Not what you think...Mount of Olives

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Not what you think...Mount of Olives

Post by Pazooka »

Is Zechariah’s foretelling of the Second Coming of Jesus to the Jews in Jerusalem a description of Him coming to save them from destruction? Or is it an additional witness of John the Revelator’s vision of Israel being reaped and thrown into the winepress?

In Zechariah 14, the people of Jerusalem are being plundered, ravished and taken captive and attacked. Vs 3 talks about the Lord going forth to “fight against those nations” but does not say he will save the Israelites.
And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
So, here we have John’s “Lamb” as described in Rev 14, and “with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.”

He stands on the mount of Olives, to the east of Jerusalem, and the earth opens up, creating one big pit into which the people flee. Notice that it opens up all the way to “Azal” - which shares it root with Azazel and means to be “cast out.” These people are going into “the pit” just like how the angel of Rev 14 “gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God” in the SAME location where Christ wrought the Atonement - - the location of the Garden of Gethsamane. ”And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles” (vs 20).

This is perfectly prefigured in the sacrificial rituals surrounding the Passover, in the temple at Jerusalem. There were drain holes at the base of the altar where the blood of the sin offerings was poured. At Passover, the holes were deliberately plugged, and with the slaughtering of each lamb per family, the courtyard flowed with blood up to the ankles of the priests (Talmud, Pesachim 64a-65b). After the sacrifices ceased, the courtyard was rinsed, just like after the sacrifice of the Israelites it is said “that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half toward the hinder sea” (Zech 14:8)

When Zechariah 13:1 says that “In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness” he was not speaking of them repenting and accepting baptism. Otherwise, the rest of the chapter makes zero sense. NO, this is a “fountain” as in an “issue of blood.” This is their D&C 19 moment:
...surely every man must repent or suffer...repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore - how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not. For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent.
This is all done in the “Valley where Yahweh shall judge” - the Valley of Jehoshaphat - the Kidron Valley, whose brook carried away the blood of offerings to the Dead Sea. This is the cleansing of the altar - the cleansing of the land (altar = the earth with its four corners), commensurate with the burning of the ungodly. This is the “sin offering” of a covenant people who reject Christ. These are the foolish virgins buying their oil.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Not what you think...Mount of Olives

Post by Pazooka »

It’s funny, because we have scriptures like the following yet we still hold, in our tradition, that the Jews will be converted once the evidence is shown them in that moment Christ comes to them from heaven. It doesn’t make sense that they can deny Christ and then be saved by Him - rather than receiving judgment from Him. It would be saving them in their sins, wouldn’t it? That’s why I’m thinking these scriptures regarding the Mount of Olives are describing a judgement upon the Jews.
17 Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe.
18 Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it.
22 And now, behold, I say unto you, and I would that ye should remember, that God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therefore he desireth, in the first place, that ye should believe, yea, even on his word.

~ Alma 31

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Pazooka wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:34 am It’s funny, because we have scriptures like the following yet we still hold, in our tradition, that the Jews will be converted once the evidence is shown them in that moment Christ comes to them from heaven. It doesn’t make sense that they can deny Christ and then be saved by Him - rather than receiving judgment from Him. It would be saving them in their sins, wouldn’t it? That’s why I’m thinking these scriptures regarding the Mount of Olives are describing a judgement upon the Jews.
17 Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe.
18 Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it.
22 And now, behold, I say unto you, and I would that ye should remember, that God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therefore he desireth, in the first place, that ye should believe, yea, even on his word.

~ Alma 31
You might be right about this. I was about to post some verses that I thought were a sure "gotcha" to reaffirm the literalness of the event, but I was surprised to find that the scriptures I had in mind do not appear as literal as I remembered them to be:

D&C 45:47 – 53:
47 Then shall the arm of the Lord fall upon the nations.
48 And then shall the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain, and the earth shall tremble, and reel to and fro, and the heavens also shall shake.
49 And the Lord shall utter his voice, and all the ends of the earth shall hear it; and the nations of the earth shall mourn, and they that have laughed shall see their folly.
50 And calamity shall cover the mocker, and the scorner shall be consumed; and they that have watched for iniquity shall be hewn down and cast into the fire.
51 And then shall the Jews look upon me and say: What are these wounds in thine hands and in thy feet?
52 Then shall they know that I am the Lord; for I will say unto them: These wounds are the wounds with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. I am he who was lifted up. I am Jesus that was crucified. I am the Son of God.
53 And then shall they weep because of their iniquities; then shall they lament because they persecuted their king.
D&C 133:17 – 25:
17 For behold, the Lord God hath sent forth the angel crying through the midst of heaven, saying: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight, for the hour of his coming is nigh—
18 When the Lamb shall stand upon Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand, having his Father’s name written on their foreheads.
19 Wherefore, prepare ye for the coming of the Bridegroom; go ye, go ye out to meet him.
20 For behold, he shall stand upon the mount of Olivet, and upon the mighty ocean, even the great deep, and upon the islands of the sea, and upon the land of Zion.
21 And he shall utter his voice out of Zion, and he shall speak from Jerusalem, and his voice shall be heard among all people;
22 And it shall be a voice as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder, which shall break down the mountains, and the valleys shall not be found.
23 He shall command the great deep, and it shall be driven back into the north countries, and the islands shall become one land;
24 And the land of Jerusalem and the land of Zion shall be turned back into their own place, and the earth shall be like as it was in the days before it was divided.
25 And the Lord, even the Savior, shall stand in the midst of his people, and shall reign over all flesh.
The parallels between these passages suggest a great amount of symbolism, unless the Lord is supposed to speak to all the world as he literally stands on the ocean and then on the islands, and then upon the land of Zion, etc. Of course, that may all occur in the process of his reign upon the earth, but I suspect the language is meant to convey that his reign will not only be from the rivers to the ends of the earth but also across the oceans and all islands in them, a first for this contended world.

It is valuable to note which prophecies have a physical and literal expectation and which do not. We probably confuse the two more often than we think and it will be marvelous in our eyes when the Lord shows us how they were all variously fulfilled in ways we have not considered, much like the disciples on the road to Emmaus.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Baurak Ale wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:06 am
Pazooka wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:34 am It’s funny, because we have scriptures like the following yet we still hold, in our tradition, that the Jews will be converted once the evidence is shown them in that moment Christ comes to them from heaven. It doesn’t make sense that they can deny Christ and then be saved by Him - rather than receiving judgment from Him. It would be saving them in their sins, wouldn’t it? That’s why I’m thinking these scriptures regarding the Mount of Olives are describing a judgement upon the Jews.

~ Alma 31
You might be right about this. I was about to post some verses that I thought were a sure "gotcha" to reaffirm the literalness of the event, but I was surprised to find that the scriptures I had in mind do not appear as literal as I remembered them to be:

D&C 45:47 – 53:
47 Then shall the arm of the Lord fall upon the nations.
48 And then shall the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain, and the earth shall tremble, and reel to and fro, and the heavens also shall shake.
49 And the Lord shall utter his voice, and all the ends of the earth shall hear it; and the nations of the earth shall mourn, and they that have laughed shall see their folly.
50 And calamity shall cover the mocker, and the scorner shall be consumed; and they that have watched for iniquity shall be hewn down and cast into the fire.
51 And then shall the Jews look upon me and say: What are these wounds in thine hands and in thy feet?
52 Then shall they know that I am the Lord; for I will say unto them: These wounds are the wounds with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. I am he who was lifted up. I am Jesus that was crucified. I am the Son of God.
53 And then shall they weep because of their iniquities; then shall they lament because they persecuted their king.
D&C 133:17 – 25:
17 For behold, the Lord God hath sent forth the angel crying through the midst of heaven, saying: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight, for the hour of his coming is nigh—
18 When the Lamb shall stand upon Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand, having his Father’s name written on their foreheads.
19 Wherefore, prepare ye for the coming of the Bridegroom; go ye, go ye out to meet him.
20 For behold, he shall stand upon the mount of Olivet, and upon the mighty ocean, even the great deep, and upon the islands of the sea, and upon the land of Zion.
21 And he shall utter his voice out of Zion, and he shall speak from Jerusalem, and his voice shall be heard among all people;
22 And it shall be a voice as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder, which shall break down the mountains, and the valleys shall not be found.
23 He shall command the great deep, and it shall be driven back into the north countries, and the islands shall become one land;
24 And the land of Jerusalem and the land of Zion shall be turned back into their own place, and the earth shall be like as it was in the days before it was divided.
25 And the Lord, even the Savior, shall stand in the midst of his people, and shall reign over all flesh.
The parallels between these passages suggest a great amount of symbolism, unless the Lord is supposed to speak to all the world as he literally stands on the ocean and then on the islands, and then upon the land of Zion, etc. Of course, that may all occur in the process of his reign upon the earth, but I suspect the language is meant to convey that his reign will not only be from the rivers to the ends of the earth but also across the oceans and all islands in them, a first for this contended world.

It is valuable to note which prophecies have a physical and literal expectation and which do not. We probably confuse the two more often than we think and it will be marvelous in our eyes when the Lord shows us how they were all variously fulfilled in ways we have not considered, much like the disciples on the road to Emmaus.
Exactly. I was only looking into it because of passages in Rev 14 and I found that those scriptures weren’t as literal as I remembered them, like you said. And it pulls a lot of things together: the location fo the Mount and its association with the “winepress” of the wrath of God and the parable of the wise and foolish virgins, etc. I thought it was pretty exciting. Thanks for your interest.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

There is this notion that the Jews are a single entity. Some Jews have converted to Christianity, actually far more than one might think and not all by force. I've know a few Jews or Jewish families who have converted to the LDS sincerely.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Niemand wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:41 am There is this notion that the Jews are a single entity. Some Jews have converted to Christianity, actually far more than one might think and not all by force. I've know a few Jews or Jewish families who have converted to the LDS sincerely.
It’s kinda like what Baurak was saying - this is probably not strictly literal just like the wise and foolish virgins is not literal. This is a judgment upon those who profess a relationship with God but haven’t received of Christ’s oil in their vessels, freely given, because of unbelief (this applies more broadly than just to Jews - these are those deceived by the false traditions rampant among Christianity that make the power of God to none effect in one’s life). They are thrown into the winepress that is the “valley,” at the “Mount of Olives”, created by the coming of Christ in judgement. He is Rev 14’s figure who thrusts in his sickle to reap the earth.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Isn’t this describing, exactly, a Mount of Olives event? Does it sound like there will be repentance available in the “day of visitation” for the Jews?
1 And now, I speak also concerning those who do not believe in Christ.
2 Behold, will ye believe in the day of your visitation—behold, when the Lord shall come, yea, even that great day when the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, yea, in that great day when ye shall be brought to stand before the Lamb of God—then will ye say that there is no God?
3 Then will ye longer deny the Christ, or can ye behold the Lamb of God? Do ye suppose that ye shall dwell with him under a consciousness of your guilt? Do ye suppose that ye could be happy to dwell with that holy Being, when your souls are racked with a consciousness of guilt that ye have ever abused his laws?
4 Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell.
5 For behold, when ye shall be brought to see your nakedness before God, and also the glory of God, and the holiness of Jesus Christ, it will kindle a flame of unquenchable fire upon you.
6 O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be foundd spotless, pure, fair, and white, having been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day. ~ Mormon 9

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Moroni quoting Jesus:
Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature;
And he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned.

~ Mormon 9:22-23

Doesn’t that apply to the unbelieving of the Jews? Or are they saved solely by virtue of Abraham being their father?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Ye shall flee as ye fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah
{Uzziah’s} pride led to his downfall. He entered the Temple to burn incense on the altar of incense. Azariah the high priest saw this as an attempt to usurp the prerogatives of the priests and confronted him with a band of eighty priests, saying, "It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the Lord, but for the priests, the sons of Aaron, who are consecrated to burn incense." (2 Chronicles 26:18). In the meantime a great earthquake shook the ground, and a rent was made in the temple, and the bright rays of the sun shone through it, and fell upon the king's face, insomuch that the leprosy (Hebrew: tzaraath) seized upon him immediately (Josephus Flavius, Antiquities IX 10:4). Uzziah was suddenly struck with leprosy before he had offered the incense (2 Chronicles 26:19), and he was driven from the Temple and compelled to reside in "a separate house" until his death (2 Kings 15:5, 27; 2 Chronicles 26:3). The government was turned over to his son Jotham (2 Kings 15:5), a coregency that lasted for the last 11 years of Uzziah's life (751/750 to 740/739 BC).

He was buried in a separate grave "in the field of the burial which belonged to the kings" (2 Kings 15:7; 2 Chronicles 26:23).
~ Wikipedia

Trying to figure out what the earthquake alluded to by Zechariah can teach us about the future Mt of Olives experience.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Baurak Ale wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:06 am And then shall the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain,
Mount or mountain can mean nation, right? So this language reminds me of all the dreams and visions that have seen America get split in two by a large Madrid fault line earthquake. This is the nation he sets his foot when he comes to his temple, to Zion.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Shawn Henry wrote: April 10th, 2022, 5:37 pm
Baurak Ale wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:06 am And then shall the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain,
Mount or mountain can mean nation, right? So this language reminds me of all the dreams and visions that have seen America get split in two by a large Madrid fault line earthquake. This is the nation he sets his foot when he comes to his temple, to Zion.
While mountain can mean “nation” in prophet language, the saying And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east makes me think this is not one of those cases.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Pazooka wrote: April 10th, 2022, 5:49 pm
While mountain can mean “nation” in prophet language, the saying And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east makes me think this is not one of those cases.
Olives=Olive tree=12 Olive trees=House of Israel

So he stands on the nation of the House of Israel.

I have no idea though, honestly. The verse I quoted sounded right in that context, but I haven't read the Mount of Olive verses, so I sadly admit I have not rendered this topic it's due diligence.

I do believe though when Mulek came to America that he transferred not only the kingship line but also the lands of their inheritance and who knows what else.

I believe these Khazarian Jews are not the real blood line and that they have usurped the name. The Israel promises are House of Israel not some country that calls itself by that name.

Another interesting point. When the scriptures talk about the Jews gathering it is after they begin to believe. That never happened in the old world, but it did happen when Joseph Smith (half Jewish) and many English converts who were Jewish came to America.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

D&C 133 gives further information regarding the nature of Christ’s coming to the Mount of Olives.

First, the mention of the tribe of Judah, that “after their pain, shall be sanctified in holiness before the Lord” - their D&C 19 experience (“every man must repent or suffer...even as I”)

D&C 133:50-51

I have trodden the wine-press alone...I have trampled them in my fury, and I did tread upon them in mine anger, and their blood have I sprinkled upon my garments, and stained all my raiment; for this was the day of vengeance which was in my heart.

Rev 14:18-20

Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe...And the angel...gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress.

First the wrath, then the mercy. Reproving with sharpness, then showing afterwards an increase of love toward him thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Pazooka wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:39 pm D&C 133 gives further information regarding the nature of Christ’s coming to the Mount of Olives.

First, the mention of the tribe of Judah, that “after their pain, shall be sanctified in holiness before the Lord” - their D&C 19 experience (“every man must repent or suffer...even as I”)

I have trodden the wine-press alone...I have trampled them in my fury, and I did tread upon them in mine anger, and their blood have I sprinkled upon my garments, and stained all my raiment; for this was the day of vengeance which was in my heart.

Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe...And the angel...gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress.

First the wrath, then the mercy. Reproving with sharpness, then showing afterwards an increase of love toward him thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy.
The blogger Watcher makes a real good case that those sanctified "after their pain" are the latter-day saints. Many latter-day saints are the ones with Jewish blood in their veins.

Besides, we can know for sure that this is not a reference to those in the middle east who claim the lineage because the scriptures tell us that they gather after they begin to believe, and they gathered without any belief in Christ whatsoever.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 11th, 2023, 11:46 am
Pazooka wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:39 pm D&C 133 gives further information regarding the nature of Christ’s coming to the Mount of Olives.

The blogger Watcher makes a real good case that those sanctified "after their pain" are the latter-day saints. Many latter-day saints are the ones with Jewish blood in their veins.

Besides, we can know for sure that this is not a reference to those in the middle east who claim the lineage because the scriptures tell us that they gather after they begin to believe, and they gathered without any belief in Christ whatsoever.
What reference are you using for “they gather after they begin to believe”?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Pazooka wrote: January 11th, 2023, 12:08 pm What reference are you using for “they gather after they begin to believe”?
2 Nephi 30:7

7 And it shall come to pass that the Jews which are scattered also shall begin to believe in Christ; and they shall begin to gather in upon the face of the land; and as many as shall believe in Christ shall also become a delightsome people.

Here's an article about it. I only skimmed it though.
https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org ... ering-jews

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 11th, 2023, 12:42 pm
Pazooka wrote: January 11th, 2023, 12:08 pm What reference are you using for “they gather after they begin to believe”?
2 Nephi 30:7

7 And it shall come to pass that the Jews which are scattered also shall begin to believe in Christ; and they shall begin to gather in upon the face of the land; and as many as shall believe in Christ shall also become a delightsome people.

Here's an article about it. I only skimmed it though.
https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org ... ering-jews
Yeah, I don’t have an answer for that since I don’t know what exactly beginning “to believe in Christ” constitutes according to God. Is it the literal definition of “Christ” as “Messiah”? Or is it a reference to Jesus? (There is overlap, obviously)

But D&C 133 does specify him standing upon “the mount of Olivet” - as well as “upon the mighty ocean, even the great deep, and upon the islands of the sea, and upon the land of Zion.”

But let’s be honest, anyone who doesn’t repent will only be saved “after their pain” - Jew or Gentile

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Matthew 7 wrote: 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Matthew 25 wrote: 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Even in the contrary verses you posted, you can find a pattern. For example:
3 Then will ye longer deny the Christ, or can ye behold the Lamb of God? Do ye suppose that ye shall dwell with him under a consciousness of your guilt? Do ye suppose that ye could be happy to dwell with that holy Being, when your souls are racked with a consciousness of guilt that ye have ever abused his laws?
Another quote:
Jesus wrote: But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
It would be hard to be more clear

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Where is there examples of a nation as a mountain?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:00 am
Where is there examples of a nation as a mountain?
That's Gileadi's interpretation. I haven't vetted it, it just seemed to always fit naturally. Mountains are nations, hills are smaller nations, trees are people, etc.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:00 am Where is there examples of a nation as a mountain?
Oops, duplicate post.