So you don't want to sustain us huh? No temple recommend for you!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

So you don't want to sustain us huh? No temple recommend for you!

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

A person I know chose not to sustain the PSRs nor any church leader during a recent stake conference. Another member took notice and ratted them out to the bishop, who subsequently called them in to talk about it. This person stated that they could not "sustain" what the church leaders are doing. Their bishop subsequently revoked their temple recommend.

"Sustain", in modern LDS vernacular, means you either agree with these men, or you are at odds with Jesus. If you don't agree with these men, you'll then lose your salvation. Please wake up my LDS friends to the unrighteous dominion that is cankering the souls of men. You have elevated these men to "lesser gods", and they have become prideful idols. I honestly believe Jesus is not pleased with what they have done with His gospel.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Re: So you don't want to sustain us huh? No temple recommend for you!

Post by Mamabear »

D87110C4-CBB8-4012-9F1A-D8075ACC07B1.jpeg
D87110C4-CBB8-4012-9F1A-D8075ACC07B1.jpeg (220.86 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

There's an easy workaround. Don't go to Stake Conference or don't be in the room when they do this bit.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:18 am A person I know chose not to sustain the PSRs nor any church leader during a recent stake conference. Another member took notice and ratted them out to the bishop, who subsequently called them in to talk about it. This person stated that they could not "sustain" what the church leaders are doing. Their bishop subsequently revoked their temple recommend.

"Sustain", in modern LDS vernacular, means you either agree with these men, or you are at odds with Jesus. If you don't agree with these men, you'll then lose your salvation. Please wake up my LDS friends to the unrighteous dominion that is cankering the souls of men. You have elevated these men to "lesser gods", and they have become prideful idols. I honestly believe Jesus is not pleased with what they have done with His gospel.
This is an incorrect idea of sustaining.

Just this past week I renewed my recommend, and when I got to the sustaining part, I told my stake president what I thought about the word "sustain," and he backed me and I received my recommend.

What did I tell him? I told him that sustaining involves helping out the leaders in their callings as well as our own callings. You don't willy nilly accept everything you are told, but you take everything to the Lord in prayer to find out why. If you feel like they are wrong, you don't simply tell them they are wrong, without adding supporting evidence as to why they are wrong. In addition, I have mentioned the military analogy that I have used a few times on this board, that if your company is about to be ambushed, and you know that you are going to be ambushed, you need to let the leadership know that there's a trap up ahead. Part of warning our neighbor is precisely warning of dangers ahead to those that otherwise should know.

This is a problem I often find here. Lots of accusations fly up against the leadership, some of which might very well be true. But if you want leadership to fix the problem, hard evidence must be obtained that support the idea that you want to fix. Otherwise, it will simply be ignored.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:04 am This is an incorrect idea of sustaining.

This is a problem I often find here. Lots of accusations fly up against the leadership, some of which might very well be true. But if you want leadership to fix the problem, hard evidence must be obtained that support the idea that you want to fix. Otherwise, it will simply be ignored.
"Our sustaining is an oath-like indication that we recognize their calling as a prophet to be legitimate and binding upon us." (Russell Nelson)

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:15 am
Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:04 am This is an incorrect idea of sustaining.

"Our sustaining is an oath-like indication that we recognize their calling as a prophet to be legitimate and binding upon us." (Russell Nelson)
Doesn't mean you can't call the leadership to attention when they are mistaken. There are ways to do that.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

We sustain the leaders who promote injecting the little ones with COVID-19 "vaccine" poison.
i-can-be-brave-friend-april-2021.png
i-can-be-brave-friend-april-2021.png (224.85 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Chip wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:33 am

We sustain the leaders who promote injecting the little ones with COVID-19 "vaccine" poison.

Vaccination in general is good. The leaders did urge people to get vaccinated against the Coronavirus though the decisions should ultimately be left up between the members, their doctors, and the Lord.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:53 am There's an easy workaround. Don't go to Stake Conference or don't be in the room when they do this bit.
Why work around it? We need honestly and integrity in the world today. A church that poo poos asking questions and questioning leadership is not of God.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:22 am

Doesn't mean you can't call the leadership to attention when they are mistaken. There are ways to do that.
Yes, that is exactly what that means. Sure, there are a few level-headed leaders who may get this, but the vast majority feel quite qualified to pass judgment upon you for questioning church leaders. My stake president sure did, and I just wanted to have a discussion about the safety and efficacy of the jab. Nope, can't question the prophet.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:47 am Vaccination in general is good.
There is plenty of science that contradicts this blanket statement.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:04 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:18 am A person I know chose not to sustain the PSRs nor any church leader during a recent stake conference. Another member took notice and ratted them out to the bishop, who subsequently called them in to talk about it. This person stated that they could not "sustain" what the church leaders are doing. Their bishop subsequently revoked their temple recommend.

Just this past week I renewed my recommend, and when I got to the sustaining part, I told my stake president what I thought about the word "sustain," and he backed me and I received my recommend.

What did I tell him? I told him that sustaining involves helping out the leaders in their callings as well as our own callings. You don't willy nilly accept everything you are told, but you take everything to the Lord in prayer to find out why. If you feel like they are wrong, you don't simply tell them they are wrong, without adding supporting evidence as to why they are wrong. In addition, I have mentioned the military analogy that I have used a few times on this board, that if your company is about to be ambushed, and you know that you are going to be ambushed, you need to let the leadership know that there's a trap up ahead. Part of warning our neighbor is precisely warning of dangers ahead to those that otherwise should know.

Subbie

That may be the way your stake pres does it, but is not the way most or all of the other stake pres's and higher ups do it.

For the rest of them, it is pure and unadulterated man worship. Even tho' they may insist that it is not. They are unaware of what they actually do.
dc

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

David13 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:54 am

Subbie

That may be the way your stake pres does it, but is not the way most or all of the other stake pres's and higher ups do it.

For the rest of them, it is pure and unadulterated man worship. Even tho' they may insist that it is not. They are unaware of what they actually do.
dc
That's why the Gentiles are in deep trouble.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:17 am
David13 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:54 am

Subbie

dc
That's why the Gentiles are in deep trouble.

Not if we repent. 3 Nephi 30.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I should note that the OP experience is not an anomaly. My SP revoked the temple recommend of another friend of mine who was serving on the high council because he said he did not sustain the actions of Nelson. If Nelson's fruits were those of a true prophet, then I would sustain them if and when the HG ratified his fruits. This is basic primary stuff here guys.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:17 am That's why the Gentiles are in deep trouble.
I agree that members get what they deserve. If they sustain false doctrine, they are in deep doo doo.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Creepy!!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:47 am
Chip wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:33 am

Vaccination in general is good.
No it isn't.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I had a Bishop who denied recommends to anyone who turned down a calling. Yes, he claimed they did not sustain their leaders. It was so bad that the Stake President had to get involved and stop him.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

I think it really depends on where you are at.

In my area, I told them that I agree that they are leaders of the church and have authority to do things within the church, but I don't sustain them as prophet's seers and revelators.

I gave them the option to ask me questions and was very honest, I told them what I did believe, but didn't tell them what I didn't believe. Though if they asked I would have. I got the sense that I was not alone and there were a lot of people in the area like myself. The Bishopric member and I got along great and he agreed with a lot of my views. The Stake presidency member was clearly feeling a bit awkward and so didn't ask too muhc follow up. My impression was they were told not to engage or ask, just be happy they went in for a temple recommend interview. I also didn't ask for a temple recommend interview, they tracked me down. I accepted for the guy so he could do his calling. He had been trying for months, so I finally said yes .

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:15 am
Subcomandante wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:47 am Vaccination in general is good.
There is plenty of science that contradicts this blanket statement.
https://pierrekory.substack.com/p/vacci ... 16-c85?s=r

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I agree that defining the term "sustain" is essential, and that it does NOT mean accepting everything a leader says.
"What did I tell him? I told him that sustaining involves helping out the leaders in their callings as well as our own callings. You don't willy nilly accept everything you are told, but you take everything to the Lord in prayer to find out why. If you feel like they are wrong, you don't simply tell them they are wrong, without adding supporting evidence as to why they are wrong. " Yes.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Lizzy60 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:45 am I had a Bishop who denied recommends to anyone who turned down a calling. Yes, he claimed they did not sustain their leaders. It was so bad that the Stake President had to get involved and stop him.
:o

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BroJones wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:07 am I agree that defining the term "sustain" is essential, and that it does NOT mean accepting everything a leader says.
"What did I tell him? I told him that sustaining involves helping out the leaders in their callings as well as our own callings. You don't willy nilly accept everything you are told, but you take everything to the Lord in prayer to find out why. If you feel like they are wrong, you don't simply tell them they are wrong, without adding supporting evidence as to why they are wrong. " Yes.
In this instance, it matters what the church leadership claims "sustain" means, not what you want it to be. The church has clearly outlined what that means.

In my case, asking simple questions is heresy and I received calls for repentance. You cannot question the president of the church. Regardless of how informed or inspired, your own revelation may be. The PSRs have stated this themselves. You cannot receive revelation that contradicts their revelation. Yes, they've literally said that. (Eyring, Holland, and Oaks)

How about this for supporting evidence.
Christ: "Don't trust in the arm of flesh, but only when the Spirit dictates"
Nelson: "Trust us completely."