Prophets - Why the Push to Follow the Prophet?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
itsmerich
captain of 100

Prophets - Why the Push to Follow the Prophet?

Post by itsmerich »

Hi all

I keep hearing (ad nauseum) in Church to follow the prophet. Our Stake Presidency is concerned so they think the fix is to regurgitate this line and try to make connections to some scripture stories thinking this will fix everything.

I am honestly asking this (and please don't contend w/ one another).

What has the prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?

Thank you all

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Prophets - Why the Push to Follow the Prophet?

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

itsmerich wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:58 pm Hi all

I keep hearing (ad nauseum) in Church to follow the prophet. Our Stake Presidency is concerned so they think the fix is to regurgitate this line and try to make connections to some scripture stories thinking this will fix everything.

What has the prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?

Thank you all
The temple, IMO, is the "secret sauce" of the modern LDS org. Coincidentally *wink/wink* it is also a cash cow for said org. These "prophets" show us the "covenant path" back to God... since they also speak for God. *wink/wink*

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

It is an attempt to capture the audience to stay devoted to Church Inc.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

itsmerich wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:58 pm What has the prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?
Why do you say outside of Joseph Smith?

What did he reveal "that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?"

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

itsmerich wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:58 pm What has the prophet (outside of JS) said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?
Literally nothing. But, they have deviated from the doctrine taught in those books.

No steps forward, two steps back.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Thank you all
I don’t have an answer, but I just taught a priesthood lesson in which I claimed that “follow the prophet” isn’t sound doctrine, and we should instead “follow the spirit of prophecy”. To me, “follow the prophet” is a damnable heresy… a slogan that masks a salvific doctrine.

itsmerich
captain of 100

Post by itsmerich »

Friends if we're told over and over to follow the prophet then what are they saying that warrants such urgency?

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

itsmerich wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:41 pm Friends if we're told over and over to follow the prophet then what are they saying that warrants such urgency?
The vaxxeen is safe and effective, and the only way to win this war is to immunize a large part of the population. Wearing a facial covering is a sign of Christ-like love for our brothers and sisters. We must do all we can to be good global citizens. Racism is bad. Shame on you for calling us Mormons.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Agree. I keep waiting to see/ hear something prophetic.

Safe and effective? Wise and thoughtful government leaders?

Meh.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I would like to re-state itsmerich's question "What has a prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?" to read what I think he really meant to ask, "What has any latter-day prophet said or revealed in the last 50 years that CRITICAL for our temporal and/or spiritual survival?" I hope that is more clear.

I would say that anything a prophet told us we should or must do is CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:51 pm
itsmerich wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:41 pm Friends if we're told over and over to follow the prophet then what are they saying that warrants such urgency?
The vaxxeen is safe and effective, and the only way to win this war is to immunize a large part of the population. Wearing a facial covering is a sign of Christ-like love for our brothers and sisters. We must do all we can to be good global citizens. Racism is bad. Shame on you for calling us Mormons.
no no ! you got it all wrong. lol.

didn't ya know -

this is why.
He can't lead the church astray.
viewtopic.php?p=1267593#p1267593
Last edited by Being There on May 18th, 2022, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

lundbaek wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:24 pm I would like to re-state itsmerich's question "What has a prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?" to read what I think he really meant to ask, "What has any latter-day prophet said or revealed in the last 50 years that CRITICAL for our temporal and/or spiritual survival?" I hope that is more clear.

I would say that anything a prophet told us we should or must do is CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation.
That includes a clot shot, vaccine mandates, and wearing a face diaper that’s proven to not stop an airborne virus. Not to mention incorrect tithes and false doctrine. Sounds like a pretty good list.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:53 am
lundbaek wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:24 pm I would like to re-state itsmerich's question "What has a prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?" to read what I think he really meant to ask, "What has any latter-day prophet said or revealed in the last 50 years that CRITICAL for our temporal and/or spiritual survival?" I hope that is more clear.

That includes a clot shot, vaccine mandates, and wearing a face diaper that’s proven to not stop an airborne virus. Not to mention incorrect tithes and false doctrine. Sounds like a pretty good list.
Here's a more accurate list:

LDS prophets have consistently told people to have faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized and receive the other ordinances the Lord has commanded, live righteously, pray earnestly and study the scriptures, seek personal revelation, love and serve their fellow man, strengthen their families, and do everything else the Lord has commanded.

itsmerich
captain of 100

Post by itsmerich »

THANK YOU!!

itsmerich
captain of 100

Post by itsmerich »

Atticus wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:52 am

LDS prophets have consistently told people to have faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized and receive the other ordinances the Lord has commanded, live righteously, pray earnestly and study the scriptures, seek personal revelation, love and serve their fellow man, strengthen their families, and do everything else the Lord has commanded.
Thank you but none of what you mentioned requires "following the prophet" this is all within already established doctrine/scriptures
I reiterate to everyone again -

"What has a prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?" to read what I think he really meant to ask, "What has any latter-day prophet said or revealed in the last 50 years that CRITICAL for our temporal and/or spiritual survival?"

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

2-hour church has gotta be up there. :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

President Nelson, at a recent General Conference:
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652886576

QUOTE: "How are we to deal with both the somber prophecies and the glorious pronouncements about our day? The Lord told us how with simple, but stunning, reassurance: “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.”7

What a promise! It is one that can literally change the way we see our future. I recently heard a woman of deep testimony admit that the pandemic, combined with an earthquake in the Salt Lake Valley, had helped her realize she was not as prepared as she thought she was. When I asked whether she was referring to her food storage or her testimony, she smiled and said, “Yes!”

If preparation is our key to embracing this dispensation and our future with faith, how can we best prepare?

For decades, the Lord’s prophets have urged us to store food, water, and financial reserves for a time of need. The current pandemic has reinforced the wisdom of that counsel. I urge you to take steps to be temporally prepared. But I am even more concerned about your spiritual and emotional preparation.

In that regard, we can learn a lot from Captain Moroni. As commander of the Nephite armies, he faced opposing forces that were stronger, greater in number, and meaner. So, Moroni prepared his people in three essential ways.

First, he helped them create areas where they would be safe—“places of security” he called them.8 Second, he prepared “the minds of the people to be faithful unto the Lord.”9 And third, he never stopped preparing his people—physically or spiritually.10 Let us consider these three principles.

Principle Number One: Create Places of Security
Moroni fortified every Nephite city with embankments, forts, and walls.11 When the Lamanites came against them, they “were astonished exceedingly, because of the wisdom of the Nephites in preparing their places of security.”12

Similarly, as turmoil rages around us, we need to create places where we are safe, both physically and spiritually. When your home becomes a personal sanctuary of faith—where the Spirit resides—your home becomes the first line of defense.

Likewise, the stakes of Zion are “a refuge from the storm”13 because they are led by those who hold priesthood keys and exercise priesthood authority. As you continue to follow the counsel of those whom the Lord has authorized to guide you, you will feel greater safety.

The temple—the house of the Lord—is a place of security unlike any other. There, you sisters are endowed with priesthood power through the sacred priesthood covenants you make.14 There, your families are sealed for eternity. Even this year, when access to our temples has been seriously limited, your endowment has given you constant access to God’s power as you have honored your covenants with Him.

Simply said, a place of security is anywhere you can feel the presence of the Holy Ghost and be guided by Him.15 When the Holy Ghost is with you, you can teach truth, even when it runs counter to prevailing opinions. And you can ponder sincere questions about the gospel in an environment of revelation.

I invite you, my dear sisters, to create a home that is a place of security. And I renew my invitation for you to increase your understanding of priesthood power and of temple covenants and blessings. Having places of security to which you can retreat will help you embrace the future with faith.

Principle Number Two: Prepare Your Mind to Be Faithful to God
We have undertaken a major project to extend the life and capacity of the Salt Lake Temple.

Some questioned the need for taking such extraordinary measures. However, when the Salt Lake Valley suffered a 5.7-magnitude earthquake earlier this year, this venerable temple shook hard enough that the trumpet on the statue of the angel Moroni fell!16

Just as the physical foundation of the Salt Lake Temple must be strong enough to withstand natural disasters, our spiritual foundations must be solid. Then, when metaphorical earthquakes rock our lives, we can stand “steadfast and immovable” because of our faith.17

The Lord taught us how to increase our faith by seeking “learning, even by study and also by faith.”18 We strengthen our faith in Jesus Christ as we strive to keep His commandments and “always remember him.”19 Further, our faith increases every time we exercise our faith in Him. That is what learning by faith means.

For example, each time we have the faith to be obedient to God’s laws—even when popular opinions belittle us—or each time we resist entertainment or ideologies that celebrate covenant-breaking, we are exercising our faith, which in turn increases our faith.

Further, few things build faith more than does regular immersion in the Book of Mormon. No other book testifies of Jesus Christ with such power and clarity. Its prophets, as inspired by the Lord, saw our day and selected the doctrine and truths that would help us most. The Book of Mormon is our latter-day survival guide."

Have you prepared, including out of debt, food and water, and places (plural) of security? I hope so.
Last edited by BroJones on May 18th, 2022, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

lundbaek wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:24 pm I would say that anything a prophet told us we should or must do is CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation.
I knew I was going to Hell for not wearing a mask 😢

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

itsmerich wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:04 am
Atticus wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:52 am

Thank you but none of what you mentioned requires "following the prophet" this is all within already established doctrine/scriptures
I reiterate to everyone again -

"What has a prophet (outside of JS)said or revealed in the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc years that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?" to read what I think he really meant to ask, "What has any latter-day prophet said or revealed in the last 50 years that CRITICAL for our temporal and/or spiritual survival?"
I asked you a question earlier, which you haven't answered yet. Here it is again:

Why do you say "outside of Joseph Smith?"

What did he reveal "that was so CRITICAL for our temporal or spiritual salvation that required us to "follow him" lest we suffer, be dammed, whatever word you want to insert that has not ALREADY BEEN captured in the standard works?"

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BroJones wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:14 am President Nelson, at a recent General Conference:
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1652886576

QUOTE: "How are we to deal with both the somber prophecies and the glorious pronouncements about our day? The Lord told us how with simple, but stunning, reassurance: “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.”7

What a promise! It is one that can literally change the way we see our future. I recently heard a woman of deep testimony admit that the pandemic, combined with an earthquake in the Salt Lake Valley, had helped her realize she was not as prepared as she thought she was. When I asked whether she was referring to her food storage or her testimony, she smiled and said, “Yes!”

If preparation is our key to embracing this dispensation and our future with faith, how can we best prepare?

For decades, the Lord’s prophets have urged us to store food, water, and financial reserves for a time of need. The current pandemic has reinforced the wisdom of that counsel. I urge you to take steps to be temporally prepared. But I am even more concerned about your spiritual and emotional preparation.

In that regard, we can learn a lot from Captain Moroni. As commander of the Nephite armies, he faced opposing forces that were stronger, greater in number, and meaner. So, Moroni prepared his people in three essential ways.

First, he helped them create areas where they would be safe—“places of security” he called them.8 Second, he prepared “the minds of the people to be faithful unto the Lord.”9 And third, he never stopped preparing his people—physically or spiritually.10 Let us consider these three principles.

Principle Number One: Create Places of Security
Moroni fortified every Nephite city with embankments, forts, and walls.11 When the Lamanites came against them, they “were astonished exceedingly, because of the wisdom of the Nephites in preparing their places of security.”12

Similarly, as turmoil rages around us, we need to create places where we are safe, both physically and spiritually. When your home becomes a personal sanctuary of faith—where the Spirit resides—your home becomes the first line of defense.

Likewise, the stakes of Zion are “a refuge from the storm”13 because they are led by those who hold priesthood keys and exercise priesthood authority. As you continue to follow the counsel of those whom the Lord has authorized to guide you, you will feel greater safety.

The temple—the house of the Lord—is a place of security unlike any other. There, you sisters are endowed with priesthood power through the sacred priesthood covenants you make.14 There, your families are sealed for eternity. Even this year, when access to our temples has been seriously limited, your endowment has given you constant access to God’s power as you have honored your covenants with Him.

Simply said, a place of security is anywhere you can feel the presence of the Holy Ghost and be guided by Him.15 When the Holy Ghost is with you, you can teach truth, even when it runs counter to prevailing opinions. And you can ponder sincere questions about the gospel in an environment of revelation.

I invite you, my dear sisters, to create a home that is a place of security. And I renew my invitation for you to increase your understanding of priesthood power and of temple covenants and blessings. Having places of security to which you can retreat will help you embrace the future with faith.

Principle Number Two: Prepare Your Mind to Be Faithful to God
We have undertaken a major project to extend the life and capacity of the Salt Lake Temple.

Some questioned the need for taking such extraordinary measures. However, when the Salt Lake Valley suffered a 5.7-magnitude earthquake earlier this year, this venerable temple shook hard enough that the trumpet on the statue of the angel Moroni fell!16

Just as the physical foundation of the Salt Lake Temple must be strong enough to withstand natural disasters, our spiritual foundations must be solid. Then, when metaphorical earthquakes rock our lives, we can stand “steadfast and immovable” because of our faith.17

The Lord taught us how to increase our faith by seeking “learning, even by study and also by faith.”18 We strengthen our faith in Jesus Christ as we strive to keep His commandments and “always remember him.”19 Further, our faith increases every time we exercise our faith in Him. That is what learning by faith means.

For example, each time we have the faith to be obedient to God’s laws—even when popular opinions belittle us—or each time we resist entertainment or ideologies that celebrate covenant-breaking, we are exercising our faith, which in turn increases our faith.

Further, few things build faith more than does regular immersion in the Book of Mormon. No other book testifies of Jesus Christ with such power and clarity. Its prophets, as inspired by the Lord, saw our day and selected the doctrine and truths that would help us most. The Book of Mormon is our latter-day survival guide."

Have you prepared, including out of debt, food and water, and places (plural) of security? I hope so.
Bro Jones, read that section (D&C) on preparation and not fearing again. Do you know why they were preparing? Because of conspiring men. Now, exactly who these conspiring men are is the real question.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I have said this many times on this forum that sees only what a few would have us try to see (just like Biden et al). Follow the prophet does not say follow the "prophecy", it isn't about prophecies. Perhaps prophet is a bad title, it is same advice as was to follow the HP in Israel, or follow Alma or the apostles or the Nephite disciples. They lead people to the Lord, it isn't about prophecy. And it isn't about begin perfect. It is about the path and providing a framework for people to grasp on to.

We seem to have people on the forum that think deeply and study and have their own opinions. This is NOT what the masses have, not at all. As pointed out we have people believing the plandemic, Democratic leaders, etc... these people need a clear simple path. Period! Have so few people on this thread ever lead a complex team, built something large, or coordinated large events or anything to see how people are in the large? You follow the prophet so you don't have to follow other leaders that area headed straight to hell. Simple and effect for most people. And they will NOT be held accountable if the prophet lead them somewhere else. So, they follow the prophet and CANNOT be led astray.

So, Damned simple. But, many cannot see through the Telestial haze to comprehend it. Too many Korihor's trying to find a skinny, windy, individual path to god where most cannot follow. BTW that is surely ok for any individual but to push it and claim it in public to the detriment of lower progressed beings is, well EVIL, just EVIL.

So, we are tasked to follow the prophet, sort of a lower/middle level law, until we progress to have the spirit. BTW if we all had the spirit there would not have been such negative posts on this thread, but genuine honest disagreement or lack of understanding or something, but bringing up COVID and vaxes every time, that is a DEMOCRATIC, LIBERAL, DIVISIVE tactic by the conservative thinkers. I am a bit disgusted. But, aside I am trying to be positive about the OP and explain how this principle fits in a day and age of haze, fog, universal deception by media, etc...

You can see a light house and it can save a ship, but damned is the captain that heads directly to the light house and runs into the rocks around it. Beacons have a purpose but guide, they are not the iron rod, they lead to it. Hope this helps.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Thank you all
This represents a bifurcation.

Albeit, the bifurcation resolves itself when you do "follow the Prophet" when the Prophet asks us to "Follow the Spirit" and to "Hear Him" (Him, of course, referring to Jesus Christ and not to Russell Nelson).

And if the Spirit tells you to do something that NORMALLY would be against prophetic counsel, then follow the Spirit.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

heeeheheeeheheheeeheheheheee

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

EvanLM wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:13 pm
heeeheheeeheheheeeheheheheee
No one can argue when I literally just quote them :) well, except for the last two statements… but that was good paraphrasing.

NeveR
captain of 1,000

Post by NeveR »

BroJones wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:14 am Have you prepared, including out of debt, food and water, and places (plural) of security? I hope so.
And what if you are one of the vast majority of people in the world who can't afford places (plural)? Most humans can barely afford to keep one roof over their heads.

Will they be judged unworthy by the wealthy people who can afford second homes and vast amounts of storage?