Adding to our supplies

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

Adding to our supplies

Post by Momma J »

Based on our weekend clearing land, I am adding to our supplies. If you have any property in the country you understand how quickly tress, brush, plants of multiple varieties grow! In East Texas it is surreal. A path that I cleared between us and the neighbors in March is now overgrown with brush and vines.

Extra suplies that we are bulking up on:
Good leather gloves Several pairs of good fitting gloves per person.
Mucking boots -I wear these every time I leave the front porch. I recommend 2 pairs
Long sleeve cotton shirts. Poison Ivy is no joke and I am highly allergic. They also provide relief from the blazing sun. Lawn crews around here are all wearing long sleeve shirts.
Good cutting tools and the know-how to sharpen. I have a variety of axes, hatchets, manchettes, clippers.
Goats This is in our near future to keep brush and vines down.
Apple cider vinegar - The internet searches advise against using, but the areas that I used ACV did not develop a rash while other areas of my skin are covered. ACV is also good for a number of heath issues
Fire ant control - I am convinced that insects will take over the planet if we lose commercial ways of keeping them at bay. I am open to suggestions. Same goes for fleas. They are out of control in our area right now. I stopped by Home Depot for something to knock out whatever is eating my plum trees and the aisle was filled with people looking for a way to eradicate fleas.

Side note: We knocked down almost 1/4 acre of heavy brush this weekend! I can almost move around the old shell of a building. I will be using that lumber and tin for my chicken house.
Attachments
clearing 5-21-22.jpg
clearing 5-21-22.jpg (216.89 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Re: Adding to our supplies

Post by blitzinstripes »

Thank you for mentioning the leather gloves. I do have several pair stored with my supplies but it is an often overlooked staple. Many of today's members lack the callouses earned by manual labor, and a sudden lifestyle change could quickly hurt their hands and take them out of commission, which could prove very detrimental to their survival. I'm a safety professional 😁😁 so I'm always thinking in terms of safety and proper PPE. Great tip.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Momma J wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 2:02 pm Fire ant control - I am open to suggestions.
Gasoline :)

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Momma J wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 2:02 pm Based on our weekend clearing land, I am adding to our supplies. If you have any property in the country you understand how quickly tress, brush, plants of multiple varieties grow! In East Texas it is surreal. A path that I cleared between us and the neighbors in March is now overgrown with brush and vines.

Mucking boots -I wear these every time I leave the front porch. I recommend 2 pairs
Long sleeve cotton shirts. Poison Ivy is no joke and I am highly allergic. They also provide relief from the blazing sun. Lawn crews around here are all wearing long sleeve shirts.
Good cutting tools and the know-how to sharpen. I have a variety of axes, hatchets, manchettes, clippers.
Apple cider vinegar - The internet searches advise against using, but the areas that I used ACV did not develop a rash while other areas of my skin are covered. ACV is also good for a number of heath issues
Fire ant control - I am convinced that insects will take over the planet if we lose commercial ways of keeping them at bay. I am open to suggestions. Same goes for fleas. They are out of control in our area right now. I stopped by Home Depot for something to knock out whatever is eating my plum trees and the aisle was filled with people looking for a way to eradicate fleas.

Side note: We knocked down almost 1/4 acre of heavy brush this weekend! I can almost move around the old shell of a building. I will be using that lumber and tin for my chicken house.
The only suggestion I would make is linen shirts for summer and wool for winter, skip the cotton if you can.

Linen can be worn long sleeved even in the summer to protect from sun and will wick away the sweat.
Wool is naturally antibacterial, flame resistant, water resistant and warm.
There is an old saying "cotton kills." It just means in the winter if you get wet you stay wet and can die of hypothermia. In the summer it traps heat and you can die of heat exhaustion.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 2:11 pm
Momma J wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 2:02 pm Fire ant control - I am open to suggestions.
Pardon my ignorance...do you light it, or let it soak in?

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

BroJones wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 9:48 pm
Pretty sure soaking does the trick, but lighting it heals the soul ;)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I am so very tempted... :!:

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

JuneBug12000 wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 9:08 pm The only suggestion I would make is linen shirts for summer and wool for winter, skip the cotton if you can.

Linen can be worn long sleeved even in the summer to protect from sun and will wick away the sweat.
There is an old saying "cotton kills." It just means in the winter if you get wet you stay wet and can die of hypothermia. In the summer it traps heat and you can die of heat exhaustion.
Thanks JuneBug. I always think of linen as scratchy and stiff. Researching (thanks to your suggestion) it becomes softer with wear.

I have also added good socks. I wear wool socks all winter but have been looking at alternatives for the summer. I just started wearing long socks again because of the boots and wanting to avoid boot rashes around my ankles.

When temps and humidity are ganging up on us, we work for a couple hours. Cool off and change to dry clothes... rest for a bit and do it again. Early afternoon shower and power nap. We understand the benefits of the Mexican "siesta". As the temps drop a few and the sun drops behind the tall trees, we work again for a couple hours until the mosquitos chase us back in.

Any suggestions for good hats that offer ventilation as well as keeping the sun off the backs of our necks?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

JuneBug12000 wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 9:08 pm
Momma J wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 2:02 pm Based on our weekend clearing land, I am adding to our supplies. If you have any property in the country you understand how quickly tress, brush, plants of multiple varieties grow! In East Texas it is surreal. A path that I cleared between us and the neighbors in March is now overgrown with brush and vines.

The only suggestion I would make is linen shirts for summer and wool for winter, skip the cotton if you can.

I second this. Watch the old farmers. They wear the linen shirts for a reason. Lightweight and breathable, keeps them cool yet protects from the sun. Cotton can cook you quick in the summer.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I’ve been doing several projects outside that require several hours a day of manual labor for the last few months. The last pair of gloves lasted about 2 months. I went in and bought 7 more pair. I know I have several gloves in my preparedness boxes, but when you find a good pair, you buy them all. :)
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on May 24th, 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

A few things that are often neglected.....good manual tools including hand drills/ braces, plumb bobs, string levels, saws, measuring tapes, etc. Some large spikes/nails. Cannot overstate the worth of good hatchets/ axes, and knives but just as important are having good stones to sharpen them with.

And obviously, all the best tools in the world are of little benefit without the skills to use them. πŸ˜‰

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

A good supply of canning jars and as many lids as you can realistically store. A large pot for hot water bath. Cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens will last several lifetimes if properly maintained. The knowledge and means to construct a functional root cellar. Knowledge of herbs, their identification and their preparation and uses. Sewing kits. A field surgical kit and knowledge to use it, at the very least some books/ manuals on the subject. Military training manuals are excellent resources. A suture kit is a worthy investment. Iodine tablets. Life straws and other water purification. Magnesium fire starters. As much para cord as you can get your hands on. Plastic tarps of various sizes. I like to avoid the bright colored ones. Drab is best, imo.
Last edited by blitzinstripes on May 24th, 2022, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

51Dqw2Oi-YL.jpg
51Dqw2Oi-YL.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
I have this book and actually keep it in my large bug out bag. Lots of good knowledge in it.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

blitzinstripes wrote: ↑May 24th, 2022, 6:16 am 51Dqw2Oi-YL.jpg

I have this book and actually keep it in my large bug out bag. Lots of good knowledge in it.
Thanks, I just ordered it

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Reading again about the great depression, I was reminded that I need to add more sewing supplies; needles, thread, etc. I do not even know where my thimble is anymore. :o . Thinking that sheets would be about the right size for the back of a quilt.

Has anyone used anything other than quilt batting to offer warmth for the interior layer of a quilt?

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I am watching a few videos on emergency prep. Someone said Garbage bags. A truck driver claims that Sam's club is now catching up on supplies so look for good deals. He also said supplies could be gone the end of the year because of the China shutdowns. Not Sure if true but... The cost of canning lids in my area has doubled and is limited. My husband is in extreme mourning due to the recall of Jif peanut butter. lol

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: ↑May 23rd, 2022, 10:13 pm
Pretty sure soaking does the trick, but lighting it heals the soul ;)
:D

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Screenshot_20220530-101558.png
Screenshot_20220530-101558.png (923.29 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Here's one to consider.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

My husband's grandmother told me that they added cooked rice to scrambled eggs to stretch them further. I gave it a try several years back and we love them. We now always add leftover rice to our scrambled eggs, even better if you sprinkle in a handful of shredded cheese.

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

Good discussions here.!!!
Rice and White Beans are a great extenders for many things.

One thing we did as a family many years ago was to take inventory of the things we used.
We put sticky notes on the inside door of all cabinets, closet doors, etc.
for two months, when ever we touched anything in the shelves we wrote it down on the list.

Basic Food stuffs are important, along with outside and inside tools, and equipment and knowledge to maintain them.
Start with the basic then gradually add in things that make you comfortable, or make work easier.

Variety is good, for example Wheat can become
Sprouts, Wheat Grass
Boiled Wheat Cereal
Cracked Wheat Cereal
Cream of Wheat
Fried Mush
Bulgar
Flour, Pancakes, Muffins, Bread, Cakes
Pastas: Noodles, Spaghettis, Lasagna, Ravioli, Ramen
and the list goes on.

Some need more prep time than others,
and some items are easier to make with the right equipment.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

When I was a kid, my dad would pour gasoline down the ant hills, then light it. It was so entertaining to stand around and watch. Not too close though. Those are definitely the memories that stick.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

scottja wrote: ↑May 31st, 2022, 11:29 pm Good discussions here.!!!
Rice and White Beans are a great extenders for many things.

One thing we did as a family many years ago was to take inventory of the things we used.
We put sticky notes on the inside door of all cabinets, closet doors, etc.
for two months, when ever we touched anything in the shelves we wrote it down on the list.

Basic Food stuffs are important, along with outside and inside tools, and equipment and knowledge to maintain them.
Start with the basic then gradually add in things that make you comfortable, or make work easier.

Variety is good, for example Wheat can become
Sprouts, Wheat Grass
Boiled Wheat Cereal
Cracked Wheat Cereal
Cream of Wheat
Fried Mush
Bulgar
Flour, Pancakes, Muffins, Bread, Cakes
Pastas: Noodles, Spaghettis, Lasagna, Ravioli, Ramen
and the list goes on.

Some need more prep time than others,
and some items are easier to make with the right equipment.
Great additions! My favorite breakfast cereal is cracked wheat with a pat of butter and a swirl of honey.

Last night I made fried potatoes with garlic and onions. All from our garden. This is the first year that I planted garlic. Since we eat garlic all the time, I thought I better become an expert at growing my own. (or at least be semi-adequate)

A few notes: Garlic planted in late spring will not divide into cloves, but grows fine. The green part of the plant tastes similar to a green onion with a garlic bite... and a tad bit hotter. We love it chopped up in our salads.

The garlic bulb itself had a GREAT deal more zip to it than anything I have ever bought in the store. If you like garlic and have never grown it before, it is easy to grow. It takes very little care. I tossed several old cloves in a burlap bag with about 5 inches of soil. (covering with about an inch) I am only able to water a couple times a week. Basically, I had no time for garlic, but didn't want to toss some old cloves in the compost... so I was winging it.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Gasoline only lasts so long, shelf life can be like 1-2 years max. Modern LiFePO4 (or better) batteries, can easily last 10 years+. Been slowly converting my stuff away from gas powered to electric powered.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Here is a great and inexpensive product that I recommend for everyone.

https://hotwhitepot.com/store/lehman-s- ... rm=1004742

Godislove
captain of 100

Post by Godislove »

blitzinstripes wrote: ↑June 11th, 2022, 3:55 pm Here is a great and inexpensive product that I recommend for everyone.

https://hotwhitepot.com/store/lehman-s- ... rm=1004742
How is it so inexpensive and able to offer free shipping? Quite sure I paid more for just the wringer alone.