Why the Melchizedek Priesthood as restored in 1831 must be the Fullness of the Priesthood as restored in 1843

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Why the Melchizedek Priesthood as restored in 1831 must be the Fullness of the Priesthood as restored in 1843

Post by Luke »

Reason 1: It holds all authority:
  • “. . . the Melchizedek Priesthood comprehends the Aaronic or Levitical Priesthood, and is the grand head, and holds the highest authority which pertains to the priesthood, and the keys of the Kingdom of God in all ages of the world to the latest posterity on the earth; and is the channel through which all knowledge, doctrine, the plan of salvation and every important matter is revealed from heaven.
    Its institution was prior to the ‘foundation of this earth, or the morning stars sang together, or the Sons of God shouted for joy,’ and is the highest and holiest Priesthood, and is after the order of the Son of God, and all other Priesthoods are only parts, ramifications, powers and blessings belonging to the same, and are held, controlled, and directed by it.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 166-167, circa 5 October 1840)
  • “. . . those who have come in here and have received their washing & anointing will be ordained Kings & Priests, and will then have received the fulness of the Priesthood, all that can be given on earth, for Brother Joseph said he had given us all that could be given to man on the earth.” (Brigham Young, as quoted in Heber C. Kimball’s Journal, 26 December 1845, CHL)
Reason 2: Those holding such are Kings and Priests:
  • D&C 76
    55 They are they into whose hands the Father has given all things—
    56 They are they who are priests and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory;
    57 And are priests of the Most High, after the order of Melchizedek, which was after the order of Enoch, which was after the order of the Only Begotten Son.
  • “There are 3 grand principles or orders of Priesthood portrayed in this chapter [Hebrews 7]
    3d That of melchisedec who had still greater power even power of endless Life of which was our Lord Jesus Christ which also Abraham obtained by the offering of his son Isaac which was not the power of a Prophet nor apostle nor Patriarc only but of King & Priest to God to open the windows of Heaven and pour out the peace & Law of endless Life to man” (Joseph Smith, as quoted in Franklin D. Richards’ Journal, 27 August 1843, CHL)
  • “consider how great this man was when even this patriarch Abraham gave a tenth part of all his spoils and then received a blessing under the hands of Melchesideck even the last law or a fulness of the law or priesthood which constituted him a king and priest after the order of Melchesideck or an endless life.” (Joseph Smith, as quoted in James Burgess’ Journal, 27 August 1843, CHL)
  • “Those holding the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood are kings and priests of the Most High God, holding the keys of power and blessings.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 322, 27 August 1843)
  • “He [Brigham Young] also remarked that if any in the Church had the fullness of the Melchisedec Priesthood, he did not know it. For any person to have the fullness of that priesthood, he must be a king and priest.” (DHC 5:527, 6 August 1843)
Reason 3: It is the Priesthood which Melchizedek ordained Abraham to:
  • D&C 84
    14 Which Abraham received the priesthood from Melchizedek, who received it through the lineage of his fathers, even till Noah;
  • “consider how great this man was when even this patriarch Abraham gave a tenth part of all his spoils and then received a blessing under the hands of Melchesideck even the last law or a fulness of the law or priesthood which constituted him a king and priest after the order of Melchesideck or an endless life.” (Joseph Smith, as quoted in James Burgess’ Journal, 27 August 1843, CHL)
Reason 4: It comes by oath and covenant:
  • “all they who receive this Priesthood receiveth me saith the Lord for he that receiveth my servants receveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth my father, and he that receiveth my father, receiveth my fathers kingdom, therefore all that my father hath shall be given unto him and this is according to the oath and the covenant which belongeth to the Priesthood, therefore all those. who receive the Priesthood, receiveth this oath and covenant of my father which he cannot break neither can it be mooved, but whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom shall not have forgivness in this world nor in the world to come and all those that come not unto this Priesthood, which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day viz the 23d. day of September AD 1832 Eleven high Priests save one by by mine own voice out of the heavens” (Revelation given to Joseph Smith, 22-23 September 1832, Newel K. Whitney Papers, HBLL)
[Note: the manuscript copy of this revelation makes it clear that it is the office of High Priest being spoken of.]
  • “. . . the Priesthood of Melchizedek is by an oath and covenant.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 323, 27 August 1843)
[Note: this is the Melchizedek Priesthood being spoken of in the “Three Grand Orders” discourse.]

Reason 5: It has the power to seal up to eternal life:
  • “Br. Joseph Smith jr. said that the order of the High priesthood is that they have power given them to seal up the Saints unto eternal life. And said it was the privilege of every Elder present to be ordained to the High priesthood.” (Far West Record, pg. 11, 25 October 1831, CHL)
  • “The power of the Melchizedek Priesthood is to have the power of ‘endless lives’; for the everlasting covenant cannot be broken.
    The King of Shiloam (Salem) had power and authority over that of Abraham, holding the key and the power of endless life.
    Those holding the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood are kings and priests of the Most High God, holding the keys of power and blessings. In fact, that Priesthood is a perfect law of theocracy, and stands as God to give laws to the people, administering endless lives to the sons and daughters of Adam.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 322, 27 August 1843)
  • “There are 3 grand principles or orders of Priesthood portrayed in this chapter [Hebrews 7]
    3d That of melchisedec who had still greater power even power of endless Life of which was our Lord Jesus Christ which also Abraham obtained by the offering of his son Isaac which was not the power of a Prophet nor apostle nor Patriarc only but of King & Priest to God to open the windows of Heaven and pour out the peace & Law of endless Life to man” (Joseph Smith, as quoted in Franklin D. Richards’ Journal, 27 August 1843, CHL)
Reason 6: It is the highest and holiest order of the Priesthood:
  • “. . . the Melchizedek Priesthood comprehends the Aaronic or Levitical Priesthood, and is the grand head, and holds the highest authority which pertains to the priesthood, and the keys of the Kingdom of God in all ages of the world to the latest posterity on the earth; and is the channel through which all knowledge, doctrine, the plan of salvation and every important matter is revealed from heaven.
    Its institution was prior to the ‘foundation of this earth, or the morning stars sang together, or the Sons of God shouted for joy,’ and is the highest and holiest Priesthood, and is after the order of the Son of God, and all other Priesthoods are only parts, ramifications, powers and blessings belonging to the same, and are held, controlled, and directed by it.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 166-167, circa 5 October 1840)
  • “Baurak Ale [Joseph Smith] was by common consnt. & unanimous voice chosen presidnt of the quorum. & anointed & ordd. to the highest and holiest order of the priesthood.” (Joseph Smith’s Journal, 28 September 1843, CHL)