DIY Handcart

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

DIY Handcart

Post by Pazooka »

I keep hitting a wall while searching DIY handcart ideas - - something like a wheelbarrow sized fiberglass basket with bicycle tires. Does anyone know if you can buy something like that already made on the prepper scene? If not, I’m determined to make my own.

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Re: DIY Handcart

Post by Peeps »

Pazooka wrote: June 15th, 2022, 3:19 pm I keep hitting a wall while searching DIY handcart ideas - - something like a wheelbarrow sized fiberglass basket with bicycle tires. Does anyone know if you can buy something like that already made on the prepper scene? If not, I’m determined to make my own.
Don't get offended, I used to have horses, lol, so this manure cart sounds like it might be what you had in mind. You can put a lot of shhi..stuff in it :D

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

My husband built something similar to this. He started out with a used, in good condition, baby jogging stroller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q35HJ5jlWYc

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Having built a few myself and having been a part of close to a dozen Pioneer treks, I have to ask....what in the world do you want to do with a handcart? 😁😁😁

Seriously, though. Even in a post apocalyptic world, there will be better options than a handcart. Pack mules and horses would be infinitely better options.

I struggle to think of a future scenario in which I would have to move a large load of possessions over a great distance by handcart. In the wake of a large scale catastrophe, fatality event, there should exist many vacated building and homes to temporarily shelter and scavenge for helpful items along the way to whatever destination I would be going, as well as the ability to rebuild when I get there. My plan is to travel as lightly and quickly as possible. Handcarts are large, heavy, slow, exhaust an enormous amount of energy and would undoubtedly attract a lot of attention. Bicycles, canoes (if feasible), or on foot with backpacks seem much better options to me .

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

blitzinstripes wrote: June 15th, 2022, 8:32 pm Having built a few myself and having been a part of close to a dozen Pioneer treks, I have to ask....what in the world do you want to do with a handcart? 😁😁😁

Seriously, though. Even in a post apocalyptic world, there will be better options than a handcart. Pack mules and horses would be infinitely better options.

I struggle to think of a future scenario in which I would have to move a large load of possessions over a great distance by handcart. In the wake of a large scale catastrophe, fatality event, there should exist many vacated building and homes to temporarily shelter and scavenge for helpful items along the way to whatever destination I would be going, as well as the ability to rebuild when I get there. My plan is to travel as lightly and quickly as possible. Handcarts are large, heavy, slow, exhaust an enormous amount of energy and would undoubtedly attract a lot of attention. Bicycles, canoes (if feasible), or on foot with backpacks seem much better options to me .
I like to have options. Mass migration scenario. Plus, I could use it for gardening.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Peeps wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:09 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 15th, 2022, 3:19 pm I keep hitting a wall while searching DIY handcart ideas - - something like a wheelbarrow sized fiberglass basket with bicycle tires. Does anyone know if you can buy something like that already made on the prepper scene? If not, I’m determined to make my own.
Don't get offended, I used to have horses, lol, so this manure cart sounds like it might be what you had in mind. You can put a lot of shhi..stuff in it :D

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Not offended. I’ve hauled so much crap over the years for the sake of my garden that I earned the title “Manure Maiden.”

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Handcarts are amazing. I can't think of anything available that hauls as much at so little cost and expense of energy. I'd modify it a little, like adding a kickstand in front. Better wheels would be the main improvement.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

...not to mention if you need it to float for a river crossing.

If you watch a lot of apocalyptic movies, you know bridges and interstates are going to be death zones. If you were to attempt a long-distance migration, there's going to be a lot of off road portions of your trip - places even your city-fied SUV is going to complain about.

Options are good.

1. 4x4 vehicle, preferably diesel.
2. good solid bicycles for everyone in your family, with paniers or racks. avoid full suspension bikes or even front shocks - they rob your energy, and "more moving parts" usually means "more problems".
3. backpacks for everyone in the family
4. if you have option 1, you can put the handcart on top of the vehicle on the roof rack. Then, if you have to abandon the vehicle, you can put all your gear in the handcart. If you have bikes, you can put them on a bike rack on the back of the vehicle. Bonus would be having a way to attach the handcart to the bikes and tow it.

options are good.

You'd be surprised how far you can travel on a bicycle. A friend and I loaded our bikes with about 110 lbs of gear, and rode from Bountiful to Lake Powell in 3 days as a "high school graduation trip". We were doing about 100 miles a day - took us 3 days. camped on the side of the road, even slept on the front porch of a LDS chapel in Green River. Great times....

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Look at deer carts.
Much better balanced than garden carts or wheel barrows. Less strain on back. Right height so no stooping over.

Yes a cart is a great idea. Rather than a wagon.
“Getting away light, with a backpack” doesn’t work out here in the west. Try crossing 50 miles of desert highway on foot with only the water one can carry in a back pack.

A deer cart can be rigged into a bicycle trailer too.
09C81605-6402-4904-AC4D-8533135D1B88.jpeg
09C81605-6402-4904-AC4D-8533135D1B88.jpeg (342.92 KiB) Viewed 3300 times

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I'm not sure why you want one, but last I checked, you can buy a hardcart for under a thousand dollars. Otherwise, you just build a box and put it on the axle. You can buy industrial axles and then just build the box to suit. The deer cart looks like a good base also. I'm pretty sure I would rather have a four wheeled cart than a hand cart though.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

I built a multi-task cart so I could use it even if the end doesn't come. On the front, I fabricated a receiver like what a truck has before you slide in the hitch. I can slide in a straight hitch with a coupler that goes on a four wheeler or truck ball or a hand bar that comes up high for people to push with, and also a hitch that angles up and goes onto a ball on a mountain bike. The bike mount turned out better than I thought it would and I can go down the road with it. If it were loaded heavy, I would need to put brakes on the trailer or walk it with a few people helping.

I used motorcycle tires and welded up a frame with lightweight 1 1/4" box steel. If interested, I could take photos. It's looking pretty hammered after 7 yrs of service, but it works perfectly. Hauls about 600lbs. In an end times scenario and no fuel, I'd put it on the bicycle ball, it really stabilizes the load. On decent roads, it will pull well, loaded. On hills, people could push on handle bars and from behind. B.o.b.'s on the trailer and necessaries. If things get hectic, you abandon the trailer, until then, slow and easy with gear that you can survive day to day on instead of trying to go like hell with a light pack, suffering every day for lack of gear and supplies.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Number 3 might be a good option; you might be able to modify it to more specifically meet your needs.

https://housegrail.com/diy-garden-cart-plans/

You might want to experiment with the axel location, which will also depend on what you intend to haul. Balancing the load to the axel means you won't waste energy lifting (or holding down) the handle, all of your energy used for moving it.

Also, bigger wheels will make traversing rough terrain easier, the trade-off being that the bed is higher and so more work to load/unload - definitely worth it if you intend to use it as a handcart and not always on a road.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

FrankOne wrote: July 8th, 2022, 11:41 am I built a multi-task cart so I could use it even if the end doesn't come. On the front, I fabricated a receiver like what a truck has before you slide in the hitch. I can slide in a straight hitch with a coupler that goes on a four wheeler or truck ball or a hand bar that comes up high for people to push with, and also a hitch that angles up and goes onto a ball on a mountain bike. The bike mount turned out better than I thought it would and I can go down the road with it. If it were loaded heavy, I would need to put brakes on the trailer or walk it with a few people helping.

I used motorcycle tires and welded up a frame with lightweight 1 1/4" box steel. If interested, I could take photos. It's looking pretty hammered after 7 yrs of service, but it works perfectly. Hauls about 600lbs. In an end times scenario and no fuel, I'd put it on the bicycle ball, it really stabilizes the load. On decent roads, it will pull well, loaded. On hills, people could push on handle bars and from behind. B.o.b.'s on the trailer and necessaries. If things get hectic, you abandon the trailer, until then, slow and easy with gear that you can survive day to day on instead of trying to go like hell with a light pack, suffering every day for lack of gear and supplies.
That sounds pretty cool - would love to see pics

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Pazooka wrote: July 8th, 2022, 6:53 pm
FrankOne wrote: July 8th, 2022, 11:41 am I built a multi-task cart so I could use it even if the end doesn't come. On the front, I fabricated a receiver like what a truck has before you slide in the hitch. I can slide in a straight hitch with a coupler that goes on a four wheeler or truck ball or a hand bar that comes up high for people to push with, and also a hitch that angles up and goes onto a ball on a mountain bike. The bike mount turned out better than I thought it would and I can go down the road with it. If it were loaded heavy, I would need to put brakes on the trailer or walk it with a few people helping.

i went to look for my bike hitch, I was unsuccessful, it's been a few years since I hooked that one up, but I'll get some pics of the trailer and the bike etc.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

https://imgur.com/a/csgiAsl
https://imgur.com/a/TQsWhGa

here ya go
I never did build a pull bar to put in the receiver because I believe the best way is to use the bike as a 'third wheel' and push the bike and/or push from the back. I still might rethink it because in extreme situations, alot of brute force and changing of angles/positions would be advantageous. If you are serious about building one, let me know, I'm in S. UT , you can pm me for more info etc. This design is surprisingly light. if i do another one, I will find the very biggest motorcycle tires possible. Bigger diameter smooths out rough terrain.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

FrankOne wrote: July 9th, 2022, 4:16 pm

here ya go
I never did build a pull bar to put in the receiver because I believe the best way is to use the bike as a 'third wheel' and push the bike and/or push from the back. I still might rethink it because in extreme situations, alot of brute force and changing of angles/positions would be advantageous. If you are serious about building one, let me know, I'm in S. UT , you can pm me for more info etc. This design is surprisingly light. if i do another one, I will find the very biggest motorcycle tires possible. Bigger diameter smooths out rough terrain.
Very nice! Yes, I want some big wheels - didn’t think about motorcycle tires. I love it. I’m trying to go as lightweight as possible - that’s why I was thinking fiberglass. But you did some quality work there.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Pazooka wrote: July 9th, 2022, 5:36 pm

here ya go
Very nice! Yes, I want some big wheels - didn’t think about motorcycle tires. I love it. I’m trying to go as lightweight as possible - that’s why I was thinking fiberglass. But you did some quality work there.
I chose motorcycle tires because i've run bike tires out here and goat head thorns go right thru them. Also, as far as strength and durability, motorcycle tires and wheels are at least 10 x stronger. If I were going to really go to the extreme of being lightweight, I'd go with aluminum frame and deck with side mounts, like my trailer has, where I can slide in small diameter aluminum pipe to hold in the cargo. Doing the side poles, I think would be sufficient instead of building heavy sides. A canvas tarp over the load as well and it wouldn't move. I can't weld aluminum , so I'd have to screw/bolt it or have a friend weld it up. Welding aluminum well is an art as far as I am concerned.

an interesting tidbit, if you haven't seen them. Plastic liners can be bought for bicycle tires which go between the tube and tire which may prevent thorn punctures. I've bought them for my bikes, but i haven't tried them out yet. "Slime" is a brand for them, they're bright green.

good luck on your project. If you want some free help, let me know. I have a friend in Cedar city as well which can weld anything and loves to share time with those of like mind.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Pazooka wrote: July 9th, 2022, 5:36 pm

here ya go
Looking at that manure cart above, .... that would be super simple to modify as a handcart. I have a small trailer with those same types of wheels and they are heavy duty. I personally don't like solid tires, but they may be the best thing as far as I know. For the inflatables, Slip in those plastic liners in the tires and you'd likely be good to go for a smaller cart.

I would fabricate a bike mount like mine , that would be a cool set up. You would have to cut off and change the lower stand loops no matter what.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

These have become fashionable in some middle class quarters.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Niemand wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:30 am Image

I wouldn’t take it off-roading, but for the city…heck yeah

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Pazooka wrote: July 10th, 2022, 8:41 am
Niemand wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:30 am Image

I wouldn’t take it off-roading, but for the city…heck yeah
I can't imagine they go very fast, but they could outpace someone on foot and you could walk with them too.