Prepping Fatigue

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Prepping Fatigue

Post by Pazooka »

It’s real...the prepping fatigue. Mr P and I have always been “preppers.” We tightened ship and got even more serious in 2020 and just never stopped. We have tried to plan for so many contingencies, like being prepared to backpack into the nearby mountains, if necessary. (Sidenote: I just discovered a local Utah company called Klymit that has lightweight sleeping bags, pads, etc - we have been really impressed by their stuff...and their bargain bin).

There’s still so much to do! Anyone else getting prepping fatigue???

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: Prepping Fatigue

Post by gruden2.0 »

I got a bit fatigued after starting in earnest after the 2008 economic problems and doing that a few years. I didn't do much for several years, then in late 2019 I got the premonition I needed to start up again, which was fortuitous because I was able to get a number of things at a decent price that are either too expensive or difficult to find now. I mean, a #10 can of powdered egg is $70+ now, if it's even in stock. It was about half that in 2019 and easy to get.

Right now I'm just looking to fill holes or what I have little of. I took my bike in for repairs and a tune-up so I would have something ready to ride (plus I'm buying a rack and a box carrier for it to haul stuff) when gas becomes too expensive or scarce. I just let my intuition guide me. I may look into the Klymit store, another cold weather lightweight sleeping bag would probably be good as well.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

gruden2.0 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 9:04 pm I got a bit fatigued after starting in earnest after the 2008 economic problems and doing that a few years. I didn't do much for several years, then in late 2019 I got the premonition I needed to start up again, which was fortuitous because I was able to get a number of things at a decent price that are either too expensive or difficult to find now. I mean, a #10 can of powdered egg is $70+ now, if it's even in stock. It was about half that in 2019 and easy to get.

Right now I'm just looking to fill holes or what I have little of. I took my bike in for repairs and a tune-up so I would have something ready to ride (plus I'm buying a rack and a box carrier for it to haul stuff) when gas becomes too expensive or scarce. I just let my intuition guide me. I may look into the Klymit store, another cold weather lightweight sleeping bag would probably be good as well.
You are so on the level - - that is coming up on my list, too: a hauling system for our bike. The Asians have some really great systems I need to look into.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I think I have waiting fatigue.

Waiting for more neighbors to wake up.
Waiting for the next bad thing to happen.
Waiting to start working together on something meaningful.
Waiting for divine help

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

How I envision Mr and Mrs Pazooka.....
GkkCYahk3eIZU_8qtRBcmTGHyRiec27XnIAVBGr6HCs.jpg
GkkCYahk3eIZU_8qtRBcmTGHyRiec27XnIAVBGr6HCs.jpg (255.64 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
That's a compliment, btw.

The hardest thing for me is the not knowing WHEN. I generally know what kinds of scenarios I may be prepping for, but I get weary of the waiting.

It's not that I desire to see terrible things unfold. I want what's coming AFTER. I want the millennium and peace, and righteousness.

I'm very weary of this world.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

blitzinstripes wrote: June 30th, 2022, 4:27 am How I envision Mr and Mrs Pazooka.....

The hardest thing for me is the not knowing WHEN. I generally know what kinds of scenarios I may be prepping for, but I get weary of the waiting.

It's not that I desire to see terrible things unfold. I want what's coming AFTER. I want the millennium and peace, and righteousness.

I am tempted to use that pic as our Christmas card this year - haha :)

Same feelings here.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Pazooka wrote: June 30th, 2022, 6:02 am
blitzinstripes wrote: June 30th, 2022, 4:27 am How I envision Mr and Mrs Pazooka.....

I am tempted to use that pic as our Christmas card this year - haha :)

Same feelings here.
:lol: I look at the picture and automatically think, "Those shoes will not protect you from snake bites!"

We go through periods of fatigue. My husband has only got on board this last 18 months or so. I could usually convince him to bulk up our supplies before hurricane season, but he is in full survival mode right now.

At the same time, he does not want to buy much because of current prices. Always a struggle at our house, but I have worked on it off and on for years.... so we have a fairly decent supply for various scenarios. My main concern now is being trapped far from home as Poppa J is not as mobile and becomes discouraged easily.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Been working on this cabin for 6 years now. Got overwhelmed thinking about the drain/sewer system, and couldn't find good resources, so I kept sanding logs, trying to avoid plunging into plumbing. Wife "smelled a rat" (she could tell I was holding off, lol) and was like, "get on it! You got this!" so I did, and it seems to be moving along now - started plumbing the main bathroom last night, almost done with the master bath. haven't started the kitchen, but it's only 1 drain.

But yeah, the fatigue is real. I'm motivated by the idea of moving in this year and owning this thing debt-free, and not having to do a 60 mile round trip every day to work on it. I can almost taste it. :)

They say Americans can only stand 4 years of war. I think that timeframe applies to a lot of things.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

mudflap wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:17 am Been working on this cabin for 6 years now. Got overwhelmed thinking about the drain/sewer system, and couldn't find good resources, so I kept sanding logs, trying to avoid plunging into plumbing. Wife "smelled a rat" (she could tell I was holding off, lol) and was like, "get on it! You got this!" so I did, and it seems to be moving along now - started plumbing the main bathroom last night, almost done with the master bath. haven't started the kitchen, but it's only 1 drain.

But yeah, the fatigue is real. I'm motivated by the idea of moving in this year and owning this thing debt-free, and not having to do a 60 mile round trip every day to work on it. I can almost taste it. :)

They say Americans can only stand 4 years of war. I think that timeframe applies to a lot of things.
I'm jealous. Congrats on seeing your dream come to fruition. I had a brief opportunity to own my dream cabin and I missed it. I'm just not in a good position now to do it, and I'm about 7-8 years out from putting my pre-retirement plan into motion.

But I'm really worried that I don't have 7-8 years. Right now it feels like it's always a daily question of- Is today the day that society crumbles?

I have multiple bug out contingencies, but they are mostly dependent on primitive level camping in isolated/ hidden areas in vast public land that I have already identified as suitable.

We can stay at our rural home (ideally) for some amount of time if it goes full blown SHTF, but we're still too close to urban areas for my liking, if it gets really bad. I really wish I already had an off grid cabin prepared, but for now I have to make do with what I have. ☹️

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

blitzinstripes wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:51 am
mudflap wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:17 am Been working on this cabin for 6 years now. Got overwhelmed thinking about the drain/sewer system, and couldn't find good resources, so I kept sanding logs, trying to avoid plunging into plumbing. Wife "smelled a rat" (she could tell I was holding off, lol) and was like, "get on it! You got this!" so I did, and it seems to be moving along now - started plumbing the main bathroom last night, almost done with the master bath. haven't started the kitchen, but it's only 1 drain.

I'm jealous. Congrats on seeing your dream come to fruition. I had a brief opportunity to own my dream cabin and I missed it. I'm just not in a good position now to do it, and I'm about 7-8 years out from putting my pre-retirement plan into motion.

But I'm really worried that I don't have 7-8 years. Right now it feels like it's always a daily question of- Is today the day that society crumbles?

I have multiple bug out contingencies, but they are mostly dependent on primitive level camping in isolated/ hidden areas in vast public land that I have already identified as suitable.

We can stay at our rural home (ideally) for some amount of time if it goes full blown SHTF, but we're still too close to urban areas for my liking, if it gets really bad. I really wish I already had an off grid cabin prepared, but for now I have to make do with what I have. ☹️
yeah, we're too close, IMO as well. I figure I'll rely on knowledge more than supplies if SHTF happens. Wife asked me, "could you walk away from this home if it came to that?"

"yeah," I said, "But then I'd just build another one..."

There's almost no where to run anymore. Angels and God are what's going to save us at this point. Still, our cabin is going to be our primary residence; I work from home these days so I can live anywhere; the neighborhood and town is pretty close knit. I think they've accepted me because of the jaw-dropping log home I'm building. lol. former mayor and police chief told me, "I've got your 6" if it comes to that after meeting me the first time. I think we'll be fine for a while.

As for society crumbling - recession survey showing a consensus on it starting not before 2023, so that's a little breathing room:
just when does the recession begin?

To answer that question, we go to the latest survey of Wall Street professionals conducted by DB's Jim Reid whose preliminary results were released today, and which finds that "the risk of a US recession by the end of 2023 has only been building in recent months with 88% of you now thinking it happens by the end of 2023 up from 78% last month." Interestingly still only 17% believe the recession starts this year, but this is up from 13% last month and virtually 0 in February, so as Reid notes, "the market narrative of a more imminent recession has moved quicker than the responses." Also worth noting: just 8% now expect no recession until 2024, down from a near majority (45%) in February.
~ https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/when- ... eet-thinks

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Most of us would give our last morsel to our kids. Anybody have kids that aren't prepared? Like my one son in law that financed a new truck, toy hauler and toys for just under $200,000 and hasn't got 3 days of food on hand. I told the dumb sh!t that if I had his salary I would be doubling it every year instead of getting buried in debt.

Why do parents allow their children to attend a school that does not teach foolproof investments?

Give a guy a $50 an hour job and what does he do? Spend it on toys that will be worth nearly nothing by the time they are paid for.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

tribrac wrote: June 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm I think I have waiting fatigue.

Waiting for more neighbors to wake up.
Waiting for the next bad thing to happen.
Waiting to start working together on something meaningful.
Waiting for divine help
I’ve been waiting for both awesome and awful things to happen since 2010! We are getting some of the awful, and I’m still awaiting the “great and marvelous work”.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I made a meme as "moral support" for preppers:

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

...nice buying opportunities right now and getting better by the day as prices plummet...but it will likely be a short term gap before the wheels come off the bus...

hoping for a 3rd explosion to disrupt the natural gas flow out of here to Europe...mentioned at church about the fortune of the 1st one last Sunday only to see in the afternoon that the 2nd hit...keep things more reasonable here heating wise as we go into the finale

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

I just finished building my compound turbo F450 Cummins. I’m not worried about the collapse, I think about the poor souls that will be dead from the civil war.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Bronco73idi wrote: July 14th, 2022, 1:53 am I just finished building my compound turbo F450 Cummins.
Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif
giphy (8).gif (560.99 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Cruiserdude wrote: July 14th, 2022, 7:07 am
Bronco73idi wrote: July 14th, 2022, 1:53 am I just finished building my compound turbo F450 Cummins.
Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif
In my stall at work, I’m working on a mint 1988 FJ62 with 113K on the clock. I had a triple locked 96 and now have a 95 FZJ80 that I might drop a 175hp Cummins into it because it’s a salvage title.

Decision decisions lol

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Bronco73idi wrote: July 14th, 2022, 12:41 pm
Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif
In my stall at work, I’m working on a mint 1988 FJ62 with 113K on the clock. I had a triple locked 96 and now have a 95 FZJ80 that I might drop a 175hp Cummins into it because it’s a salvage title.

Decision decisions lol
tumblr_lxg3yz8nGM1qmw2fdo1_500.gif
tumblr_lxg3yz8nGM1qmw2fdo1_500.gif (499.5 KiB) Viewed 788 times

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif

Decision decisions lol
I love the 62s, classy classy look with 'modern' options lol but the 80 series is my favorite of what we get here in the states. Hard core off road with coil springs all 4 corners and solid axles front and rear AND plenty of creature comforts
unloaded my 96 triple locked on 4 inch springs on 40 inch Michelin xmls.... That was a lot of fun IN Colorado and Southern Utah. Took that thing all over the western desert camping. Gonna be selling my 98 100 series with rear locker here in a couple weeks. But they've been fun for last couple decades. On to new stage of life😎😇

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif

Decision decisions lol
That Cummins engine in that rig would be about as sweet as it gets😎😎

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Cruiserdude wrote: July 14th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif

Decision decisions lol
It would, like most older rigs with sunroof and leather the full interior needs to be redone.

My current off-road rig is a 97 4dr explorer with a 5.0 and all custom 3 link front suspension connected to a BJ dana 60, 5.13 an a Atlas 4spd transfer case turning 40’s. 40’s fit so well on the fzj80 compared to anything else.

I did Moab in 2019 and Rubicon/Fordyce 2021. We are thinking Moab again in 2023.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Bronco73idi wrote: July 14th, 2022, 8:19 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: July 14th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Very Niiice!
giphy (8).gif

Decision decisions lol
It would, like most older rigs with sunroof and leather the full interior needs to be redone.

My current off-road rig is a 97 4dr explorer with a 5.0 and all custom 3 link front suspension connected to a BJ dana 60, 5.13 an a Atlas 4spd transfer case turning 40’s. 40’s fit so well on the fzj80 compared to anything else.

I did Moab in 2019 and Rubicon/Fordyce 2021. We are thinking Moab again in 2023.
That sounds like one bad to the bone wheeler hermano 😎👍

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

...sounds cool as long as there is engine oil and fuel available...

...of course we happen to know about the prophesy regarding the chariots ceasing to operate...and it looks to be real time in 4-6 months...see how the chips fall...

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Jason wrote: July 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm ...sounds cool as long as there is engine oil and fuel available...

...of course we happen to know about the prophesy regarding the chariots ceasing to operate...and it looks to be real time in 4-6 months...see how the chips fall...
If he uses an older diesel, fuel is much easier to come by than you would think. Any of the following will work old vegetable oil, old motor oil, old transmission fluid, peanut oil, etc. You obviously have to filter it well and some items are a challenge in cold weather, but there are workarounds. You could even brew your own bio diesel. Gas vehicles are much more challenging. Although, if it's old enough, you could plumb in a wood gasifier set up.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Mala_Suerte wrote: July 29th, 2022, 2:47 pm
Jason wrote: July 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm ...sounds cool as long as there is engine oil and fuel available...

If he uses an older diesel, fuel is much easier to come by than you would think. Any of the following will work old vegetable oil, old motor oil, old transmission fluid, peanut oil, etc. You obviously have to filter it well and some items are a challenge in cold weather, but there are workarounds. You could even brew your own bio diesel. Gas vehicles are much more challenging. Although, if it's old enough, you could plumb in a wood gasifier set up.
so true and good reminder. run old engine oil as fuel in diesel...filtered first although know folks who just relied on their fuel filters...much more power