“Repentance” by Robert Smith

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
An Eye Single
captain of 100

“Repentance” by Robert Smith

Post by An Eye Single »

Links to print and Ebook versions of “Repentance” can by found on the UpwardThought website. :)

http://upwardthought.blogspot.com/2022 ... tance.html

logonbump
captain of 100

Re: “Repentance” by Robert Smith

Post by logonbump »

Also check out his book, Teaching for Doctrines the Commandments of Men: Tradition in Modern Mormonism.
(PDF book is out there, too. Funny story about the cover of that book)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

logonbump wrote: February 18th, 2022, 9:17 am Also check out his book, Teaching for Doctrines the Commandments of Men: Tradition in Modern Mormonism.
I read this book a while ago.
Verdict: Rubbish

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Robin Hood wrote: February 18th, 2022, 9:58 am
logonbump wrote: February 18th, 2022, 9:17 am Also check out his book, Teaching for Doctrines the Commandments of Men: Tradition in Modern Mormonism.
It seems to have just come out.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

nightlight wrote: February 18th, 2022, 11:15 am
I think that RH was talking about Teaching For Doctrine the Commandments of Men.

While I would love to hear the reasons why you thought that book was rubbish, RH (perhaps in another thread), you should give “Repentance” a chance. The free Ebook won’t cost you anything, and I believe it to be well worth your time.

I put a few thoughts about it up on my blog. It’s got one of my favorite quotes from the book. I might write more about it here or on my blog later, too.

https://thewordofthelorduntome.blogspo ... h.html?m=0

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It was published a number of years ago and has been discussed at length on this forum in the past.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

An Eye Single wrote: February 18th, 2022, 11:33 am
I think that RH was talking about Teaching For Doctrine the Commandments of Men.

While I would love to hear the reasons why you thought that book was rubbish, RH (perhaps in another thread), you should give “Repentance” a chance. The free Ebook won’t cost you anything, and I believe it to be well worth your time.

I put a few thoughts about it up on my blog. It’s got one of my favorite quotes from the book. I might write more about it here or on my blog later, too.

https://thewordofthelorduntome.blogspo ... h.html?m=0
You're right, I was talking about the previous book, which was obvious because I quoted the post about the previous book.... in my post.

I will reserve judgment regarding this book, but I think repentance is something we do rather than something we read about. Repentance is not a difficult thing.

Smith's recent ramblings about relationships with young girls and the hot water he got into as a result, colours my judgment somewhat. I would be very surprised if he has anything important to say.

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

If as you say, you know the premise of the book.. maybe then do dispute his claims?!!

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

are we talking about the same Robert Smith ?
The one who wrote this book ?
Because I think there are 2 Robert Smith's

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

Being There wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:36 am are we talking about the same Robert Smith ?
The one who wrote this book ?
Because I think there are 2 Robert Smith's

There are 2 Robert Smiths. The author who wrote “Repentance” (the book recommended in the OP) is NOT the same as the one who wrote “The Last Days Unsealed.”

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

Just posted this to FB:

I recently wrapped up the recording of another audiobook. This one is entitled, “Repentance.” Several chapter recordings are already available on YouTube, and remaining chapters are being released daily.

There is a good chance that this will be the last audiobook that I record, and I couldn’t have asked for better subject matter. With everything that is going on in the world, at both individual and societal levels (not that those are completely disentangled from one another), many people have felt the need to repent, or to call on others to repent, or both.

It has been unfortunate that the concept of “repentance” has had a heavy-handed, institutionally-religious feel to it, especially when the practice is so needed and, whether you want to admit it or not, so desired by the deepest parts of the human soul. Many people reject the idea of repentance because of its association with organized religions that bear no fruit (or bad fruit) or because of the imagined torment that one has to go through in order to practice it.

Whether you consider yourself “religious” or not, I invite you to listen to or (better, yet) read the book. For those who already believe in repentance, it will clarify and simplify the concept, making its practice much more efficacious than it is currently. And for those who would normally be disinterested in the topic, I give added encouragement to introduce yourself to the book. The truth is that even the staunchest atheist likely happily practices something that resembles repentance in the form of self-improvement, but a better understanding and practice of the principle will yield results that are orders of magnitude better than what can be attained without.

The YouTube playlist can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=de ... MgE2-6h1cC

Print copy of “Repentance” (at cost) can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Repentance-Makin ... 388&sr=8-1

And a free downloadable ebook can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n-gvFO ... p=drivesdk