources for fat-soluble and B vitamins and are the most anabolic foods we can eat.

TPTB are pushing us away from animal protein toward soy and insect proteins, which tells me everything I need to know about what is good and what isn't. If they were pushing a healthy green agenda, they would at least promote spirulina, which actually provides a full-spectrum of required amino acids and easily digestible protein. I recommend people grab that for food storage since it will last a while and the price is still reasonable (I just bought another bag). Chlorophyll is definitely good for the body.
I never said VEGAN. I said less meat. I never said anything about food from animal sources. Personally, I eat a considerable amount of egg and dairy products. I have a lot of canned fish in my food storage. I also have canned and freeze-dried meat products (pork and beef) but a lot more rice, beans, lentils, and freeze-dried fruits and veggies.

Thanks for the head’s up on the spirulina!

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

That's the image vegans promote, but it's just not true.
Do you know what else isn't true and doesn't help? The notorious comma added to verse 13 decades later. A single comma that completely changes the verse to mean you should only eat meat in "times of winter, or of cold, or famine."

Take out the satanic inspired comma and it reads that you should eat meat at all times of the season, which is congruent with the previous verse that says these domestic animals are ordained for our use.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:07 pm
Do you know what else isn't true and doesn't help? The notorious comma added to verse 13 decades later. A single comma that completely changes the verse to mean you should only eat meat in "times of winter, or of cold, or famine."

Take out the satanic inspired comma and it reads that you should eat meat at all times of the season, which is congruent with the previous verse that says these domestic animals are ordained for our use.
Again, I never said anything about vegans. I never said meat should only be eaten in times of winter, cold, or famine. I said it may be helpful to learn to eat meat sparingly. I also believe it would be advantageous to learn to live without processed food, to eat more locally grown food, including meat, eggs and dairy products, and to learn to grow some of your own food. My ideas are not an interpretation of Sec 89 but rather a common sense plan to adjust when food production and distribution falls apart.

Please quit implying that I promoted any sort of vegan or insect-based diet whatsoever. I would NEVER promote that. We have wild boar, harvested by my husband on our land, in our freezer. I am not opposed to eating meat. I am definitely not vegan.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:16 pm Please quit implying that I promoted any sort of vegan or insect-based diet whatsoever.
I did not. I didn't even type the word vegan. I'm sorry you saw it that way. I simply added an untruth to what someone else said was untrue.

I do think we have quite different definitions of sparingly though, and that's ok. :D

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:16 pm Please quit implying that I promoted any sort of vegan or insect-based diet whatsoever. I would NEVER promote that. We have wild boar, harvested by my husband on our land, in our freezer. I am not opposed to eating meat. I am definitely not vegan.
Lizzy, I never meant to imply that, it's obvious you aren't vegan or you would've said so 100 times already in your posts. Shawn Henry and I were simply replying to a statement you made. A myth is being promoted that avoiding eating animal-based food is healthier which isn't really supported by anything substantial. That's all. No offense intended. :)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

gruden2.0 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:47 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:16 pm Please quit implying that I promoted any sort of vegan or insect-based diet whatsoever. I would NEVER promote that. We have wild boar, harvested by my husband on our land, in our freezer. I am not opposed to eating meat. I am definitely not vegan.
Lizzy, I never meant to imply that, it's obvious you aren't vegan or you would've said so 100 times already in your posts. Shawn Henry and I were simply replying to a statement you made. A myth is being promoted that avoiding eating animal-based food is healthier which isn't really supported by anything substantial. That's all. No offense intended. :)
Thanks to both of you for clearing this up. You are both awesome! Yes, if I was vegan I’m sure I would be preaching it every chance I got. I was once wandering the hallway during sacrament meeting and saw the empty classroom of one of the Primary teachers. I knew she was vegan, and she was teaching her young class all about it that day, as her WOW lesson. I know, because she had charts, photos of food substitutes for a vegan diet.

If things go south, food distribution-wise, vegans as well as heavy meat-eaters and heavy processed-food eaters may be the first to really feel the pain. One prepper said it would be a good idea to start now getting used to a blander diet. But I tend to think, maybe I should enjoy my favorite BBQ place more often before I don’t have the chance any more!

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

No this wouldn't be great in any scenario...once people sell their herds and the animals are slaughtered...less herds.....less meat for the market.....prices are low for farmers with production costs high and high costs for consumers meaning the middle man (processors) are taking the cream......plus wait times to have your own beef processed at your local butcher are one year out here in Washington state...there isn't going to be lower prices for consumers...thats the plan....

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Again, I never said anything about vegans. I never said meat should only be eaten in times of winter, cold, or famine. I said it may be helpful to learn to eat meat sparingly. I also believe it would be advantageous to learn to live without processed food, to eat more locally grown food, including meat, eggs and dairy products, and to learn to grow some of your own food. My ideas are not an interpretation of Sec 89 but rather a common sense plan to adjust when food production and distribution falls apart.

Please quit implying that I promoted any sort of vegan or insect-based diet whatsoever. I would NEVER promote that. We have wild boar, harvested by my husband on our land, in our freezer. I am not opposed to eating meat. I am definitely not vegan.
lol. as long as you don't say
Let them eat bugs!
:)

I was a veggie for about 2 years as a teen because of a girl I liked that was one. Went in for my missionary physical, doctor called a few days later (yes, doctors used to call you in the old days...) - anyway, he said, "you're cholesterol is pretty high - you should cut back on the red meat..."

I was like, "I'm a vegetarian - I don't eat red meat."

He was confused - "Ok, let me check again, and call you back." He ended up saying "it must run in your family..."

That stuck with me for a few years - then I was reading a report that said there was a cover up - back in the 60's, the sugar industry buried a report that showed that sugar irritated your blood veins, and the body would produce more cholesterol as a defense mechanism against the sugar, blah, blah blah. I used to drink a lot of milkshakes as a veggie - I think that was what my problem was.

But anyway, yes, you can live without meat - refried beans would be your best friend if you had to do that - they contain a lot of protein. So would eggs. Chickens are THE BEST thing the average, "non-farmer" person can hedge with to prepare for the coming food shortages, IMO. They give you meat, eggs, fertilizer, pest control - they pretty much take care of themselves once you get them in a routine. If you do it right, you don't even have to buy feed for them. (yes, really).

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm

A better long-term plan would be to adjust to eating less meat. It should be used sparingly, almost as a condiment. Many people don’t eat meat at all and they are often very healthy.
That last paragraph is just what Bill gates is telling us!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

BroJones wrote: July 8th, 2022, 1:15 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm

That last paragraph is just what Bill gates is telling us!
well.....almost. He wants you to eat lab-grown meat.

And I quit being a veggie when I got my mission call to NZ, and then a Tongan girl I liked invited me over to her family's BBQ. And they had an umu (pig cooked in the ground). She said I wouldn't get very far if I refused meat from a Tongan in NZ. After that, I went back to being an omnivore.

But it doesn't stop there - that veggie girl I liked? yeah - she got really tough - she played on a female football team and lifted weights. She's scary, actually.

not saying what happened to her is a result of being a veggie, but I've heard others losing hair, aging quicker, having joint issues, and personality changes and other issues. There are some b vitamins you cannot get from vegetables alone - your body is made to handle meat - if you go totally vegan, you'll have to supplement: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7- ... n-omega-3s, which is complicated if you're in a "shtf" / survival situation. Meat is the easiest way to get all the nutrition you need. That's why D&C 89 allows for "winter or times of famine".

D&C 59 backs it up, saying "all things" (including meat) are meant to be used "with thanksgiving".

Now we might be heading for "winter or times of famine" with the drought, plus all the burned down food processing plants, China owning most of our meat production, Bill Gates and his frankenstein meat labs, the Ukraine crisis, having a dumbocrat in the WH who needs a war to boost his ratings.

I think my advice would be: get healthy (lose some weight, probably). Then learn how to make rabbit stew (or squirrel stew). Everyone thinks when SHTF they are going to go out and kill a moose and eat like kings all winter. Yeah, you and 2 million other Utahns.... Reality is that "big game" will get scarce - fast. Best to get away from crowds, build you a flock of chickens, or learn how to trap small game, cuz that's all that'll be left.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Maybe mistaken... but hardly satanic.