Today's bread not like the bread Jesus ate

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Today's bread not like the bread Jesus ate

Post by gruden2.0 »

I know this occasionally comes up on the site. This guy does a good job outlining how things are different:

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Today's bread not like the bread Jesus ate

Post by kittycat51 »

I work in a bakery that makes real sourdough bread with just 3 ingredients: Water, Flour, Sea Salt. (flour is non GMO, organic, not bromated or bleached.) It's AWESOME bread. For one who gave up bread years ago because of how awful it made me feel, I now eat this bread all the time.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

kittycat51 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:47 pm I work in a bakery that makes real sourdough bread with just 3 ingredients: Water, Flour, Sea Salt. (flour is non GMO, organic, not bromated or bleached.) It's AWESOME bread. For one who gave up bread years ago because of how awful it made me feel, I now eat this bread all the time.
I need to learn the patience necessary for sourdough :lol:

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

kittycat51 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:47 pm I work in a bakery that makes real sourdough bread with just 3 ingredients: Water, Flour, Sea Salt. (flour is non GMO, organic, not bromated or bleached.) It's AWESOME bread. For one who gave up bread years ago because of how awful it made me feel, I now eat this bread all the time.
How many days do you let yours sit for the natural yeast to do its thing? I've been doing some novice experimenting with some ancient wheats. Just bough some Kamut because I read that it tastes amazing.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Niyr wrote: May 12th, 2022, 7:00 am
How many days do you let yours sit for the natural yeast to do its thing? I've been doing some novice experimenting with some ancient wheats. Just bough some Kamut because I read that it tastes amazing.
Oh it's not days...It's not a massive bakery but small family owned. And they make upwards of 1300 loaves on baking days. From start to finish (from feeding starter to baking) is under 24 hours. The main or bulk fermentation is 10-12 hours, some bread getting more rise time than others because all can't be baked at once. (done in shifts)

Boy I would love to get my hands on some Kamut! I believe the wheat my parents have stored since the 70's would be much better grain than what's commonly used today. :lol:

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Can you pm me the bakery?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

4Joshua8 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Can you pm me the bakery?
Done

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I have my own sour dough starter. I bought one from King Aurthur. I haven't been eating bread. I bought some Organic whole wheat flour. I think I will look up a similar recipe. Thanks for the idea.