Thoughts on daily repentance

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Thoughts on daily repentance

Post by Mamabear »

Repentance is for everyone, anytime. But I have had to reteach myself and family that repentance is not needed daily if you don’t sin every day. Some of us do, some of us don’t. So when the leaders like Nelson said in the past for EVERYONE to repent daily, that isn’t supported by the scriptures.

“And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32

Also, some can achieve perfection in this life. Noah and others did. This enables us to come into the presence of the Father and the Son in this life.

“And thus Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord; for Noah was a just man, and perfect in his generation; and he walked with God, as did also his three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.“ Moses 8:27

“Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.“ 3 Nephi 48

“All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and they to whom the Son will reveal himself; they shall see the Father also.“ Matthew 11:27
Last edited by Mamabear on June 8th, 2022, 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Re: Daily repentance isn’t necessary for perfection

Post by John Tavner »

Mamabear wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:11 pm Repentance is for everyone, anytime. But I have had to reteach myself and family that repentance is not needed daily if you don’t sin every day. Some of us do, some of us don’t. So when the leaders like Nelson said in the past to repent daily, they do not understand the doctrine.

“And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Also, some can achieve perfection in this life. Noah and others did. This enables us to come into the presence of the Father and the Son in this life.

“And thus Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord; for Noah was a just man, and perfect in his generation; and he walked with God, as did also his three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.“ Moses 8:27

“Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.“ 3 Nephi 48

“All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and they to whom the Son will reveal himself; they shall see the Father also.“ Matthew 11:27
I think under the traditional sense of repentance as taught in the church it is not needed, but in the sense the scriptures and God wants it in our lives I believe we should have a different perspective.

Repentance means turning towards God. We should turn towards him in all things (I say this as someone who is failing in this often, so there is no accusation, just something we should do). In turning towards God we can become more like Him. This can lead to a change of mind (another meaning of repentance). By constantly keeping our face towards God, He can instruct us in how to do things better, if we trust in Him and trust in our relationship with Him, that we are Sons and Daughters of the Most High.

That said, I absolutely agree taht we are and should be perfect (whole) as commanded. I think it is a balance between recognizing how we are seen from the eyes of God, accepting htat grace and mercy and also seeking more so we can look like Him daily by turning towards Him (repentance) and "knowing" Him. Though we should never be sin conscious i.e. always think we are sinning, because we aren't and we shouldn't ever think that we can never look like God, because we can. It is just remembering to keep our face towards Him and allowing Him to mold us more and more into His image.

Good thoughts though and scriptures!

762X545
captain of 100

Post by 762X545 »

I believe that you are correct. I have a close friend who is an absolutely wonderful, caring woman. If someone is in need she is the first one there. I have never met a more compassionate person. But she always feels like she is falling short of where she should be. The truth is that she is a mile ahead of the rest of us. I have never heard her utter a negative word about another person. In my mind she is doing all she can possibly can. I used to love Pres. Hinkley when he would reinforce during conference how well the members were doing. And honestly, I believe him. Are there places to improve? Of course. But to expect perfection from vastly imperfect people is a fools errand. Most people do their best to provide for their families, to help their neighbors when they can. To fulfill their callings. I feel that we need to stop with the constant negativity and cease focusing where you or I may. Be falling short.

randyps
captain of 100

Post by randyps »

Mamabear wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:11 pm Repentance is for everyone, anytime. But I have had to reteach myself and family that repentance is not needed daily if you don’t sin every day. Some of us do, some of us don’t. So when the leaders like Nelson said in the past to repent daily, they do not understand the doctrine.
The fact that some people would contradict themselves in their own sentences leads me to believe that they dont understand what they are saying.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

randyps wrote: June 7th, 2022, 4:26 pm
The fact that some people would contradict themselves in their own sentences leads me to believe that they dont understand what they are saying.
You can think whatever you want about me. I meant those that don’t sin every day don’t need to repent.

randyps
captain of 100

Post by randyps »

Mamabear wrote: June 7th, 2022, 4:41 pm
You can think whatever you want about me. I meant those that don’t sin every day don’t need to repent.
Pres Nelson said to repent daily...whats wrong with that? You just said that some people sin daily proving Pres Nelsons statement correct.
If you don't sin daily then disregard his statement as not being applicable for you but still applies to others.

The natural man is an enemy to God, every day you wake up you are in sin, how you decide to translate that into your own spiritual progression is up to you. Repent daily is great advice.

762X545
captain of 100

Post by 762X545 »

randyps wrote: June 7th, 2022, 5:00 pm
Pres Nelson said to repent daily...whats wrong with that? You just said that some people sin daily proving Pres Nelsons statement correct.
If you don't sin daily then disregard his statement as not being applicable for you but still applies to others.

The natural man is an enemy to God, every day you wake up you are in sin, how you decide to translate that into your own spiritual progression is up to you. Repent daily is great advice.
I cannot follow your logic. Because I wake up I am in sin? That really makes no sense. You don't sin simply by existing as a human being.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

What she is saying is some days she is perfect and can skip repentance those days. there are obviously numerous on this forum that are nearly perfect, many that have their C&E and cannot sin, some with 100% attendance of the HG that could never even be near imperfection. Of course those in that sacred condition don't need to repent, they have it made. The rest of us however live in Adam's fallen world and need to humble ourselves before the Lord daily.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

I disagree. After we are truly converted to the Lord we don’t wake and live in sin.
Again:

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

TheDuke wrote: June 7th, 2022, 5:43 pm What she is saying is some days she is perfect and can skip repentance those days. there are obviously numerous on this forum that are nearly perfect, many that have their C&E and cannot sin, some with 100% attendance of the HG that could never even be near imperfection. Of course those in that sacred condition don't need to repent, they have it made. The rest of us however live in Adam's fallen world and need to humble ourselves before the Lord daily.
Duke, I detect a hint of sarcasm….lol

The interesting thing about the reason that I posted this topic is my daughter, not me.
She is what you described above and she asked me several times over the last few years, what if she doesn’t have anything to repent of? These questions of hers caused me to reflect. I give thanks for her innocence and purity in my life.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Obviously, those who accept Christ no longer need to repent. Make sense, only those who reject Christ need to repent (but don't because they don't accept the atonement)............... Seems a little messed up to me. Oh well. only on LDS FF! And you can feel the spirit as the question wasn't even put to all those who preached repentance over the millennia, but to put in his place RMN.............

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

“Let us this very day begin anew, and now say, with all our hearts, we will forsake our sins and be righteous.”

“Repentance is a thing that cannot be trifled with every day. Daily transgression and daily repentance is not that which is pleasing in the sight of God.” Joseph Smith

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

There’s far too much wrong with this to go through it step by step, but if you’re tempted to entertain this false doctrine as plausible, just know that OP didn’t even take the time to understand the differences between the Hebrew and Greek understanding and usage of the idea of “perfect”. Sloppy, sloppy analysis… terrifying conclusion.

randyps
captain of 100

Post by randyps »

endlessismyname wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:22 pm

There’s far too much wrong with this to go through it step by step, but if you’re tempted to entertain this false doctrine as plausible, just know that OP didn’t even take the time to understand the differences between the Hebrew and Greek understanding and usage of the idea of “perfect”. Sloppy, sloppy analysis… terrifying conclusion.
Exactly! Im not the sharpest tool in the shed to be judging others analysis but for the OP to say "RMN doesnt understand doctrine" yet her own understanding of scripture is way off while contradicting her own words, wow!!

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

TheDuke wrote: June 7th, 2022, 5:43 pm What she is saying is some days she is perfect and can skip repentance those days. there are obviously numerous on this forum that are nearly perfect, many that have their C&E and cannot sin, some with 100% attendance of the HG that could never even be near imperfection. Of course those in that sacred condition don't need to repent, they have it made. The rest of us however live in Adam's fallen world and need to humble ourselves before the Lord daily.
and you are talking about her daughter including those on this forum that you claim don't need repentance, right?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Evan: I'm being sarcastic. I cannot comprehend those on the forum (or anywhere) that have been so saved in this Telestial sphere that repentance is beyond their needs, daily or otherwise. Not that anyone (even dark evil) commits sins every single day, but every day we live imperfect lives, we cannot help it, we live in a fallen world. Yet several here have their C&E and claim perfection and full-time HG, and can do no wrong......... I feel some deception there, that is all.

Take all that stuff about King Ben............ sure he builds a rameumpton, gives one powerful speech and everyone repents and lives happily ever after.......... and is of one heart............... (maybe until Monday, I mean it didn't last).

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

TheDuke wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:48 am Evan: I'm being sarcastic. I cannot comprehend those on the forum (or anywhere) that have been so saved in this Telestial sphere that repentance is beyond their needs, daily or otherwise. Not that anyone (even dark evil) commits sins every single day, but every day we live imperfect lives, we cannot help it, we live in a fallen world. Yet several here have their C&E and claim perfection and full-time HG, and can do no wrong......... I feel some deception there, that is all.

Take all that stuff about King Ben............ sure he builds a rameumpton, gives one powerful speech and everyone repents and lives happily ever after.......... and is of one heart............... (maybe until Monday, I mean it didn't last).
builds a rameumpton?

Methinks you confused

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

TheDuke wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:48 am Evan: I'm being sarcastic. I cannot comprehend those on the forum (or anywhere) that have been so saved in this Telestial sphere that repentance is beyond their needs, daily or otherwise. Not that anyone (even dark evil) commits sins every single day, but every day we live imperfect lives, we cannot help it, we live in a fallen world. Yet several here have their C&E and claim perfection and full-time HG, and can do no wrong......... I feel some deception there, that is all.

The point I was trying to make is that repentance is not necessary every single day for some individuals. I cited scriptures and doctrine which the naysayers never even acknowledged nor did they cite any scriptures which support their argument.

A person should not make general blanket statements to the church that we all need to repent every day. We need to repent when we sin as this is what the scriptures teach and in some cases that might not be every day.

I was not implying that I or anyone is above repentance or that “repentance is beyond their needs.” I don’t know anyone on here who has their C&E and has claimed perfection. I just wanted to share my thoughts but was met with sarcasm instead of meaningful conversations.
Last edited by Mamabear on June 8th, 2022, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Incorrect beyond words. But feeling hopeful for myself because I do repent daily.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

oh yeah, ok, don't know about deception but certainly hypocrisy in its true sense . . . probably some stones and some suspicion that no one can be perfect . . . although the post leaves one wondering and allowed for the comments cuz lots of peoples' kids think they are above repentance

this is the hardest part of any teaching from our prophet and scriptures . . .it is to be applied to ourselves and taught to everyone. . . has to be taught no matter what. Even if you are perfect . . . the hard part is applying it to ourselves, not our kids, or our spouse, or even our neighbor . . .ourselves

And we really should compliment or be proud of our kids whenb they do well

As far as RMN I have already posted it . . .he says things but never explains what he means or how we are supposed to apply it. He is a poor speaker much as many people in the local churches. They just make comments out of thin air and no one knows what the heck they mean by it. Poor speakers because it needs more explanation and suggested application.

He could have said teach you r children repentance

or apply repentance in your life by searching your soul and confessing to God to rid yourself of any needed sin or whatever

but bad speaker or not he is still the prophet . . .Kimball was a pretty tough guy . . most people tried to avoid his lectures yet he was such a good action prophet. He did it and go us to do it too. practical man

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

woops got us to do it

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Mamabear wrote: June 8th, 2022, 11:45 am

The point I was trying to make is that repentance is not necessary every single day for some individuals. I cited scriptures and doctrine which the naysayers never even acknowledged nor did they cite any scriptures which support their argument.

A person should not make general blanket statements to the church that we all need to repent every day. We need to repent when we sin as this is what the scriptures teach and in some cases that might not be every day.

I was not implying that I or anyone is above repentance or that “repentance is beyond their needs.” I don’t know anyone on here who has their C&E and has claimed perfection. I just wanted to share my thoughts but was met with sarcasm instead of meaningful conversations.
Cjhrist made blanket statements . . especially when he taught the sermon on the mount cuz some of the people were already living those principles.

The blanket statements accomplish two things. Those who need to repent will consider it. Those who do not need to repent can pat themselves on the back. All prophets and all teachers even Jordan whatever his name is do what you call blanket statements. After years of listening to it I'm not sure why this has upset you now or why you need an explanation.

If RMN knew your daughter he would probably recognize her goodness he even recognizes the goodness of some people that aren't really so good.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

however, I disagree with the name of your post and the name you chose is not supported by your post. I see two different subjects that have both been responded to here . . . just saying

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

EvanLM wrote: June 8th, 2022, 1:44 pm however, I disagree with the name of your post and the name you chose is not supported by your post. I see two different subjects that have both been responded to here . . . just saying
Changed it

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

“Repentance is a thing that cannot be trifled with every day. Daily transgression and daily repentance is not that which is pleasing in the sight of God.”
Joseph Smith, History of the Church 3:379; from a discourse given on June 27, 1839; Reported by Willard Richards

Proponents of daily repentance seem to deny the kind of "mighty change of heart"ideal found in the Book of Mormon.

A Hebrews passage comes to mind:
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
Hebrews 6:4-6