How is Russia faring in Ukraine?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lemarque
captain of 100

How is Russia faring in Ukraine?

Post by Lemarque »

Based on what you have seen, how would you say the Russia/Ukraine conflict is going for Russia?

The maps I have seen show limited incursions so far for Russia. I think overall they are going to come out on top, but when you consider Russia's resources compared to Ukraine I guess I'm a little surprised Russia in control of more areas, especially Kharkiv and Mariupol.

Here's the most recent map I've seen:
photo_2022-02-25_15-01-05.jpg
photo_2022-02-25_15-01-05.jpg (72.18 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Also, there's a document going around from the Russian Ministry of Health, signed by deputy health minister and dated February 25. It asks medical organisations to be ready ‘to be promptly involved in activities aimed at saving lives & preserving the health of people in Russia.’

I guess I kind of expected Russia would blitzkrieg Ukraine and essentially control the country almost immediately. I'm now thinking I overestimated Russia, and underestimated how much Ukraine would fight back.

I wonder how Russia would fare against a NATO country considering how the last two days have gone.

Some caveats: From what I have seen, Russia has no desire to attack civilians and is specifically targeting military only. In a true war I don't think they would be so restrained. Also, this could be some type of distraction they are doing, perhaps they don't have as many troops actively attacking as have been reported. I don't really know. Maybe they are dragging it out to keep the attention in Ukraine while their new ally China gets ready for Taiwan.

Curious to know what others think of Russia's 'success' so far.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: How is Russia faring in Ukraine?

Post by Durzan »

Ukraine actually has home field advantage, and the weather may be slowing Russian advance down.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I believe somewhere out there, some person who contols the world is saying....
excellent-everything-is-proceeding-as-i-have-foreseen-it.jpg
excellent-everything-is-proceeding-as-i-have-foreseen-it.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Last edited by tribrac on February 26th, 2022, 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

If Russia fails or struggles notably in what they've attempted, they're going to be the laughing stock of the world and in historical trouble

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

BuriedTartaria wrote: February 25th, 2022, 10:10 pm If Russia fails or struggles notably in what they've attempted, they're going to be the laughing stock of the world and in historical trouble
One could hope this happens.....not so sure though....

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Lemarque wrote: February 25th, 2022, 9:11 pm Some caveats: From what I have seen, Russia has no desire to attack civilians and is specifically targeting military only. In a true war I don't think they would be so restrained.
No, this exactly what happens in a true war. There is no strategic advantage in slaughtering civilians. If the civilians are not fighting back, no need to waste resources in fighting them.

I guess we are too used to see how the terrorists act. They want to create terror and fight according to different rules. But that is not "true war".

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Well, it's a crazy time to mount an invasion of the Ukraine. Funny to see Russia repeating the mistake of Napoleon and Hitler.

What I'm seeing here is reinforcement of the Crimea and the two breakaway republics, together with an attack on Kiev.

Kiev is the interesting one. Are they planning to occupy it or just scare the government away from the east?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Niemand wrote: February 26th, 2022, 3:18 am Kiev is the interesting one. Are they planning to occupy it or just scare the government away from the east?
I believe that Putin wants to replace the current government with puppets. To do that, something has to be done to the current leaders. Perhaps scaring them away, or then capture them and accuse them with some bogus charges so that they can be imprisoned.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

All they really want seemingly is the Novorussia territory, which is mostly Russian already. Considering they already annexed Donetsk, Luhansk, and Crimea, they only need the Southeastern part of the country.

The blitz to Kiev is mostly to force a treaty to be signed creating a neutral NATO buffer.

Territory Putin wants. Like two countries already. Linguistically, politically, and ethnicity.

The Javelin rockets have been the biggest deterrent to success. And the false Neocon narrative about Russian military might has been brought to light. The trillions and trillions the military industrial complex slurps up every year because, muh Russia has been shown to be a fake news farce of the highest caliber.

I would estimate the longer the conflict goes on, the higher the escalation will be. Both with increasing threats from the West, becoming involved in things like
No-Fly zones, to Russia becoming increasingly annoyed by the West feeding highly advanced rockets to Ukraine.

If it’s over quickly, it will be a self contained incident. Ukraine will go from a US Biden puppet regime, to a Russia Putin puppet regime. If it drags on, the entire region will potentially be drawn into a nuclear conflict.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

It appears as if our preliminary efforts to boost Ukraine air defense had been a big part of their success so far. I think Russia underestimated Ukraine's capabilities. Reports this morning seem to indicate increasing weaponry being supplied from NATO forces across the western borders in Poland and Hungary.

I would not underestimate men who are fighting to defend their families and homes from invasion. I am proud of Zelensky and his willingness to stand with his people and not flee. Would Joe be standing there with a rifle beside us if WE were invaded? I doubt it. I hope NATO can continue to funnel them the support they need. I'm watching this unfold, as I believe there is a lot we can learn from it. Heaven forbid we ever see warfare like this in our own streets in our own lifetimes.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

inho wrote: February 26th, 2022, 3:58 am
Niemand wrote: February 26th, 2022, 3:18 am Kiev is the interesting one. Are they planning to occupy it or just scare the government away from the east?
I believe that Putin wants to replace the current government with puppets. To do that, something has to be done to the current leaders. Perhaps scaring them away, or then capture them and accuse them with some bogus charges so that they can be imprisoned.
I fear that Putin will likely execute them all on live TV. He is one cold SOB.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

In the long run I guess Putin could have bitten off more than he can chew. We'll see.
If he attacks a NATO country he'll come unstuck because we've all been waving our rainbow flags and practicing our preferred pronouns for a while now.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

An interesting map someone made, showing how the US did in Iraq after 48 hours, vs Russia. Keep in mind Ukraine is about twice as big as Iraq.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Lexew1899 wrote: February 26th, 2022, 7:03 am An interesting map someone made, showing how the US did in Iraq after 48 hours, vs Russia. Keep in mind Ukraine is about twice as big as Iraq.
Yes Ukraine is closer to the size of Texas. It's a 6 hour drive from Kharkov to Kiev. It's about 8 hours from Odessa to Kiev. The roads in Ukraine are also not the best, in the cities it is decent outside no.

Military has to sleep, eat, rest fight, conquer move on. The only way this was going to end within a few days was if Russia could convince Ukraine to surrender. Ukraine will lose this fight.

Why? They are a joke. A week ago no one in Ukraine thought Russia would invade. Their President made a joke about it and made a joke about getting nuclear weapons right before the invasion! How stupid can you get.

The civilian population doesn't have weapons. This isn't Iraq or Afghanistan were civilians have had access to weapons for years. Kiev handed out 10000 AKs and 2 boxes of ammo. That's not being serious.

What 50-100 rounds that's not going to do Jack. People claiming Russia has run out of gas. Come on people...again not serious.

This war is a forgone conclusion, it just a matter of how many people die getting there....and for what?

This could have easily been prevented but no the US wanted to play tough guy and bully Russia around. Now China is conducting military exercises from Sunday to Tues in the south China sea.

This is big boys politics and our idiot leaders are driving to war.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 26th, 2022, 5:43 am I hope NATO can continue to funnel them the support they need. I'm watching this unfold, as I believe there is a lot we can learn from it.
If you hope that, you hope for wider war.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I hope NATO crushes Russia and sets them back fifty years of progress. And it becomes a deterrent for China. Settle their arses down, too.

Might actually bring more stabilization.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Charlie Wilson's war 2.0

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Almost as important as the actual war, is the propaganda war. The fake news has been pretty thick in this one.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:50 am I hope NATO crushes Russia and sets them back fifty years of progress. And it becomes a deterrent for China. Settle their arses down, too.

Might actually bring more stabilization.
Completely reckless and irresponsible, unless you want millions to die. The best thing would be NATO to retreat from influencing Ukraine, and for Ukraine to return to being a neutral buffer state. And for the US to stop meddling in the region.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

If millions die, the blood is on Putin's hands. The entire world told him for months not to invade Ukraine. He does not care what it costs him in blood. He is a psychopath.

Yes, at this point, rather than a prolonged conflict, I would rather see the united strength of the NATO forces bomb Mr Putin and his regime into oblivion.

Based on the Russian protests against the invasion, his own people don't want this war, either.

So let's end it.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I'm beginning to suspect you are a Russian troll/ propagandist.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

The Simpsons stand with Ukraine.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:03 am If millions die, the blood is on Putin's hands. The entire world told him for months not to invade Ukraine. He does not care what it costs him in blood. He is a psychopath.

Yes, at this point, rather than a prolonged conflict, I would rather see the united strength of the NATO forces bomb Mr Putin and his regime into oblivion.

Based on the Russian protests against the invasion, his own people don't want this war, either.

So let's end it.
Put away your Risk board game and go read a book.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:03 am If millions die, the blood is on Putin's hands. The entire world told him for months not to invade Ukraine. He does not care what it costs him in blood. He is a psychopath.

So let's end it.
Yes, Brother! We must kill, kill, KILL! WE WANT RUSSIAN BLOOD IN BATHS! Let us Kill all of them! ALL OF THEM! KILL KILL KILL! MILLIONS AND MILLIONS DEAD! DEAD, DEAD, DEAD! Let us buy up armies, and navies, missiles, and rockets! LETS KILL, KILL, KILL! That is the spirit brother!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:05 am I'm beginning to suspect you are a Russian troll/ propagandist.
Typical