A challenge for all Phil Davis/DoC junkies

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: A challenge for all Phil Davis/DoC junkies

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I can see how people want to dedicate time to the Lord, but I think we can learn quite a bit from King Benjamin's discourse.

Mosiah 2

14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

I have been thinking about this without purse or script thought. What a hard experience and how often we condemn. The early apostles did that. The early missionaries of the church did that. Lehi did that, Nephi did that when he went back for the plates, the brother of Jared did that, brother yun from the Heavenly Man did that, Corrie ten boom ( Tramp for the Lord) did that, afshin javid did that. All from a commitment to do as the Lord desires regardless the pain, embarrassment, and condemnation that may follow. That must be humiliating to be condemned for going for total reliance on the Lord, moment by moment and yet the Lord said it would be so. You must be willing to lay it all on the line regardless of how humiliating it may be.
That is very similar to Laman and Lemuel and their comments about their father being a visionary man and following imaginary direction.
I won't condemn Dustin for this. That truly lies between him and God. It seems to me ,according to scripture, whether it is Daniel, Jeremiah, revelations, Isaiah, we will all experience this. I think a person who has done it will be a great mentor as we head into the tribulations that will presently be upon us and get to have this situation forced upon us.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

solonan wrote: August 12th, 2022, 10:06 am My goodness. I have never experienced Dustin in this way. I am not not part of the Doc group and never have been. I used to read their FB page and listen to their Zoom meetings a couple plus years ago. I have talked to Dustin on the phone but I have never experienced him like you have Icedkoffee.
I watched the video and the two of them are definitely very weird and quirky, but that's not exactly a crime. I can definitely see how they could be prone to fanaticism. The Lord always grants us according to the desires of our heart, for good or bad, so I'm sure he let them go without purse or script so they could learn to stop asking for things they shouldn't be asking for.

In the video, Jacob Isbell seems to side with them. Jacob mentions that there are two individuals who are (I forget the exact words) always telling individuals that they are full of darkness. Apparently, one of these two told Dustin he is filled with demons, and he could see blackness in his eyes. He then gave Dustin a blessing and said after the blessing that the darkness was gone. I can only assume this was Phil.

IcedKoffee
captain of 100

Post by IcedKoffee »

solonan wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:21 pm I have been thinking about this without purse or script thought. What a hard experience and how often we condemn. The early apostles did that. The early missionaries of the church did that. Lehi did that, Nephi did that when he went back for the plates, the brother of Jared did that, brother yun from the Heavenly Man did that, Corrie ten boom ( Tramp for the Lord) did that, afshin javid did that. All from a commitment to do as the Lord desires regardless the pain, embarrassment, and condemnation that may follow. That must be humiliating to be condemned for going for total reliance on the Lord, moment by moment and yet the Lord said it would be so. You must be willing to lay it all on the line regardless of how humiliating it may be.
That is very similar to Laman and Lemuel and their comments about their father being a visionary man and following imaginary direction.
I won't condemn Dustin for this. That truly lies between him and God. It seems to me ,according to scripture, whether it is Daniel, Jeremiah, revelations, Isaiah, we will all experience this. I think a person who has done it will be a great mentor as we head into the tribulations that will presently be upon us and get to have this situation forced upon us.
The problem is, Dustin was never called by God to speak in His name or to do what he is doing. The scriptures warn us about people who claim to be servants of God when in reality they were never called by Him.

Dustin has been without a job, and a stable home for his wife and seven kids for 5 years now. It’s time for Dustin and Phil to grow up and put an end to this fantasy world that they have been living in.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Would people tied to DoC say Phil has ever produced scripture? I'm not saying a prophet can only be defined by (and I'm not sure if Phil claims the title of prophet) producing scripture, but I would say prophets generally do and that it can be compelling material for their claims of receiving profound revelation and having a role to teach others.

I see that Phil does have a number of stories of what he claims to be otherworldly encounters. I can accept that as at least attempts to offer something compelling to support his claims.

I'm getting the vibe that this group is in decline and unlikely to reach a higher point of interest or relevance than whatever was previously its highest moment of relevance.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

IcedKoffee wrote: July 26th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: July 26th, 2022, 3:33 pm
IcedKoffee wrote: July 26th, 2022, 3:06 pm I’m not sure if this was the exact moment when “it happened” (Joseph laying his hands on him to confer the fullness of the priesthood) but we were all at a camp retreat when Phil claims to have ascended to the throne room of God. According to him he was brought into the presence of God the Father, Jesus Christ, and Joseph Smith. Afterwards he did indeed say that Joseph placed his hands on him. Whether or not he claims to have received the fullness at that point I can’t say for certain. But I have heard him say on a few occasions that he has received the FOP. Mike Stroud was also a part of our camp retreat. It was like watching a battle of the Gurus!
This seems like a separate event from when he felt the prints is Jesus' hands and feet.

This is a throne theophany event which is typical of an OT calling to be a prophet, but he doesn't claim to be a prophet. Fascinating!

I imagine Phil meeting Stroud to be a disastrous outcome, what was the outcome of that?
“This seems like a separate event from when he felt the prints is Jesus' hands and feet.”

Yes, that event happened much earlier.

“I imagine Phil meeting Stroud to be a disastrous outcome, what was the outcome of that?”

Phil, myself and Mike Stroud we’re all mentored by the same individual. He was there at the retreat as well. Phil is usually well behaved whenever he’s around.

Mike Stroud on the other hand was a bit of a prima donna. He got mad that we were speaking out against the brethren and decided to spend the majority of the time at the retreat by himself. He was gone so long one day that we had to send out a couple of people to search for him to make sure he was ok. We were all kind of taken back by it. A little while after the retreat Phil and I would come across people who were either a part of Strouds group or had been taught by him directly. We were told some wild stories. In my opinion Mike Stroud is more dangerous then Phil. Anyone in his circle of influence should beware.
Was this at the Parowan Gap?

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 29th, 2022, 6:23 pm Anybody else question what Joseph, according to Phil, has been doing since he was commissioned at Adam-ondi-Ahman in 2017 for the last 5-6 years?

I guess Phil would say the Lord is simply preparing him, right? Or did he translate a boatload of scripture and he is waiting to hit upload.
He's supposed to be somewhere in Central America translating scripture.

IcedKoffee
captain of 100

Post by IcedKoffee »

pjbrownie wrote: August 13th, 2022, 8:15 pm
IcedKoffee wrote: July 26th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: July 26th, 2022, 3:33 pm
IcedKoffee wrote: July 26th, 2022, 3:06 pm I’m not sure if this was the exact moment when “it happened” (Joseph laying his hands on him to confer the fullness of the priesthood) but we were all at a camp retreat when Phil claims to have ascended to the throne room of God. According to him he was brought into the presence of God the Father, Jesus Christ, and Joseph Smith. Afterwards he did indeed say that Joseph placed his hands on him. Whether or not he claims to have received the fullness at that point I can’t say for certain. But I have heard him say on a few occasions that he has received the FOP. Mike Stroud was also a part of our camp retreat. It was like watching a battle of the Gurus!
This seems like a separate event from when he felt the prints is Jesus' hands and feet.

This is a throne theophany event which is typical of an OT calling to be a prophet, but he doesn't claim to be a prophet. Fascinating!

I imagine Phil meeting Stroud to be a disastrous outcome, what was the outcome of that?
“This seems like a separate event from when he felt the prints is Jesus' hands and feet.”

Yes, that event happened much earlier.

“I imagine Phil meeting Stroud to be a disastrous outcome, what was the outcome of that?”

Phil, myself and Mike Stroud we’re all mentored by the same individual. He was there at the retreat as well. Phil is usually well behaved whenever he’s around.

Mike Stroud on the other hand was a bit of a prima donna. He got mad that we were speaking out against the brethren and decided to spend the majority of the time at the retreat by himself. He was gone so long one day that we had to send out a couple of people to search for him to make sure he was ok. We were all kind of taken back by it. A little while after the retreat Phil and I would come across people who were either a part of Strouds group or had been taught by him directly. We were told some wild stories. In my opinion Mike Stroud is more dangerous then Phil. Anyone in his circle of influence should beware.
Was this at the Parowan Gap?

No, this retreat was held at a friend’s private ranch.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I watched that 1 hour interview Isbell did with Dustin. I hope Dustin and his wife find stability. I empathize and agree with their disillusionment in the daily life of modernity that they touched on, but they have 5 kids (or was it more than that?). Those kids need a steady, consistent roof over their head and structure. Isbell seems like a kind, sincere person. I feel like I just don't understand the Doctrine of Christ group. I was just looking at their website today and on their published reports/paper (not sure what to call them), I see Dustin has written a lot, and I don't see any written by Phil Davis (whom I understand is the head of this group), but I do see some material published by Administrator who may be Phil Davis. After reading parts I was most interested in, I'm now currently reading all of PJ Brownie's paper on remnant groups and I'm sure that will give me a better idea of this group.

I'd love to find something that feels exciting and alive in Mormonism, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure this group is what they proclaim to be. I find them (particularly the head of this group) lacking in compelling substance compared to contemporary groups that are comparable to this but I'm not trying to kick them while they're down

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

BuriedTartaria wrote: August 13th, 2022, 11:52 pm I watched that 1 hour interview Isbell did with Dustin. I hope Dustin and his wife find stability. I empathize and agree with their disillusionment in the daily life of modernity that they touched on, but they have 5 kids (or was it more than that?). Those kids need a steady, consistent roof over their head and structure. Isbell seems like a kind, sincere person. I feel like I just don't understand the Doctrine of Christ group. I was just looking at their website today and on their published reports/paper (not sure what to call them), I see Dustin has written a lot, and I don't see any written by Phil Davis (whom I understand is the head of this group), but I do see some material published by Administrator who may be Phil Davis. After reading parts I was most interested in, I'm now currently reading all of PJ Brownie's paper on remnant groups and I'm sure that will give me a better idea of this group.

I'd love to find something that feels exciting and alive in Mormonism, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure this group is what they proclaim to be. I find them (particularly the head of this group) lacking in compelling substance compared to contemporary groups that are comparable to this but I'm not trying to kick them while they're down
Yeah, for real! They have 7 kids! 8 months to 18 years. Take care of your kids! I am watching the video right now... I too empathize with them. I don't know what to think about anything anymore... Where is the fine line between mental illness and a spiritual experience?

I am still drawn to the movement that started with Denver Snuffer's ten talks. And he hasn't come off as mentally ill to me at all yet.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

OH my goodness. The Smith's dog died and they are referring to him as their "son". Weird! I love my cats, they are my fur babies, and I would be / have been sad when they have gone missing or died. But that's not the same thing as losing your child and I would never refer to them as my "son" or "daughter".

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

BuriedTartaria wrote: August 13th, 2022, 11:52 pm I watched that 1 hour interview Isbell did with Dustin. I hope Dustin and his wife find stability. I empathize and agree with their disillusionment in the daily life of modernity that they touched on, but they have 5 kids (or was it more than that?). Those kids need a steady, consistent roof over their head and structure. Isbell seems like a kind, sincere person. I feel like I just don't understand the Doctrine of Christ group. I was just looking at their website today and on their published reports/paper (not sure what to call them), I see Dustin has written a lot, and I don't see any written by Phil Davis (whom I understand is the head of this group), but I do see some material published by Administrator who may be Phil Davis. After reading parts I was most interested in, I'm now currently reading all of PJ Brownie's paper on remnant groups and I'm sure that will give me a better idea of this group.

I’ve researched the group as well. They seem like nice people but they are a little too hung up on spiritual experiences and Joseph Smith.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Mamabear wrote: August 14th, 2022, 5:12 am

I’ve researched the group as well. They seem like nice people but they are a little too hung up on spiritual experiences and Joseph Smith.
I don’t think so.

They’re hung up on THEIR version of spiritual experience (i.e. if someone receives the Second Comforter in a way not described by Phil et al., it wasn’t the real thing), and THEIR version of Joseph Smith (ignoring all his teachings on the ordinances of the House of the Lord, and, in my opinion, Celestial Plural Marriage - among other things).

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Shawn Henry wrote: July 26th, 2022, 2:54 pm
Chris wrote: July 26th, 2022, 12:59 pm You pass over ALL the prophecies of him talking about the church being established in the rocky mountains, and how brigham will be the leader, you pass over all the dozens of people who saw the mantle of joseph fall on brigham. You pass over all the many thousands of prophecies and experiences of 1000's of saints
You mean all the non-contemporary accounts that the saints wrote after they were in the Rockies? I know of accounts that can actually be traced back to Joseph speaking of both Texas and Canada as new gathering places.

There are no prophecies that BY will be the new leader. In Michael D. Quinn's book he does list 3 or 4 quotes from others saying that Joseph said if BY ever led this church he would lead it to hell. Shouldn't we take those into account as well?

All the quotes, whether real or not, are moot because we have what the Lord spoke on the matter in the D&C. He designated where the Stakes of Zion were and gave a specific revelation for each Stake. He then also said that there would be no more places appointed until the ones that had been appointed were filled. We did not fill them. We got kicked out of Nauvoo by the Lord for disobedience. The scriptures are quite clear that Zion is not the whole of North and South America. How would a "Cry go forth" to physically gather to one place when everywhere is that one place? The trumpet is blown to let us know not to gather but to stay in our homes?

Why are you not quoting the Lord when he has spoken on the matter?
Do you have a list of which stakes were officially designated? If not, what would be the best way for me to find them? A text search of D&C, or are there other ones outside of the D&C?

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Do you know the difference between thedoctrineofchrist.com and doctrineofchrist.com?

From what I can see looking at them the first one mentions Phil and links to his zoom meetings he does as well as info about the cottage meetings they do. The second one doesn't seem to be officially connected to him.

It's interesting that I didn't see this thread when it first started. I'm pretty active on here and had never heard of Phil that I recall. Then I attended one of the cottage meetings after being invited by a friend from our homeschool group and Phil's name kept coming up, and I kept thinking, "Who is Phil?" Somehow I had missed this entire thread. Lots of interesting information being shared here.

Of course, the early church had plenty of drama around Joseph Smith, but I also get the feeling that this movement is something I'm wanting to get involved with. At least not the core group. The group I met with up in Cache Valley seemed to all be good people that I wouldn't mind associating with more.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Lemarque wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm

Do you know the difference between thedoctrineofchrist.com and doctrineofchrist.com?

From what I can see looking at them the first one mentions Phil and links to his zoom meetings he does as well as info about the cottage meetings they do. The second one doesn't seem to be officially connected to him.

It's interesting that I didn't see this thread when it first started. I'm pretty active on here and had never heard of Phil that I recall. Then I attended one of the cottage meetings after being invited by a friend from our homeschool group and Phil's name kept coming up, and I kept thinking, "Who is Phil?" Somehow I had missed this entire thread. Lots of interesting information being shared here.

Of course, the early church had plenty of drama around Joseph Smith, but I also get the feeling that this movement is something I'm wanting to get involved with. At least not the core group. The group I met with up in Cache Valley seemed to all be good people that I wouldn't mind associating with more.
They are both the same people. There is truth there but are still talking about Phil Davis. My suggestion to you would be to read pjbrownie's expose on the remnant groups and pray about it. And make sure you get a confirmation loud and clear whatever you do.
Last edited by solonan on August 14th, 2022, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Since I recommended it here is pjbrownie's report.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqcqiBg4v-M3-AXTG8_ ... g?e=U3Th6s

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Wolfwoman wrote: August 14th, 2022, 4:42 am

Yeah, for real! They have 7 kids! 8 months to 18 years. Take care of your kids! I am watching the video right now... I too empathize with them. I don't know what to think about anything anymore... Where is the fine line between mental illness and a spiritual experience?

I am still drawn to the movement that started with Denver Snuffer's ten talks. And he hasn't come off as mentally ill to me at all yet.
It helps when everyone is basically left to govern themselves and their own fellowships. It's a feature and a bug at the same time.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Lemarque wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:41 pm Do you have a list of which stakes were officially designated? If not, what would be the best way for me to find them? A text search of D&C, or are there other ones outside of the D&C?
Each place they gathered was by its own revelation; Kirtland, Jackson County, Far West, and Nauvoo. When the saints were scattered and split into several factions, that's when revelation ceased. There is no revelation accompanying the establishing of SLC.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

solonan wrote: August 14th, 2022, 3:35 pm

They are both the same people. There is truth there but are still talking about Phil Davis. My suggestion to you would be to read pjbrownie's expose on the remnant groups and pray about it. And make sure you get a confirmation loud and clear whatever you do.
So the long and short is that www.doctrineofchrist.com was the original website and it's brainchild was Mark Curtis, who was part of the original DOC but not orthodox. He was tolerant of Phil's ideas and doctrine, but not an adherent. He had his own vision, and facilitated the Phil movement on his website.

Then they parted ways. Phil has been correlating, and those that aren't correlated in the inner circle were not longer welcome. This included Mark as well as others like Justin Griffin. Justin owned the domain.

Because the project was owned by others, Phil and the rest of his inner circle went out and formed www.thedoctrineofchrist.com which is more Phileqsue than the first and includes the idea that you have to baptized with Phil's form of Melchizedek priesthood.

I hear that Phil has also recently lost www.thedoctrineofchrist.com because the guy that owns that . . . has also been kicked out.

For any interested, I've set up a new Facebook page with Justin and others, called https://www.facebook.com/groups/discussdoctrineofchrist, which is nondenominational. We advocate for no sect or group and seek to not disparage any group, including the LDS Church. The focus is on teachings and ideas, not dogma. There are adherents of Phil, Denver, PR (Anonymous), Rob Smith, and others on there. That's okay. We're trying to create a wider remnant net to help people who want a different path but don't necessarily know which way to go. We want to give them options to pursue without advocating for any one movement.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

pjbrownie wrote: August 18th, 2022, 4:55 pm

I hear that Phil has also recently lost www.thedoctrineofchrist.com because the guy that owns that . . . has also been kicked out.

For any interested, I've set up a new Facebook page with Justin and others, called Doctrine of Christ Discussions, which is nondenominational. We advocate for no sect or group and seek to not disparage any group, including the LDS Church. The focus is on teachings and ideas, not dogma. There are adherents of Phil, Denver, PR (Anonymous), Rob Smith, and others on there. That's okay. We're trying to create a wider remnant net to help people who want a different path but don't necessarily know which way to go. We want to give them options to pursue without advocating for any one movement.
I think this is a great idea. Do you think Phil Davis' message can recover from the bleeding that is going on?
Lemarque wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm Do you know the difference between thedoctrineofchrist.com and doctrineofchrist.com?
I did not know about the two different sites. My comment was only about doctrineofchrist.com. Thanks for the additional info.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

BuriedTartaria wrote: August 18th, 2022, 8:06 pm

For any interested, I've set up a new Facebook page with Justin and others, called Doctrine of Christ Discussions, which is nondenominational. We advocate for no sect or group and seek to not disparage any group, including the LDS Church. The focus is on teachings and ideas, not dogma. There are adherents of Phil, Denver, PR (Anonymous), Rob Smith, and others on there. That's okay. We're trying to create a wider remnant net to help people who want a different path but don't necessarily know which way to go. We want to give them options to pursue without advocating for any one movement.
I think this is a great idea. Do you think Phil Davis' message can recover from the bleeding that is going on?
Lemarque wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm Do you know the difference between thedoctrineofchrist.com and doctrineofchrist.com?
I did not know about the two different sites. My comment was only about doctrineofchrist.com. Thanks for the additional info.
Maybe, if they can pull back some of the cultish aspects. Right now, the Davis group is on their way to Chad Daybell territory.

IcedKoffee
captain of 100

Post by IcedKoffee »

pjbrownie wrote: August 19th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Maybe, if they can pull back some of the cultish aspects. Right now, the Davis group is on their way to Chad Daybell territory.
“Right now, the Davis group is on their way to Chad Daybell territory.”

And this is what those of us who parted ways with Phil early on are worried about. Phil is an extremist, so the possibility of his group doing something crazy is very real.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

IcedKoffee wrote: August 19th, 2022, 2:25 pm
pjbrownie wrote: August 19th, 2022, 1:22 pm

“Right now, the Davis group is on their way to Chad Daybell territory.”

And this is what those of us who parted ways with Phil early on are worried about. Phil is an extremist, so the possibility of his group doing something crazy is very real.
One of his videos inspired the thought of an Intense ILS guy, similar to the Panicky Man. :lol:

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

I'm still playing catch up. I know about Denver Snuffer, Phil Davis, and Pure Revelations, but never heard of Rob Smith or Chad Daybell before. Can someone clarify?