"Do NOT Pray About Whether or Not You Should Go On A Mission. DUMB QUESTION!"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

"Do NOT Pray About Whether or Not You Should Go On A Mission. DUMB QUESTION!"

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Excerpt from Utah Area President Elder Kevin W. Pearson, from a Rising Generation fireside in Bountiful, Utah, on May 25, 2022.
See full vid here:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... 5?lang=eng

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "Do NOT Pray About Whether or Not You Should Go On A Mission. DUMB QUESTION!"

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

WTH?

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: "Do NOT Pray About Whether or Not You Should Go On A Mission. DUMB QUESTION!"

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

It's only going to get worse. Expect an overflow of desperate rhetoric like this as the baptism numbers continue to decline.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

The prophet never commanded anyone to go on a mission.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

No need to pray just listen to men….cuz they don’t like the answers you get.

It’s obvious they’re desperate for missionaries. 🙄

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

CuriousThinker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:23 pm The prophet never commanded anyone to go on a mission.
He actually has, and not just the current one...several past prophets have too.

This counsel from the Seventy though seems quite impulsive and had I received that counsel, I would have done a Stone Cold Steve Austin impression and given him a double bird.

You go when you are ready AND when the Spirit says you are ready. Not a moment before.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

2 Nephi 32

8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.

9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.
Last edited by JuneBug12000 on May 30th, 2022, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Also, I have an issue with him saying a prophet commanded it. Prophets do not command things for the church, the Lord commands. Or, at least we hope it is from the Lord when the prophet speaks. I am shocked he said it was the prophet instead of saying the Lord. I think we have looked to the prophet in way too much these past few years and now are acting as if he, himself, gives commandments.
Isn't this the area president who tried to force masks on the Utah members?

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Where can I read the words of the Lord on this matter?

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

JuneBug12000 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:35 pm 2 Nephi 32

8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.

9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.
Boom.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Subcomandante wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:33 pm
CuriousThinker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:23 pm The prophet never commanded anyone to go on a mission.
He actually has, and not just the current one...several past prophets have too.

This counsel from the Seventy though seems quite impulsive and had I received that counsel, I would have done a Stone Cold Steve Austin impression and given him a double bird.

You go when you are ready AND when the Spirit says you are ready. Not a moment before.
If a past prophet has used the word 'commandment' I would like to see it. I have never seen that word used by a prophet, only in a manual. Also, where is the prophet quoting the Lord to give that commandment? It obviously was not always viewed as such.

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

Seems there are concerns about the prayer answers aspiring missionaries would and are getting about serving in today's mission field. What happened to the bar being raised and the church not accommodating every missionary for worthiness issues?

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

"God doesn't want to hear from you; don't irritate Him with your ridiculous questions! Just follow the prophet; that's the only real commandment! Because God prefers mindless robot slaves!"

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

He actually told young men that it is “really dumb” to pray about a very important decision.

They must be desperate. They are losing their grip.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:42 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:35 pm 2 Nephi 32

Boom.
Five seconds into the video, this scripture came into my mind. I actually felt an evil spirit while I listened to this 30-second clip. All the context was there. He made the point multiple times in just a half minute.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I believe we have a new low in leadership. Wow.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:42 pm Excerpt from Utah Area President Elder Kevin W. Pearson, from a Rising Generation fireside in Bountiful, Utah, on May 25, 2022.
See full vid here:
I understand his point.
I once knew someone who prayed about whether he should play football on a Sunday. He never got an answer either way. It was pointed out to him that the answer had already been given thousands of years ago, so it was a "dumb question" in that sense.
The truth is he wanted God to say yes, go ahead because he really wanted to play football instead of going to church.

With regard to serving a mission, praying about whether or not to go applies to sisters, but less so to the young men because the instruction has been given.

I don't have a problem with this video clip.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:42 pm Excerpt from Utah Area President Elder Kevin W. Pearson, from a Rising Generation fireside in Bountiful, Utah, on May 25, 2022.
See full vid here:
🤮😡

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: May 30th, 2022, 4:24 pm
See full vid here:
I understand his point.
I once knew someone who prayed about whether he should play football on a Sunday. He never got an answer either way. It was pointed out to him that the answer had already been given thousands of years ago, so it was a "dumb question" in that sense.
The truth is he wanted God to say yes, go ahead because he really wanted to play football instead of going to church.

With regard to serving a mission, praying about whether or not to go applies to sisters, but less so to the young men because the instruction has been given.

I’m sorry that you don’t have a problem with the manipulation in this video clip.

Your example is not comparable to missionary work for a young man.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I was reading up on this and from what I can tell this only became a priesthood duty or 'commandment' in the 70's under President Kimball. So for about 140 years this was not a priesthood duty, unless I am incorrect. My question is why the change? Do priesthood duties change? Have others changed through the years ?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

See full vid here:
I understand his point.

I do. Because there are plenty of boys out on missions who don’t want to be there and go for the wrong reasons….ie tradition, parents expect them to, guilted into it, etc…
We don’t need more of those.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

That woman in the lower left has a smug, steeled look. It's the persona of the Brave New Church. Maybe God doesn't want any more people being turned into that.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

But who did the instruction come from? If the Lord? Then let's see it. Show me "Thus saith the Lord". Does it apply to pre LDS church condemnation, or post LDS church condemnation? Or in other words, the commandment to literally gather to a physical Zion in Missouri and literally build the United Order.... or after the church was condemned which means it no longer applies?

Do we have any scriptures where the Lord ever commanded to not literally gather to a physical place on the land? (The answer is no... no He has not.) This new speak about "Building Zion where you stand" is not scriptural, it is not doctrinal. According to the scriptures, any missionary that does not call a newly baptized member to literally, physically, leave his home country to move, yes literally, to the New Jerusalem, is not doing his duty as a missionary and is simply wasting his time.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

See full vid here:
I understand his point.

Thousands of years ago, God commanded us not to play football on Sunday?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Curious why YM shouldn't pray about it but YW should.

Is it because YM have to be ordained to the priesthood but YW are born with it?