Should contraceptives be legal? A poll

Discuss political news items / current events.

Should contraceptives be legal?

Yes (except for abortion)
69%
Yes (except for some forms, please specify)
6%
No (in all cases)
14%
No (except for some forms, please specify)
4%
No opinion
6%

Total votes: 49
gkearney
captain of 1,000

Should contraceptives be legal? A poll

Post by gkearney »

Recently in the news coverage, there was some discussion if Roe v. Wade reversal would also impact the Griswold v. Connecticut case which overturned the state of Connecticut's ban on contraceptives, Part of the old Comstock Laws. This got me wondering what the feeling of the people here are on this, admittedly side issue.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Should contraceptives be legal? A poll

Post by Niemand »

gkearney wrote: May 10th, 2022, 2:15 pm Recently in the news coverage, there was some discussion if Roe v. Wade reversal would also impact the Griswold v. Connecticut case which overturned the state of Connecticut's ban on contraceptives, Part of the old Comstock Laws. This got me wondering what the feeling of the people here are on this, admittedly side issue.
I know a couple of women who are intellectually disabled who are on the pill. One has already had a child, but in this case it may actually be a good thing. They are both incapable of raising children, but one of them has already been seduced.

I think they are overused in developed countries and have ended up turning sex into something it never really tended to be before.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

As a general rule I would say there should be no place for contraceptives in our world. Adam and Eve were commanded to multiply.
But we live in a fallen world... a very fallen world. In fact, I suspect this world has fallen further than any other. I have a very vulnerable autistic daughter. She is 30 going on 12. If anyone touched her I'd take a shot gun to them and redecorate my walls with an interesting new colour called "hint of brain".
So I get Niemand's point.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I've a hard time making simple things like condoms illegal.
I just don't think governments should have that kind of power.

What's next, Uncle Sam proclaiming the pull out method is illegal

LDS have a weird streak of authoritarianism.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:10 am As a general rule I would say there should be no place for contraceptives in our world. Adam and Eve were commanded to multiply.
But we live in a fallen world... a very fallen world. In fact, I suspect this world has fallen further than any other. I have a very vulnerable autistic daughter. She is 30 going on 12. If anyone touched her I'd take a shot gun to them and redecorate my walls with an interesting new colour called "hint of brain".
So I get Niemand's point.
There are people who will do the things that most of us can barely contemplate.

There are also a lot of people who should just keep it in their pants. That's the best form of contraception out there, and there is no moral objection to it outside marriage. You should have heard the young woman yapping on about her need for sex a couple of tables down from me last night. I read similar stuff online during lockdown on social media. I know some peoole get strong urged, but one doesn't need to shag everything in sight. That's what a dog does. It's procreation not just recreation. If you want children, then only procreate with someone who would be a good parent.

Once I had a strong urge to lamp a particularly obnoxious parking attendant/traffic warden, but doesn't mean I should have done it. It would have solved nothing and only got me into more trouble. What we want and what we need are two separate issues. And we're told not to avoid certain things by Jesus himself, this being one of them.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

nightlight wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:37 am I've a hard time making simple things like condoms illegal.

It's much preferable to abortion, I'll give it that. Although I see abortion pushed as contraception - well, it's not since the conception already happened, no "contra".

We have such a sexualised culture now, but it's about time people started trying to be responsible for their biological urges. Many people in the west just see sex as a form of masturbation using another person's body, without all the other considerations it should involve.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

In the long run, contraceptives never do any society any good. They have become the gateway drug to promiscuity or to get out of responsibility for our choices and I believe people who push contraceptives primarily use it as a bandaid for issues that we wouldn’t have if we had a society that had moral values.

There are other ways to prevent pregnancies for those not wanting to get pregnant, with natural family planning, and I think that should be taught even though it is not in our society.

Speaking of gateway drug…my husband and I were just talking about the issue of legalizing marijuana and the states that have opened this door are seeing the uptick of drug abuse amongst our youth. The millions of dollars in revenue apparently is worth more than the souls of our children.

Legalizing contraceptives has become kind of like this.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Well, there are plants that more or less can regulate a menstrual cycle if consumed, and one side effect of them is inducing miscarriages... though I think that'd count as abortion.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Durzan, I would agree with you on that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Durzan wrote: May 11th, 2022, 8:59 am Well, there are plants that more or less can regulate a menstrual cycle if consumed, and one side effect of them is inducing miscarriages... though I think that'd count as abortion.
They used to say that about taking a bath in pennyroyal infused water.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

Yes. I know several women who have taking the birth control pill to help with painful, heavy periods. It can be life changing for them.

I am thankful birth control is around. So women don't have to be like my great grandmother and bury baby and baby. I think she had an rh factor going on. There was no fix for that back then. Poor her and poor babies.

Silver Pie
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver Pie »

nightlight wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:37 am I've a hard time making simple things like condoms illegal.

Exactly. This is none of their business. Not at the Federal level, State level, nor local level. Abortion is different as it is taking a human life.

Silver Pie
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:38 am There are people who will do the things that most of us can barely contemplate.

There are also a lot of people who should just keep it in their pants. That's the best form of contraception out there, and there is no moral objection to it outside marriage. You should have heard the young woman yapping on about her need for sex a couple of tables down from me last night. I read similar stuff online during lockdown on social media. I know some peoole get strong urged, but one doesn't need to shag everything in sight. That's what a dog does. It's procreation not just recreation. If you want children, then only procreate with someone who would be a good parent.

Once I had a strong urge to lamp a particularly obnoxious parking attendant/traffic warden, but doesn't mean I should have done it. It would have solved nothing and only got me into more trouble. What we want and what we need are two separate issues. And we're told not to avoid certain things by Jesus himself, this being one of them.
Sadly, self control (in many, many things) seems to be a thing of the past. :(

Wolfwoman
captain of 100

Post by Wolfwoman »

I vote just plain yes with no stipulations. I'm pro life, but I don't think contraceptives are being used for abortions, or if they are, they are no different than using the birth control pill in the way that they work. And I don't think our world is ready to get rid of the birth control pill. Although it has admittedly revolutionized our society, and not necessarily in a good way.

Plus, I believe in people being able to be free. Just because I choose not to use them or have certain beliefs, I cannot impose my beliefs on others.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:18 am I vote just plain yes with no stipulations. I'm pro life, but I don't think contraceptives are being used for abortions, or if they are, they are no different than using the birth control pill in the way that they work. And I don't think our world is ready to get rid of the birth control pill. Although it has admittedly revolutionized our society, and not necessarily in a good way.

Plus, I believe in people being able to be free. Just because I choose not to use them or have certain beliefs, I cannot impose my beliefs on others.
There is the "Morning After" pill which is being presented in a very similar way to a contraceptive pill. It aborts a very early embryo.

NeveR
captain of 1,000

Post by NeveR »

I can understand people thinking contraception is wrong and declining to use it as a personal choice - but making it ILLEGAL is a whole different thing. One of the most authoritative, intrusive tyrannical "public health" measures imaginable.

People need to be left alone as far as possible to find their own way, make their own mistakes and commit their own sins. You can't force people to be good.

Re. Legalizing marijuana as mentioned above. Please let's recall that before the early 20th C there were NO significant drug laws in the US or Europe. You could freely buy cocaine, opium, cannabis etc over the counter. Yet there were no more drug addicts then than now. Probably fewer.

Drug laws are not meant to 'save' people. They are meant to control them plus add a 'black budget' revenue stream for quasi and secret govt bodies.

In pure health terms I'd rather a family member was smoking or otherwise imbibing marijuana than drinking alcohol every day.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

NeveR wrote: May 13th, 2022, 2:00 am I can understand people thinking contraception is wrong and declining to use it as a personal choice - but making it ILLEGAL is a whole different thing. One of the most authoritative, intrusive tyrannical "public health" measures imaginable.

People need to be left alone as far as possible to find their own way, make their own mistakes and commit their own sins. You can't force people to be good.

Re. Legalizing marijuana as mentioned above. Please let's recall that before the early 20th C there were NO significant drug laws in the US or Europe. You could freely buy cocaine, opium, cannabis etc over the counter. Yet there were no more drug addicts then than now. Probably fewer.

Drug laws are not meant to 'save' people. They are meant to control them plus add a 'black budget' revenue stream for quasi and secret govt bodies.

In pure health terms I'd rather a family member was smoking or otherwise imbibing marijuana than drinking alcohol every day.
You make a point. Look at prohibition, made the Mafia. Half of the trouble with illegal drugs is not just people taking them but the wars over who deals them where.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I can understand banning contraceptives that terminate life. But what would be the rational justification for banning contraceptives that do not terminate life?

Wolfwoman
captain of 100

Post by Wolfwoman »

Niemand wrote: May 12th, 2022, 3:29 pm
Wolfwoman wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:18 am I vote just plain yes with no stipulations. I'm pro life, but I don't think contraceptives are being used for abortions, or if they are, they are no different than using the birth control pill in the way that they work. And I don't think our world is ready to get rid of the birth control pill. Although it has admittedly revolutionized our society, and not necessarily in a good way.

There is the "Morning After" pill which is being presented in a very similar way to a contraceptive pill. It aborts a very early embryo.
It works in the same way as the birth control pill and some other methods of contraception. This is why the Catholic church is/was against the birth control pill.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Lol you guys make me laugh, you must not have fun with your partner at all other than when you want a child.
Now if it's an embryo no don't kill it.
But honestly, if it's something other than that it's fine.
If you're really that serious then get surgery.
Why are condoms bad? They aren't killing a child.
It's not all about procreation, the so called false prophets these days and ages say that ad nauseum because they're not inspired and pressure people to have children when people honestly most need to deal with their negative emotions, lack of spirituality, and lack of personal development before they have a child. Money would be a good idea too usually, unless God really really really actually tells you otherwise. And most people aren't good at telling that spiritual prompting either.
Children growing up could possibly say:
"I wish you didn't have me to abuse me"
"I wish you didn't have me because I didn't have anything to eat"
"I wish you didn't have me to not love me."
"I wish you didn't have me to make me believe in athiesm"
"I wish you didn't have me if you didn't actually support me and my dreams"
"I wish you didn't have me if you were going to scream all the time"
"Why was I just born into a world just to suffer because of poverty, rape, abuse, theft, gangs, evil, you brought into my life?"

STOP BEING PRESSURED TO HAVE CHILDREN. ITS BAD!!!

Now sure people can multiply and replenish the earth. But only if God says to.
God litterally was giving a command to ADAM AND EVE, not everyone in existence. If you read it carefully it says

"God blessed them,(who? Adam and eve) and God said unto them(WHO??, adam and eve), Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,
That is THEIR calling and THEIR mission. God is telling them WHY they were personally on the earth, their mission, like how joseph smiths mission was to basically bring forth the book of mormon. Adam and eve were lucky enough to have the age old question answered "what is my purpose here on this earth?"
No one's purpose is the same.
Everyone has a special mission. Whether or not they rise to the call is different.

Having children is great for those who God calls, and they're ready. But don't have them if you're not ready.

Wolfwoman
captain of 100

Post by Wolfwoman »

XEmilyX wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:40 am Lol you guys make me laugh, you must not have fun with your partner at all other than when you want a child.
Now if it's an embryo no don't kill it.
But honestly, if it's something other than that it's fine.
If you're really that serious then get surgery.
At least 79% said YES or No Opinion.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:25 am

It works in the same way as the birth control pill and some other methods of contraception. This is why the Catholic church is/was against the birth control pill.
The birth control pill stops conception, whereas this one ends it.

Wolfwoman
captain of 100

Post by Wolfwoman »

Niemand wrote: May 14th, 2022, 12:42 pm
Wolfwoman wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:25 am

The birth control pill stops conception, whereas this one ends it.
It makes the uterine environment hostile to the embryo. So it's still possible to ovulate and create an embryo, but it's just not able to implant and survive in the uterus due to the hormones the woman is taking. The pill fails to work 1% of the time and that is why some women still get pregnant even though they were on the pill.

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

You have a limited view of choices. Therefore no vote.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I think people who don't want children should get their tubes tied. I think people who can't take care of children and have something wrong with them should get their tubes tied. I think people charged with child abuse should get their tubes tied. Not forced but planned parenthood could pay for it. Women and men. Does God agree with me? No, but a lot of heartache would be prevented.