Microsoft goes full blown satan

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Microsoft goes full blown satan

Post by Fred »

This video should make you mad.

You will own nothing. Not even your personal computer.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Re: Microsoft goes full blown satan

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Good thing I don't run Windows. I can/will choose to buy hardware that doesn't prevent me from running whatever software I choose as the owner.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Sounds like we will have to give up using computers.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

mes5464 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:41 am Sounds like we will have to give up using computers.
Not a totally bad idea. You don't need to recharge a writing pad all the time.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Re: Microsoft goes full-blown Satan

Post by ParticleMan »

Heed this. Is it any wonder certain Big Tech practices tie into certain Agendas?

I've run into one of the issues mentioned. Major take-away: In addition to sticking with Winblows 10 where necessary, disable BitLocker! If you ever need to pull a drive that has BitLocker, you'll wish you had the recovery key or a backup. If the drive isn't encrypted, you should at least be able to read it on another Winblows box. But if it's encrypted, you'd be out of luck.

Mine is a household of Linux. Winblows runs only in VMs. WINE is only a partial workaround.

And actually, there is a Linux distro that runs on the M1.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

ParticleMan wrote: May 18th, 2022, 6:45 am Heed this. Is it any wonder certain Big Tech practices tie into certain Agendas?

I've run into one of the issues mentioned. Major take-away: In addition to sticking with Winblows 10 where necessary, disable BitLocker! If you ever need to pull a drive that has BitLocker, you'll wish you had the recovery key or a backup. If the drive isn't encrypted, you should at least be able to read it on another Winblows box. But if it's encrypted, you'd be out of luck.

Mine is a household of Linux. Winblows runs only in VMs. WINE is only a partial workaround.

Just to clarify - are you saying that Apple machines running on Linux do NOT have the problem outlined in the OP?
(I use 3 linux machines, one PC with windows.)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Also, two close relatives WORK for Microsoft.... Pay is good.... back East.
Advice?

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

BroJones wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:02 am
ParticleMan wrote: May 18th, 2022, 6:45 am ...
Just to clarify - are you saying that Apple machines running on Linux do NOT have the problem outlined in the OP?
I'm saying, despite the problem outlined, it's possible to run Linux on the M1:
Asahi Linux

Krusty
captain of 50

Post by Krusty »

Linux household here. We have over 7 computers, all run Linux exclusively. I just bought a $1500 laptop a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was delete Windows 11 off the hard drive and install a privacy respecting OS. You know what's interesting? I've installed several distributions of Linux throughout the years, and thousands of programs through package managers, and I've never had to agree to or even been prompted with a ToS or EULA.

Wine runs just about everything I throw at it. Windows/Mac exclusive titles like StarCraft 2 runs flawlessly. If for some reason you can't get the software you like to run in Linux, you can always dual boot, or find a freedom respecting alternative.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

Krusty wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:33 am Linux household here. We have over 7 computers, all run Linux exclusively. I just bought a $1500 laptop a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was delete Windows 11 off the hard drive and install a privacy respecting OS. You know what's interesting? I've installed several distributions of Linux throughout the years, and thousands of programs through package managers, and I've never had to agree to or even been prompted with a ToS or EULA.

Wine runs just about everything I throw at it. Windows/Mac exclusive titles like StarCraft 2 runs flawlessly. If for some reason you can't get the software you like to run in Linux, you can always dual boot, or find a freedom respecting alternative.
My future system(s) will likely be by System76 or Librem or maybe framework, that is, if AMD.

VMs have come a long way. See QEMU and virt-manager, recommended over VirtualBox. Dual-booting is almost completely unnecessary now.
Last edited by ParticleMan on May 19th, 2022, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mes5464 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:41 am Sounds like we will have to give up using computers.
This will be solved. The smartest people do NOT work for Microshaft. Why they haven't made Linux more user friendly is a mystery. But the answer to this problem might be as simple as a BIOS replacement.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Someone at Microshaft is recording what videos you watch and what music you play. Your exact GPS location and browsing habits.

Krusty
captain of 50

Post by Krusty »

Fred wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:45 am
This will be solved. The smartest people do NOT work for Microshaft. Why they haven't made Linux more user friendly is a mystery. But the answer to this problem might be as simple as a BIOS replacement.
A lot of effort has been made to make Linux user friendly. I have a friend in the ward that is an average computer user that took the Linux pill a few months ago. I recommended and installed Linux Mint. It is designed to be very easy for people coming off of Windows to pick it up.

BTW here's my neofetch:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

My problem with Linux etc is that they are great for nerds but not so good for normies.

You know, I hate Wikipedia, but I also admire how easy it is to edit and do things with (if the eejits running it let you). Linux is not like that.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Office Libre seems like a good alternative to Microsoft word. And you can arrange similar settings.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Thinker wrote: May 18th, 2022, 4:35 pm Office Libre seems like a good alternative to Microsoft word. And you can arrange similar settings.
Or, you could just use the real thing. OpenOffice is what Google Docs and Libre copied because it is open source and anyone has access to the source code and can rename it anything they like. https://www.openoffice.org/