How to survive a nuclear war (preps vs fallout and contamination)

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How to survive a nuclear war (preps vs fallout and contamination)

Post by Niemand »

JK4Woods wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 7:20 pm]
Not really….
Chernobyl released more radiation than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.
It drifted across Eastern Europe up over Finland.
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were small first generation weapons from over seventy years ago.

Chernobyl's radiation was leaked over an extended period.
To see past this number, we need to trace again the path of the wind from Chernobyl. Before turning south towards Kyiv at the beginning of May, it had been blowing north-east from the plant towards Moscow. To prevent a radioactive thunderstorm deluging the capital of the Soviet Union, Soviet air force pilots were ordered to intercept and seed the clouds over rural Belarus.

On the twentieth anniversary of the Chernobyl accident, major Aleksei Grushin, who led the operation, received an award for bravery from the hands of Vladimir Putin. As a result of that human-made rain, the south of the Belarusian Republic was covertly blanketed with a radioactive soup.
https://theecologist.org/2019/nov/20/where-wind-blows

The contamination from Fukushima has also been detected as far away as South America.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I plan on living through a nuclear attack with the skills I learned in elementary school
Attachments
duck and cover.jpg
duck and cover.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 467 times

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Momma J wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 2:44 pm I plan on living through a nuclear attack with the skills I learned in elementary school

Nice photo… almost useless as a drill.

More meaningful would have been instructions on how to decontaminate, oneself, and wash away drifting fallout.

Also the importance of potassium tablets to pre-load your thyroid, and in having a stock of “brewers yeast” to help the body shed heavy metals and radioactive particles.

Just a week or two of reading, and some judicious purchases, will help your whole family survive.

Biggest threat to suburban victims is the 4 psi over pressure out to about 8 miles from ground zero.

Newer built homes to earthquake and hurricane codes should be resilient enough to stay standing after the over pressure blasts by. (That’s what the duck and cover drills were for… to avoid being sliced to pieces by flying glass shards).

Anyway, the broken windows can be sealed up with heavy visqueen and a hammer stapler. (Be quick about it!).

Biggest problem is fire.

Since the light flash ignites flammable structures in a circular pattern around ground zero, out to about four miles, it’ll be a huge burning ring of fire burning in whatever direction the wind is blowing.

Be hopeful the wind isn’t blowing in your direction after the mushroom cloud dissipates. As the fire will grow mostly in that direction.

Even if you are up wind, the fires can spread your direction at a slower pace, due to the Proximity of the kindling structures we call homes….

Fire fighting departments will be overwhelmed.

Think of a thousand house and business fires all around the city all at once.

You’ll be on your own.
That’s why, if you have a swimming pool, better get a harbor freight gas powered trash pump, with hoses and fittings and spare gas, and a set of flame retardant overalls and a face shield and gloves, so you can become your own neighborhood fire department.

You’ll find it’s better to fight the encroaching fires several houses away to protect your own, and all your stored preps. The idea is to have a buffer of three or four houses still standing once you’ve got the fires out in your neighborhood.

You’ll need Neighbors to band together for defense and a nucleus of a relief system.

Just saving your own house from burning down, will inevitably become a target by the looters, gangs, and refugee mobs….

While fighting the neighborhood fires, best have the rest of the family unload all your preps from the flammable part of your house, and put them in a far corner of your yard. Lest you can’t save your house after all.

Anyway… put some time into thinking thru various scenarios and you’ll be one thousand times more likely to be the leader of the able bodied survivors.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

JK4Woods~ Thank you for a very informative response to my tongue in cheek post. I have always wondered how the duck and cover drills would help. Plenty more preps on my immediate list. (thanks again) I am approximately 20 miles from downtown Houston and 30 miles from the big chemical plants, which I always thought would be targets in an attack.

Too close for comfort.

A great many swimming pools in our neighborhood, but I doubt that there is one gas powered pump. We do have a couple chemical suits that are fire retardant. Thanks to my husbands many trips into the chemical plants. I purchased him a professional level first aid kit for chemical burns/trauma. I opened it up and familiarized myself with applications, adding more of items that I felt were lacking. I also added a case of Medihoney and gauze bandages. I do not relish the idea of nursing burn victims.

Praying that it never comes to this.

Time to have another neighborhood meeting on fire safety.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I notice a lot of younger people aren't aware just how nasty a nuclear exchange could be, and that has really been to the fore with this Ukrainian business. War has always been a terrible thing, but since the start of WW2 it is considerably worse and focusses much more on civilian casualties.

But there are several other very unpleasant alternatives... thermobaric bombs can unleash massive devastation on a limited area, and are supposedly being used in the Ukraine.

There are also other rumoured alternatives such as weather warfare, microwave bombardment, biological warfare etc. It is claimed some of these have already been used on a limited scale. Another very plausible possibility, which has been brought up on here is that tsunami can be artificially generated by undersea bombs.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Niemand wrote: March 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm I notice a lot of younger people aren't aware just how nasty a nuclear exchange could be, and that has really been to the fore with this Ukrainian business. War has always been a terrible thing, but since the start of WW2 it is considerably worse and focusses much more on civilian casualties.

But there are several other very unpleasant alternatives... thermobaric bombs can unleash massive devastation on a limited area, and are supposedly being used in the Ukraine.

There are also other rumoured alternatives such as weather warfare, microwave bombardment, biological warfare etc. It is claimed some of these have already been used on a limited scale. Another very plausible possibility, which has been brought up on here is that tsunami can be artificially generated by undersea bombs.
Weather-modification and Earthquake-generating weapons - surely they exist!
And who would be blamed?

EQ-generating machine was invented by Nikola Tesla, long story. Anyway, this will almost surely be used in the last days.
Moral - get AWAY from ANY earthquake fault-lines (Calif, W. Coast, Wasatch front, etc)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BroJones wrote: March 24th, 2022, 3:43 pm
Niemand wrote: March 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm I notice a lot of younger people aren't aware just how nasty a nuclear exchange could be, and that has really been to the fore with this Ukrainian business. War has always been a terrible thing, but since the start of WW2 it is considerably worse and focusses much more on civilian casualties.

Weather-modification and Earthquake-generating weapons - surely they exist!
And who would be blamed?

EQ-generating machine was invented by Nikola Tesla, long story. Anyway, this will almost surely be used in the last days.
Moral - get AWAY from ANY earthquake fault-lines (Calif, W. Coast, Wasatch front, etc)
I live in one of the most geologically stable parts of the world, thankfully. We just have other potential problems.

Weather modification is probably a lot more complex than people give credit for. The so called butterfly effect is not far off. If you wanted to give Cuba a few blizzards, then you could end up causing a drought in western Europe.

I think it would be more effective against some countries than others - for example China or India, because both of these countries back onto the Himalayas, and causing torrential rain up there could cause chaos further downstream across some of their major cities. That said, it could be effective against the USA, since a huge chunk of the country is on the Mississippi watershed.

A country like Libya or Algeria would be harder to attack, you would need a sustained drought and flooding might just stock up their underground water supplies.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Momma J wrote: March 24th, 2022, 5:22 am JK4Woods~ Thank you for a very informative response to my tongue in cheek post. I have always wondered how the duck and cover drills would help. Plenty more preps on my immediate list. (thanks again) I am approximately 20 miles from downtown Houston and 30 miles from the big chemical plants, which I always thought would be targets in an attack.

Too close for comfort.

A great many swimming pools in our neighborhood, but I doubt that there is one gas powered pump. We do have a couple chemical suits that are fire retardant. Thanks to my husbands many trips into the chemical plants. I purchased him a professional level first aid kit for chemical burns/trauma. I opened it up and familiarized myself with applications, adding more of items that I felt were lacking. I also added a case of Medihoney and gauze bandages. I do not relish the idea of nursing burn victims.

Praying that it never comes to this.

Time to have another neighborhood meeting on fire safety.

MommaJ,
Get yourself some Colloidal Silver Gel, (available at CVS). It’s great for large area skin abrasions and burns.

Also get yourself a Colloidal Silver Kit, which has the few bits and pieces necessary to make your own colloidal silver solution in distilled water.

Use mason jars, and store in cool dark closet.

I bought a half dozen brown glass nasal spray bottles from Amazon.

Colloidal Silver is a great antibiotic. It kills germs, and doesn’t hurt like alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

If you drink it, it tends to wipe out intestinal flora, so you’ll have to follow with regular large portions of yogurt.

The fear mongers online will say it’ll turn you blue (irreversibly)…

But as an antibiotic, (surface) it’s better than that antibiotic Creme in the yellow tubes.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JK4Woods wrote: March 24th, 2022, 4:30 pm The fear mongers online will say it’ll turn you blue (irreversibly)…
Argyria is real. I've no desire to look like a smurf.

I suppose it's just a coincidence this man was a vocal advocate for colloidal silver.

And there are others.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

A part of my son's military training was at Ft Leonard Wood Chemical Corp, training in Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) threats and hazards. I have one of his thumb drives with some great information. Next week when I get to the house I will upload what might be pertinent.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Momma J wrote: March 25th, 2022, 7:35 am A part of my son's military training was at Ft Leonard Wood Chemical Corp, training in Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) threats and hazards. I have one of his thumb drives with some great information. Next week when I get to the house I will upload what might be pertinent.
That will be much appreciated!
--Steve

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I will be back tomorrow and will check out the thumb drive.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

While we wait, take a look at a copy of this old but gold book. It was recomended to me from a friend who knows a thing or two about such things:
https://seasonedcitizenprepper.com/wp-c ... skills.pdf

Would it be worth anyone's time if I made a video demonstrating the meter?

Basically, an early warning alarm is key. Also get your comminity used to the idea that it's a real threat like a fire or a hurricane and you need to practice your plan.

Finally, after all that, I'm grateful for all the temperal things we have. We could lose it all in an instant and be living on a meager diet of rice and beans. But we haven't, and we have time to do a lot more good because of the abundance we have now.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

NeveR wrote: March 15th, 2022, 4:35 am I think the idea you can hide in your basement and get over a nuclear war is just denial. If you do survive the blast you will probably wish you hadn't. It's a terminal event for humanity.

The guy admits his vid is based on a 'limited' nuclear exchange. But it won't be limited. Neither side can afford to make it limited. Once it goes nuclear they will send over everything they have.

No one will survive that. Blast damage and contamination universally fatal.
Being a “terminal even for humanity” is a large exaggeration.
If you mean to say that many people will die and survivors will suffer greatly, then I very much agree.
I recommend reading the guide I linked to in a previous post here if you’d like to see a more realistic overview.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

BroJones wrote: March 15th, 2022, 9:23 am I try to see things from the viewpoint of REVELATIONS given about the last days. Jesus spoke of these things, and Joseph and many others.

I think that EMP is the most likely scenario to befall the Whore Babylon, inflicted by -- whom? There is no fallout associated with a high-altitude EMP blast, and it could be inflicted by North Korean missiles. Go ahead and retaliate against N. Korea, if you can prove they did it.

Grid-out could also be inflicted by a CME from the Sun... or by anonymous hacking of grid controls.

The preps that I do with and for family will help us for a wide variety of last-days scenarios...
I know this is getting to the gritty details but there are multiple kinds of EMPs, and multiple types of denotations. Most importantly, what we need to consider is if we are using devices which rely on semiconductors. (As we might expect, most current backup generators use semiconductor devices). They are just so darn efficient. I can’t honestly recommend any generator without testing their thermal second breakdown. And unfortunately, I can’t do this by analysis because you won’t find it on a datasheet anywhere! You must test.

To anyone else who bothered reading this post: What I’m saying is if you think we are likely to experience an electromagnetic pulse, you’re going to have to speculate about how severe that pulse will be. And know that anything linked up to your power line is at risk. Oh, and any electrical conductor can become an antenna. That is all.