Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime series)

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime series)

Post by JohnnyL »

This has got to be one of the worst adaptations/ most use of artistic license I have ever seen.

The script, the casting, the acting, the timing, the overall feeling--horrible! I had a hard time watching 10 minutes. A few weeks later, I managed another 10, with fast forwarding.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime series)

Post by Niemand »

JohnnyL wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:17 am This has got to be one of the worst adaptations/ most use of artistic license I have ever seen.

The script, the casting, the acting, the timing, the overall feeling--horrible! I had a hard time watching 10 minutes. A few weeks later, I managed another 10, with fast forwarding.
This was on my watchlist. No more I suspect.

I only managed about twenty minutes of Vikings. The Man in the High Castle was uneven and the fourth series was not great, but it had its moments before then.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

This is disappointing. I also have read a bit about the upcoming "Rings of Power" - the Second Age of Middle Earth - that leads me to believe that it is another "get woke, go broke" project. We'll see.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:23 am
JohnnyL wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:17 am This has got to be one of the worst adaptations/ most use of artistic license I have ever seen.

This was on my watchlist. No more I suspect.

I only managed about twenty minutes of Vikings. The Man in the High Castle was uneven and the fourth series was not great, but it had its moments before then.
At least Vikings might be pleasing to look at. They [Wheel of Time] must have lined everyone up and chosen the ugliest they could find.
There are huge changes in the characters' characters, and weird interactions.
Everything is dark, so much so that sometimes I still can't see even after turning my screen to full brightness.
And it is very, very slow. Like, "Hey, I heard if it goes slow, drama builds, and it makes it more artistic." "Let's do it!!"
Last edited by JohnnyL on February 16th, 2022, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egoof
captain of 100

Post by Egoof »

I watched the first season and was pretty disappointed. I'm a HUGE fan of the books so I had high hopes. It had a lot of the story but was full of progressive agendas and wokism. They also made some large changes which didn't work that well for me. It's in my top 3 fantasy series of all time but I don't think I will tune in for season 2.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

It made me sad

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I am waiting patiently for the new fandom of the Wheel of Time to die off so that I can once again buy the books at a reasonable price at the used book store. (I was cleaning out my shelves and sold them a few years ago... so disappointed in myself)

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

The left destroys. They do not create.

These people are trying to present a new reality. This is why they continually hijack existing properties. They are parasites.

Every new property they attempt to create fails miserably because the way their characters look and behave has no basis in how real people behave and look. Consequently, no one relates to or likes them and only the woke religionists continue to watch.

They ruin everything they touch.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I made it into 15 minutes of episode one. I REALLY tried to give it a chance, I know that sometimes it can take a bit for a story to catch its stride. But I just couldn't do it, it felt like I was watching one of those old Zena or Conan shows from the 90s and at least those may have been more compelling.

It feels geared to a much younger audience that doesn't care about acting, plot, character development, etc. I'm not familiar with the books so maybe I'm missing something. This is coming from a guy who forced his way through BOTH seasons of Wayward Pines. I just couldn't endure this series, maybe someone else can tell me that it gets better later on, but I haven't heard this yet.

NeveR
captain of 1,000

Post by NeveR »

My bro who loves those books was incoherent with disgust at the adaptation. He says they seemed to have made it bad for no reason other than to destroy something that had spiritual and artistic value.

I said to him - if you think that's bad, wait for the new LoTR series...😱🤢

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Original_Intent wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:26 am This is disappointing. I also have read a bit about the upcoming "Rings of Power" - the Second Age of Middle Earth - that leads me to believe that it is another "get woke, go broke" project. We'll see.
If you've seen the new trailer, I'm afraid you're going to be in for some major disappointment.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

When hollywood presents Polynesian myths and stories, they are represented as Polynesians. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When hollywood presents African myths and stories, they are represented as Africans. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When hollywood presents Chinese myths and stories, they are represented as Asians. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
when hollywood presents Japanese myths and stories, they are represented as Japanese. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When Hollywood presents European myths and stories, they must be represented by all races and all sexualities, and the story must be changed to match modern ideology

Does this seem like diversity is important to them? Or does it seem more like destruction of western culture is the goal?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

WoT was my escape when I was kid. When Robert Jordan died I was really upset

But His brilliant wife picked the best person to finish the series

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The only good thing that came out of Amazon's TV show is that it will cause more people to read the books

Kaarno
captain of 100

Post by Kaarno »

nightlight wrote: February 16th, 2022, 12:27 pm WoT was my escape when I was kid. When Robert Jordan died I was really upset

But His brilliant wife picked the best person to finish the series
This man is a treasure.

Wheel of time is my favorite. What they did was sickening and unforgivable.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Serragon wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:43 am The left destroys. They do not create.
The current lot are, but that is not true going back further. There have been many talented left wing writers/painters/film makers/musicians in the past.
Serragon wrote: February 16th, 2022, 12:04 pm When hollywood presents Polynesian myths and stories, they are represented as Polynesians. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When hollywood presents African myths and stories, they are represented as Africans. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When hollywood presents Chinese myths and stories, they are represented as Asians. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
when hollywood presents Japanese myths and stories, they are represented as Japanese. The stories are left to speak for themselves.
When Hollywood presents European myths and stories, they must be represented by all races and all sexualities, and the story must be changed to match modern ideology

Does this seem like diversity is important to them? Or does it seem more like destruction of western culture is the goal?
Being contrarian again, I'm afraid, but this wasn't always the case.

Does this guy look Chinese to you? Because it's James Mason pretending to be one. Needless to say his nose and eyes are all wrong.

In fact most of the actors in Genghis Khan are white.

John Wayne playing a Mongol. His nose is a bit big for the part. He looks about as much of an east Asian as I do.

Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu. He puts in a good performance, but again the big occidental nose is a bit hard to get past.

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Original_Intent wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:26 am This is disappointing. I also have read a bit about the upcoming "Rings of Power" - the Second Age of Middle Earth - that leads me to believe that it is another "get woke, go broke" project. We'll see.
That's exactly what the "Rings of Power" will be. And the young, weird looking elf is supposed to be Elrond, from what I've read. I'm pretty bummed.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I wouldn't worry about Tolkien. You can always get the books, or at least the memory of them after they've all been burnt in a pile.
Last edited by Niemand on February 17th, 2022, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

oneClimbs wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:53 am I made it into 15 minutes of episode one. I REALLY tried to give it a chance, I know that sometimes it can take a bit for a story to catch its stride. But I just couldn't do it, it felt like I was watching one of those old Zena or Conan shows from the 90s and at least those may have been more compelling.

It feels geared to a much younger audience that doesn't care about acting, plot, character development, etc. I'm not familiar with the books so maybe I'm missing something. This is coming from a guy who forced his way through BOTH seasons of Wayward Pines. I just couldn't endure this series, maybe someone else can tell me that it gets better later on, but I haven't heard this yet.
Ha ha, I made it about 10 minutes through Wayward Pines.

Movie/series adaptations of books are very hit or miss.

Now if someone would just do some good Sanderson ones... :)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

NeveR wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:54 am My bro who loves those books was incoherent with disgust at the adaptation. He says they seemed to have made it bad for no reason other than to destroy something that had spiritual and artistic value.
Yeah, that's seriously about it--it's like someone was trying to make it bad. I think a few 10th graders could have written a better script. Especially if they had read the books.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The fashion on TV (and film) just now is to have the actors mumbling, and the screen incredibly dark all the time. (So you can take advantage of your HDTV - a bit like sixties shows were colourful to show off colour TVs.)

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 7:03 pm
Serragon wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:43 am The left destroys. They do not create.
The current lot are, but that is not true going back further. There have been many talented left wing writers/painters/film makers/musicians in the past.
Serragon wrote: February 16th, 2022, 12:04 pm When hollywood presents Polynesian myths and stories, they are represented as Polynesians. The stories are left to speak for themselves.

Does this guy look Chinese to you? Because it's James Mason pretending to be one. Needless to say his nose and eyes are all wrong.

John Wayne playing a Mongol. His nose is a bit big for the part. He looks about as much of an east Asian as I do.

Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu. He puts in a good performance, but again the big occidental nose is a bit hard to get past.

Your pictures prove my point. Even when using actors of another race, they are presented as chinese.

Now, we get people race and gender swapped for diversity, but this only happens to depictions of western culture and history. The goal is not to be diverse, but to change and destroy western culture.

As for the left beng creative: progressives are parasites. Liberals can be creative, but they no longer exist on the left. The progressive ideology has complete dominance.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Serragon wrote: February 17th, 2022, 3:32 am
Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 7:03 pm

Your pictures prove my point. Even when using actors of another race, they are presented as chinese.

Now, we get people race and gender swapped for diversity, but this only happens to depictions of western culture and history. The goal is not to be diverse, but to change and destroy western culture.

As for the left beng creative: progressives are parasites. Liberals can be creative, but they no longer exist on the left. The progressive ideology has complete dominance.
I don't consider these people to be liberal, as I've said elsewhere. There are some very talented people who have had horrendous views. What we see nowadays is the swansong of post-modernism. They don't want originality, they want to rewrite history, yet in a framework they're comfortable with.

I think John Wayne playing a Mongol (NB - not Chinese) is about as bad as that black woman (whatever she's called) playing an Elizabethan noblewoman. I suppose you can theoretically have this casting - the Japanese do Broadway/West End musicals with all Japanese casts (due to the language barrier). Most of the folk who used to play native Americans on screen were white. Some of them never looked the part at all and the costumes were generic.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

JohnnyL wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:17 pm
oneClimbs wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:53 am I made it into 15 minutes of episode one. I REALLY tried to give it a chance, I know that sometimes it can take a bit for a story to catch its stride. But I just couldn't do it, it felt like I was watching one of those old Zena or Conan shows from the 90s and at least those may have been more compelling.

Ha ha, I made it about 10 minutes through Wayward Pines.

Movie/series adaptations of books are very hit or miss.

Now if someone would just do some good Sanderson ones... :)
I watched it while I had Covid and was weak and couldn’t do anything else. I thought the first part of season one was kind of interesting and then the big reveal halfway through was pretty nuts. It’s a really creative idea but poorly executed.

There was no excuse for season two. I saw it for the dumpster fire that it was. My wife had Covid as well, she had to see how it ended. Sunk cost fallacy took over and we watched the dumpster burn.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Niemand wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:28 am The fashion on TV (and film) just now is to have the actors mumbling, and the screen incredibly dark all the time. (So you can take advantage of your HDTV - a bit like sixties shows were colourful to show off colour TVs.)
BUT... the music must be deafening, because "it's all in the music". Makes it hard to set the volume at a balanced level, which means lots of old people just watch old things.

I had no idea what colors the Star Trek people wore--we watched it in black and white.